What are some of the most done to death NGE fanfic ideas?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Executive Washington
Embryo

What are some of the most done to death NGE fanfic ideas?

•      
  •      

Postby Executive Washington » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 pm

I am an aspiring fanfic writer that wants to get my foot out the door, but I want to know something...

What are the most done to death NGE fanfic ideas ever?

I want to avoid or at least subvert cliches like the plague, so I need to know the most done to death or "dead horse" fanfic ideas.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 pm

There's a funny thing about cliches: They tend to get "overused" because they work. One man's cliche is another's favored style. NGE fandom is full of stories where Shinji or someone else gets to go back in time for another chance, for example, but lots of really popular fics are based on that idea and a whole lot of people don't really mind that it's been done thousands of times.

I don't read much fanfic though so I'm not the best person to be answering this question. :bigeyes: But it's just something I've noticed from reading other people talk about fanfics.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:44 pm

No peggy sue. Ever.
It's the laziest, dumbest plot you can write.
I don't think the concept could even work in original fiction.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:59 pm

TvTropes.org is always a good place to go to get an idea of what is done way too much (and you will spend way too much time there doing other things...).

Going with what Clover said, Peggy Sues are done in Eva a lot (travel back in time to right what's wrong). Mary Sues/Gary Stus are also present, though not as much as they used to be (introducing a new original character who begins to overshadow the canon characters).

As has the 'Shinji is a badass' story, or something along those lines (not so much a minor tweak, but a major personality revision).

With all that being said, write the story you want to write. Ask someone to beta-read it for you (for edits and critiques) before you post/publish it, and you will save yourself a significant amount of headache and heartache.

If you would like to go get some ideas to start with that are truly original, however, scrolls through the 'From Your Lips to the Authors Ears' post at the top. People are always kicking around story ideas, and some of them are very unique. Some of those ideas are open to whoever wants to grab them (being suggested by people who want a good story but don't have the time or ability to write themselves). If you see one that interests you there, contact the original poster and see if it's okay for you to give the concept a try.

I hope to see you posting stories soon!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Doublegee
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Doublegee » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Step 1) Put self in Shinji's place
Step 2) not be an indecisive loser
Step 3) Profit

Bonus points if you own a lightsaber or your parents are Fox Mulder and Lara Croft.
Bob Dole doesn't have to take this kind of crap! Bob Dole is a cyborg!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Most overdone ideas -- "let's make this story of apocalyptic engineering to fix the human condition into a teen romance, with Shinji/my favourite girl in the lead (optional Kensuke/reject girl to taste)".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:33 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Most overdone ideas -- "let's make this story of apocalyptic engineering to fix the human condition into a teen romance, with Shinji/my favourite girl in the lead (optional Kensuke/reject girl to taste)".

Kensuke/Rei 4Eva!
SPOILER: Show
The amount times that's happened scares me
To be fair the teen romance stuff could happen after a few years 3rd Impact and long sessions of therapy.

Executive Washington
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Executive Washington » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:17 pm

View Original PostDoublegee wrote:Step 1) Put self in Shinji's place
Step 2) not be an indecisive loser
Step 3) Profit.

When I first read Neon Exodus Evangelion, I thought that the author wasn't being serious and was in fact a parody fic.

But now, I'm not sure.

Executive Washington
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Executive Washington » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:18 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Kensuke/Rei 4Eva.

What if Kensuke/Asuka...

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:20 pm

There are no bad ideas, only bad writers.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 pm

View Original PostExecutive Washington wrote:What if Kensuke/Asuka...

I burn it to the fucking ground that's what :angry!!:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Off the top of my head, Shinji being transported back in time to the beginning/middle of the series following the events of EoE.

This one is so infuriatingly common, I don't even bother to read ones that have this plotline anymore.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:53 pm

The 'Shinji as a badass/confident person/not-a-sniveling-wreck' idea seems to recur a lot. For some reason it also seems to be in every bad fic I've read. Maybe there's just something too OOC about it, or just the way writers often try and force masculinity onto Shinji like a blanket of testosterone makes it difficult to reconcile the TV Shinji and Fanfic Shinji.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:56 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:There are no bad ideas, only bad writers.

Bad writers have bad ideas.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Most overdone ideas -- "let's make this story of apocalyptic engineering to fix the human condition into a teen romance, with Shinji/my favourite girl in the lead (optional Kensuke/reject girl to taste)".

And this goes right back to "One man's cliche is another man's favored formula". :heehee:

(Formula's not the right word. Genre? I think people know what I mean.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Formula is correct.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:31 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:Bad writers have bad ideas.

Even good writers can have bad ideas and bad writers can have good ideas. It's not universal.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Executive Washington
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Executive Washington » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:No peggy sue. Ever.
It's the laziest, dumbest plot you can write.

I think the only good fanfic that has this "peggy sue" plot would be Once More with a Feeling. Also, Dazed and Confused on SpaceBattles puts a nice twist on the "peggy sue" thing.

Otherwise, yeah, I can agree with you on that one.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 pm

^
"The Second Try" is very good too IMO.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:55 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:^
"The Second Try" is very good too IMO.

I personally prefer Mitigation, Unbroken, and Taking Sight.

Return to “Fanfiction”