How does Shinji manage to lift Asuka off the ground?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DocAzure
Embryo

How does Shinji manage to lift Asuka off the ground?

•      
  •      

Postby DocAzure » Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 pm

So, I was doing a bunch of music based AMV stuff for End of Evangelion, and I was looking over the scene that starts everything, where Shinji starts strangling Asuka in his rage. One thing I noticed though is the strange amount of strength Shinji seems to posses here.

I mean, he manages to lift her almost completely off the ground, while standing straight, holding her only by her neck. Now, I know Asuka is a young girl, but still, she appears to go completely limp, which would just make her a dead weight, and also Shinji, from what we've seen, doesn't appear to the the most muscular. So, how exactly could he manage this?

Also, I know there's going to be the likely answer of "it's all in his head", but still, why would he see himself in his head as possessing enough strength to lift her? Surely someone with such awful self-esteem as Shinji had at that time wouldn't see themselves with any qualities such as strength in their mind.

I suppose you could also just chalk it up to dramatic effect without explanation, and I guess we have to, and leave the rest to fanwank.

Regardless, thanks for reading.
Vanguard, a fiction set in the Evangelion world.
post/738119/Vanguard-CH2-UP/

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 23, 2014 10:05 pm

:rofl: It's funny you should mention that, I was just wondering about it yesterday after watching an AMV as well.

He might just be that strong to be honest, I mean he does hit pretty hard for a guy that doesn't hit the gym. Also Asuka might be really light, plus Shinji was using both hands, if it were one hand I would definitely be questioning it.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri May 23, 2014 10:06 pm

That scene was about emotion and catharsis. It was never about realism.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 pm

I would argue that the adrenal rush from rage (not just anger, but the kind of rage that comes with a desire for violence) can factor into this. He didn't completely lift her off the ground, but what he did was certainly within the realm of possibility for someone who wanted to kill.

It's impressive what a truly pissed off person can do.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 23, 2014 10:43 pm

You answered your own question. It's not real. He believes he can, so he does. Or he forgets that he can't. Take your pick.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 24, 2014 12:11 am

It's in his head. Also, assuming that Shinji isn't a total weakling, he could lift a girl with Asuka's build off the ground.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 24, 2014 12:25 am

Correction: It's in her head. The kitchen is Asuka's personal hell.

Realistically, forcing her up onto her toes like that may be possible but lifting her is not. The muscles that lift the arms straight up are not capable of supporting that kind of weight. Not on a fourteen year old boy who hasn't finished puberty, anyway.

Lifting somebody straight up in the air by the neck requires extreme physical strength and is not as easy as it's often depicted to be in entertainment. Go grab an 80 lb dumbbell and do a front raise with it and you'll see what I mean.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 24, 2014 1:07 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Correction: It's in her head. The kitchen is Asuka's personal hell.
You could say it's Shinji's head -- it's just that everyone else is using it at the time.

Like all the twisted replays in complementation, that scene is metaphor made explicit. In the original, he made it clear to her that Kaji was dead, whereupon she wandered off to later be found in the process of suicide. Here the metaphorical slaying becomes actual and immediate.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat May 24, 2014 1:58 am

Asuka can't weigh much though, honestly. Short and scrawny as she is I'd be suprised if she was more than 80 lbs.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat May 24, 2014 2:18 am

I would assume with his legs and arms. :lol:

Nah but srs she's like 4"10' and skinny as bollocks.
Leave Shinji alone

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 24, 2014 2:36 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Asuka can't weigh much though, honestly. Short and scrawny as she is I'd be suprised if she was more than 80 lbs.

That's a lot to lift that way. If Shinji were using his upper pectorals and shoulder musculature in a proper pressing motion, yes, maybe, but with his arms locked like that? Puts all the tension on the deltoids, mostly on the anterior. Those muscles are comparatively weak with working on their own. They're meant to be part of a compound movement.
the prophecy is true

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat May 24, 2014 3:21 am

I'll agree that the posture makes it far less believable, but with a different stance I think it would be quite reasonable for Shinji to lift Asuka by the neck. And vice-versa.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 24, 2014 9:42 am

I don't know that he has the grip strength to hold her up that long. How much does Shinji deadlift?
the prophecy is true

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat May 24, 2014 11:34 am

Watched the scene again. Based on the way Shinji is standing (which can put more of the back muscles into use), and the fact that Asuka's toes never actually leave the floor (which still can take a lot of the weight off of the arms until she's actually cleared the floor), I would argue that what Shinji is doing is possible even for a scrawny fourteen year old. Combined, of course, with adrenaline. As I argue before, being that angry does make temporary feats of strength very plausible.

Then again, of course...this is a scene in the mindscape.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat May 24, 2014 10:21 pm

Headspace, or simply adrenaline.

There's a fraction of your streght that you only have acess to when you're really pissed - that is why electrocuted people are often flung across rooms from their own muscles concracting, and mothers can push cars off their babies.

Asuka isn't particularly heavy, either.

In any case, Shinji's pose is probably more designed to evoke a sense of feral vilence/creep out the audience than realistic physics.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat May 24, 2014 11:12 pm

That's true, but a 'feral' pose is often one that is instinctive and reactive. As a result, it is one that tends to be better suited for physically strenuous 'fight or flight' activities.

Like strangling someone, for instance.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm

"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed May 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Shinji is a 14 year old boy. He is stronger than he looks. Posture aside, its totally possible for him to lift Asuka.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Wed May 28, 2014 9:57 pm

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:Shinji is a 14 year old boy. He is stronger than he looks. Posture aside, its totally possible for him to lift Asuka.

He's not exactly a shining example of of strength either, though I suppose murderous rage could supplement those noodlely arms of his. Asuka weighing around 80lbs soaking wet would help matters. Probably.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 29, 2014 12:20 am

Just as a note, it looks like piloting an Evangelion might be sort of strenuous. A lot of the time, it really looks like the pilots are using all of their strength to move those levers.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”