Super Smash Bros

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:31 pm

^When the stars are right again and Nintendo has milked all it can milk from Zelda Wii U hype.

I'm finding that Villager is actually surprising effective in For Glory. Due to the simplified stage layout and lack of extra platforms, it's much easier to use the tree special, which provides cover from most attacks; chopping down the tree does awesome damage and knockback if you can get someone to stand right next to it (and most people will if they want to attack you or don't know any better). Knocking down the tree also gives you a wood block which can be handy in an item-free stage; in a pinch you can also steal and hurl back enemy projectiles with the neutral special. The Lloid Rocket is also effective because you can use it as both a projectile or a way of transporting yourself across the stage, and I've found you can actually fire it from behind the shelter of the tree, which makes it deadly in the right situation. It also looks pretty cool when you counter the opponent's swords, guns or fists with your umbrella and potted plants.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Re: Painful tactics. BP

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:06 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:He means when she's firing the Paralyser with her neutral special:

SPOILER: Show

And yet, no one complains about the impossible poses done by all the other characters...
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:30 pm

I would but i dont care much, that was just an excuse for me to complain about other m.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Well... Other M is the black sheep of Metroid games, I don't blame you. But I'm pretty sure Ninty is "secretly" working on a new Metroid, we'll just have to wait.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I'm finding that Villager is actually surprising effective in For Glory. Due to the simplified stage layout and lack of extra platforms, it's much easier to use the tree special, which provides cover from most attacks; chopping down the tree does awesome damage and knockback if you can get someone to stand right next to it (and most people will if they want to attack you or don't know any better). Knocking down the tree also gives you a wood block which can be handy in an item-free stage; in a pinch you can also steal and hurl back enemy projectiles with the neutral special. The Lloid Rocket is also effective because you can use it as both a projectile or a way of transporting yourself across the stage, and I've found you can actually fire it from behind the shelter of the tree, which makes it deadly in the right situation. It also looks pretty cool when you counter the opponent's swords, guns or fists with your umbrella and potted plants.

The Villager is one of my favorite characters to play with, it's a very complete fighter and inadvertently deadly, though I haven't played a single For Glory match yet, but for what you say it should be very effective. I love using the Pocket everytime I have an opportunity, the other day playing with my brother we had an intense battle of almost 30 minutes or something in Palutena's Temple, and we both had one life left so it was "the decisive moment", he was playing as Samus and I was the Villager; he fully charged the beam and when he shot it I used the Pocket and instantly release it again and that was enough to KO Samus once and for all, after that my brother was very surprised 'cause Samus is one of his toughest characters, also is one of the most difficult for me to beat and his face was priceless. Man, I love the Villager is very cool.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:10 pm

View Original PostChamucaRobota wrote:The Villager is one of my favorite characters to play with, it's a very complete fighter and inadvertently deadly, though I haven't played a single For Glory match yet,

You may not have played For Glory... But you can play me. :sly:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:40 pm

I'd love to, Monk :B But I'm pretty sure that you're gonna kick my butt right now :lol: I got the game on November 21st but I started to play it a week ago and my 'smashing level' may not be the best right now, just yesterday I got R.O.B. it was the last character to unlock so...give one week to polish my characters and we'll SMASH!!! :heehee:

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Pardon my ignorance- but when exactly did repeatedly crouching become the universal code between players for “I’m not fighting, let’s just screw around until the timer runs out”?

I encountered this bizarre practice a few nights ago during a “for fun” free-for-all; I noticed one player was just running to the edge of the stage and repeatedly crouching and taunting, not fighting. Next thing I know- the other two players are doing it. Then I’m doing it. Nobody was fighting.
We were just dicking around: jumping on each-other’s heads; wasting items; if a character had a counter ability- we were activating them without getting hurt; I was playing as Peach and there was a Kirby in the match- so I kept plucking vegetables and throwing them into his neutral special (Kirby gets 1% recovery each time he does this)… it was very, very silly, and hilarious.

This continued for another three or four games, but when one member of our group dropped out and a “serious” player came in- s/he didn’t want to (not) play along with us, so we attacked them. Exclusively. Surprisingly (and impressively, I must say) - the game actually detected this and ruled a no contest. First time I’ve ever been punished by a video game for what was (essentially) bullying.

This has happened two nights so far. Seems these kinds of players operate in the late hours of GMT…

Funny stuff.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:32 pm

I really hate when the game does that, forming alliances is fun! taking away fun is never a good thing.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:54 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I really hate when the game does that, forming alliances is fun!

:huh: ...Then play Team Smash.

taking away fun is never a good thing.

