Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Hacksaw Ridge: Solid war movie. Really pretty at times too.

SPOILER: Show
I liked the detail with the american troops basically admitting they killed wounded Japanese soldiers. It helps to have these moments in such movies, otherwise the carnage shown on screen could become far too black and white.

It's interesting to compare Garfield's performance here and in Silence. Both characters must deal with their own pride and whether they should abandon it or not. A funny coincidence.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

I don't know whether this should go in the Superhero thread or this one, but I saw LOGAN last night.

It managed to do two significant things that are quite rare whenever I go to movies nowadays:

1. It made me want to see it again the very next day.
2. It made my body produce water from my eyes, which then ran down my face.

It is by FAR the best solo wolverine film and probably the best X-men film ever made. No other film in that franchise made me as emotionally invested in the characters as this one. I've already heard it be described as Marvel's Dark Knight, and I can't really disagree with that comparison. It's raw and unabashed and had no moments of corn or camp, while still having room for dark humor and levity. Get your asses to this one.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:59 pm

Technically, it's not Marvel's Dark Knight. It's Fox's. There is no way in hell Disney Marvel would produce an R-rated movie. But I get your point.

Anyways. I finally Saw Lego Batman

It was stupid. I loved it. Given all the reviews ( and GendosPapa detailed post about it. I was expecting it to be a lot more mean-spirited towards the DCEU than it turned out to be.

I really love how they play the dramatic moments pretty straight. But they become hilarious because these super serious moments are done with toys.

It also had a bunch of surprise cameos that I was not expecting in a DC centered movie.

I'm fairly certain JRR Tolkien is turning in his grave over how they use a certain character from his books in this movie.
Sauron is easily the funniest character in this movie. A manifestation of pure existential evil, and he's taking orders from the Joker. . .

And Lego Agent Smith from the Matrix. . . .

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:33 pm

After the opening weekend getting sold out and me having to go to my sister's play, I FINALLY saw Get Out today.

And I'm so glad I waited that long because I was not disappointed.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 pm

I hate to say it but I was really disappointed by KONG: SKULL ISLAND. It had the flaws of Peter Jackson's 2005 remake but in reverse & exacerbated. Jackson's Kong was over-stuffed at a running time of over 3 hours. The new Kong is overstuffed by squeezing just as many action set pieces & storylines as the 2005 film in a running time of under 100 minutes. The film plays like it is on a 1.5 speed. Every shot feels a few frames too short. All action scenes start too quickly & end even earlier. Compelling narrative ideas are introduced - Sam Jackson really wants to get revenge on that damn ape - & then are over with almost nothing being achieved. It's a visually good looking film but doesn't allow much wonder or awe wash over the viewer. It has one of the best casts of recent memory but none of them really are allowed to do anything (Brie Larson's wet T-shirt & bra do more actual performing than she is allowed to do). The effects are essentially flawless but come on so fast that none inspire.

Perhaps I went in with expectations too high. I'll wait a week or two and then give the film another shot because I really thought this was a movie that would blow my mind. The ideas & sensibilities are there for a movie that just gets me. But it's more Jurassic Park III & Jurassic World than Jurassic Park.

Honestly, my favorite part of the film was:
The tag at the end of the post credit teaser. It's a poorly handled teaser - suddenly the soft spoken nerds are hard ass professionals - but the cave drawings of Godzilla fighting Rodan, Mothra & King Ghidorah is more inspiring than any of the moments in Kong. Plus, when the movie finally cuts to black you get a nice surround sound Godzilla roar at full volume.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Logan - Pretty damn good, and not just for a comic movie.
Kubo and the two strings - Impressive animation, meh story.
I am not a serial killer - no expectations going in, wasn't bad.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I hate to say it but I was really disappointed by KONG: SKULL ISLAND.

From the start this movie has had me asking, "Why???" None of it makes sense to me, and none of the previews have inspired confidence. I want to give it a chance, and I will at least watch it before passing judgement, but my sense of bewilderment is not abating.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:46 am

When everything is said & done for KONG: SKULL ISLAND basically exists as a prequel to GODZILLA VS. KONG so we know who this ape is when that movie comes out in 2020. I'm in the Godzilla camp when that battle happens.

