Rei in love?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Rei in love?

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:04 pm

I don't know if this have been asked before but do you believe that Rei II was in love with Gendo or she just felt affection and gratefulness for saving her(the accident with Eva00).What's your opinion on that?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:07 pm

I think Rei II simply looked upon Gendou as a father figure. For her, the love between a daughter and a father was more than she had ever known so it appeared much more pronounced.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:27 pm

A while ago, i found a really good opinion on this subject...
The first Synch test between Rei and the Eva00, failed because an emotional issue of Rei. This emotional issue must be because she has no reason to live at that point, only as an object for Gendo. But when Gendo rescued her, she thought that gendo really care about her, so gendo became her reason to live. Also Shinji became very important to her later in the series. Rei III didn't had this experience with gendou, maybe she could remember it, but she hadn't that emotional atachment, so she was colder, and broke free from gendo's manipulations.
*insert cool signature here*

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:02 pm

i think she's capable of loving...just not gendo...he gives her purpose as she calls her "ties"

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:07 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:i think she's capable of loving...just not gendo...he gives her purpose as she calls her "ties"

Agreed , she looks at Gendo as a father figure , if she was in love with any one it was Shinji ( Look at the evidence).
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:27 pm

You have to remember as well that Rei was cloned form Yui, this might make her soul have emotional attachments to Gendou.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:10 pm

And Shinji! :D
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:54 pm

I'm inclined to agree with that, there are plenty of studies showing that genetics do play a role in the way an individual behaves.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:07 pm

I think Rei did have feelings for Shinji. Correct me if im wrong but arn't Shinji and Gendo the only people to show any kindness to Rei the entire show?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:01 pm

Yes, they are the only ones to show profound kindness to Rei.

But I don't think Rei has a really well defined concept of love. I would argue that, like Kaworu, her understanding of that feeling is a more generalized kind of love. Certainly not romantic, but perhaps something of a love between a father and daughter, as is the case of Rei II, and a mother and a child, as is the case with Rei and Shinji.

But I've never believed Rei to have any sort of romantic/sexual form of love, but then her words "is this my soul's desire to be one with Ikari?" have to make me question this. As being one with someone has very profound sexual connotations. She says "Dame" which is something along the lines of "Can't" or "No". In the English, she says "You will not". Whether she was replying to her own statement, or telling the Angel it will not harm Shinji is what I would like to know.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:01 am

DatDude wrote:I think Rei did have feelings for Shinji. Correct me if im wrong but arn't Shinji and Gendo the only people to show any kindness to Rei the entire show?

Who else is there to show kindness to her? Ritsko hates her imo, since she knows what Rei is, and Asuka obviously just sees her as another competator that she needs to do better than. She's too self-secluded for any classmates to even try to attempt to figure her out, forget show kindness to. That only leaves Misato, who up until she finds out what Rei is may have tried to show some kindness to, but I think she was nothing short of horrified of her after Ritsuko reveled all and then destroyed the empty Reis.
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:41 am

why does she blush when Shinji tells her that she looks motherly? i think its showing that she has some memories of her past life (as yui) to provoke such a response...perhaps that explains her attachement to gendo and Shinji

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:45 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:But I've never believed Rei to have any sort of romantic/sexual form of love, but then her words "is this my soul's desire to be one with Ikari?" have to make me question this. As being one with someone has very profound sexual connotations. She says "Dame" which is something along the lines of "Can't" or "No". In the English, she says "You will not". Whether she was replying to her own statement, or telling the Angel it will not harm Shinji is what I would like to know.
Forgive me for quoting the commentary, but I agree with Amanda on this scene, whos view is that it was Rei's angel side which was arguing with her human side.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:32 am

i agree...she seems to be telling the angel that she wont allow it to take Shinji

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”