Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Continued from

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:@ Chuck and Xander

The only version of Star Trek I kinda enjoyed was Next Generation Good Sirs, I honestly don't have any interest in seeing the new stuff.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:35 pm

The Usual Suspects

Kevin Spacey is great as expected, but Benicio Del Toro steals the show with that ridiculous accent. I also love how the Keyser Soze flashback has him possessing this flowing mane of hair. A bit of wish fulfillment there, eh

SPOILER: Show
Verbal?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby heavytread » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 pm

The Lego Movie
:rofl: Oh my gosh this movie is awesome! There's only a few part I didn't laugh at. Charlie Day as Benny the 1980 something astronaut, Liam Neeson as Bad Cop and Morgan Freeman as Vitruvius make this movie awesome.

SPOILER: Show
You mean this was all happening in the real world and Will Farell is both Lord Business and the kids dad!?!

I did not see that coming.

Also SPACESHIP! And HOLYCRAPMETALBREADISATRANSFORMER!

Due to that ending they left them selves with a need for a sequel!

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Gravity

If you haven't seen it yet, you should correct that mistake soon. The effects speak for themselves, but Sandra Bullock and George Clooney were both great and I'm usually not a fan of ether of them. Alfonso Cuaron has made a lot of great movies, but this might be the one he's remembered for.
Movin' Right Along

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Fargo

Movie's almost 20 years old... hard to believe how quickly time flies

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:53 pm

The Purge.

Interesting premise, but the idiot-ball juggling jamboree killed any enjoyment it might have offered.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:00 am

Watched First Blood tonight. Last time I saw it I must have been 15 or so, can't believe I took such a long gap between rewatching the Rambo series. Now that I'm a bit more mature, that ending hit me a lot harder than I remembered it.

"Nothing is over! Nothing! You don't just turn it off!"
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:49 am

Watched Kick-Ass 2, I really didn't like it. The first one is the best so far.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Uzumaki, it was decent enough to keep my attention at least. Now I'm gonna see spirals everywhere again though.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 am

Watched Vanilla Sky tonight with a couple of friends. I'd seen it previously but it doesn't fail to impress, especially in this fantastic use of soundtrack as an active part of the film itself as well as what is arguably the best acting Tom Cruise has ever done. Everyone here should watch this film for reasons I can't get into without massive spoilers.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:10 am

I like Vanilla Sky too, a lot, great performances all around and a visual treat. Definitely underrated.

Recently saw Spring Breakers for the first time, a great satire and James Franco absolutely steals it with his utterly unique performance; didn't know what to feel about the film at first but the more I think about it the more I like it.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'd seen it previously but it doesn't fail to impress, especially in this fantastic use of soundtrack as an active part of the film itself...

Soundtrack is ridiculously good. This one's probably my favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKFFrfT4E1c
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Just saw the Avengers for the second time. I was able to recall things from previous movies better this time around so I was better able to follow the plot which much the movie even more enjoyable.
Movin' Right Along

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm so giddy right now as I realized that my all-time favorite Finnish movie, Riot-On, is available on Youtube. The film only toured the festival circuit for a while, had some airings on Finnish TV and a very limited DVD release in Finland, Sweden and apparently in Australia of all places. It was also officially available on Voddler for a while, but that version is no longer up, so chances are you're not going to be able to see it in any convenient, legal way, and thus I have to recommend the Youtube option. I'm not going to post a link, but you can find it by searching for Riot On Documentary (2002).

Essentially, the film is a documentary about the dot-com boom excesses of the titular Finnish mobile gaming company, symptomizing the larger pathologies of unhinged economic bubbles in general. What sets the film apart from scary, somber autopsies like Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room is that it's also a confessional written, produced and directed by the very same people who caused the debacle and ran the company to the ground in the first place. This gives it a potentially unreliable narrative voice, and to be fair, the film doesn't market itself as a documentary but a "fucked-up media opera". It is also funny as shit. Oh my god. When I watched it for the first time, I pretty much pissed myself laughing. Sometimes it feels like watching Inside Job if it was narrated by Jordan Belfort instead of Matt Damon. This overall approach leaks into the visual style as well; not all that many documentaries ask the question "Where the fuck did all that money go?" while interspersed with some totally random tits. (And yes, the movie is entirely in English, although do be prepared for some thick Finnish accents in interviews.)

As you might gather, the film is not particularly worksafe material, and I'm frankly amazed it hasn't been deleted from Youtube. Even the trailer is somewhat NSFW; after all, it wouldn't be a proper Finnish film without some cock.

All I learned about business management, mobile game development and Finnish business culture I learned from this film. Ursus, this is pretty much obligatory viewing for you.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:57 pm

^Every second was worth it. Thanks for alerting me about this film Dr. Nick!
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Transformers: Age of Extinction

:look:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 am

At this point I'm fairly sure Bay sold his soul to the devil so that Every movie he makes is a hit, despite the fact that plotwise, and acting wise they are usually terrible. And then there's the fact Bay has all but sold out to China. The same regime that enslave their own populace, and destroyed thousands of years of culture when they annexed Tibet?

T4 is actually under performing in the US box office, but it'll still make millions thanks to the Chinese Box office.

I'll never be able to go to the movies with a clean conscience again. . .this is why I prefer Anime over western media.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:53 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I'll never be able to go to the movies with a clean conscience again. . .this is why I prefer Anime over western media.

Wait, what? You dislike "western media" because it sells well in China? How does a film's popularity in China have anything to do with how you feel about the film yourself? Not to mention that singling out China as the big bad guy is questionable in itself. Furthermore, are you aware of the fact that just like "western media" anime is also popular in China?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

A neccesary measure. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 am

Galaxy Quest

We need to annex this movie as the 10th Star Trek film. In this way, balance to the franchise may be restored.

So frustrating what's been happening on the Sequel front
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:52 am

Am I the only one who likes the 10th Star Trek film? It's sure as shit better than the 9th, 5th and 1st entries.
Movin' Right Along

Return to “Film and Video”