Visiting Japan [UPDATED: Eva World report with photos]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Riotgear
Adam

Visiting Japan [UPDATED: Eva World report with photos]

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I've read through the older threads I could find that covered visiting Japan, but it's been a couple of years since those topics saw any activity, so hopefully no one will mind if I start afresh here.

I'm visiting Japan two weeks from now (from the 13th to the 30th), and it turns out to be pretty bad timing.
Evastore Tokyo-01 is in the middle of relocating.
The Eva Exhibit is in between locations.
The Eva Sword Exhibit is touring outside of the country.

Thank gosh the whole "Hakone as Tokyo-3" tourism thing is still in swing. So I can still visit the relevant series setting locations, check out Hakone's own little Evastore ("Eva-Ya") at the train station, and visit Eva World at Fuji-Q Highland.

I also found the Kotobukiya store near Akihabara, so I'll investigate and see what Eva figures they have in stock.

But it's not enough, dammit! So I lay myself prostrate at the feet of you good people, and beg for any suggestions you might have on other Eva-relevant places to visit, whether it be Eva Pachinko machines, themed cafes, or Lawson/7-Eleven stores that might still be doing Eva promotions. I'm grateful for any little suggestion of anywhere I might be able to fling some cash at some merch (been good with my money long enough, the promised time is now at hand).

This old article mentions a possible "third branch of the Evangelion theme stores" - wonder if that actually eventuated.

This "Third Impact" tour (which I wish I'd discovered earlier) mentions restaurants, so I guess there is still still some places offering Eva-themed menu items? Guess I should try contacting them to ask about it.

I'll probably visit Tokyo Skytree, maybe they still stock a few Eva souvenirs.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone that can offer some advice.

UPDATE: My little report on my visit to Eva World is now online.
Last edited by Riotgear on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I'll be on the Third Impact Tour. :kaworusparkle: Will miss the 7-Eleven promo though. :asuka_miffed:

Based on my haven't been there yet knowledge:

-Book Off: For used books, etc.
-Nakano Broadway: Going to search for cels here. The one store I know that would stock them and other used as well as new goods is Mandarake.
-Skytree: I have seen video of there being Eva merch here.

Other stores I can think of are Animate and I've heard that near the UFO catcher places are stores that buy the prizes that people win and sell them.

As for Hakone, I've also seen Eva-themed merch (e.g. Kaji manju) at the funicular station from IG.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Just curious (assuming I ever visit Japan, I might bump this thread, but that won't be for a few years): do they have Gashapon machines of Eva goodies/figures all over in the cities, or is that mainly in Akihabara?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:27 am

I did a lot of searching at various BOOKOFF stores in pretty much every city I went to in Japan when I was there last. Most of them have both books and DVDs and CDs and stuff, but it's always a lottery to what you're going to find. I focused mainly on stuff I wouldn't be able to get online.

Other than that you just gotta keep your eyes peeled for anything Evangelion.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Thank you for your suggestions and tips, guys. I've managed to locate most of the stores you've mentioned.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:I'll be on the Third Impact Tour.

Wow, cool! I was wondering if one of the lucky 20 people booked on that tour were EGF members. I bet you'll have a blast, and probably make some great friends! I'd love to hear about it after it's over.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:As for Hakone, I've also seen Eva-themed merch (e.g. Kaji manju) at the funicular station from IG.

IG = Ig Cafe (イグ・カフェ)? Is it an Ig Cafe at this funicular station?

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Do they have Gashapon machines of Eva goodies/figures all over in the cities, or is that mainly in Akihabara?

If you don't get a reply from someone else before then, I'll let you know if I spy any in my travels around various cities.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:24 pm

IG = Instagram. The Eva-Ya stuff is too cool. Let us know what you find and I'll build from there! :Kaji:
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 pm

View Original PostRiotgear wrote:If you don't get a reply from someone else before then, I'll let you know if I spy any in my travels around various cities.

Please do, I'm curious if they're commonplace or not.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:54 pm

How could I forget this, reach out to the guy who runs http://evangelion.eu/ , he's been to Japan a few times, most recently to see 3.0. He is also a member here but hasn't been active in over a year.

Tolwyn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tolwyn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:33 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:He is also a member here but hasn't been active in over a year.

Yea sorry, but i m usually hell busy, and find hardly time to update my own site lately

Nakano is always a good place to blow out money
www.evangelion.eu

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm also planning on visiting Japan sometime in the relative future. Probably won't be for a year, possibly two, though as my income is nothing special and I'll only be able to put 50-100 back at a time. I plan on visiting the Ghibli Museum, maybe a beach in Okinawa or somewhere, shopping around different districts, visiting hotsprings and heading to Evangelion World around Mt. Fuji. I plan to stay for no shorter than two weeks, but hopefully a month at most so I can get the most bang for my buck and get the full experience.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Over a month later and I finally got off my ass and posted a little writeup on my trip to Eva World (it's mostly just photos). A special thanks to Fazmotron for giving me the OK to do a little comparison between the attraction's current state and how it was during his visit in 2012.

There's photos of the 3.0-themed stuff that was added during last year's renewal project, which hasn't been covered online quite as much as the likes of the life-size Eva-01. So perhaps the exhibits like this one are new to some of you:
I'll also be covering my visit to the little "Eva-Ya" store, plus my Eva-themed sightseeing experience in Hakone, in the near future.

Sailor Star Dust: I examined every toy capsule machine I spied in the five different locations I stayed, and was surprised and disappointed that the only place I found Eva gashapon was at Eva World. I didn't get to spend more than a few hours in Akihabara, but even there I had no luck (though stores did of course sell other Eva merch there). However, I think that these machines are probably in frequent rotation, as they generally seem to be related to the most current popular franchises. So if you visit around the time that the final Rebuild film comes out, there should be a higher likelihood you'll find Eva toy capsules.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:33 pm

I also owe the forum an update, although I just got back 2 days ago. Will rebump the Third Impact Tour page when I can.

About the gashapon, I too did not see them anywhere except for Eva World and Eva-Ya. The Eva-Ya ones dispense can badges (mini pins) of headshots of the pilots and Pen-Pen in Hakone.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Great write-up RG, except all it does is make me want to go back.

Also, I hope you got some churros while you were there.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Faz, did you go with someone else when you were at Eva World?

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:27 am

Nope, I was all by my lonesome. I had to leave my family in Tokyo in the morning, then meet up with them in Kyoto in the evening, it was a weird day.
Would have been great to go with someone else though, even just so I could get my photo taken with all the bits and pieces.

So... anyone keen for an EvaGeeks meet-up at Fuji Q?
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:09 pm

One day, for sure. :nod: But probably not for another 2-3 years on my end, assuming it's still around then!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”