Next Time Preview is FAKE! (Eva 2+8 unit)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Craftee
Embryo

Next Time Preview is FAKE! (Eva 2+8 unit)

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 pm

The 4.0 trailer has to be a fake! by that I mean you wont see any of it in 4.0.
Here are my reasons why...
- Unit 2's Mechanically repaired arm is back to normal.
- Also wasn't the reason why they went with a robotic arm instead of fixing it fully, because of a lack of funds and resources?
- After sustaining that much damage, i doubt WILLE has the resources/funds to repair unit 2.0 completely.

SPOILER: Show

What do you think?
Still waiting on Evangelion Final...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 pm

I think you should review the site's rules about abusing large fonts, colored text, and using spoilers for large images. I fixed it for you this time, but please don't make a habit of it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:45 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I think you should review the site's rules about abusing large fonts, colored text, and using spoilers for large images. I fixed it for you this time, but please don't make a habit of it.

My bad, I do these on other forums often, Its a habit. ill try not to do it on future posts.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:01 pm

That’s odd that the arm is back to normal. I mean, I know that Eva 02 + 08 most likely wasn’t a finalized design for the last film itself, but even so one would think that they would just split their current Unit 02ß model and use that instead.

Oh well. The preview at the end of Q was built to be more of a teaser than anything else anyway, even more so than the other previews for NTE. It was just random fight footage with a lot of cool ideas and technical exploration in the making of it that would probably be more fully explored in the new script written during development hell anyway. Especially after the preview at the end of Ha (which may or may not be footage of the 14-year gap), I take these things as only being loose concepts and narrative markers for a much bigger story that will later be fully realized.

In short, the previews are rough ideas. I’ve never based any preconceived notions for the next episode/film/installment off of these previews, and I’m certainly not about to start now.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 pm

All right then... I'll show the newbie the ropes...

The Eva 08+2 seen after Q is indeed made out of fusing Eva 08 and what remains of Eva 02...
Its just that that the body is all of Eva 08 (hence, the "missing" mechanical arm), only the Eva 02 half head is actually from said unit... And you are right, it was easier to glue the head of Eva 02 with Eva 08 than o repair that mess...

Why they bothered in painting half Eva 08 red if only a minuscule part is from Eva 02?
Aesthetics (anime art-wise); a tribute to the fallen unit; Asuka complained about the pink unit; go you to know...

The thing is, that doesn't prove the trailer as a fake... If the scene ends up different in Final or altogether missing, then we can say it was "premature", but in no way fake...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Craftee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Craftee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:12 pm

I honestly think Hideaki Anno made the last clip just to fool around. ( nothing serious )
Just another Anno troll.

@SEELE-01 Why bother taking a jumbled half head of unit 2 and cut out a perfectly good left side of unit 8's head? And im 99.9999% sure that unit 8+2 isnt a double entry.

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:38 am

For a moment I thought there had been some kind of "leaked trailer" for FINAL, but you just mean the Next Time stinger. What a strange thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:47 am

Fixed topic title accordingly.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:20 am

The teasers in my opinion are & always have been just bullshit fan-pandering. There to make the fans happy & keep them talking as opposed to actually meaning anything. These films aren't made as one to come out week after week. They're done individually with loose outlines of what comes next & the long downtime between films allows said outline to drastically change when new ideas emerge.

But I would give the teaser at the end of 3.0 some credit. Instead of giving us a ton of little snippets of "possible scene ideas" - hello shot of Kaji with a gun thus meaning you have a bigger role in a 30 second teaser than you do in a 90 minute film - it's just a lengthy look at one possible scene. I'm pretty certain we'll get some version of what was shown in the preview in the film proper.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:07 am

^ Exactly. We’ll see stuff from FINAL when we get an actual trailer with scenes made from the production of FINAL itself, not this stuff from Q that might sorta look like FINAL.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:45 pm

I'm inclined to think that, like the previous trailers, certain aspects will make it into the story and some will not. For example, there will likely be a giant fight with redone MPEs, but it probably will not involve FrankenEva.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 am

Everyone is assuming that the FrankenEva will be constructed the old fashioned way, by human hands, but this may not necessarily be the case. Perhaps Frankie represents yet another example of Evas transforming "on the fly", a la Beast Mode, or the various forms of Mark.09. It's hard to imagine what circumstances would bring such an odd incarnation about (one Eva absorbing another?), still, with the fluid nature of the Units' appearances, we can't assume anyone builds this baby from the ground up.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 pm

