Super Smash Bros

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:35 pm

So, did anyone else here get tthe special Club Nintendo Smash 4 demo for 3DS? I did, I'm enjoying it immensely (as limited as it is)
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS arrives on the scene!

This game is so good it makes me cry tears of joy. :shinji_boohoo:

Where to begin? I love love love the controls. Call me a heathen but I'm having a grander ol' time on this than I had even with a GameCube controller. Not only does the circle pad work better for me, but with the 3DS's face buttons all so close together it's easier for me to press the different buttons than it was for me on the GameCube controller. I don't have to move my thumb as far -- barely at all, really, because my thumb is able to rest on all four buttons at once. I didn't think A and B would work so well as Attack and Special in a typical diamond arrangement like this but between the way your thumb reaches them and their relative smallness it really makes sense, so I had to customize the existing control scheme only minimally (moving Grab to Y) to get satisfactory results. Makes me wonder what I'll do for the Wii U version when it comes out -- I might wind up eschewing the use of a GameCube controller in a Smash game for the first time!

Naturally, the first character I tried was Zero Suit Samus. She was one of my faves in Brawl, and for more than just the obvious reasons, but this is definitely my favorite version of her. She's lost the explosive tip to her side-special that was my favorite move to pull in Brawl, but I feel like it's made up for by the sum of other changes that are hard to summarize. Her down-special in Brawl didn't get much use from me except as a recovery but I find myself using this version's in actual battle. This version feels like she has a greater variety of attacks than the Brawl version; up-special and up-smash best signify this, being so distinct now as compared to looking so similar before.

Speaking of Zero Suit Samus, I can't go on about her without mentioning her design -- which I'd probably do even if it hadn't been introduced to me in the way that it had. My introduction to this game's version of her came via the unfortunate means of an article titled "Zero Suit Samus’s New Design is Sexist and Here’s Why" many moons ago, so that made for a sullied first impression, but over time I shrugged it off and now have no guilt about enjoying her design -- I can't deny, I find the rocket heels sexy, especially because she otherwise completely retains her demeanor and badassery from Brawl while also steering clear of any really overt inclusions from Other M (she doesn't even (overtly) have the mole she acquired in that game, nor the eye color, nor the voice). Rounder boobs and rocket heels and all, her portrayal in the game really doesn't come across as sexist to me at all -- she still kicks ass, looks great doing it, and has the same sense of attitude about her as she did in Brawl. And that's the most important part: She still feels, fundamentally, like Samus, comes across with the essence of that character, and if anything the rocket heels more expand that than detract from it by showing a new side of her that feels appropriate to her character; it's actually truer to my pre-Other M headcanon of her than what I saw in Other M itself. If Samus were to go out for a night on the town, she's the kind of gal who'd do so in high heels with built-in rocket propulsion.

The whole game, for that matter, looks great. The low poly counts are made up for by smart use of color and style (such as those thick outlines) to create the visual sense of a moving graphic novel. There were only a few times that I really noticed how low-poly the characters actually are compared to how they'd look on consoles, and even that didn't bother me that much.

Omega Form stages are a fantastic idea that I had never thought of, and shows the extent to which the developer pays attention to how fans actually play the game. I was never a big fan of just going to Final Destination all the time for purity's sake, but now that the omega forms are available I use them most of the time and I'm thankful for them.

I was disappointed months ago to learn that Zelda and Sheik were separated into their own characters, but that sadness went away when I actually played as them. I've been playing a lot of Melee recently and in that game I couldn't help but feel a really lackluster experience with the double-character, and I wondered whether each form had to be toned down to make up for the tactical advantage of having access to both. While I still hope for the ability to transform between them to be re-inserted in the future, if only as a customization option, I'm quite content with how they are now, because they play so damn well. Everything I liked about them in previous games feels amplified, and is it just me or does Sheik stretch way further than she used to when performing her upward smash? Oh my.

10/10 would buy again for another system -- and I'll be getting that opportunity this "holiday season", whenever the fuck that actually is. This'll tide me over quite nicely until then.

EDIT: I've played long enough now to notice that ZSS does have her mole, but the only time I see it is during one particular victory pose she does and it's literally one black pixel that appears and disappears as she moves minutely with her breathing. I've also noticed that her side-special seems to be actually still kick-ass, but I can't tell if it's exactly as kick-ass as it used to be because I haven't played Brawl in a long time. (*checks* I haven't played it since I started tracking my game-playing? That's several years!)

