Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Life of Pi

It's a marvelous film visually and I like some of the stuff it has to say about the art of storytelling in general. Although at times it felt a little too caught up in it's visual splendor, it never fully diverged from making sure that you still care about the narrative and is the second best Ang Lee film I've seen behind Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Selma

Nothing I haven't seen before-- but it was a well-made film, and I enjoyed watching it.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:47 pm

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

While it does deviate significantly from Tolkien's source Material. I think this is my favorite of the Middle Earth movies next to Fellowship Of The Ring.

The biggest question people have going in to this movie is. "Is PJ going to stick the landing, and give justice to Tolkiens vision?"

Short answer? No. But that's not necessarily a drawback to the quality of the film.

Personally, I chalk up all discrepancies and continuity errors in the Hobbit movies and their lack of faithfulness to the book. To the fact that its not the story shown as it actually happened, but rather the story as Bilbo is remembering it. We already got three middle earth movies that did Tolkien's vision justice, the Hobbit movies are fun movies that happen to be connected to a much better book. If you don't like the Hobbit trilogy, we'll always have the first LOTR trilogy and the Books.

The movie is fun, it does a good job of wrapping up the plotline's in the last two films and tying it into Lord Of The Rings, every character is given their fair share of screentime, and there are even moments of excellent physical slapstick comedy reminiscent of PJ's old indy movies. Its incredible to see PJ, the guy who showed such restraint in the LOTR trilogy, just cut loose with an unlimited budget and special effects toolbox. I don't know how he did it, but he managed to make an hour long fight scene dynamic, engaging, emotional, and never once boring.

. . . and I'll admit that last scene between Thorin and Bilbo really is Heartwrenching. But not as heartwrenching as Fili and Kilis death.

All in all . . I give it a solid 8/10.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:49 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Selma

Nothing I haven't seen before

I guess this is my main reason why I'm not really interested in seeing it. Nothing really tops Mississippi Burning in my eyes for 1960s-era civil rights films.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Seeing as how both films celebrated their 60th anniversary this year, I did a double feature of both the original Japanese version of Godzilla and Seven Samurai.

I can't really say anything about these films that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say that I enjoyed myself quite a bit the past few hours.
Movin' Right Along

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Watched these on flights.

Hercules - This was okay. It takes a realistic approach to the legend of Hercules, but there are parts of it that are unrealistic enough to just seem counterproductive to such an approach. It also didn't have any battle sequences that were particularly good, what they do here has been done better elsewhere. Dwayne Johnson also fits my image of Hercules better than Kellan Lutz.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Also just okay. I guess I like this about as much as the first one. But it's a Disney movie so the idea of vikings and dragons isn't really done in the way I would want it to be.

Edge of Tomorrow - I liked this one the most. The Groundhog Day/video game loop works well with a wish fulfillment movie. "If only I had enough time. If only I could go back and do it right. If only I could start over. I wish that I could turn back time." This was about becoming the kind of person you want to be and not having to worry about the repercussions of the mistakes that are made in order to improve yourself. You also don't have to worry about the great amount of time that would be required to change yourself so drastically. Not even a day will have passed, but years worth of experience will have been obtained. I think I would have preferred the source material's bittersweet ending, though I'm not upset with this one. And I don't care about the stuff going on around Tom Cruise in real life, he's better than most action movie stars.

Also, Image

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:21 am

Dragonslayer, 1980-something.

God damn. This is one of those PG movies that made PG-13 a thing. For a movie with the name Disney plastered all over it this movie is dark as fuck. As the swan song of Phil Tippet's stop motion (actually "Go-Motion" effects before Jurassic Park it's amazingly well done. The special effects are surprisingly lively and believable and it is, at times, difficult to tell when the dragon is a massive animatronic prop or a stop motion puppet.

It's surprisingly brutal and gory, and again for a movie that say Disney everywhere, it's got a pretty dark and sarcastic view of religion and government, and a nasty edge, particularly with what happens to the princess.