Also, for all of director Jordan Vogt-Roberts talk about being massively inspired by Evangelion while making the film - he's name dropped the show routinely on Twitter & the press circuit - I didn't catch any real references or nods other than about thirty variations of that shot when Shinji first grips his hand shut when he's about to enter the Eva for the first time.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Because it was snowing in New York getting school cancelled, Me and my mom decided to watch a movie. Out of nowhere, I suggested 10 Cloverfield Lane. I don't why...I just did.

And thankfully, I didn't regret it. The whole thing is tightly put together, the tension is near-flawless, and the performances from John Goodman and Mary Winstead are just as good as everyone was making them out to be. The only complaint I have is that the CGI for
the aliens that appear in the final act
isn't that great. Other then that...yeah, I really liked it.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Kong was a legit satisfying monster movie. As for Eva references, Kong vs helicopters was a lot like Asuka vs vtols... And that spider!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I hate to say it but I was really disappointed by KONG: SKULL ISLAND.

Really sad to hear this as I least thought they would try harder with this movie due to what was in Peter Jackson's version, but as you say it's only there to further the cross over with Godzilla which is what I feared and like you I won't be in Kong's camp but Godzilla's when that movie finally comes out.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Went to see Kong: Skull Island with some friends today. I got to say, I was really not looking forward to the film. I knew that it was going to be the intro to yet another overly pointless, consumerist wet dream cinematic universe. It was a universe I had no interest to begin with. And from what I'd heard from Gendo's Papa (whose opinions line up with mine quite frequently), I figured the end result was going to be a really mediocre, appeal-to-the-lowest-common-denominator film that would only put some effort towards the script and little else like every other shitty tentpole cinematic universe 'film' such as Jurassic World, Ant-Man and Rogue One.

I have never been so happy to have been proven wrong in all my life.

Skull Island is very much a film of style over substance, just to get that out of the way. The grand majority of the cast don't have traits beyond maybe 'lackadaisical' or 'naive' (though I do think a couple have more to them than you'd think, as I'll discuss in the spoilers section). There isn't anything that's going to challenge your perception on some aspect of life or a concept presented within the film. The script, by and large, can be ignored and you won't lose too much from it.

That said, it still manages to make for a damn good action film, mainly on the back of some really strong visuals. And I don't mean special effects; I mean in terms of the framing and composition of the shots. Somebody working on this film had a keen eye for angles and shots that stand out, long after everything else has been forgotten, and this results in several gorgeous shots that made me wince, smile with delight and generally want to go find the person behind these visuals and give them a handshake for a job well done.

There were a lot of short action scenes, but I preferred having them be short but sweet. It means you go from one situation to the next, and not have to sit through more than 5-10 minutes of mindless action (compared to most other films, which prefer to go for 10-20-30-until-I-want-to-die minutes). Also, some of these scenes are great. The decision to fight a daddy long legs in a clearing of bamboo shots is inspired, and made the battle so much more tense than if it were in some other random place. The fight against the lizard in the foggy graveyard - both scary and a cracking watch, especially with the turn it takes halfway through (you know the one I'm on about). And then there's Kong's introduction. DAMN.

I never thought I'd say this, but director Vogt-Roberts actually managed to create a live-action equivalent to the Unit-02 vs JSSDF fight from End of Evangelion with this fight, and the end result is horrifyingly glorious. I won't say any more on this section besides that, because I feel this is something you've gotta see.

It's not a perfect film, of course. Like I said, most of the cast is pretty obvious and underdeveloped. The opening and ending scenes feel the most sloppy in terms of editing and frame composition. A couple of John C Reiley's scenes have a a tone dissonance from the rest of the film (though I have a soft spot for 'man out of time' characters like him, and I think there's some really good stuff with him). But, for me, it tried.

