Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

Ninja Scroll - Jūbē Ninpūchō

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm horrified to see that there's no thread about this anime movie. I saw it again today for a good 5th or 6th time since the late 90s and boy does it still kick ass! Some great quality fan service in it as well, and loads of wits in the various battles... And I just love its minimalism in a way, I love how it's just the story of one guy really, who's not trying to save the freaking world from evil. No slapstick, soppy heroism there...

Has anybody seen the anime series?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 pm

What I remember of the TV series was that it was kind of awful and failed to recapture the same vibe as the movie.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:33 pm

I love the movie and it's my favorite out of Kawajiri's. Dagger of Kamui, another of my favorites, has a strong influence on it, especially the 8 Devils of Kimon.

Have not seen the TV series yet. I'm assuming that the Ninja Resurrection OVA isn't part of this discussion.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Watched the movie in an anime class, I remember enjoying the hell out of it. Our teacher was warned us the TV series was terrible. -o-;

http://myanimelist.net/anime/617/Juubee_Ninpuuchou

And how could you go wrong with this cast (seiyuu such as Kaji/Spike, Jupiter/Presea, WAKAMOTO)?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Have not seen the TV series yet. I'm assuming that the Ninja Resurrection OVA isn't part of this discussion.

Considering that Ninja Ressurection is on the TV Tropes So Bad It's Horrible section, I should hope not.

On Topic, never actually watched Ninja Scroll. I probably should, although the sheer rapeyness does put me off. I did hear a hilarious story about some idiot buying the movie for his 10-year-old kids (despite the video rental guy's warning not to).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:20 am

From what little i saw there wasn't any rapeyness in the film aside from one short fragment of a scene where the "hero" interferes before the act starts.

On-topic: I saw a bit of the movie a long time ago. It was amazing on every aspect, the tension, the ambiance, the animation, the writing, etc. It was great, but...

Well, it was just too violent for me. I don't consider myself a particularly sensitive person but things like the rock-dude ripping off a ninja's arms (and the relatively realistic way it's played off...) were just too disturbing for me.

I guess i should give it a re-watch someday because it was a really good movie, but i fear the violence is just too much for me.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:14 am

You are up for more violence and more rapeyness, my friend. Hope it won't spoil the vision for you, it really is a deserving anime movie.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 pm

The rape scene with the tentacle demon in Kawajiri's Wicked City is worse honestly. As pointed out, the guy gets cut off.

One of my favorite scenes is when Jubei takes on the regular ninjas in the port and just leaves a body trail.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:What I remember of the TV series was that it was kind of awful and failed to recapture the same vibe as the movie.

Glad we agree!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Anime and Manga”