EDIT 2: I was just informed I've had my 100th battle. :hahaha: Same day as buying the thing.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:39 pm

I need to get this shit..... and I need to figure out how to get my friggin 3ds to play online.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:25 am

^Are you having problems connecting to WiFi, or something?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:20 pm

@Monk

All of the love that you showed on your post it's making me doubt if I should really wait to buy the Wii U version :sniffle:

BTW, have you already unlocked Pac-Man and Duck Hunt duo? If so, what is their level of awesomeness?

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote: EDIT 2: I was just informed I've had my 100th battle. :hahaha: Same day as buying the thing.

Geez!! I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game.
:shinchair:

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:26 pm

man everyone around me has the 3DS version of this game and i'm here boycotting it and waiting for the wii u version
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:14 am

That's evil!!! My love for Ninty would never allow me to do that... :facepalm:
But, I guess boycotting it's a nice choice to stop suffering :devil:

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:46 am

View Original PostChamucaRobota wrote:That's evil!!! My love for Ninty would never allow me to do that... :facepalm:
But, I guess boycotting it's a nice choice to stop suffering :devil:

naw, i just think nintendo doing shit like removing ice climbers from the wii u version and stuff in the name of "parity" is bullshit because the two versions of games can't play together anyway -_-

also i heard that smash 3ds is one of those games like animal crossing where the digital save is literally locked to the sd card you downloaded it on :irked:

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:01 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:naw, i just think nintendo doing shit like removing ice climbers from the wii u version and stuff in the name of "parity" is bullshit because the two versions of games can't play together anyway -_-

I understand your pain about the parity stuff on the Ice Climbers girl :huggles: And as far as I read you can play with the 3DS as a controller on Wii U that, to be honest, I can't see how that can be good because the circle pads are going to die anyway :shakehead:

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote: also i heard that smash 3ds is one of those games like animal crossing where the digital save is literally locked to the sd card you downloaded it on :irked:

That's not a problem to me I like stupidly doing awesome things again so :smokin:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:26 am

View Original PostChamucaRobota wrote:BTW, have you already unlocked Pac-Man and Duck Hunt duo? If so, what is their level of awesomeness?

I've unlocked all characters, but not felt them all out yet (if you know what I mean -- wait, I'm about to be talking about a dog). I played as each unlockable at least once, right after unlocking them, but early impressions are mixed -- I haven't quite figured out what all the moves do, exactly. A fire hydrant? A shoot-the-can? What are they for?! It's currently beyond me. In terms of hilarity, though, Duck Hunt is great for sheer weirdness. You're not playing as the Duck Hunt dog; you're not playing as the Duck Hunt dog and duck; you are playing as the entire Duck Hunt -- your smash attacks are the hunter shooting at the screen.

Biggest disappointment of the Duck Hunt character: The dog's classic taunt occurs only as part of the pre-fight animation -- you can't execute it manually, meaning no lovely dream-trolling where you send someone flying and then snicker as they disappear into the distance.

Geez!! I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game. I mustn't buy this game.
:shinchair:

I don't understand why people are resisting. These two versions are spaced out for a reason. I get my Smash on the go now, and the big-budget bad boy later in time for Christmas.

And as far as I read you can play with the 3DS as a controller on Wii U that, to be honest, I can't see how that can be good because the circle pads are going to die anyway

A lot of people bring up the circle pad, and I just don't get it. I've done (way) over 100 battles now without a single problem. Far from it, the circle pad has proven to be my finest Smash experience ever as far as I can tell. The fact that it remains flat even when you push it to its extremes makes a big difference to me, and due to the smaller size there's less distance I have to push to do a run or a smash. In previous entries I've hated having to mash the edge of the analog stick's thumbpad into its housing to execute a sprint or smash attack, but in this one there's just not that same sense that I have to punish my device. Apparently others are having the exact opposite experience, but that just makes me think previous Smash games have trained them to treat their controllers far more roughly than anyone should have to.

Aiko Heiwa wrote:naw, i just think nintendo doing shit like removing ice climbers from the wii u version and stuff in the name of "parity" is bullshit because the two versions of games can't play together anyway -_-

*researches* So, it's true. Googling for something entirely different (suggestions on the optimal control scheme to use for Smash 3DS), I noticed a headline claiming that the reason there are no transforming characters is because of the 3DS's limitations, and found out from there that that's why the Ice Climbers were cut as well.