Ultimately it's a mostly forgettable sword and sorcery type movie in the vein of Legend or Ladyhawke with this kind of sensibility that's hard to describe and a vaguely medieval England by way of dungeons and dragons setting. I can't see movies taking the kind of risk today they did back then with regards to religion.

Good to watch after hammering down pot pies and a bottle of cheap strawberry wine.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:43 am

@Starshaper

Buy some of the original manga, it makes the movie look tame by comparison.

Edit: nevermind you already have.

Edge of Tomorrow, good movie on its own merits. Lousy as an adaptation.

@Chuckman

I must see this movie.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:42 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:a vaguely medieval England by way of dungeons and dragons setting.
That was the one with the mountains of Norfolk, IIRC.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:04 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Dragonslayer, 1980-something.

I actually saw that in the theatre when it first came out. My mom took me to go see it, and we ended up in the wrong theatre and watched "Escape from New York" instead, wondering the entire time when we would see dragons, then afterwards went to the correct theatre and watched Dragonslayer.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:19 pm

^

Hah! Sounds like a good mistake, Ornette.

Watched Skyfall on Christmas Eve (undoubtedly like a lot of other britbonges).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:45 pm

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Because what else are you supposed to watch on Christmas eve? Sure, there's It's a Wonderful Life, but...

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:00 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
Because what else are you supposed to watch on Christmas eve? Sure, there's It's a Wonderful Life, but...

-A Christmas Story
-Holiday Inn
-White Christmas
-Elf
-Scrooged
-Die Hard
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:52 pm

The only correct answer is Black Christmas.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Batman Tas - Episode....
SPOILER: Show

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:01 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Batman Tas - Episode....

Sing it with me now!

Jingle bells! Batman smells! Robin laid an Egg! The Batmobile lost a wheel and the Joker got Awaaaaaaaaaay!

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:25 pm

And now you made me want to go watch Batman:TAS again.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:09 pm

I just finished "How to Train Your Dragon 2" since apparently I'm on a dragon themed streak here.

Why does every kids movie need to kill parents? That was really cheerful when I'm already drunk and in a down mood.

Pretty average all around. I wasn't enthused with it. A solid "meh".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Clerks II

EXTREMELY funny sequel! Pulls all the right punches in being offensive and outrageous. My favorite parts have got to be the Lord of the Rings argument, the porch monkey outrage, and Kinky Kelly and the Sexy Stud.

How to Train Your Dragon 2

For some reason it took me days to get through ALL of it... Perhaps it's my way of not feeling as much awe and wonder as I did with the first movie although the theme song for this one is catchy. Felt a bit let down that Cate Blanchett DIDN'T sing her part while Gerard Butler and Craig Ferguson did really well. Also, the Ruffnut love rectangle didn't receive a resolution for which I can only assume they're saving for the third movie or else it was a one time thing which I would feel ripped off from if it were.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - It's not high art or anything, but it's one of the funnest movies I've seen in a while and is the best Paul Newman performance I've ever seen. It's a Western the same way Some Like It Hot was a gangster film, the genre trappings are not the main attraction, rather the chemistry between the leads and the witty dialogue is what elevates it into a great movie.

Godzilla 2000 - I've seen the American and the Japanese versions now, and neither are all that special. The English version is better because it moves along at a better pace, has appropriate music and several lines of quotable dialogue, although even with those advantages it's the most aggressively mediocre of the Godzilla films.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God - It's an interesting movie, and I'm glad I've seen it, but I didn't think it deserves all the praise it gets. The story behind the making of the film is more interesting than the film itself and I think it's one of those cases where a troubled production makes a film seem more impressive than it actually is. And it is impressive how Herzog went into the jungle and made this film, but Aguirre is basically Lord of the Flies with conquistadors. It's still a good movie, it may even be a great movie, but it's not a masterpiece like some say. I've also seen Lessons of Darkness and Little Dieter Needs to Fly, two documentaries by Werner Herzog, and I have to say I enjoyed those a lot better than Aguirre. Documentaries just seem like a more natural fit for Herzog's minimalist style.
Movin' Right Along

Return to “Film and Video”