Did anyone get Eva 3.0 vibes from the third Madoka film?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

WunderBah
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 29, 2013

Did anyone get Eva 3.0 vibes from the third Madoka film?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby WunderBah » Sat May 31, 2014 11:55 am

In terms of it's ballsy narrative and whatnot? I'm referring to Rebellion of course.

I just finished watching it today, all i can say is that the experience felt similar to my first viewing of 3.0 last year, but it was overall very enjoyable IMO. :lol:

Also correct me if i'm wrong, but did Rebellion also get a similar polarizing reception like 3.0, or was it a different case altogether?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2705
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat May 31, 2014 12:19 pm

(Following text doesn't answer to your question, but it still compares both films in some way)

Robersora wrote this in the Madoka thread and I partly agree with this:
View Original Postrobersora wrote:And now for all the comparisons between Q and Rebellion, Eva and Madoka.

SPOILER: Show

To me Q and Rebellion seem like the polar opposite in what they strived and managed to do. Yes, both of the movies are grim dark rape feasts on the shoulders of everyone involved. And yes, that was what we expected from both of them. But the execution of the grim-darkness could not be more different.
While Q’s story is quite complex, and is fabricated in a way to seem even more convoluted due to omissions of information, Madoka’s story is not complex, but the journey to the truth is paved with red herrings and false information.
Additionally Q also serves as an introduction to a new world and as a set-up for the impending finale of the whole series. Rebellion on the other hand sole purpose is to forcefully break up the established narrative as wide as possible to give opportunity for a sequel in the first place. While both movies are pretty stagnant in terms of plot development, the reason for that is different in both movies. While Rebellion is a preparation for the twist at the end, the entirety of Q served as execution of the twist.

Yes the ending of Rebellion was like a slap in the face, but even that slap felt forced and came after one and a half hour of banter. While Q dared to twist everything what Eva was at the core, leaving almost no pillars of the original structure, Rebellion took the tropes of the original series and turned it up to eleven.

I don't want to say, that one approach is worse than the other... I just find Qs approach to be the more interesting one.

While Madoka basically gave us more of the same and did not do anything utterly unexpected, as almost 2/3 of the movie play in a dream world and thus have no lasting effect or meaning what so ever, Q gave us a slap in the face, because Q dishes us the cold reality from the get go. While yes, you might argue, Rebellion just portrayed the journey of lonely Homu-chan becoming some sort of retarded devil, and thus does have effect on the overall franchise, the whole thing felt like a cheap excuse to vindicate further sequels. That’s what I mean with appendix. Madoka was fine the way it was, but now they plastered some convoluted explanation on the top of it to make space for indefinite sequels that ultimately add nothing meaningful to the original. While Rebellion ultimately breaks because I could never shake off the feeling that it shouldn’t exist, Q manages to immerse me far better, because it does not hurt the original and makes much more sense in the realm of NTE, since NTEs story was far from over already.
Avatar: "Anime-lehti" logo

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 31, 2014 2:54 pm

If I push it, I can make similarities between the two. However, I wouldn't say that Evangelion comes into my mind when I think of Madoka.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 6890
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Sat May 31, 2014 5:46 pm

I still don't get why people insists that Rebellion is a grimdark version of the series.
It's actually the complete contrary, a Lighter and Softer version!

Even with all the mindfuck, the movie completely lacks the atmosphere of hopelessness and fatalism that permeated the original series, the musics are more light-hearted, everyone is more balanced (even non-brainwashed Mami and Kyoko), and just compare the fact against Homulilly in Rebellion with the fight against Walpurgis Natch in the series : in the latter Homura was all alone in a fight that was clearly hopeless with ominous music playing on he background, while for the later we have a whole team of Magical Girls fighting with a clear plan to defeat Homulilly and save Homura (in contrast to put the Witch's soul out of her misery like it was with Sayaka and Oktavia) and repelled her army with such efficiency that it was almost a curb-stomp battle (only the Clara Dolls managed to be anything but a warm-up for the girls) while a bombastic and triumphant music was played int he background.

And even after Homura losing it and becoming a demon, except for her and Kyubey (but fuck him) everyone is as happy as they were in the barrier illusion : Madoka is back with her family, Sayaka and Kyoko live together, and Mami and Nagisa met in the street and it's implied that they'll become friend.

