Afterwards... [now complete]

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:34 pm

^
Errr, I think that even in NGE souls doesn't carry memories, and that Rei's session in the Dummy System factory's vat of LCL also save her recent memories to transfer them to the next clone alongside her soul.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:37 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Errr, I think that even in NGE souls doesn't carry memories, and that Rei's session in the Dummy System factory's vat of LCL also save her recent memories to transfer them to the next clone alongside her soul.

They clearly do, else Shinji and Asuka would be blank slates upon coming back from LCL. Likewise, Yui and Kyoko would remember absolutely nothing about their children.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Instrumentality is an entirely different beast from regular cloning.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Ooh, I really liked Scene 7. It was poetic, without coming across as pretentious... there was a nice flow to it, and I liked how Rei Q and Shinji's sections were separate and yet what they were thinking about tied together nicely.

As for the previously missing Scene 4, now I'm very curious to see what'll happen if Asuka finds out everything Shinji told Sakura in Scene 6!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Instrumentality is an entirely different beast from regular cloning.

Not really. Souls are souls.

Not to say that has any bearing on the ENT series, though.

Paul: All this time I've thought that "Unit 01" was the proper shorthand designation for Shogoki, but with a bit of research I've learned that "Eva-01" is indeed correct. Whoops. -o-;
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:30 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:As for the previously missing Scene 4, now I'm very curious to see what'll happen if Asuka finds out everything Shinji told Sakura in Scene 6!

I have the hunch that it might be what the next part will be about, or if not this one, then the one after.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:52 am

Asuka is in the next scene, but not with Shinji; it's a meeting of Wille staff. After that Shinji will be allowed to talk to Rei, but they will need more than one scene together to work out what I have in mind. Asuka and Shinji will come face to face after his first meeting with Rei - slight spoiler: The working title of that scene is: "A Distant Horizon"

View Original PostBagheera wrote:All this time I've thought that "Unit 01" was the proper shorthand designation for Shogoki, but with a bit of research I've learned that "Eva-01" is indeed correct. Whoops. -o-;

Hmm. I've given it no thought; it seems I've used Unit-01 the whole way through until scene 7 which just appeared to call for Eva-01. I'll consider going back to make it consistent.

The Japanese means Unit, of course, but even in the show, the screens show EVA while they are saying -gouki. Some people object to Unit as being inappropriately mechanical for this show. But Unit usually flows better in English than Eva, to my mind, which may be why ADV and Manga used it for their translations, for instance.
Last edited by pwhodges on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:58 am

^

I can definitely say that I'm looking forward to THAT chapter. I have yet to see a GOOD Rebuild chapter featuring a good talk from Asuka and Shinji being in the same room.

Hopefully, it will end well, and not be one-sided with Asuka berating him while he's in a "coma".
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:26 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Asuka and Shinji will come face to face after his first meeting with Rei - slight spoiler: The working title of that scene is: "A Distant Horizon"

Interesting, I wonder what said "distant horizon" refers to? The distant possibility of a reconciliation perhaps? :D

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Hopefully, it will end well, and not be one-sided with Asuka berating him while he's in a "coma".

That will be hard, since Shinji got out of his catatonia in part 6 (although he tended to fall back into it when he's recalled of traumatic event, but I'm confident that Sakura won't give Asuka the green light until she deems Shinji sufficiently strong mentally to confront her)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:37 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Interesting, I wonder what said "distant horizon" refers to? The distant possibility of a reconciliation perhaps? :D

I assumed it referred back to Kaji's commentary on the gulf between men and women.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 am

The best references have multiple meanings, of course :wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:45 am

LAS! :tongue:

:lol:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:52 am

What, me!?

I don't do shipping, of any brand - it's not a natural part of the Evangelion story. If the characters reach a point where they can manage to get along without killing each other, and perhaps even become friends of a sort, then a lot has been achieved, and there's some hope for the future.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 am

What's shipping and what does it have to do with them not killing each-other?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 am

^
Shipping means romantic relationship, and in this case it has nothing to do with the story, it was just me making a joke about PW saying that the title of the chapter with the confrontation between Shinji and Asuka could had multiple meanings. :tongue:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:42 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:What's shipping and what does it have to do with them not killing each-other?

A "ship" is a relationship forced on a pair of characters by fans; typically it is out of character or in violation of canon. Here the term is also used for pairings that are not inconceivable. The abbreviations LAS, LKS, etc stand for Love-Asuka-Shinji, Love-Kaworu-Shinji etc.

Not killing each other was referring to the various strangulations and such-like in NGE/EoE, or Asuka's violence towards Shinji in Q.

In the web comic forum where I am admin, we forbid shipping of any sort, because in the past it led to unpleasant arguments and bad behaviour; also the comic's author dislikes his characters being mauled.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:09 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:What, me!?

I don't do shipping, of any brand - it's not a natural part of the Evangelion story. If the characters reach a point where they can manage to get along without killing each other, and perhaps even become friends of a sort, then a lot has been achieved, and there's some hope for the future.

Besides, that's my job anyway. :tongue:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 am

Yet another style of writing! :wink:

Scene 8, 'Meeting' -  SPOILER: Show
Present: Misato Katsuragi (remotely), Asuka Shikinami Langley, Touji Suzuhara, Sakura Suzuhara.