Booo! BOOO! File this under weird shit Nintendo does that nobody understands and doesn't make sense and they'll probably undo it next time. (Thank goodness.)

I'm just glad to see that the lack of transforming characters is, to put it metaphorically, a bug and not a feature. Even though Sakurai seems to think that it could still be viewed as a good thing to have them separate because of other problems that come with having transforming characters (like ambiguous strategy, whatever that means), I hope to see transformations return in a future entry -- preferably with the option to customize Transform away to something else for players who will miss Bouncing Fish or Phantom Slash (but in the case of the latter, I can't fathom who would).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:57 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:In terms of hilarity, though, Duck Hunt is great for sheer weirdness. You're not playing as the Duck Hunt dog; you're not playing as the Duck Hunt dog and duck; you are playing as the entire Duck Hunt -- your smash attacks are the hunter shooting at the screen.

Biggest disappointment of the Duck Hunt character: The dog's classic taunt occurs only as part of the pre-fight animation -- you can't execute it manually, meaning no lovely dream-trolling where you send someone flying and then snicker as they disappear into the distance.

That sounds interesting :shifty:
And yes, very dissappointing indeed, I was hoping that the taunt were some kind of badass "get the hell out of the screen move" as Jigglypuff's Rest.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote: I don't understand why people are resisting. These two versions are spaced out for a reason. I get my Smash on the go now, and the big-budget bad boy later in time for Christmas.

My reason is that I find silly the fact of having two versions of the same game, I know it IS Smash, but still... I'm not sure, I didn't get this Nintendo strategy since day one to be honest.

About the circle pad, I've only met two people with that issue so far and their 3DS were old ones with heavily use in its life, such as mine, so no Smash for me right now :boohoo:

And speaking of the transformations I think it may be a lucky feature for new players because I remember playing Melee as a kid and being very confused on that :facepalm:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:17 am

View Original PostChamucaRobota wrote:My reason is that I find silly the fact of having two versions of the same game, I know it IS Smash, but still... I'm not sure, I didn't get this Nintendo strategy since day one to be honest.

Why do some people have both a laptop and desktop? Same reason: One is a less powerful but more portable experience, the other is a sit-down audiovisual feast. They're for two different use cases.

But like you and Aiko, I would have been a lot happier if they'd allowed the games to be more different rather than limiting themselves to the lowest common denominators between both systems.

However, I think I know why they did that: the customization feature. I presume that when the Wii U version comes out, you'll be able to do quite a bit more than just use your 3DS as a controller; the only thing that would make sense is if they let you use the customizations you created on your 3DS version of the game in the Wii U version as well. Other reasons for imposing roster parity between the two versions will likely become apparent once the game releases and we'll be able to see how the two interact.

And speaking of the transformations I think it may be a lucky feature for new players because I remember playing Melee as a kid and being very confused on that :facepalm:

No idea what "lucky feature" means.
System Administrator

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Why do some people have both a laptop and desktop? Same reason: One is a less powerful but more portable experience, the other is a sit-down audiovisual feast. They're for two different use cases.

You have a very valid point right there.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:But like you and Aiko, I would have been a lot happier if they'd allowed the games to be more different rather than limiting themselves to the lowest common denominators between both systems.

However, I think I know why they did that: the customization feature. I presume that when the Wii U version comes out, you'll be able to do quite a bit more than just use your 3DS as a controller; the only thing that would make sense is if they let you use the customizations you created on your 3DS version of the game in the Wii U version as well. Other reasons for imposing roster parity between the two versions will likely become apparent once the game releases and we'll be able to see how the two interact.

Also, agree with you.
Seems like we're gonna have to wait for the Wii U version to make an accurate opinion on both.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:No idea what "lucky feature" means.

Sorry about that mexican nonsense moment sir.
What I meant is that maybe the fact of not having the transformation move will become a good thing with people new to Smash games 'cause sometimes having two characters with different sets moves can be a little confusing.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:24 am

I did my first battling with people outside my comfort zone today -- both in-person and online, and I rocked both. :headbang: I played two matches in-person against this guy I've been trying to buddy up to at college. In the first one, it was with items on and at a stage I wasn't familiar with and this was all so very new to me so I choked and lost. But the second time, with items off and using an omega stage, I played so well (eventually winning) that he said things like "Oh wow, I'm playing against someone actually good" and "Did you play at like tournaments and stuff with the previous games?" "No." "You gotta be shitting me" and I could tell he was being completely sincere. It reminds me of that time in high school when, on the last day of some pre-senior year, some guys were playing GBA Mario Kart and roped me into it and I was the guy nobody knew who kicked all their asses :lol:.

