Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 am

View Original PostRay wrote:
I recall The Land Before Time pulling no punches, and he was forced to tone that down by the studio not to mention that film deals with racial prejudice right on the nose, it's not even subtle.

It's easy to forget with how Universal milked the franchise to death and beyond with all the horrible direct to video sequels, that the original land before time was a genuinely great movie.

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:IDK if it's unfortunate to say that when I was a kid, the first Land Before Time film I saw was number three The Time of the Great Giving. It's still my favorite of all the sequels I have seen right next to Land of the Mists. As for going from the kid friendly sequels to the original where everything is no holds barred, bit jarring to say the least. Any of you hear the theory going around that when they reach the Great Valley, it really meant that they all went to Heaven?

I haven't seen past 7 and honestly I have no doubt that the recent ones with the micro Dinosours are crap but I don't think any before 8 are full on horrible.

Rating them from what I remember (probably been 10-12 years since I re-watched any of them aside from the original)

1 = Great
2 = Good
3 = Weak to Ok / Meh
4 = Very Good
5 = Good
6 = Decent
7 = Decent to Good

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:16 am

I'm just going to drop in the Land before Time discussion and leave my couple of cents

Even has a 5 year old kid or so I had the distinct notion that the first movie was the best, but, like any good consumerist boy, I eventually got my hands on all the sequels. Every single on except the most recent I believe, spread trough VHS and DVD.

I haven't rewatched any of them recently, but there was a couple that I think would actually hold up decently, although if anyone decides they're going to watch them it's probably best to ignore anything that comes after number X, as even when I was young I disliked those ones. Or maybe I was just getting older.
Looking back it's amazing that they had the characters sing songs, like some kind of cheap Disney copy, but I do admit there were a couple that I remember being decent.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Sion Sono's newest, Prisoners of the Ghostland, is pure Sono madness.... but in English.

I won't say more except that as good as Nicolas Cage is for Sono's weird world, Sofia Boutella & especially Bill Moseley might be even more perfect fits for his strange sensisbilities. The other thing I'll see is for a Sono film it is surprisingly tame.... oh I mean it's absolutely fucking bonkers but when compared to some of the truly bonkers films in his bonkers body of work this weird WEIRD film isn't as weird as it could have been.

I liked it.

A lot.

If you're into Sono's weirdness it's a film for you. If you're not into Sono works... maybe stay away.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:26 am

Bird of prey 2020

Wow, never thought it was possible to make a movie that claims to empower women, but then fails on every level to empower them.

SPOILER: Show
Just to say the problem here is not just the director it's the scriptwriter as well, and the problem stems from watching these women go through their shit and be constantly disrespected but at the end of the film just be richer and still be disrespected and have no allies outside themselves.

There is also a has a huge issue with male framing in that there is not a single good man in Gotham every single man is shitty, bad or a rapist. Female criminals don't exist outside the main cast causing a huge gender in balance which surprising me as the Deadpool films started to fix this issue in that he takes down women and much as men. The only other women that exists in the narrative are there to be shown as weak and feeble or in abusive relationships.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ewan McGregor are fantastic actors with great range, but there used so poorly here, and it feels like there both oh I gotta do my superhero tick box so lets get this over with, so I can have my check in the mail.

The most insulting thing though is Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya as Renee in the comics is not some shitty police officer she's a high level detective who is really highly respected but has an alcohol problem.

Yet the film has every single police dude and even her ex-girlfriend treating her like shit at every turn even going so far as to have her quitting and another male deceive stealing her glory forcing her to form the Birds of Prey at the end. Which I felt was a massive insult as true empowerment would have been for her to gain the respect of her peers or just to be respected in the first place and treated as an equal just not for them to be fully behind her on this certain case.

The characters also keep making a reference that she's like an 80's buddy cop yet misunderstands that in 80's movies these characters weren't disrespected in this manner or at this massive level and if they were it was normally by a few asshole people who shut up by the end and had their backs or changed their views.

The final fight also did not feel like a group banding together it felt like the characters winning by pure dumb luck and not team work again stripping away the empowerment as there not truly unified, and they hardly know each other in some cases.

Also, the director made a very bad call with the scene in the bar where Ewan McGregor forces a woman to strip down A as he is reduced to an 80's stereotype woman hater and not a complex interesting villain and B conflicts with the very heavy in your face queer coding that's been put on him even though it's not in the comics as your left going well if he is gay wouldn't he see the minority perspective and not pick on women? This resulting in a really muddled villain and message.

It also creates the, them vs us perspective as it's a straight/bi/lesbian woman vs the gay guy as well as implying its about men vs women as there are no female villain balancers who are against them.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:04 pm

The Dig (Netflix, 2021)

Generally well reviewed, but I found it disappointing. As a vehicle for Ralph Fiennes it was fine - it's always a pleasure to watch him - but the story itself they did not make the most of. A film about the discovery of Britain's most remarkable horde of treasure managed not to show us any of it, though there was excellent photography of the landscape. The process of the dig was extremely simplified, omitting early discoveries the experience from which helped with the later work. More background to the main characters would also have helped, but instead they parachuted in a completely fictitious character to have an affair with another character who, though real, had her personality and background brutalised to make her a stereotypical down-trodden woman. This affair had little relationship with the rest of the story, and no worthwhile payoff either, and served only to bore me.

