Robin Williams as Gendo

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Robin Williams as Gendo

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Five years ago, some guy said some thing.

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Carl confirmed that Robin Williams did indeed audition to play Gendo in the dub and that his audition recording still exists somewhere.

Now that he's.. erm, passed, and everyone's making petitions about him, I figure now's as good a time as any to petition for the release of this recording.

Come to think of it, why would they reject Robin Williams? His name attached to the dub of Evangelion would've guaranteed, like, a kajillion more sales.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:45 pm

It also would've been insanely distracting and maybe they thought it would be prohibitively expensive. You wouldn't be able to separate actor from the role, unless he did it under an alias and disguised his voice well enough. It would be interesting to have this uncovered and see what scene he read from.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJijaSv9pjs#t=14m55s

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:It also would've been insanely distracting.

I don't know what that means.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:maybe they thought it would be prohibitively expensive

That is a fair point.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:You wouldn't be able to separate actor from the role, unless he did it under an alias and disguised his voice well enough.

You could say that about any role performed by a big actor.

So, one fair point.

Firetrout
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Firetrout » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:00 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:I don't know what that means.

I think he means people would've went "Hey, it's that guy!" instead of paying attention to the scene.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm

View Original PostFiretrout wrote:I think he means people would've went "Hey, it's that guy!" instead of paying attention to the scene.

Exactly.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm

^ Not really. You just remove Spike Spencer and everyone else who isn’t in the Hollywood big leagues and you cast the English dub the same way Disney does for Ghibli movies.

I’m picturing Robin Williams more as Fuyutsuki, with Patrick Stewart as Gendo. Ellie Fanning can play Asuka, and Scarlett Johansson can play either Misato or Ritsuko. Even if those are the only Hollywood players in the dub, we’ve already increased its quality 10 fold and made it so people aren’t constantly asking “Hey, is that voice from that one actor guy?"

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:33 pm

View Original PostFiretrout wrote:I think he means people would've went "Hey, it's that guy!" instead of paying attention to the scene.

Robin Williams is an amazing impressionist. Besides, the "hey, it's that guy" would wear off after five minutes.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:04 am

Probably the bigger problem would be the requirement to pay SAG wages rather than whatever pittance they wanted to offer the voice talent at the time.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:38 am

I'm pretty sure Robin Williams could have played Asuka and it still would have been golden.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:43 pm

I'd bet Robin Williams would have played Gendo for free. It's not as if he needed the paycheck.

Too bad...
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:46 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I'd bet Robin Williams would have played Gendo for free. It's not as if he needed the paycheck.

Too bad...

Maybe back during the original dub, but by his second divorce, crippling alimony payments forced him to sell his house and pick up any job he could get, including returning to TV.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:57 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Maybe back during the original dub, but by his second divorce, crippling alimony payments forced him to sell his house and pick up any job he could get, including returning to TV.

This is why you should always get a prenup, especially if you're a celebrity.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Personally, I'd love to hear it. The man was a talent: he could be dramatic, creepy, subtle, frightening, pathetic, heartbreaking, terrifying, electrifying...I would have loved to hear what he could have brought a character as complex as Gendo, especially considering how much he loved Evangelion.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Perhaps it would have made Eva more of a mainstream success in the US when it first aired. Think about it--Robin Williams was huge in the 90s (Aladdin, Jumanji, even FernGully)--and having him voice a character in an anime would have given it a much-needed boost in the overseas market.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:27 am

I always thought, if Robin Williams was to at least get a cameo in an Evangelion movie (live action or anime) he should've play Keel. He would be about his age by then, and he sort of looks like him, but he could've just done the voice itself too. I'm sure Williams was capable of making and acting out a voice for someone who's already had a variety of colorful voices such as Chairman Keel.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 am

He would've made a great Fuyutsuki.

kuzronk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kuzronk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:54 pm

I do want to hear this. If he was chosen for the dub the series would be more controversial though.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:46 am

View Original Postkuzronk wrote:If he was chosen for the dub the series would be more controversial though.

How, exactly?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 pm

The show was controversial to begin with. Attaching a huge name like Robin Williams to the project is going to attract huge attention, and that will cause the controversy surrounding the show to increase.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”