My online experience was more extensive. I did "For Fun" (cuz I'm uneasy about taking the game too seriously), and I wasn't even the most frequent winner (said winner used Lucario every time), but I was the second most frequent, unless my perceptions are warped by my imposter syndrome and I actually tied the Lucario mainer. I used ZSS, Link, Sheik, Samus, Zelda, and one time Villager who I'm not so good with, and most of my victories were with ZSS and Link as would be expected because they're the ones I have the most practice with. But the one time I played as Zelda I totally killed it on the field, thanks in large (but not exclusive) part to smart use of Din's Fire.

Biggest surprise: the lack of lag. It was there sometimes but man, for the most part the matches were very surprisingly smooth, and at least when lag was present it stayed consistent so it was possible to adjust my timing to account for it. I'm not used to having online gaming experiences this smooth (one major reason I never developed much as an online gamer) so it really took me by surprise. This is nothing like my almost nightmarish button lag experiences with Brawl. Good game, Nintendo.
System Administrator

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 am

Got the game! But no matter what I do or where I go, my 3ds just does not want to connect to wi-fi. Any ideas?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:33 am

^That's very weird. Did you flick the little wireless tab on the right side of the 3DS to the 'on' position?

If you're getting an error-code you could try cross-referencing it with Nintendo Support.

And I'm nothing like you

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:33 am

That sounds awesome Monk! :clap: You should be a good player then, one day we must face each other on a fight :shifty: That, I have to admit I'm not a hardcore player but I can totally give a good fight even with a little Ness who is easily kicked out of the stage. :smokin:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:47 am

I just had my first ever "For Glory" match, and it was intense. 1-on-1, I was ZSS (my main), my opponent "Das Jake" was Sheik, and when I saw that the other player was Sheik I said "Oh no" because Sheik in this game is a Baus. And this guy was skilled, he was pulling crazy tricks that made my jaw drop. My usual tactics that had worked so well on the CPU and on the guys at school just didn't work the same way on this guy, but somehow I adapted and made the match a lot closer than I thought it would be. There were so many close calls between us, but I felt (perhaps wrongly) that I was outclassed. I remember wanting to give up, and had the penalty for rage-quitting not been lurking in the back of my mind I wonder if I would have. By the end of it, I was sweating...

...But I won. :headbang: It was ridiculously close. One of the kills I got even felt more like a mistake on his part (a botched recovery, guy did side-special instead of up-special) than something I can really take credit for, but at the same time, that's the price you pay for using risky strategies that put you in those kinds of situations. The first near-finish was this time I sent him off to the right with a well-timed flip jump kick (seriously, the netcode in this game is amazing), and I was so confident in my victory that I performed Samus's up-taunt out of habit, only to see him make it to the ledge and then kick me in the face for my pride before I could do anything because the taunt animation was still playing. -o-; Then at some point shortly thereafter he delivered a blow (unless it was that one) which sent me flying off to the left and I thought I was done for, but I recovered.

So there we were, two battered combatants with our percentages way over 100 (like 130s or 150s), standing at opposite ends of the Omega Golden Plains battlefield. We ran at each other for our final exchange. It was not simple, but it was quick -- and it ended with one final flip-jump kick over him as he came at me followed by both boots to the back of the head, sending him flying off to the left where I had nearly met my own end.

Game!

1 and 0.

I shall now retire undefeated from recorded online play.

(Yeah right.)

EDIT: It just hit me! That botched recovery? He was trying to do Sheik's tether recovery! But Sheik doesn't have that move anymore! The level of skill combined with a mistake like that... Did I just defeat a veteran high-level Smash player?! :bigeyes:
System Administrator

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:09 am

^You fought bravely is what matters. And maybe you are really naturally talented at the game, if you were able to hold your own long enough to secure victory.

I'm very tempted to buy this game for 3DS but with all the other releases going on for other consoles (Alien: Isolation, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, Bayonetta 2) I'd be stretching my budget for this month as it is.

I just hope I can endure the hype til I can get the Wii U version.

And I'm nothing like you

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 am

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”