Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 am

View Original PostRay wrote:It's a weird twist of fate, the guy who directed the Hangover movies making a Joker movie that makes a billion dollars.

Or the guy who wrote some of the Scary Movie spoof films writing HBO's Chernobyl which was their most acclaimed series since True Detective S1.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:32 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Or the guy who wrote some of the Scary Movie spoof films writing HBO's Chernobyl which was their most acclaimed series since True Detective S1.

Which ones, the Wayans or the Zucker eras?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:18 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:
View Original Postmovieartman#910764 wrote:Or the guy who wrote some of the Scary Movie spoof films writing HBO's Chernobyl which was their most acclaimed series since True Detective S1.

Which ones, the Wayans or the Zucker eras?

Zucker. 3 & 4.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:28 am

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

From start to finish, i could tell this video game adaptation was a real labor of love dedicated to the fans and not another cash grab.

Ben Schwartz is honestly the best Sonic actor around and his chemistry with OG Cyclops is fun to watch. Jim Carrey as Robotnik steals every scene he's in. As for Tails and his cameo at the end, i sincerely hope Colleen O'Shaughnessy is invited back for the sequel since it's my first time truly hearing her as the character and she proves it's best to leave the kid roles to the grown ups as painful memories of his child actor voice in Adventure invade my memory.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:47 pm

Finally got around to seeing Ozu's Tokyo Story for the first time. It was, to use the language of the youth, "lit AF".

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:08 am

Angel Has Fallen (2019)

Pros!
- On par with London Has Fallen, good but not as good as Olympus.
- Adds depth/pathos to Banning touching on his history with his father + him dealing with his age & the mental & physical toll from his combat career.
- Has the most emotion & sentimentality of the trilogy by far.
- Nick Nolte is fun & emotionally effective as Banning's father.
- Danny Huston when he still appears to be a good guy is really likable & has good chemistry with Butler (not spoiling him being a villain, it's basically in the trailer)
- Piper Perabo is good & is given a tiny bit more to do than Radha Mitchell who was recast from the previous films.
- Seemingly nicely wraps up the trilogy & Banning's story (inexplicably they apparently plan to do 3 more films plus spin off tv shows :cringe: )

Neutral Observations!
- Never noticed the score at all.
- Has a notable anti war message compared to the last 2 films & it seems like a drastic shift for Trumbull after seeing him being very drone happy at the end of London.
- Danny Huston once in villain mode is just doing his standard thing.

Cons!
- Lance Reddick & Jada Pinkett Smith are tangibly underused.
- Lacks the vicious brutality/intensity of it's predecessors.
- Seems notably cheaply made compared to them as well.
- Poor CGI all over the film.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Wrong Turn reboot 2021

Since it was the screenwriter of the 2003 original behind the same credit here, i wondered if it would be just a rinse and repeat of the same cannibal plot with different names.

But i was glad to be proven wrong. A brand new cult village world is unlocked by unsuspecting teens who are three dimensional relatable characters. Even the evildoers have their unique quirks. I recommend it to all fans of survivalist horror.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 am

Volcano (1997)

Damn good & underrated, more outlandish and dumb than Dante's Peak but not so much that it becomes grating to watch as people say about Armageddon (which I have not seen) which had the same relationship with Deep Impact.
Great cast, TLJ does a great professional job as always. Anne Heche is solid, fun & very cute.
Only notable problem is crow barring in TLJ's daughter into the final demolition sequence and even if they had to do so it would have been better if it had been Heche who saved her as she promised.
Effects are largely surprisingly decent to good for 1997, the larger shots of lava geysers shooting into the sky are weak but the shots of the lava just flowing through the streets are fairly good.
The major standout "person sacrificing themselves" sequence isn't as mean spirited & painfully drawn out as the comparable scene from Dante's Peak.

My favorite disaster movies & series!
- HBO's Chernobyl (strongly great to amazing)
large gap
- Deep Impact (very good)
- Dante's Peak (very good)
- Volcano (very good)
- The Day After Tomorrow (good to very good)
small gap
- The Towering Inferno (good)
- The Core (decent to good)

I need to re-watch The Poseidon Adventure, was not a fan during my original viewing.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:41 am

Love and Monsters (2020

Okay I'll be first to say I thought this was gonna be lazy tropey bullshit because there are a lot of movies like this with unbelievable heroes who are somehow fine even though the world has gone to shit and get the woman as reward even though there not nice people. This is not that this looks at it through a realistic modern lens that feels truly earned.

SPOILER: Show
What I loved about this is right off the bat is it does set up the typical scenario you see in things like the walking dead battered survivors getting by hard asses with guns with battle scars and the first death is brutal, but then it has the lead Joel freezes realistically when faced with a massive centipede that's just eaten someone.

This is one of the things that makes this movie work so well the guys reactions are so realistic as this event has made fish, amphibians and insects huge human and animal eaters and some of the stuff you see is chilling and horror movie in fashion.

The movie is about Joel's trip and though he's going to see the woman he was with seven years ago Aimee it becomes more about self discovery personal growth and him learning about the world around him. The pay-off is it becomes bigger as it becomes about saving the other communities and using what he learnt to save others.

Yes he does meet the Aimee again and things don't go as planned which I won't spoil as the third act is the best part of the movie and has the biggest pay off which feels really earned. The message is not be a hero by firing a gun be a hero by teaching others what you know, so they can live much more full lives and take back what's been lost.

Also kudos to them for making fighting in this none sexualized and really gritty as they have Aimee beat this shit out of another female rival and a few of the other bad guys and its really well done. I also loved that she is the leader of her community with zero issue its implied she is a good solid leader and her people love her, and she really takes care of them.

