FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Hah! Fair point. I guess they could go either way after all.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:47 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I like your concept of the FAR and multiverse, amitakartok.

Well, that about gives the gist of it.

As non-interfering as they are, though, there is one thing that will immediately incur their not-quite-divine intervention: messing with time. The FAR themselves perceive time nonlinearly: if you get introduced to one, then travel back in time a billion years and run into the same FAR, it will recognize you as if the two of you had just met. And since they exist outside normal time and space, they have ripple effect proof memory as well, so alterations to the timeline do not affect them.

With that said, the universes they create still operate on conventional causality. Merely traveling back in time is already frowned upon as it is, but actually making an alteration that violates the Novikov self-consistency principle and thus creates a temporal paradox will cause the universe to contradict itself and basically experience a massive kernel fault that destroys all of existence. Naturally, with all the effort laid into the whole universal experiment thing, the FAR cannot allow such a fuckup to happen because it would ruin the experiment.

When Leliel devises and executes a time travel plot at one point, she only gets away with it because she set up a causal loop (ie. predestination paradox) to keep the timeline self-consistent. Even so, she was really pushing it and the others warned her not to try that again, or there will be consequences. When an Angel subsequently tries to make a non-consistent alteration, the FAR erase the offender from existence and resolve the paradox by making a duplicate universe, "rewinding" it back in time to the divergence point and applying the change only to this duplicate, thus turning traveling back in time into traveling to a parallel universe slightly (~28 years) lagging behind the original in terms of local time.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

DaddyFuyutsuki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DaddyFuyutsuki » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:34 pm

View Original PostGlor wrote:Any stories that follow Gendo or Yui before Second Impact? I know there is Reichu's Crying Man fic, but is there anything with Gendo/Yui as the protags, or at the very least, the main POV?

This is probably really late but I think I found exactly what you're looking for! It's a little gem I discovered in some archive during the summer. I really can't find the words to describe how good it is! Yui, Gendo and Fuyutsuki are 100% in character, it's fluid and interesting and the character development is really well written. Such a fun and good read with a bit of drama and emotion! :D

Here's the link: http://archives.eyrie.org/anime/Evangelion/eva.pages.gz

(If it asks you to download it, just do it then drag+drop in a Chrome window. I also know that the link works fine on iPhones. ) Enjoy!

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:22 pm

^Wow, awesome find. Scrolling through now - thanks!
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:04 pm

That does look decent. I remember the author from many a quality Ranma 1/2 fic years ago.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:14 am

Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:When Leliel devises and executes a time travel plot at one point, she only gets away with it because she set up a causal loop (ie. predestination paradox) to keep the timeline self-consistent. Even so, she was really pushing it and the others warned her not to try that again, or there will be consequences.

Wouldn't they have already known she'd do it before she did it? Or is there some extra layer of time that flows normally for the FAR that they exist in, rather than seeing each other's futures? In which case what guarantee is there that they're at the top of that food chain and there isn't another extra layer of time on top of that with even higher beings watching the FAR perform their experiments as an experiment?

View Original PostNemZ wrote:That does look decent.

Conveniently paginated too, which is not something I've seen before in a fanfic. Might make for an awkward flow compared to an actual book, though -- I wonder.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:40 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Wouldn't they have already known she'd do it before she did it? Or is there some extra layer of time that flows normally for the FAR that they exist in, rather than seeing each other's futures?

The FAR cannot actually see the future. Or rather, their past selves can see up until the present, but none can see beyond the present because the future doesn't technically exist yet.

The best way I can explain it is that there is both an absolute present and a relative present. The relative present is what you are observing at all times (so every intelligent lifeform has their own relative present) and time travel affects this one. The absolute present is the point in time beyond which the future doesn't exist yet. The FAR exist in the absolute present, so they can observe everything that happened up to that point, but no further.

It's like when you're streaming a video from the net: as you are watching the video, your brain remembers what it has seen and you can rewind or fast-forward to any point that already finished buffering and continue watching from there without affecting your memory, but you can't watch the parts that haven't been downloaded yet because they don't physically exist on your hard drive/memory yet.

For entities that exist in sync with time like humans, precognition and future-sight is possible, but only up until the absolute present. The absolute present's current position relative to the relative present cannot be determined, though, because it's not constant (mathematically, time is an open interval with a constantly moving upper limit) and non-FAR future sight is not that accurate.

