Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Safety Not Guaranteed

A little heavy on the quirk, too slow at times but a mildly enjoyable if predictable romcom.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:11 pm

In today's cyborg double feature:

RoboCop (2014)
More like The Asylum's Robert Cop. It honestly felt like an Asylum film, with incoherent gimmick scenes (throwbacks to the original) surrounded by a sea of boredom. Also, apparently Detroit is the cleanest, sunniest city in the whole of America, with police stations that look like Apple Stores.

Rottweiler
What I expected: a sleazy horror B-movie
What I got: a surprisingly artsy Spanish horror B-movie (and a far superior film to Robert Cop)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm

Watched Pulp Fiction.

'Twas good. Very good. To be expected of Tarantino.

VERDICT: This is a motherfuckin' good film!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Went over to my Aunt and Uncle's house for the weekend to enjoy their gargantuan home theater. Saw the following while I was there:

Thief - Michael Mann's first movie. Had some nice scenes and a couple quotable lines, but wasn't really anything special.

Rio Bravo - My personal favorite John Wayne film with Dean Martin and Walter Brennan also giving career-high performances. This and The Big Sleep are my favorite Howard Hawks films.

Zulu - Michael Caine is great in this, but it's a pretty simple movie. Zulus attack British, British kill Zulus, repeat. The location shooting was a nice plus though.

Godzilla vs. Biollante - Easily one of the five best Godzilla films. Had to watch it dubbed because my Uncle doesn't do subtitles, but I've seen it before so it was alright.

The Departed - Leonardo DiCaprio is great in this and it's Jack Nicholson's last great role as well. I haven't seen the duo of Hong Kong films it's based on, but I'll try to get around to it sooner rather than later while they're both still fresh in my mind.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 pm

The Departed is a shot for shot remake of those Hong Kong movies. . .

But hey, if it turns people on to the original. . . I guess I can't complain too much.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:35 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The Departed is a shot for shot remake of those Hong Kong movies.

Is it really that spot on?
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The Departed is a shot for shot remake of those Hong Kong movies. . .

But hey, if it turns people on to the original. . . I guess I can't complain too much.

I've heard that too in addition to many people claiming Infernal Affairs is simply better all-around. It may not have the directorial flourish The Departed has on account of Martin Scorsese, but acting, plot and character development are all supposed to be superior.

And it's not like The Departed is the first shot-for-shot remake of a movie. A Fistful of Dollars is literally Yojimbo in the old west. It was so bad that Kurosawa sued Leone is court and won a big settlement.
Movin' Right Along

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm

Having watched both movies - any statements regarding The Departed being a shot for shot remake of the rather weak Infernal Affairs is fucking bullshit.

Infernal Affairs has two things going for it. Tony Leung & the fat little short mobster who is basically a Chinese Joe Pesci. Otherwise Infernal Affairs is pretty bland as far as a movie goes.

The only thing The Departed takes from Infernal Affairs are the following:
1. The core idea of two moles undercover.
2. Cell phones are used throughout
3. A nice older cop mentoring the DiCaprio/Leung protagonist who is thrown off a roof.
4. Someone gets killed in an elevator.

That's pretty much it. Infernal Affairs includes monks, three different female protagonists, no relationship is formed between the Joe Pesci mobster & the two lead moles, & hilariously awful & misplaced B&W sad montages whenever someone dies. Like this (jump to 1:20 min in)

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfWTA3yTGDE[/url]

Infernal Affairs is okay as a surface level cop flick. Tony Leung is 100% good & you barely get to know who Andy Lau is. The Departed works more as an all around feature. It's got more interesting characters (Mark Wahlberg's asshole cop is 100% original to The Departed), a better handling on tone & theme & The Departed actually has an ending unlike IA which just leads into parts 2 & 3.

I will never begrudge someone for liking one thing over another. Everyone has their own tastes & that's great. BUT statements like "The Departed is a shot for shot remake of Infernal Affairs" is just empty bullshit. They're two entirely different movies with their own unique styles, pacing & tone that just happen to share the spine of a similar story.

I mean of all the Hollywood remakes of Asian cinema The Departed is the only one that isn't an offender of just copying the tone, look, themes & aesthetic of the original.

So yeah. It's not a shot for shot remake.

(It's also a far superior film.)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:45 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Godzilla vs. Biollante - Easily one of the five best Godzilla films. Had to watch it dubbed because my Uncle doesn't do subtitles, but I've seen it before so it was alright.

Completely agree. It's my #1
Imo it has one of the strongest dubs also.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Imo it has one of the strongest dubs also.

Maybe I'm just a purest, but I couldn't stand the dub. It's not as wretched as the 90s dubs, but it was still pretty bad IMO. I'll take subtitles over dubbing for live-action media any day of the week.

@Gendo's Papa: I get the feeling that you feel rather strongly on this topic. What you say about The Departed being better than Infernal Affairs may well be true, but the similarities are strong enough that I'd say there are more than just the four things they share in common. A lot of the other stuff you mentioned is likely due to Infernal Affairs having a longer running time and thus more story. In any case, one day I'll see for myself.
Movin' Right Along

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:47 am

Finally watched Chungking Express

eh

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Jus watched End of Watch and honestly its one of the best movies ive ever seen. Jake Gylenhall and Michael Pena are both great. The acting is great all around. The story was very realistic and believable. The only thing i take away from it there is a unnecessary amount of swearing in this film. At times its actually kinda brutal. Good balance between comedy, cop drama, and action scenes.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 am

Saw this movie Stay a bit ago. Interesting film. A bit heavy-handed with the editing and the ending was a bit of a cop out, but it kept me entertained with some really nice aesthetics.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:31 am

Conan the Barbarian

Cartoonish, dated, and jam-packed with enough ham to last fifty Christmas dinners

i love it

apparently there's a proper Conan sequel in the works, retroactively voiding Conan the Destroyer(as it should be), and should be hitting full throttle after Terminator 5

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Double Indemnity

Stylish, well acted, intelligently scripted and full of quotable dialogue, this is a film you'll want to see if you're a fan of noir of great cinema in general.
Movin' Right Along

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:13 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Conan the Barbarian

Cartoonish, dated, and jam-packed with enough ham to last fifty Christmas dinners

i love it

apparently there's a proper Conan sequel in the works, retroactively voiding Conan the Destroyer(as it should be), and should be hitting full throttle after Terminator 5

But what is the riddle of steel?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:But what is the riddle of steel?

Which is stronger: steel or flesh? The flesh commands the steel, the steel cuts the flesh...

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Terminator 5

Dear God, it's actually happening? I seem to be running into a lot of 'awesome or terrible' reboots recently.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Khaleesi is Sarah Connor and there's some kind of in-universe time travel reboot business and Arnold as a "used" T-800 that's wearing down.

It'll be amazing or terrible.
the prophecy is true

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:21 pm

^Yeah, after looking it up my money's falling on the terrible side unless Arnie manages to seriously shape up within a year and/or they release a trailer which shows some glimmer of what made the original film great.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Film and Video”