Eva 2.0 Ending

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Zinger_Sinh
Embryo

Eva 2.0 Ending

•      
  •      

Postby Zinger_Sinh » Mon May 26, 2014 5:21 am

Can you see Unit 01 holding a core in its normal hand? But there is also a core in Zeruel and Unit 01....So who belongs to this core?
[/spoiler]
If it's not Evangelion...it's not...[Insert funny/witty text here]

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 26, 2014 8:40 am

It's presumably Unit Zero's, which Zeruel previously devoured.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 26, 2014 3:41 pm

The script and CRC confirms that it's EVA-00's core, and also where Rei's soul was just before absorbing Zeruel's remains and be absorbed by EVA-01.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 27, 2014 3:12 am

^
What was Rei's soul doing in the core?

Oh my God, did Shinji pull out Rei one?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 am

^
Well, her soul had to be stocked somewhere, somehow she ended inside EVA-00's core when Zeruel devoured the Eva, whose core was absorbed inside Zeruel's.
Then Shinji separated the two cores (with the subtlety of a jackhammer) at which point the situation reversed : EVA-00's core absorbed Zeruel's body to change shape, and then ended absorbed by EVA-01.

Which makes me wonder : why did Rei's soul ended inside her Eva core? Why didn't it simply left when her body was destroyed, like with every other souls?
Could it be an hint that Rei's soul is different, that she has Lilith's soul like in NGE and that it was attracted by the fragment inside EVA-00's core and the two fragment fused?
Or is it simply a side-effect of Zeruel's absorption ability, and had it been Asuka or Mari, their soul would had ended inside EVA-02's core?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 am

^
I personally choose the first one because it fits in with my other fragmentation theories.

What if he pulled quantum Rei/Lilith/Adam out with him? Maybe she's the one that appeared to Rei Q?

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Tue May 27, 2014 9:04 am

The 10th angel didn't just eat Unit 00; it absorbed it/merged with it. Pilot and all.

When Unit 01 beats the proverbial snot out of the angel, Shinji pretty much kills it without shattering it's core. It could eventually regenerate I suppose, but that's before Shinji rips Rei's soul from the angel's body.

What literally happens is Unit 00's core material is broken away from the angel's leaving it's core with a big chunk missing- the angel's core then shatters like any other fractured angel core; shattered angel core = no A.T. Field = angel's body reverting to primordial goop... That is, until it realises Unit 00's A.T. Field still exists.

The primordial goop returns to Unit 00's core, where it takes on the form of Rei since she and her Eva where mashed together like two pieces of chewing gum.

And Since Shinji was embracing Rei's soul within Unit 01, Unit 00/Rei merges with Unit 01- the body returns to where it's soul resides more or less.

Why that kicks off 3I I don't really get, since the Door of Guf appears before Shinji seperated Rei's soul from the angel- so Shinji started 3I on his own (they do mention in 3.33, that Shinji is a potential trigger and that it's closely linked to his mental state... Why that is though, is anyone's guess at this point).
In a world of order, chaos rules.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 27, 2014 10:44 am

^
There's this idea that Unit 01 is an Adam in this version.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 27, 2014 11:29 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Which makes me wonder : why did Rei's soul ended inside her Eva core? Why didn't it simply left when her body was destroyed, like with every other souls?
Could it be an hint that Rei's soul is different, that she has Lilith's soul like in NGE and that it was attracted by the fragment inside EVA-00's core and the two fragment fused?
Or is it simply a side-effect of Zeruel's absorption ability, and had it been Asuka or Mari, their soul would had ended inside EVA-02's core?

In order to synchronize with an Eva, a pilot gets in the Entry Plug and is inserted into the spine of the Eva to complete the connection and power the Eva; in both the series and films, there's some vague mentions of plug depth and submersion levels, but the Entry Plug is also plugged into the Eva's core to connect with the resident soul. Synchronization is essentially fine tuning the soul of the Eva with the pilot's to get better coordination, but it could be said that the two souls are actually merging to an extent, in a sort of mini-instrumentality between only two souls. That is why the 400% sync in ep19 was so dangerous; the two souls were in such harmony that they actually became indistinguishable from each other, and Shinji almost become permanently absorbed within the Eva. In 2.0, when Mari activated ZA BEASTO, she mentions something about disregarding the risks associated with the extreme plug submersion too.

