Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 pm

Oh absolutely. You really get to see the passion coming from that man, and the dissapointment he felt when everything fell through. My comment was if I was a hypthetical producer and Jodorowsky came to me, I would have to refuse, even though I like what I see.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Willem Dafoe is a great actor.

I think that they should use digital magic to have Willem Defoe reprise all his roles but as the Green Goblin and composite him into the movies over himself. He’s the socially awkward detective in American Psycho, but it’s the Green Goblin. He’s Sgt. Elias dying in a hail of gunfire and betrayal, but it’s the Green Goblin. He has Madonna bound and tied and he’s raping her but she’s enjoying it, and he’s the Green Goblin. He’s in Antichrist smashing his own testicles with a hammer, but it’s the Green Goblin.

This is the only future for cinema. Otherwise filmmaking is obsolete and the feature film is a dead art.

:rofl: :hitthetable: :clap: This is my only response to this...
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

fnikhall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fnikhall » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote::rofl: :hitthetable: :clap: This is my only response to this...

hahahahaha exactly my response as well. I think Willem Dafoe is great in everything he is in honestly but I especially love him in the Spider-Man movies. Having that character appear in all of his other films would be just too great for all the wrong reasons. If they did it, I would watch it. An underrated Dafoe movie I watched recently too was "The Hunter." Willem Dafoe played a hunter who was searching for a thought to be extinct species in the wilderness. The plot sounds dull but there is a lot of great character drama and the acting is really solid.
"Just 'cause you feel it
Doesn't mean it's there" – There, There. Radiohead

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I saw Warner Brothers' Mowgli on Netflix. It was a pretty solid flick. I haven't seen Disney's live-action Jungle Book, mostly because I wanted to see Andy Serkis direct a version with a clean palette. The CGI wasn't as photorealistic as I've seen other attempts at CGI animals, but I actually liked how stylized the animals were better than what little footage I saw from the Disney version's trailers. The more they roughed up the faces of the animals, the better I think the CGI played out, whereas the cleaner looking animals never looked as good. Benedict Cumberbatch killed it as Shere Khan, and Cate Blanchett was mesmerizing as Kaa. I loved Andy Serkis' performance as Baloo. My only real complaint is that the scenes in the Man Village were all boring to look at. The cinematography was never able to visually compensate for not having fantastical-looking animals on screen, and it didn't seem like a creative decision either. It was more like they shot the village scenes in the same way they shot the jungle scenes, but they simply weren't as interesting to look at because the cool animals were replaced with boring people. But other than that, the rest of the movie is pretty good, and the musical score was great too.

Now I feel I can watch the Disney version, but I have to say, I don't know if I'll be as entertained with a completely photorealistic, authentic looking bear as I was with Andy Serkis' more definable visual character aesthetic. It's just a shame that this movie was "dumped" onto Netflix rather than given a proper theatrical release. It also doesn't help that Warner Brothers seems to look like it's constantly crapping the bed with their Disney competitors. DC sucked (it's sucked since MoS), and now Mowgli has a hard time performing as well as it should what with Disney making live-action version of their entire old library, which are rarely ever creative looking at all. (I've only seen their LA Beauty and the Beast, and it was an unimaginative and tedious chore to sit through.)

Yeah this is just how I felt about the village scenes they felt hollow and tacked on, also though the book is dark and the movie nails this and gets that the whole deal that Mowgli showing fire to Shere khan is in reality the first half of the story the village fight with him is the only interesting thing in the second half and changing Mowgli human father figure (Who was Indian in the book and believed Mowgli was his long lost dead son) to a white British hunter is really problematic.

Like its on the nose message about why trophy hunting was wrong in this time period and that the white hunter was an issue but in a modern movie it feels so out of place and does nothing but slow and drag Mowgli's story and means he never develops interesting relationships with the villages like the novel as the key point of that was they never got him ether as being from both worlds means he's never fully taken in by both sides.

My only other nit pick with this film is I wish it had just been lighter in places as the constant darkness is leaning on grim dark territory and hurts the narrative as it makes a second watch hard.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm

Speed

Still a good one! Popcorn action flick that hits all the right notes of seriousness and levity. Dennis Hopper is a superb villain.