This movie also gets a second kudo's for not using a gay kiss as a gay panic moment as Joal gets poisoned and is high as a kite and thinks he kissed Aimee but its revealed it wasn't her and was a shaggy bearded elderly man yet at no point does the movie use this to mock him or demean him or the older man it's just a so, so moment and everyone like its cool we knew you were high and unwell no big deal.

The only two nip picks I have are I didn't like the young kid berating Joel about screaming like a girl when he falls in to a huge blood sucking maggot pit because the movie has made clear this world is dangerous as hell to live in, and you do find out later the maggot queen is one of the most dangerous insects of the bunch, so the comment felt out of place backwards and didn't fit the narrative at all on any level.

The only other thing is a child has been born they did show this but like so many world ending scenarios they failed to get that without modern medicine women can die in childbirth though they could fix this in a sequel (If they do one) by saying one of the groups has an ex mid-wife or doctor.

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:41 am

Took a chance last night for wont of a group consensus and watched "Supervized" (Tom Behringer, Louis Gossett JR, Beau Bridges..etc)
Its basically 80 year old super heroes retired in a nursing home. Was a bit cliched but it did have quite a few funny bits. Had a couple of valid preachy moments. but I enjoyed it for what it was.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Inferno

Somewhat mixing up the screen time characters are used since Sanosuke lasts over an hour recovering from an Aoshi beatdown before showing up for the Kyoto battle, the middle part of the previously known trilogy gives legitimate reasons to hate Shishio and his cohorts; especially that full of himself Sojiro whom I was shocked to see he was acted by Ryunosuke Kamiki who I know more from his seiyuu work; and it takes all the fortitude Kenshin can muster to convince villagers not to become would be assassins through the no kill mantra of his.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon May 10, 2021 10:15 am

did a re-watch of "KnightRiders" which i hadn't seen in about 30 years....forgotten how excellent it was, Ed Harris with his own hair!!!

a very kool play on the Arthurian legend/lifestyle, with motorcycle jousting etc.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed May 12, 2021 1:17 pm

I just saw the movie Nobody starring Bob Odenkirk, and man am I glad I went to the theater for this one. If you're in the mood for a hypermasculine power fantasy that unapologetically indulges in absurd levels of violence, you really can't go wrong with this one. I don't mean any of that negatively, by the way. It's brilliantly directed and thoroughly entertaining the whole way through. Just absolute lizard brain stuff. I've seen this film described as a 'face-melter' and I can not think of a more accurate term.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 16, 2021 10:09 pm

ARMY OF THE DEAD is Zack Snyder's best film. Saw it in a theater this weekend and loved every ridiculous, bloody and fun second of it. Not sure how this will play on a TV screen when it premires on Netflix next week but in a theater it was amazing!

Just don't let the Snyder Bros know you feel his best work is the stuff he does outside the DC universe.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon May 17, 2021 11:39 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Just don't let the Snyder Bros know you feel his best work is the stuff he does outside the DC universe.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on his DC films?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 17, 2021 3:50 pm

baldur wrote:Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on his DC films?

I think they're fine. I've personally been disinterested in the superhero genre for the last few years in total so it's not a "I'm Team Marvel" or whatever. Occasionally a superhero film - like Into the Spider-Verse, Shazam or Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy - will blow my mind and I'll love them but in general I'd love to see the superhero genre take a rest. It's just so omnipresent. I'm glad people love the stuff but I'd also love to talk about something else. Lol.

Snyder's three DC films, while with some issues, are certainly the vision of a filmmaker and I find that great & interesting to watch and engage with than the fun but very quality controlled production model line that is the Marvel stuff. His three DC films aren't trash like some people say nor are they masterpieces like others do but they're damn interesting and I enjoy watching them. But personally I think DAWN OF THE DEAD & ARMY OF THE DEAD are his two best films by a large margin and I think he's just a more exciting and pure filmmaker when he makes down and dirty genre flicks. But that's me.

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Mon May 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Pretty much agree with everything you said. Verrrrry tired of the superhero genre.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 am

Watched a 2020 movie titled "Breach" with Bruce Willis ....and does he owe money to his bookie or something?? wow....it was pretty awful...and not in
a MST3K way where you can at least have a laugh. Space Janitors unite YO!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:Watched a 2020 movie titled "Breach" with Bruce Willis ....and does he owe money to his bookie or something?? wow....it was pretty awful...and not in
a MST3K way where you can at least have a laugh. Space Janitors unite YO!

I was gonna watch this one though over here it's called Anti Life, and then I read the reviews and thought better not, I would love to know what really going on with Bruce's career and his mind state as I heard the last great acting gig he did was the expendables franchise, but Stallone threw both him and Kevin Sorbo (Hercules of the 90's) of the project as they were both complete assholes for different reasons since then Bruce has been terrible to interview and is just going from bad movie to bad movie with no end in sight.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue May 25, 2021 10:59 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I was gonna watch this one though over here it's called Anti Life, and then I read the reviews and thought better not, I would love to know what really going on with Bruce's career and his mind state as I heard the last great acting gig he did was the expendables franchise, but Stallone threw both him and Kevin Sorbo (Hercules of the 90's) of the project as they were both complete assholes for different reasons since then Bruce has been terrible to interview and is just going from bad movie to bad movie with no end in sight.

I'm starting to think he's like my dad and NEEDS to work (my dad is 80 and swears he will retire this year) I will say if you are a Red Dwarf fan
the sets (living quarters and corridors) look like they were lifted off the original series sound stage...we were "laughing like drains" at this aspect... but
it was in reality just putrid to sit through.

Return to “Film and Video”