I hate films like Jurassic World, Ant-Man and Rogue One because I feel like they don't try. These are films with massive studio infrastructures behind them; films that will make their money back merely by announcing their existence to the world; films that could afford to take risks and push everyone else to do the same. And they don't. These are incredibly mediocre, safe films that have nothing worth of interesting discussion apart from how they have nothing worth of interesting discussion (or, in Jurassic World's case, deeply awful sexism).

Kong: Skull Island, on the other hand, tries. It tries to have strong visuals that use the medium of film to a purpose beyond filming an adequately written script. It tries to tell subtle stories with the few characters that have some potential. It tries to have several short action scenes, just so it can try out as many ideas as it can and not have any of them overstay their welcome. Whether or not it works will be a very subjective thing, but the fact that Skull Island tries when it very easily couldn't have and still made as much money as it did; well, that makes me incredibly happy to have gone and seen it.

Thank you, director Jordan Vogt-Roberts. You tried to be more than what you were expected to do, and you did a good job of that in my mind. Best of luck with the Metal Gear Solid movie.

Despite what Gendo's Papa said about Sam Jackson's character, Colonel Packard, I think he does get a character arc that does get resolved - just that it's one I feel you have to look out for. It's implied that Packard is not happy about having to pull out of Vietnam. He spends his introduction in his office, bitterly drinking booze as the hours fly by, and when questioned about losing the war, he refuses to believe that they lost the war. Then, when his crew arrives to an island that resembles parts of Vietnam and gets trashed by a giant monkey native to the island*, all of Packard's repressed frustration with Vietnam is unleashed into a desperate bid for revenge. Probably the biggest clue that he hasn't let things go is when one of the characters suggest pulling out, or something along those lines, and he shouts in a manner more angry and desperate than at any other time in the film "WE AREN'T GOING TO LOSE!". Packard cannot lose to Kong, because in his mind, that's basically the same as losing the Vietnam War. And in the end, as he tries to blow up Kong after being told by everyone not to and as Kong is trying to save them from the big lizard, we can see that he'll never let it go. For that mistake, he dies.

I think that makes a pretty good character arc, if you ask me.

*I'm aware of the racist connotations that come from comparing monkeys to the Vietnamese, but I feel like that's the point in this case. Packard sees Kong in the same way he saw the Vietnamese: a dangerous threat that must be extinguished. I do apologize in advance, however, if this still offends you.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:31 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I hate to say it but I was really disappointed by KONG: SKULL ISLAND. It had the flaws of Peter Jackson's 2005 remake but in reverse & exacerbated. Jackson's Kong was over-stuffed at a running time of over 3 hours. The new Kong is overstuffed by squeezing just as many action set pieces & storylines as the 2005 film in a running time of under 100 minutes. The film plays like it is on a 1.5 speed. Every shot feels a few frames too short. All action scenes start too quickly & end even earlier. Compelling narrative ideas are introduced - Sam Jackson really wants to get revenge on that damn ape - & then are over with almost nothing being achieved. It's a visually good looking film but doesn't allow much wonder or awe wash over the viewer. It has one of the best casts of recent memory but none of them really are allowed to do anything (Brie Larson's wet T-shirt & bra do more actual performing than she is allowed to do). The effects are essentially flawless but come on so fast that none inspire.

Having seen it today I think your film background is making you overly critical. In contrast to Peter Jackson's flick, this Skull Island seems almost livable. I mean, the apes and the skullcrawlers are stupid, and the less said about the spider and the stick insect the better, but the buffalo was a really nice touch and the lack of dinosaurs and giant insects and such literally everywhere allowed SoD to take hold even in a biology nut like me. I really liked the fact that the natives looked like islanders rather than Africans, and the fact that the film took place in the 70s (don't see films set in that time period much) made a lot of the stupid stuff -- like using explosives to map the place -- easier to swallow. And I really liked the cast, and found it easy to keep track of who was who throughout -- not an easy feat to manage when you're dealing with a cast that large with limited screen time for each of them.

