Asuka's issues

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
sulla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sulla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:35 pm

I frankly see attitudes towards characters that is enabling.

There is no excuse to verbal abuse and bully people. If someone has personality disorder issues, they have to keep it under control. These people can keep it under control, they just often look for the right targets to emotional discharge against. Also not holding people to moral standards means they become more insane over time.
desu

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:39 pm

^

That is a really erroneous understanding of how mental disorders and personality disorders work.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

sulla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sulla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:46 pm

. I know a lot about personality disorders from real life experience. There is too much enabling and sympathy for people who lash out and abuse. I know for a far a lot of cluster B types have a lot of self control. They are often very good at putting on a public face, they often save their emotional discharging for the spouses.

I had forgotten Asuka had just abandoned someone at a date. That is a sign of a sociopath to me.
desu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:51 pm

View Original Postsulla wrote:I had forgotten Asuka had just abandoned someone at a date. That is a sign of a sociopath to me.

Are you freakin' serious!?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:56 pm

I have a feeling this "date" was someone doing Hikari a favor and was really awkward and uncomfortable and the apparently grown ass man doing the dating probably wasn't all that interested in her.

Otherwise there's college students chatting up Hikari trying to get ins with thirteen year old middle school students, and I'm like what the fuck bro.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:06 pm

View Original Postsulla wrote: I know for a far a lot of cluster B types have a lot of self control. They are often very good at putting on a public face, they often save their emotional discharging for the spouses.

Except those things do not actully require the same skill set.

Having empathy and understanding =/= saying it's right.
IT's not like there's a dichotomy between deeming someone completely right or completely irredeemable. You can see that someone did something wrong, but still understand why they did it, and there are various degrees of wrong, and various degrees of understandable.
I'm the last person to deny that Asuka is pretty nasty to those around them.
Of course such a spouse shouldn't be surprised when they get deservedly dumped, but that doesn't mean we can judge them the same way as someone who knew how to handle it better and go all, "fuck you, it's you own fault, deal with your own shit" is just... it's not her fucking fault!

This is not how civilization works.

View Original Postsulla wrote:I had forgotten Asuka had just abandoned someone at a date. That is a sign of a sociopath to me.

Dafuq?!

Asuka is surely mean by teenager/classroom standards, but you've got to keep scale in your head, it's not like she grabbed a riffle and murdered people.

Lots of people dump their dates, maybe they just didn't like the date... Sure there are better ways of doing that, (She could've explained herself, for starters, and not leave the dude waiing there ), but there's a looong, looong way between "mean teenage girl (who is going through a hard time in her life)" and "crazy sociopath".

Like agreeing to meet some dude she didn't even know before at an amusement park is such a big commitment.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Kendrix hits this on the head: empathy for a person is not excusing their behavior. Asuka is a bully, and we understand why she is a bully: this does not mean we are supporting her in bullying people.

Not showing up for a date is not a sign of sociopathic behavior, and it is especially a bizarre conclusion to make her as Asuka shows no signs of being a psychopath.

Hell, Rei is closer to being a psychopath than Asuka, and she is still MILES from being anywhere in that sort of categorization.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

sulla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sulla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Except those things do not actully require the same skill set.

Having empathy and understanding =/= saying it's right.
IT's not like there's a dichotomy between deeming someone completely right or completely irredeemable. You can see that someone did something wrong, but still understand why they did it, and there are various degrees of wrong, and various degrees of understandable.
I'm the last person to deny that Asuka is pretty nasty to those around them.
Of course such a spouse shouldn't be surprised when they get deservedly dumped, but that doesn't mean we can judge them the same way as someone who knew how to handle it better and go all, "fuck you, it's you own fault, deal with your own shit" is just... it's not her fucking fault!

This is not how civilization works.

Dafuq?!

Asuka is surely mean by teenager/classroom standards, but you've got to keep scale in your head, it's not like she grabbed a riffle and murdered people.

Lots of people dump their dates, maybe they just didn't like the date... Sure there are better ways of doing that, (She could've explained herself, for starters, and not leave the dude waiing there ), but there's a looong, looong way between "mean teenage girl (who is going through a hard time in her life)" and "crazy sociopath".

Like agreeing to meet some dude she didn't even know before at an amusement park is such a big commitment.

Just ditching someone like that is a bad sign. When I was a teenager I would of never treated someone like that.

Lots of people dump their dates? That means lots of people are anti social and gormless.
desu

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

^

You must have the rarest and most well-behaved of teenagers, because that's pretty common teenage behavior.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

sulla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sulla » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Common teenage behaviour where?

Maybe you are right. If it is common teenage behaviour doesn't say much for out society.
desu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:03 pm

View Original Postsulla wrote: When I was a teenager I would of never treated someone like that.

...."unless they deserved it", right?

It's mean, we get that, but how more disproportionate can you get

"that person is totally right and everyone wronged by her deserved what they got"
=/= "That person obviously doesn't know how to treat people right. Someone should teach her and help her get over the underlying issues"
=/= "Her own fault for being such a bitch, she deserves only contempt"

It's called being immature.
Especially with a dramatic and temperamental person like Asuka.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Again, sulla...common frigging teenage behavior. It is not societal, it is biological: teenagers do not have the physical ability to comprehend consequence due to the nature of their internal brain chemistry, nor will they be able to until their brains complete development at roughly 25 years of age.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Hm. That's perhaps an overstatement, this is a tendency, but we have the ocassional exemplary example to show that we are not monkeys anymore/slaves to ou 'programming'.

Still, "children these days..." is so worn a hat...

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
— Plato

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
- Some medieval hermit dude
Last edited by Kendrix on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 pm

In a lot of ways, we are very much unable to break away from our basic core programming, especially in our developmental stages.

Now, a teenager can have a logical understanding of consequence, and allow that to define their actions. At the same time, they also have an inability to understand the long-term ramifications of those actions. It's why teenagers are more likely to take part in risk-taking behavior than older individuals. That's just numbers talking there.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:26 pm

That's not untrue, but there's a difference between "statistically more likely" and "guaranteed to."

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying guaranteed: I was saying that a teenager ditching a date or engaging in otherwise un-empathetic behavior is not immediately indicative of psychopathic tendencies, due to the prevalence of such behaviors across the teenage age group for statistically, biologically, and psychologically recognized reasons.

It's not "children these days" it's "children have always been like this."
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Okay, then we agree.

In any case, calling someone a sociopath for that is pretty disproportionate.

Asuka needs to grow up and recieve some support, not to get her face bashed in or left alone to rot.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah...Asuka has a lot of problems, but psychopathic tendencies are not among them.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:53 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Yeah...Asuka has a lot of problems, but psychopathic tendencies are not among them.

Except when it comes to attacking creatures smaller than herself, like them innocent Shinjis or the psychotic episodes that cause her get super angry and rip shit apart.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Hey, now: homicidal tendencies, we're still on the fence about!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”