My Wife is a Gangster 3

Seeing the girl from Transporter 1 kicking ass on tons of men and one duel with a female equal is all sorts of excellent. Bonus points for the scene of her and the male gangster grinding due to her taking over him driving the car down a flight of stairs. :tongue:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Men and Chicken- 8/10
Very absurd black comedy from Denmark, starring Mads Mikkelsen. One critic described it as the Three Stooges visit the Island of Dr Moreau, which is pretty bang-on. Go into it fresh without any prior knowledge. I'd highly recommend if you like weird, almost uncomfortable comedy like The Lobster.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Liverleaf: Japanese film about a schoolgirl who's bullies take it too far by burning her house down with her family inside, so she gets revenge by killing them all. Hyper stylized violence and really just bleak as all hell, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
https://youtu.be/uxHcU-vz1to

Cold Skin: Two dudes stuck on an island near Antarctica are besieged nightly by humanoids from the deep. Includes a gender reversed version of the Shape of Water love story. Great cinematography and haunting soundtrack make it worth checking out.
https://youtu.be/X2FOi4YZCDM

Big Trouble in Little China: Nothing needs to be said. Infinitely re-watchable.
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Watched the 2014 Godzilla the other day. Nothing special, but a fun action flick for sure, and a good way to spend an evening
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Three Billboards

Still trying to make up my mind about it, but the hospital scene was very...Moving isn't the right word..Affective, I guess?? I mean did get a bit teary...

Man, this one's all twisty for me because I thought the ending sort a rendered the film pointless and was antithetical to the film's "message," which felt like a pretense anyway...I guess I'm sort of confused by what was shown vs. what it was supposed to mean..It was well acted all the way around though...

The deer scene was genuinely touching though... Maybe I'll have to rewatch it at some point...
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am

Between yesterday and today, watched one of Takashi Miike's earlier works Shinjuku Triad Society. Full of graphic violence and gory bits, one thing I hear a lot from this is that nobody is really the good guy in this film and I would absolutely agree on that. Even the main cop Kiriya does his share of dirty deeds like beating up witnesses physically and sexually. Speaking of sex, there was a lot of gay sex in this which I don't mind since I am open minded although it makes me wonder whether Miike is a closet gay irl since many of his earlier films deal with the topic in some form or another.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Alita, Battle Angel.

Got a ticket for a preview through 'methodology'. Did not go away unsatisfied.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Watched Ant-Man and the Wasp on Netflix. It was alright, Not sure if I would want to rewatch it in the future, but I liked it more than a bunch of the recent MCU titles.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Godzilla: The Planet Eater, which is probably the worst entry in the Godzilla franchise. ('98 Zilla and Godzilla's Revenge included.) I'm gonna have to rewatch the whole trilogy though, just to dissect it.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:52 pm

Velvet Buzzsaw- Probably the best Netflix original I've seen. Absolutely tears apart the pretentiousness of the art world in a hilarious and sadistic fashon. Jake Gyllenhaal and Toni Collete are fantastic as usual. 9/10, would recommend.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 pm

I just came out of The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part.

This is definitely going to be one of my top films of the year, if not the top film. Rarely does a sequel surpass the original but this is in every way a perfect movie.

It celebrates the joy of discovery and the power of imagination and has a wonderfully powerful message about “putting away childish things”, plus it’s loaded with adult humor.

Stunning, gorgeous animation, brilliant humor, (one gag in the middle had me howiling with laughter) incredible music and a great message for kids and adults without being preachy.

Without giving too much away, this movie is a combination of what Ready Player One tried -and failed- to be, with the manic joy of one of those “the rapiest racistest era of Hollywood was so great ya’ll” movies, but without the a dumb Oscarbait downer ending and all the problematic shit.

I fully expect this fantastic movie to be ignored next awards season so Hollywood can gush over some boring but technically “interesting” crap in the animation category and continue blowing its load over its own face when the next movie about desperate actors in LA comes out.

Short version: Go see it, especially if you’re feeling down.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:01 am

Dragon Ball Super: Broly: Well, for all the Broly haters out there (including myself), the movie has changed Broly's backstory enough that Broly is less of a character. And for everyone else who enjoyed Broly, you'll love the film regardless. Yeah, so only read on if you want spoilers.