Verdict - meh.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:20 pm

Takeshi Miikes Blade Of The Immortal

As far as live action Manga or anime adaptations go, this is one of the better ones, and it does probably the best thing it can do to adapt a source material several dozen volumes long with lots of characters and storylines, far more than can be shoved into one movie. It doesn't. It takes the best setpieces and moments of the manga and strings them on a mostly original story in order to justify them, although some elements from the books plot remain like Rins desire for revenge, the conspiracy with the main villain wanting to take over his mentors school, and minor setup with characters that are more relevant in the manga if it gets a sequel.
The big setpieces the story adapts from the manga are.

Two scenes of Manji fighting against an entire horde of hired Samurai thugs and winning. Both from towards the end of the Mangas actual run.

Manjis fight with the assassin prostitute with the shamisen bo staff.

Manjis fight with a fellow immortal who is much more experienced than he is with one of the best frames in the manga adapted perfectly.

They are pretty good too. Well shot cinematography, artistic shots, minimal use of digital special effects, and plenty of blood and gore and body horror.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:01 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:More background to the main characters would also have helped, but instead they parachuted in a completely fictitious character to have an affair with another character who, though real, had her personality and background brutalised to make her a stereotypical down-trodden woman. This affair had little relationship with the rest of the story, and no worthwhile payoff either, and served only to bore me.

Verdict - meh.

I agree with this I walked away feeling the same and wondering what the big deal is and I agree they really messed up with Peggy Piggott, who is a legend in her own right and I really didn't dig them implying her husband Stuart Piggott was gay as there is no historical proof of this. It reminds me of the thing they did in the film Ammonite 2020 where they go Mary Anning's was gay when there is no historical evidence of this unlike in The Favourite 2018 where proof of Queen Annes two female lovers fighting over her does exist and historical love letters proving it have been found.

Like I'm all for adding LGBT but I feel if you're going to do that only do if there's real historical proof, or if not create original characters to add in around the real historial cast, don't twist history or change someone's sexuality, so you can tick your LGBT tick box.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:09 pm

Extraction (2020)
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6P3nI6VnlY

- Very Good to Great-ish
- Great exotic setting.
- Action & fight choreography is all very well done.
- Surprising attention given to some of the side characters.
- Exiled Iranian actress Golshifteh Farahani is lovely. I hope she returns & gets more to do in the sequel.
- Only nitpick/flaw I can think of is David Harbour's role is overly predictable.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:52 pm

Gave Joker a watch for a class assignment based on it; it was alright. Some sequences dragged on longer than I'd have preferred and the first two thirds of the movie were just kinda... there.
The riot sequence towards the end was pretty fun and the only time he actually felt like Joke; without it 5/10, with it 7/10. Not a waste of time, but not exactly what I'd call great, either.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:24 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Gave Joker a watch for a class assignment based on it; it was alright. Some sequences dragged on longer than I'd have preferred and the first two thirds of the movie were just kinda... there.
The riot sequence towards the end was pretty fun and the only time he actually felt like Joke; without it 5/10, with it 7/10. Not a waste of time, but not exactly what I'd call great, either.

Todd Phillips actually didn't want to make this a Joker movie, he wanted it to be about a Comedian who turns into a killer, but couldn't get anyone to give the greenlight. So he took the original script, added some Superhero stuff to it, called it 'Joker' and got the greenlight. That would be like writing the script to John Wick, not being able to get it funded because it's an original idea so you slapped "Punisher" on it and had all the assassins go by names like Black Cat and Taskmaster or Hawkeye but changed nothing about how the characters behave or act in the script.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Ironically, I think the scenes that are obivously Joker are the best in the movie just by how unhinged they are, the rest felt far too subdued
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:54 am

I wish I had class assignments that forced me to watch things like Joker...What class was it, if I may ask? Psychology?

I would say that Arthur not feeling like Joker most of the time is actually kind of the point, as the film is by and large an origin story for Joker. The whole film is essentially Arthur slowly losing his grasp on sanity and ultimately just lashing out at anyone he thinks deserves it.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:24 am

video class, I have to write a scene analysis.

And yeah, it definitely is the point, and I think it's a good character backstory, just not really what I look for in a standalone movie

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:54 pm

Ray wrote:Todd Phillips actually didn't want to make this a Joker movie, he wanted it to be about a Comedian who turns into a killer, but couldn't get anyone to give the greenlight.