I don't think they actually cobbled together two different Evas for 8+2. Unit 08 only had its hands damaged and there really wasn't much of Unit 02 left. It looks like they just repainted half of the armor and replaced part of the helmet casing, probably to placate Asuka. She asked them to do the same to Unit 03, after all :lol:

Edit: Eva 02's head and mechanical arm definitely look like stopgap repairs made on the cheap, but Wille had the resources to upgrade and re-armor both of their Evangelions, which makes me think the head and arm are deliberate upgrades instead of a quick fix.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Since the Eva 8+2 unit is the only thing from the initial/non-film footage updated previews that actually had a figure made, I think that's actually a big sign we'll be getting it in some form within FINAL.

Warren made a good point that maybe the Eva won't be made conventionally but some on-the-fly Beast Mode (which would be interesting), but considering 1.0 and 2.0 go by with no real sense of passage of time, Eva 8+2 could be already constructed or halfway there by the time Asuka and co meet up with Wille.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Yeah, I think the trailer had more symbolic meaning than anything, though I do expect a throw down with the MPE's once again.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:52 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Everyone is assuming that the FrankenEva will be constructed the old fashioned way, by human hands, but this may not necessarily be the case. Perhaps Frankie represents yet another example of Evas transforming "on the fly", a la Beast Mode, or the various forms of Mark.09. It's hard to imagine what circumstances would bring such an odd incarnation about (one Eva absorbing another?), still, with the fluid nature of the Units' appearances, we can't assume anyone builds this baby from the ground up.

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't see how the remains of Unit 02 and Unit 08 could be meaningfully hybridized, but one absorbing the other . . . yeah, that's definitely plausible. Mari pushing her Unit 08 to emulate the greatness of Unit 02? Oh hell yeah!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:40 am

Well, that's assuming that what we saw in the preview is indeed the final version of 8+2 (assuming it'll exist in the first place), it's possible that in FINAL proper it'll have a very difference appearance, less clean and more crude to show how the "fusion" was made in urgency, and also an explanation of why that thing was even necessary in the first place since EVA-08 only got superficial damages.
Maybe there'll be another battle near the beginning of the movie where Unit 08 get trashed and require to have part of EVA-02 cannibalized to repair it in time?

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Edit: Eva 02's head and mechanical arm definitely look like stopgap repairs made on the cheap, but Wille had the resources to upgrade and re-armor both of their Evangelions, which makes me think the head and arm are deliberate upgrades instead of a quick fix.

I had a personal theory about that: at first, 14 years ago, EVA-02 was indeed repaired hastily to have it ready to fight the remaining Angels, or maybe it happened just after NERV split and the just created WILLE didn't had the resources to properly repair it and resolved to use cybernetic parts. But later as WILLE stabilized and got more and more resources, they ended being able to have a gigantic fleet, a giant flying flagship and various new weapons and armors for the Evas, so repairing Unit 02 became possible, but that cyborg head apparently works as fine as the previous head, and those robot arms gives the Eva a lot of tactical versatility, so why bother? Better just upgrades the cyborg part to make them catch up with the new armors!
Besides maybe Asuka requested to have her unit stay like that: she has gone through extremely tough hardships and came out alive, stronger but scarred, so for her her Eva, which came through similarly big hardships, should also keep its battle scars. For me that feels very IC for Asuka.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:50 pm

What if the trailer that we saw of 3.0 actually occurs in 4.0? They were originally one movie so the title 3.0+1.0 just means adding to 3.0.

So the trailer we saw for 3.0 could actually be the real preview for 4.0.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:07 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:So the trailer we saw for 3.0 could actually be the real preview for 4.0.

(1) No.
(2) The trailer at the end of 2.0 is obsolete, its canonicity crushed by the film we got. The clearest example of this is preview!Eva-08 transmuting into film!Eva-13, the final Eva-08 being a run-of-the-mill (however weird-looking) production model unit.

At most, you can look at the preview and maybe get a loose sense of what happened immediately after 2.0, but it's certainly not chiseled in stone.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Behold the terrible secret of 8+2

Marisuka confirmed.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”