A Timeskip Without Anno

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

A Timeskip Without Anno

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:33 pm

I've been noticing people more and more clamoring for a series or OVA or even another film to cover Rebuild's missing 14 years, and it got me wondering:

If Anno wasn't attached to the project and somebody else overtook production of such a thing, would you still watch it?

Personally, I wouldn't. I don't trust Eva in the hands of anyone else. What are your thoughts?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Here's the thing about Anno not being attached to it:

If Anno is done with Eva and wants to do something else, that is what khara will have to do. Animators are a precious resource and khara is still a small studio. Fighting over freelancers with other studios doesn't make for good scheduling and consistent progress.

Now if Anno goes off somewhere to either shoot another live action movie or simply chill out, leaving the rest of the staff to do whatever then it might be plausible. But who's to say the rest of the staff isn't bored of Eva either after 8+ years on the same damn project?

This is why I don't see an animated timeskip project as likely. Spinoff manga or novel is infinitely less of a hassle and more likely to happen. But that's also dependent on whether Anno and co. believe the entire timeskip is worth exploring beyond answering maybe 3-4 questions that matter for the main movies.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:58 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Spinoff manga or novel is infinitely less of a hassle and more likely to happen.

...Given a decade or two :wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Doesn't have to be Sadamoto. I would in fact prefer for it to be anyone but him. He's good at designing stuff but an abysmal storyteller.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Also, I tend to cease to care about non-Anno related Eva. If Anno’s done with Eva, then so am I.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:42 pm

It doesn't have to be Anno, but I would want it to be somebody very closely connected to the story of the series/movies.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Also even if Anno isn't the one who make it, as long as he collaborate closely so whoever do that spin-off doesn't do crap is fine with me.

Seeing all the crazy awesomeness implied to have happened during the past 14 years with Asuka and especially Mari being the Wunder's main line of defense against neo-NERV or simple all the shenanigans they could had pulled off, Yamashita would be perfectly qualified for it! :D
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Although, in this scenario, I think we're taking it to mean that Anno isn't involved with the new project in any way. That could just be me misinterpreting the OP, though.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Now, with the story line of 14 year time skip between 2.0 and 3.0, they could definitely make a spin off show, movie, manga, etc. The story is there, they have a lot to work with in the 14 years. And with the case of it not being directed by Anno. The 14 years in between don't deal with too much of Shinji, only what he caused, therefor since Shinji isn't involved I think it would be fine. Although in honesty, unless somehow Anno ends up dying I would find it hard for him not to be involved in it.

It doesn't have to be Anno, but I would want it to be somebody very closely connected to the story of the series/movies.
by Nuclear Lunchbox
I have the same opinion, if it was someone who never worked on Evangelion or simply is new to working with the franchise, it would be a failure.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:49 pm

They certainly would have a lot to work with to make a spin-off show potentially work, but personally I'd rather the timeskip be addressed in Final. Namely clearing up the inconsistencies in Kaworu's infodump and showing us how Shinji got stuck with the blame for Third Impact and the landscape devastation.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Does Anno have any kids?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:24 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Does Anno have any kids?

That's a really good question, allthough if he does, I think any-self respecting father would make sure their kids don't go through the depression he did. And it's another thing to say if his kids have anything to do with the Evangelion Franchise.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 pm

As of this moment? No. Happily Married? Yes. With Children? No

Not to mention Japans population is getting Older, and less and less Children are being born.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:28 pm

I was thinking about what Miyazaki did for his son... but mostly I was thinking

Child: I don't wanna get in the Director's seat.

Anno: {insert name here} get in the fucking Director's seat.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Anno's not going to have any kids. It's not in his character.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:31 pm

In 2002 Hideaki Anno married a fashion writer and manga artist named Moyoco. I don’t think they’ve had children, and with Moyoco in her 40’s, it seems very unlikely at this point that she can have kids.

Though, if they wanted, adoption is always an option.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:32 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Anno's not going to have any kids. It's not in his character.

As much as a production statement that is, I'd agree, also isn't Anno getting up there or is he in his late 40?

Edit- According to Wikipedia he is 53.
Last edited by Sicarius VI on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Guy Nacks in 2013 wrote:From what I remember of the "Anno teaches kids" video from '98, I'm pretty sure that at some point he said that he's really uncomfortable around children, and the narrator explained that he had to be talked into doing the program.

Whether he's like this now is up for debate, however, photo's of him posing with young fans are practically nonexistent, if that's any indication.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:38 pm

He should just clone himself and teach his clone the ways of Anno.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Keep in mind that Anno having a child doesn't mean that child will be anything like the master himself.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”