Yep. I don't like Todd Phillips or Joker but I respect how well he played the industry game with that film. He wanted to make a Martin Scorsese fan film - Joker is essentially just Taxi Driver & The King of Comedy mashed together without any intelligence and just an edgelord attitude - and when Warner Brothers said no he was all "....uh, what if it was about the Joker?" and then the film got made. I respect the way he played that situation to make a movie he wanted to make with few compromises - one positive for me about the film is since Phillips didn't really want to do a Joker flick he's not being cute with a ton of Batman iconography references throughout, like there's no mention of cat burglars or a dude who likes Riddles or any of that stuff- I just wish he'd made an actual film of substance.

Warner Brothers even offered Scorsese a huge check to "Executive Produce" the film and made a big deal about his being on board in 2017 but he backed out pretty early in production because he just couldn't find any interest in it. WB kept that on the hush-hush.

Honestly I was surprised studios hadn't done this earlier. Studios have slowly been killing off mid-budget movies - things that cost between $30 to 70 million - and have focused almost exclusively on micro-budget films or mega budgets. I would've thought years ago studios would have realized they could play around with franchises on mid-budget films and really make a killing money wise. Because of the Joker name even with an R rating that dumb film played like a blockbuster and cost less than 1/4th of what a normal Batman film costs to make.

Anywho, watched Minari last night. Incredible! It's playing in theaters but I did a virtual screening through A24. It's a powerful little film that delivers from start to finish.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:24 pm

Metropolis - no, not the silent classic (that's up shortly), but the anime film from 2001. It's very colourful, and the designs are quaintly old-fashioned even for its date. You have to concentrate not to miss some clues to what's going on - but that doesn't really matter, as there's no great moral behind the story. OK, it's not great, but I enjoyed it a decent amount, so it gets a pass.

If you're sensitive to casual anti-Semitism, be warned that the character aiming for world power has an unnaturally large nose...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Thanks, Blockio.

Personally I quite liked Joker, though I must admit it was quite a lot weaker on rewatch. Still, I feel it's a pretty good film that exemplifies the underlying darkness and unrest in modern society, some of its reasons and some of its potential consequences. There is, however, a large fault in that the film seems simplistic in some of its assumptions, such as its emphasis on lack of empathy as one of the main reasons for Arthur's downturn. While that's certainly a logical factor, I feel it's way too overused and speaks of Phillips not being very good at understanding the issues he discusses in a deeper format. Nonetheless, I think Joker is a pretty great film all the same.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Follow Me/No Escape 2020

I feel so weird with myself I normally hate trashy low budget B movies with teens getting locked up and tortured, but my god is this good and not in a so bad its good way it's in a good clever way.

I liked that this played on all the tropes but that was why it threw it used all the lazy tropes like sexist Russians vile influencers both the positive and negative sides of social media, but it never let on for a second that anything was fake, there was no ball dropping as the blood and guts looked realistic so did the deaths

So when the final five minutes rolled and its revealed that it was all fake and social media asshole lead has just killed someone for real, its heart stopping its like the dangers of social media gone to far the price for to much realism and you realize all the really bad tropes are there to play you, to make you think the worst as you've seen this before in other stuff like it.

It also has a very in your face social commentary about the dark web and that there are people online who enjoy watching suffering, while the other side of the web enjoy you being an awful and enjoy your asshole behaviour making you worse as a person. As Cole the lead there are hints that he enjoys fame more than protecting the others around him and this huge fake out leads to his worst self being revealed for all to see as there is a point where the person tries to tell him but he kills them as he's lost it and worse the world see's his murder leading to the question are influencers really worth it and should you trust them as people?

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:38 am

I don't generally post anything here as I don't feel like recommending anything I usually watch. But anyway, an exception... If Anything Happens I love you

I don't have much to say other than it's an absolutely beautiful American animated short film released in 2020. The art style is gorgeous, and plot... well, it's straight up beautiful. The plot, if anyone's interested, from imdb (the shortest and most spoiler free one as it seems):
If Anything Happens I Love You is a beautifully illustrated animated short film that takes us on an extraordinary emotional journey of two parents struggling to overcome the hurt left by a tragic event that leaves their family changed forever. The film is a stunning tale that juxtaposes the excruciating pain one can feel as well as the resilience of the human spirit. If Anything Happens I Love You is a touching experience for anyone who has ever loved and lost.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 pm

I mostly only remember Todd Phillips for Road Trip and Old School basically. Plus I heard that at one point, he was tight with GG Allin and even got to make a documentary on that weirdo. I wonder if the character Todd played in Old School and Road Trip is somewhat based on antics old GG might've pulled back in his day?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I mostly only remember Todd Phillips for Road Trip and Old School basically. Plus I heard that at one point, he was tight with GG Allin and even got to make a documentary on that weirdo. I wonder if the character Todd played in Old School and Road Trip is somewhat based on antics old GG might've pulled back in his day?

It's a weird twist of fate, the guy who directed the Hangover movies making a Joker movie that makes a billion dollars.

Return to “Film and Video”