Jurassic Park: Book vs. Movie

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NIkkolas
Adam

Jurassic Park: Book vs. Movie

•      
  •      

Postby NIkkolas » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 am

So I'm not sure whee to put this since it's about a novel and a film but....well, if it goes somewhere else, my bad.

Which did you like more and why?

For me, it has to be the original novel version by Michael Crichton.

The problem with the movie is it simplifies too many things and so the central theme is lost. For example, a lot of people ask "why didn't they just try to restart Jurassic Park? It was working great until it was sabotaged." And that's true....in the movie. In the book, Jurassic Park had already failed spectacularly by the time the team got to the island. All Nedry did was deliver the final nail in the coffin. Well, it wasn't even him really, it was the fact the team shut down the park's systems then brought them up on auxiliary power without realizing it.

Dinosaurs were breeding and escaping the island in droves. The former is very, very briefly touched on in the movie but it's a central element to the book version.

The point is that the book not only offers up superior plot in how it explains Jurassic Park's failures, it offers up superior action as well. Sure we might not be able to see the dinosaur in the book version but we still got Muldoon shooting off raptor legs and chasing after the T-Rex with a rocket launcher. I mean, COME ON. Isn't that more awesome than anything in the movie? There's also the whole T-Rex chasing Grant and the kids in the raft segment. I love that part so much. Or when the raptors are chewing their way into the lodge where the survivors are held up and just waiting their gory end.

The novel is just...it's the total package.

But that's my piece. What do you all think?

Return to “Film and Video”