So, basically, the tl;dr of what I'm saying is that it really isn't that unusual that Rei was inside Unit-00's core, since being absorbed is already an established risk associated with synchronization anyways.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:21 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
Well, her soul had to be stocked somewhere, somehow she ended inside EVA-00's core when Zeruel devoured the Eva, whose core was absorbed inside Zeruel's.
Then Shinji separated the two cores (with the subtlety of a jackhammer) at which point the situation reversed : EVA-00's core absorbed Zeruel's body to change shape, and then ended absorbed by EVA-01.

Which makes me wonder : why did Rei's soul ended inside her Eva core? Why didn't it simply left when her body was destroyed, like with every other souls?

Sometimes the answer is just symbolism. Easier. :lol:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 27, 2014 10:53 pm

You know what's weird? How fast Unit 01 ascended compared to EoE. It was like a huge fucking process in EoE but in here it's like BLAM! there it is. Why couldn't you have done that in EoE Anno? We could have had more awesome Instrumentality scenes.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 28, 2014 3:21 am

^
My guess was that it was quick because it was meant to be stopped just after the credits, so no need to make it last 15 minutes like in EoE, besides between the end of 2.0 and the stinger it's implied that a few more minutes have passed (it's night while it was still dusk when N3I started)

I'm sure that if there's some more awakening and Instrumentality is set to motion and this time succeed in activating, we'll get our big awesome and mindscrewy 15 minutes long scene.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 28, 2014 7:59 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote: It was like a huge fucking process in EoE

The "huge fuckibng process" was necessary for a controlled outcome. Here, chaotic anscension/crystallization ensues, and Shinji is not in charge, or even aware it's happening.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 28, 2014 8:54 am

^
Take in account that it was as quick for EVA-13's Fourth Impact, which was controlled, so the most probable is that in Rebuild the ascension is just quicker.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:32 am

Take in account that it was as quick for EVA-13's Fourth Impact, which was controlled, so the most probable is that in Rebuild the ascension is just quicker.

But the remains of a previous apocalypse where in place.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 am

^
We're just talking about the Eva ascending (ie Awakening) here, not all the terramorphing/Instrumentality thing around.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 am

Third Impact and the awakening in EoE was a long process because it needed to be. After an entire series of hyping up the devastation Third Impact would be, it would be a shame if they brushed over it quickly when it finally happens. Third Impact is the punch line we were waiting for all series; the one thing everybody had been sacrificing so much for in order to prevent was now happening. And the greatest thing was, once started, nobody could stop it! All they could do was helplessly watch as the Unit-01, the Eva series, and Lilith/Adam rise to the sky to complete the ritual. Because of all this, Third Impact was one of the most shocking and interesting visuals of the film.

There's no need for same build-up in Rebuild; in EoE, Third Impact and the ascension was a huge process because it was the climax of the entire series! For Rebuild, Impacts aren't so heavy in their importance, and are more like stepping stones to get to the next stage of the plan, whatever that may be.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 am

We're just talking about the Eva ascending (ie Awakening) here, not all the terramorphing/Instrumentality thing around.

What I mean is that for the Eva to awaken you need all that stuff around. In EoE the LoL is on the Moon, there are no Angels around, Lilith is still "sleeping". In 3.0 Eva-13 just needs to to go to Central Dogma and we have two lances, an "awakened Lilith" and an Angel, all that mixed together. It's like a bomb that could explode any moment.

Of course the real world/artistic explanation is what Sachi mentioned. But it doesn't seem dumb because I guess there is a reason it's shorter in Rebuild. Also in EoE we had Instrumentality scenes (before Lilith's Anti-AT Field) and more characters reacting and Fuyutsuki saying stuff.

FINAL IMPACT will be a sight to behold.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 28, 2014 3:23 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:There's no need for same build-up in Rebuild; in EoE, Third Impact and the ascension was a huge process because it was the climax of the entire series! For Rebuild, Impacts aren't so heavy in their importance, and are more like stepping stones to get to the next stage of the plan, whatever that may be.

I agree on your former point, but I think they were shorter not because of lesser importance, but for schock value.

We do get enough visual spectacle any way. Personally, I found the ruined city and everything breaking appart during 4I quite impressive.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:30 pm

^ I love the color red, so I loved N3I. The 4I rainbow was beautiful too. I think my eyes will implode with Final Impact. Would love to see it at a cinema.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”