How fun was it for the person getting ganged up on?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Well im usually the one getting ganged up on so.......very fun, i just dodge out of the way and let them hit each other, its hilarious.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Tried playing through co-op Classic Mode yesterday with my sister. It was a surprisingly fun change from normal Classic Mode, and since group battles are the norm you do often get the chance to dodge strategically and let the CPUs knock each other out xD. I also like the fact that you get item rewards for battles, which adds replay incentive. We decided not to go up higher than 6.0 intensity yet, but battles were still fairly challenging. Co-Op also gives you the advantage of having someone to watch your back, and a chance to distribute damage and increase survivability due to the fact that there are more of you fighting the hostile CPUs. The final boss was also pretty cool visually and a tough fight; I'm kinda dreading having to take on Master Fortress now -o-;

And I'm nothing like you

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:40 pm

I play Classic Mode with my brother too almost every night and yeah it's really, really fun. Until I decide to kill myself with Roy but that's on All-Star Mode.

So far the higher intensity level that we've beaten is 7.2, we tried on 8 but Master Giant kicked our asses, that freaking thing... :redeyes:

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 am

come back when you beat master core on 9.0, fuck the fortress form, we get it nintendo subspace was a thing.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:20 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:come back when you beat master core on 9.0, fuck the fortress form, we get it nintendo subspace was a thing.

What does that mean? It looks like a reference to Subspace Emissary but there's no such thing in Smash 4 (much to my dismay). No story mode, no cutscenes in Smash 4, even on Wii U, right?
System Administrator

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:17 am

The fortress form of master core (the true final boss) is only fought on very high difficulty levels, it is basically a level of subspace emissary, the enemies inside the fortress even have the same health/dying mechanics.
The only goal is to destroy the cores in 5 (i think) locations and then it will turn into its "core" form again and you can kill it but the enemies and stomach acid do so much goddamn damage and if you die too many times then you are screwed.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:21 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What does that mean? It looks like a reference to Subspace Emissary but there's no such thing in Smash 4 (much to my dismay). No story mode, no cutscenes in Smash 4, even on Wii U, right?

Well some of the Palutena's Guidance easter eggs reference Subspace so we know Brawl happened insofar as these games can be said to have a canon. SSB4 has no story mode for some reason (apparently the devs didn't like people sharing it on Youtube?) but it seems like the overarching 'plot' in Classic Mode is the heroes once again fighting each other to take down Master Hand and Crazy Hand, whose true form in this game seems to be Master Core and its many permutations.

Also, little tidbit: if you don't kill the final form of Master Core fast enough (the ball-thing) it'll use something like Tabuu's Off-Waves and insta-kill you.

And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:02 pm

More thoughts on Super Smash Bros.

King Dedede is my jam, which is mildly surprising for me, as I never used him in Brawl. I still shift between him and Mario, but he's helped improve my ratio (Which is still craptastic) marginally. As for everyone else, I acquired a new found hatred of Peach, ZS Samus doesn't seem to bother me, I have never seen a Jigglypuff win a match, launching the shit out of Bowser is incredibly cathartic when they're spam happy, and Greninja is surprisingly difficult to get a read on. Shulk's counter is also incredibly annoying.

I've yet to see anyone play as Luigi, Olimar, Fox, and a few assorted others. Might have to rectify that if I ever decide to branch out. Speaking of branching out, I'm thinking of playing as Yoshi for a bit, but I'm not entirely sure on how to use him. Any tips?
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Gonna get smash 3ds soon, probably should have gotten it before smash wii-u but whatever, as i am a nerd i made a korra/asami/kuvira mii and im gonna throw them into a FFA match with my personal mii for the lols when i get it XD

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:58 pm

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:Shulk's counter is also incredibly annoying.

That's the one of the many reasons why I love Shulk; he's the only character with a counter that is (almost) a guaranteed hit and looks damn cool. When avoiding it, try and anticipate when he'll use it to avoid hitting him during the counter; Shulk's counter is also unique in that the window of time in which the counter can be activated decreases every time he uses the move so if you can survive long enough the move loses a bit of utility (although this can also make it more unpredictable). The counter also will be wasted if the opponent uses a move that rapidly shifts them out of the way before the time-freeze bubble forms (such as Fox's Fox Illusion) or hits the counter with a projectile attack.

I've never actually played as or fought Yoshi before, now that I think about it.

And I'm nothing like you

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:35 pm

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:1. I acquired a new found hatred of Peach
2. launching the shit out of Bowser is incredibly cathartic when they're spam happy
3. I'm thinking of playing as Yoshi for a bit, but I'm not entirely sure on how to use him. Any tips?

1. It’s the side taunt, isn’t it? ~la-la-la-la lah la~

2. Blimey, when it comes to spammers- Charizard players are the absolute worst.
Flare Blitz’s launching power makes even the most unskilled players a major threat, but it isn’t too hard to anticipate – so using a character with a counter ability makes easy work of Charizard. I favour Lucina myself, I just can’t hit with the tip of the blade with Marth.

3. You want to check out the spectate online feature. From what I’ve seen- Yoshi is all about the aerial game, I’ve had players juggle me like a goddamn bean-bag with Yoshi. That meteor attack is brutal too.

Has anybody tried playing the Wii U version using a 3DS as a controller? Responsive enough?
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”