In short, Rebellion was a Lighter and Softer story with a darker ending that still manages to be lighter than the original series, while 3.0 had an atmosphere of bleak miserableness that ended with an even darker premise, with just only the barest hint of hope on the horizon, thanks to Kaworu's last words and the preview for FINAL.
In fact Rebellion and Q seems more to be mirrored images of each others.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TheFriskyIan
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat May 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Of course I did, considering Madoka is only riding the movie train because they saw Eva do it.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 31, 2014 11:30 pm

Y'know, Gurren Lagann, Patlabor, and Ghost in the Shell went the movie route as well.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4962
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Social Distancing At Home
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 pm

I found the new Madoka to be a noisy & ugly mess. Simply a lot of garish colors & images thrown at the screen in hopes that people would be fooled into finding deeper meaning in what is ultimately an empty & shallow set up for a sequel series.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Minus the homumado being canon and kyosaya being basically canon this movie tried to hard to be "dark" and ended up falling flat on its face
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

airman4
Shamshel
Shamshel
Age: 36
Posts: 299
Joined: Nov 15, 2012
Location: Dakar
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby airman4 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I found the new Madoka to be a noisy & ugly mess. Simply a lot of garish colors & images thrown at the screen in hopes that people would be fooled into finding deeper meaning in what is ultimately an empty & shallow set up for a sequel series.


Noisy mess...

you hated the sounds and music of the movie ?

WunderBah
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 29, 2013

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby WunderBah » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:14 pm

^I think he means the overall writing & presentation in general.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 6890
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 am

I'm the only one who actually liked Rebellion?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm the only one who actually liked Rebellion?

i liked the fact that my yuri pairings are now canon but apart from that i really didnt like rebellion
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 74
Posts: 10452
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm the only one who actually liked Rebellion?

After I first watched it I felt that I was almost the only one who didn't like it; but I have the impression that opinion might have moved against it to some extent.

But I simply don't see any worthwhile comparison between Rebellion and Q. They're both startling changes in direction of the story, but that's a thing that stories do - I can't see any useful comparison at a more detailed level than that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Oh my! That's so lewd!" (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

airman4
Shamshel
Shamshel
Age: 36
Posts: 299
Joined: Nov 15, 2012
Location: Dakar
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby airman4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:33 am

People hate changes direction in story (especially when it doesnt go in their own personal direction ) , maybe that explains the Hate

robersora
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 4126
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm the only one who actually liked Rebellion?


I loved it as a movie which entertains, I hated it as an addition to Madoka. God bless, I'm not a huge Meguka-fan, so I can still have a fun time with Rebellion.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 6890
Joined: Feb 26, 2013
Location: France
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:49 am

I see, I get the feeling that it will be like 3.0 : its popularity will depend on what will follow, since it's a prologue for a new setting in the franchise.

That's the biggest parallel with Q that I can think of.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

robersora
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 4126
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 am

^
Maybe you should read my thoughts about Rebellion in the official Meguka-Thread. I'm curious what you think about my problems with Rebellion.

@topic: I can see why people would compare Rebellion to Q, because superficially they are similar. But not more than Utena Movie is similar to EoE. If you start digging deeper you can see, that they are all ambitious, well realised, dark movies. But everything else is different.
It's like comparing The Dark Knight to Watchmen. Sure, both have superheroes, both are somewhat gritty. But that's it.

But maybe we should all stop comparing and try to enjoy all this fantastic media on its own accord. :)
(does that make sense? can you say on its own accord in this context?)
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2705
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:06 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm the only one who actually liked Rebellion?

I really liked it, BUT my final opinion on the film depends on how well season 2 is executed.
Avatar: "Anime-lehti" logo

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:45 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I'm the only one who actually liked Rebellion?

Have you been reading none of my posts about it? :lol: Rest assured, you ain't the only one.

ApolloIVtv
Adam
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 64
Joined: Oct 18, 2013
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ApolloIVtv » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 pm

Wait, people are comparing Rebellion to Q? I always thought Rebellion was more compared to End of Eva, which I think had more similarities in the first place (not story-wise really, more like the role the movie played for the entire series).

That being said, I still think Q and EoE are better. Even though I like Rebellion, the ending really did ruin it for me. Not mainly because I thought it wasn't really built up properly (though you could argue against that), it's mainly because it was made to make another sequel. I thought the show was perfect on its own, and the movie was set up so perfectly as an epilogue, but no, it was just a bridge for even more stuff. I guess I just viewed the movie the wrong way, but even if I watch the movie for what it is, I still think it wasn't really executed very well.

I think the movie makes up for it though for pretty much everything else in it. The style, the music, and the imagery was just so perfect. And plus the after credits scene really gets to me, because it's not only kinda eerie and creepy, but you do really start to understand Homura's insanity. That's one good thing I can say about the ending.

Compared to Eva though, I just don't it was as interesting as Q or as geniusly messed up EoE is. Hell, even though PMMM show itself was more coherent (as a deconstruction), paced, and animated better, I still think Evangelion is top show. It's not really because I see Madoka as an Eva knock off (which it isn't), I just felt like it was stepping in familiar territory. But when you view the PMMM for what it should be, a tragedy, then I think it has an upper hand, but then there would be no point to compare the 2 shows.

so yeah, there it is


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests