Flood Maps, or an easy way to have a look at post 2I Earth

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Flood Maps, or an easy way to have a look at post 2I Earth

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 09, 2014 7:59 am

Hello everyone, I just found on the vast seas that makes the Internet an interactive map of how the raising seas would affect the planet's landcape :
http://flood.firetree.net/

Very practical for those who want to have an idea of what the post-2I world would looks like, be it just for personal curiosity or to make a fanfiction involving other places than Tokyo-3 : the maximum sea rise level of 60 meters (216 feet) is the case were all the land ice of the world melted, meaning both the Arctic and Antarctic. And even then Japan wouldn't be as affected as I thought. Since in Evangelion only the Antarctic ice melted, and it contained 4/5 of the world's ice, a good setting to have an accurate vision of post-2I Earth would be around +40 meters, and even then, the area most touched is Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka, who ends under sea level.

Here's another map from the National Geographic, which is not interactive (the only level is +60m) but with text :
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri May 16, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri May 09, 2014 11:04 am

That is very interesting to see, thanks for the share!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 am

Hah, I finally got that comment about North Germany being gone
Japan does incredibly well on a situation like this, it loses some important cities but the territory loss is smaller than one would guess

The one who takes one of the hardest hit is Mari's homeland in my opinion. Most of the important British/Irish cities are gone even on a 30m rise, if 2I is around 40-60m things only tend to get worse.
There aren't that many places for one to be born there, haha, out of the 10 largest cities only Birmingham is not flooded. Oxford also seems to be on a quite safe position, and I do remember a comment about Mari being raised in an academic background.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:19 pm

View Original Postartesox wrote:Hah, I finally got that comment about North Germany being gone
Japan does incredibly well on a situation like this, it loses some important cities but the territory loss is smaller than one would guess

The one who takes one of the hardest hit is Mari's homeland in my opinion. Most of the important British/Irish cities are gone even on a 30m rise, if 2I is around 40-60m things only tend to get worse.
There aren't that many places for one to be born there, haha, out of the 10 largest cities only Birmingham is not flooded. Oxford also seems to be on a quite safe position, and I do remember a comment about Mari being raised in an academic background.

I also think Mari is probably from Oxford, or at least somewhere in the south-east corner of England. I wouldn't be surprised if Oxford became a temporary location for the British Parliament if 2I happened - besides, a shit-ton of MPs would be well-acquainted with the city. The West Midlands might experience rapid economic growth because it managed to stay unflooded, but I wonder if that will be (at the very least) negated by the loss of the massive financial hub that is the City of London (no matter how ill-gotten their billions of pounds sterling may be).

Personally I don't believe that the entire Antarctic ice sheet would have melted in 2I, just the majority of it, resulting in sea levels rising by 30-40m.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 09, 2014 1:04 pm

The ones who would get it worse is undoubtedly China, which lost most of its east coast (Shanghai and Guangzhou disappear, Beijin ends as a littoral city), the USA, who lost most of their East Coast and Gulf of Mexico littoral and half of Florida (Boston, Miami, New Orleans and Houston are a memory, NY is half under the sea), and even worst are the Netherlands and Bangladesh, which ends purely and simply wiped out the map.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri May 09, 2014 1:19 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Personally I don't believe that the entire Antarctic ice sheet would have melted in 2I, just the majority of it, resulting in sea levels rising by 30-40m.

The entire continent was blown to pieces. In Rebuild there's even a giant crater.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 09, 2014 1:25 pm

It wouldn't have to melt. It would displace the same amount of water as floating ice chunks.

Then again, an explosion big enough to destroy an entire continent, like blow a hole in the planet, should be an extinction level event anyway.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Nothing says that the continent blew up, we never see post-2I Antarctic in NGE and in Rebuild it's hidden by the gigantic Door of Guf, even though you can see patches of land stretching beyond the limits of the vortex.

And as Chuckman said, an explosion that could transform an entire continent into a crater would had made the rest of the world extinct, or at least all the dust leveled would had obscured the sky and brought an new Ice Age.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 am

I'm sorry but I refuse to recognize as valid any version of Second Impact that leaves not Denmark completely submerged...
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon May 12, 2014 1:25 pm

^
:lol: You have something against Denmark?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 pm

You live in Denmark Lavinius?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 15, 2014 1:39 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Nothing says that the continent blew up, we never see post-2I Antarctic in NGE and in Rebuild it's hidden by the gigantic Door of Guf, even though you can see patches of land stretching beyond the limits of the vortex.

And as Chuckman said, an explosion that could transform an entire continent into a crater would had made the rest of the world extinct, or at least all the dust leveled would had obscured the sky and brought an new Ice Age.

Not exactly the dust and debris would likely have been sucked in to the doors of guf

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Nothing says that the continent blew up, we never see post-2I Antarctic in NGE and in Rebuild it's hidden by the gigantic Door of Guf, even though you can see patches of land stretching beyond the limits of the vortex.

I never knew about the Door of Guf extending over Antarctica.

Also, I agree that the obliteration of Antarctica would be unlikely, especially if humanity survives it.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:I never knew about the Door of Guf extending over Antarctica.

Also, I agree that the obliteration of Antarctica would be unlikely, especially if humanity survives it.

It's kinda obvious  SPOILER: Show

The Antarctic landmass is clearly visible at the right. You can even tell that the vortex is not centered on the South Pole.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:The Antarctic landmass is clearly visible at the right. You can even tell that the vortex is not centered on the South Pole.

Uh... yes it is. The geographic south pole anyway, not the magnetic south pole.

I think you're only seeing the one edge and mistaking that for the whole thing... antarctic coastline is visible to the left of the epicenter as well, within the red area.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu May 15, 2014 5:12 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Uh... yes it is. The geographic south pole anyway, not the magnetic south pole.

It's centered on neither. The magnetic pole is on the other side of the geographic, relative to the vortex.

I think you're only seeing the one edge and mistaking that for the whole thing... antarctic coastline is visible to the left of the epicenter as well, within the red area.

I saw that.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 15, 2014 5:44 pm

This is pretty far from exacting standards, but this should be good enough to serve my purposes

Any questions?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri May 16, 2014 6:43 am

So it is off-center, just not as much as I thought. Thanks for clearing that up.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 am

^
Quite the contrary actually : the center of the vortex is located on the Amundsen–Scott research station, which is located on the Geographic South Pole, the southernmost place on Earth.
I also noticed that the vortex stops exactly at the Antarctic Circle 66° 34'S.
Which means that the 2I vortex is approximatively 5000km of diameter... and that pussy 20km wide N3I vortex is supposed to have been more destructive!? :huh:

That location also raises a lot of questions : assuming that the center is the place where the four ADAMs were frozen, and thus where the Katsuragi Expedition had its base, then Dr Katsuragi was really unconscious to bring his daughter in that place which is of the most dangerous on Earth, and more importantly, the base is situated at a good 1500 km of the nearest coastline, how the fuck Misato and her emergency escape pod ended in the sea!?

The only explanation I could think of is that the ADAMs were located near the coastline, and that the vortex opened not above them, but above the White Moon, which is located under the Amundsen–Scott research station. (which could be a cover for SEELE's operations)

Holy crap that just made a big theory form in my head, gotta post it now!

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 am

First of all, I had no idea what the Door of Guf was supposed to look like. :lol:

I wonder what could have caused that vortex to be centred at the South Pole. Maybe the Adams were at opposite edges of Antarctica?

Also, my headcanon likes to imagine that N3I had a knock-on effect on crops across east Asia. It might explain why it's so barren and why N3I had such a far-reaching effect.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”