Really, the biggest issue I had was the rationale behind the two leads -- I couldn't see much of an excuse for Larson's character (you'd think the survey team would have an in-house photographer, and why the heck wasn't she shooting in color??? Color photography was the dominant form by the 70s, so I didn't get the B&W business), and who the heck was Hiddleston supposed to track? Neither made a lot of sense. They were good characters, but their inclusion had me going, "okay, whatever" more than most of the stupid critter stuff did.

So, very enjoyable film overall. Oh, and one tidbit I liked: Kong is young. One of the reasons it's set in the 70s is so that the movie can be shot at its current scale while still giving Kong time to grow into Godzilla's weight class for their 2020 matchup. I have no idea what the rationale behind that will be, but as setup goes I thought it was pretty clever.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh I got Sam Jackson's character arc. But like everything else in the film it was underdeveloped, one note and left me feeling nothing so I was left with looking at the pretty pixels that inspired no wonder in their execution.

Kong: Skull Island is not a bad film at all. But for me at least it just barely rose above mediocre. And since I went into that one expecting something close to the magic of Godzilla 2014 I was left very underwhelmed. Waste of a great cast too. Shea Whigham is a goddamn treasure.

Mind you I fully understand how people can like this movie. This isn't a case of Jurassic World or Into the Woods where the film is such poorly executed garbage that it's impossible for me to fathom how people can enjoy it. I get it. I was just very let down. I'll be there for Godzilla Vs. Kong but as of right now I found the Godzilla film to be close to a damn masterpiece and the Kong film to be only slightly better than the campy 1976 version.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 am

Man, Disney has made better sequels than Moana - and those are terrible. The squat, blocky animation was an eyesore, the main character was obnoxious, and the writing was so stiff, with mind-numbingly dumb jokes like, "When you autograph with a chicken it's called tweeting".

GET. OUT.

Most of the songs were pretty good, but felt really sudden and out of place whenever they happened. The only two that felt like they transitioned smoothly were Maui's "You're Welcome" and "We Know The Way". Otherwise each one feels like a set piece you're forced to sit through, especially when the movie consistently breaks the fourth wall, or calls attention to it. "HEY WE'RE GOING TO TELL YOU A STORY IN SONG FORM. ISN'T IT FUNNY THAT DISNEY MOVIES DO THAT. HA. HA."

And the chicken sidekick. I... I just... whoever thought that was a great idea should be fired.

Overall, a boring movie with an interesting culture and the occasional great idea that isn't enough to hold it up. Like Maui's tattoo buddy. That was great!
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Azaeroe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Azaeroe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:07 am

Love & Pop.

I'm trying to find somewhere where I can watch Shiki Jitsu.
I have no message of hope to deliver [...] I know only that every single one of us reeks of selfishness, masochism and death. We have created a system in which it has simply become impossible to live

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 pm

View Original PostAzaeroe wrote:I'm trying to find somewhere where I can watch Shiki Jitsu.
There's a region free BD collection with English subs covering Anno's live action movies.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Azaeroe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Azaeroe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There's a region free BD collection with English subs covering Anno's live action movies.

Thank you.
I have no message of hope to deliver [...] I know only that every single one of us reeks of selfishness, masochism and death. We have created a system in which it has simply become impossible to live

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Warcraft...and I was kind of disappointed...it wasn't the CGI or the costumes it was the script and I don't think they spent enough time on each character and you getting to know them and understand them and in my view they didn't use the actors well enough and because of this certain scenes just didn't have the punch they should have had. Only silver lining of this is a want to check out the universe and games as it looks really interesting as its a very different take on fantasy.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:46 am

The Virgin Spring:

This was one of the hardest movies I've ever watched. The rape scene with the Virgin was just so shocking and so straightforward and staged so matter-of-factly that it just made me cringe up as I watch this which I guess was the intent.

It seems all of bergman's movies are attempting to reconcile godly people dealing with a Godless world. Say what you will about seventh seal but that was a much more optimistic movie than this one.

Return to “Film and Video”