DBS: Broly Spoilers Ahead  SPOILER: Show
The film is wonderful, and actually has more of a story than just "Goku beats guy up" It completely rewrites Broly's backstory. Instead of being a giant fucking baby because Goku kept him with his crying, he's turned into a more tragic, childlike character that feels more sympathetic because he was trained (against his will by his father for revenge) that has an unbelievable and uncontrollable power. Just over half the movie delves into Broly's background and his coming to work for Freeza. Once the fighting starts, it gets intense, and is probably the best fight sequences I've seen in the series. Some of my favorite parts of the film were seeing the Dragon Ball Minus material be used in canon, Goku not being the main focus (which is rare), and Gogeta finally becoming cannon... though it was overkill that they went SSGSS, but that was balanced off by Vegeta calling Goku an idiot for allowing Freeza to live after the Tournament of Power.

Some Out of Context Screenshots from the film  SPOILER: Show
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:16 pm

^Broly was an absolute treat. Don't miss it if you're a DB fan. Blu-ray comes out in April if you missed it in theaters. ^_^

Last movie for me was Gehenna: Where Death Lives a horror movie Netflix kept pushing into my suggestions. Total fucking turd. Just avoid this one, you aren't missing anything.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Bomb City

I finally, finally, FINALLY got around to watching this just a few days ago. It was just as devastating (if not more so) as I had imagined it would be.

Granted, I've known about the story since 2005 and have Rea dup up on through different iterations (Im talking lie old tripod and angel fire websites) as well news articles.

My first introduction to the story was form an episode of A&E's City Confidential. I recall being called into the room when it was playing and almost immediately started crying after just a few minutes.

The reason for this response was that just a month before I saw the story, I was assaulted in a very similar manner.

I lived in a very small town in Texas
I had a mohawk
I had a reputation as being a trouble maker
There had been a long back and forth between my fiends and this large group pf football players/jocks and it culminated in my attack

About 10 or 11 of the jock kids jumped out of a big red pick up on the last day of school (my friends and I were headed to their house about 2 blocks away from the school) and proceeded to attack me. One of them had scissors and was ready to cut my head. Instead, I got stabbed a few times, ended up pretty roughed up and had to get stitches on my hand.

Ultimately, the cops questioned us and questioned them. They took one look at the history of things as they had played out over the past year or so (there was a huge fight in front of the one-movie-a-week theater in town 4 of us vs. like 12 of them, some in our grade and a lot form 9th grade and middle school). They looked at how we dressed vs. these kids who were very popular. In the end, they got some group counseling assigned to them and I ended up in counseling. Beyond that,no other action was taken despite the EMS workers taking photos, and me spending hours at the hospital getting pain meds, stitches, and getting x-rayed. Like Brian's situation, it too was a no-justice situation.

Going back to the movie, Brian's story has always resonated wth me. And the filmmakers did a good job. The movie is brutal and honest and gets down to the truth..And it was crazy to see all these little details I'd forgotten, but remember reading about all the years ago...I think they were as honest and authentic about he depiction as possible. Except for the kid name Cody Cates...His real name, Brian's murderer, was Dustin Camp. Piece of shit wouldn't let them use his real name for the movie...pussy.

Anyway, it's a good movie, its well she, and as shocking as some aspects are, it's a brutal, honest look at the story and there are even some interesting parallels to be drawn between what happened then and what's going in our world today.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:49 am

Have just rewatched the entirety of the Vengeance Trilogy for the third time. I can't get enough of those movies, the darkness of them is something that I could see many Eva fans get behind.
I do love me some Rei guns.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:54 am

Mirai (aka Mirai no Mirai)

I enjoyed this well enough, but was somewhat disappointed in it. The time travelling and time travellers showing Kun things about the world worked OK I suppose. But what was wonky in my eyes was that the film showed Kun being taught to get along with his younger sister, when from my Western viewpoint his bad behaviour was largely caused by poor parenting; and the oldest version of him we saw was as grumpy teenager who was no great advertisement for the lesson he was supposed to have been taught in any case...

No better than a straight B (or B- if I'm in a grumpy mood).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Film and Video”