M: As you know, I hate having to meet remotely like this, so I want to keep the meeting short. In a moment I'll be asking each of you for a report on what's been going on.

A: Fat lot of good asking me, as that ass over there has kept me locked out of the detention block!

M: Your turn will come, Asuka! Say it then.

M: As I was saying, I'll be asking for your reports, but before that I'll tell you what the arrangements for the detainees will be for the time being.

M: It has been decided that Shinji Ikari is to be kept at the frontier base until further notice. We feel that there is still a significant risk that Nerv might make an attempt to gain custody of him again; but we are also concerned at the possibility that they might also attempt to recover Unit-01 from its present position in the Wunder, and so it's in our interest to keep their possible targets well apart so as not to make it any easier for them.

M: Quite apart from that, it is felt that Shinji Ikari should in any case be kept as far away from Unit-01 as possible. It is vital that there is no possibility of them coming together, as the results of such an event might be disastrous, and cannot even be predicted with any confidence.

M: We see no reason to treat the Ayanami type specially, but you already have her in custody, and there is no reason to move her - so it's convenient for her also to remain at the frontier base.

M: Touji, do you need any extra facilities as a result of this, or will your present arrangements suffice?

T: The present arrangements are adequate, thank y'. The detention block is otherwise empty, and our security barriers are in good order; in any case, neither of the prisoners has shown any sign that they might try to get away.

A: What would Impact Boy need to do to escape anyway - curl up into a ball again and roll out under your gate?

M: Asuka!

T: Y' see the problem I've been having with 'er? Now where was I? Ah yes: they are currently being kept in solitary confinement, fed in their cells, and given separate opportunities for exercise - which neither of them has made use of.

M: Are you worried about their health?

T: No, physically they seem fine; but Sakura can probably give you a better picture.

M: Sakura?

S: Yes; no, well, they both seem to be in good physical health. I was worried about the Ayanami type as I understand their metabolism can become unstable without medication, but in this case no problems have become apparent so far. She's weird, though - she just sits there and says nothing unless spoken to. Doesn't do anything ... oh, except sometimes she stares for a while at the table where she's left that ancient music player she was carrying; it's as if she's puzzled by it.

M: An old music player? ... ah, I see ...

M: Carry on; what can you report about Shinji Ikari.

S: Ikari; yes, er, Shinji. Well, um, he's started talking at last. But he still finds it difficult. It seems that however I prompt him, or whatever I ask him about, he ends up talking about a disaster of some kind, which upsets him, and then he has a bit of a relapse.

A: Story of his sorry little life, eh? Do you think perhaps we should just put him out of his misery?

M: Asuka! Will you just stop that!

S: Lieutenant, really, I mean, if you could hear some of the things he says! I truly think you might see him differently,...

A: (humph)

S: ...but he's not really in a fit state to talk to anyone else yet - let alone face you, lieutenant!

S: There is one thing, though. He's been talking about Rei; that was the name of the first child, wasn't it, who died in his last battle? It's also the name that the Ayanami types use, of course, but he seems to be confused by the difference. After all, he's not been around to see the Ayanami series before. Anyway, he's asked to be allowed to talk to the Ayanami type - to Rei, as he calls her - and I wonder if we should let him? This request is the first thing that he's managed to do off his own bat since he arrived here, and I get the feeling that it's really important to him and I wonder if it might even help him recover some more mental stability.

A: Wants to plot his next impact, I expect...

M: Please, Asuka, just wait your turn.

M: Yes, Sakura; I think that should be allowable. I'll want to run it past Ritsuko as well, so wait for my confirmation - but I think it'll be all right. Touji can provide a secure room with monitoring, I presume.

T: Yeah, can do.

M: Now, Asuka, do you actually have anything to report?

A: Me? What would I have to say? I'm not even being allowed to see the prisoners, or hear what they're saying. Why am I stuck out in this God-forsaken spot anyway? I just want to get back to work!

M: I understand; but right now your work is being my representative on the spot in case anything important changes. Sometimes you just have to be patient, and accept the boredom. Please put up with it for a bit longer.

M: Now, I know we're all on edge because of what's happened, but I think it's got to us more than we should let it. Touji, Sakura, I understand why you want to prevent Asuka and Shinji meeting right now; but you've taken it too far, keeping her out of the loop. Please ensure that she is kept fully informed about Shinji's progress; remember, she's acting as my personal representative in this situation, and I want to be able to have her perspective on things from now on.

T, S: (gulp) Yes, ma'am!

M: Anything else? No? Well, thank you all for your reports, and I'll be in touch shortly about that request. Goodbye for now.
Last edited by pwhodges on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:24 am

I think Asuka's being a bit too aggressive here. Even if she is that spiteful (and I don't think she is; there was a lot of nuance in Q that's easily missed IMO, and while her anger is palpable I don't think it's all she feels) I very much doubt she would be that unprofessional about it. A snide remark here and there, yes. But interrupting people (particularly her CO) is a bridge too far.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:29 am

You're definitely improving. This is really quite a good read. Asuka was humorous and still abusive enough. Impact boy caused me to smirk. She's sarcastic and brutal, but I don't get that she thoroughly hates him.

As far as painting a scene with the characters goes, this is by far your best.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Return to “Fanfiction”