In which case what guarantee is there that they're at the top of that food chain and there isn't another extra layer of time on top of that with even higher beings watching the FAR perform their experiments as an experiment?

Hoooo~, interesting idea. :devil:

I think I'll leave that one up to the readers' imagination.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:31 am

I found the fic I was looking for a few pages ago (where Gendo went into the eva instead of Yui) - Scenario no Yui. My recollection that it had been on hiatus for a year was sadly mistaken, however - it's been on ice for 8 years and will almost certainly never be worked on again. It's too bad, because it was a good fic. Such is fanfiction.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:37 am

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:I found the fic I was looking for a few pages ago (where Gendo went into the eva instead of Yui) - Scenario no Yui. My recollection that it had been on hiatus for a year was sadly mistaken, however - it's been on ice for 8 years and will almost certainly never be worked on again. It's too bad, because it was a good fic. Such is fanfiction.

Ah damn that always sucks when you come across a fic and realize it's been on hiatus for so long :(

All of the ones I'm reading at the moment seem to be active but I just have a bit of a wait between chapters.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:33 pm

... did you guys ever had a WTF moment when you read a Bible quote and realized that it describes the direction you want to take an Eva fic of yours in with scary accuracy?

I just had. And it creeps me the fuck out.

This is the quote in question, taken from the Book of Revelations:

And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Can't say I've got much in the way of knowledge of what's in the Bible so I've never been inspired by that but damn if that's the direction that's something I think I want to read.

For me it tends to be song lyrics, I listen to a lot of prog and that feeds me my inspiration so certain lyrics will just make me think of a character or situation and I'll incorporate it within the story. One of my favourite pieces was inspired by The Great Escape by Marillion.

And in keeping with the biblical theme, I've been using a bit of Supper's Ready by Genesis in the latest chapter I'm writing.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:52 pm

Take the above quote, replace the beast with Kaworu, and you've got my story with about 90% accuracy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:53 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Take the above quote, replace the beast with Kaworu, and you've got my story with about 90% accuracy.

I sure hope Kaworu will have seven heads!

...A lot of ancient folklore like what's in the Bible* is written in this vague but evocative way that invites one's imagination to elaborate. It's really no wonder that they continue to inspire as they do.

* YES I CALLED THE BIBLE "FOLKLORE" DEAL WITH IT
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:32 am

That's actually a part that won't be in my story. Kaworu growing multiple heads, I mean.

But he does get a ghastly scar across his torso, courtesy of Zeruel noticing the entry plug hatch during their second run-in and deciding to land a blow there to see what happens. This is the lethal wound referenced above: Kaworu got literally cut in half and only survived because he got tanged just as he flatlined. Thing is, nobody knew tanging was a thing, so when they scraped out what was left of the entry plug and found only a torn plugsuit and lots of blood everywhere, they wrote him off as nothing left to bury. The way he came back differs from Shinji's incident canon as well: instead of coming back out under his own will, the Eva grew a tumor-like growth from its core that was actually an amniotic sack with his replacement body inside, complete with umbilical cord and everything. He was quite literally reborn.

As for the scar, it's a case of "mental self-image shapes body". He receives multiple surgeries to clear out the scar tissue obstructing vital organs and major blood vessels, but the whole scar is too extensive to be removed via cosmetic surgery. Not to mention that it also refuses to heal despite Kaworu's enhanced healing factor, plus it inflames and bleeds on every anniversary of his death.

Absolutely nobody knows how and why it happened, only that he died and came back like some kind of present-day Jesus.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:40 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:YES I CALLED THE BIBLE "FOLKLORE" DEAL WITH IT

I didn't realize you wore a fedora
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Fedora...? What...? :???: :think: :chinscratch:
...I don't get it. :shakehead:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:01 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Fedora...? What...?

Outspoken athiests have gotten a bad rap in some parts of the internet that would rather just not talk about such issues at all (which is why I try not to make a big deal of it until somewhat pulls the god card, but then shit is officially on). How that got mingled with fedoras I'm not quite sure though. Probably generalizing from some specific guy who happened to be wearing one in a meme exploitable or something.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Fedoras tend to be the favored headgear of people with inflated opinions about things. No clue why, it just seems to be the headgear of choice among the crowd. Which sucks, because I'm a fan of the fedora, as is my wife (who owns nearly a dozen, and rocks all of them).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:35 am

I've often heard fedoras associated with MRAs, but never atheists (nor anyone else in particular).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Fanfiction”