Which Impact event did you like more: 2.0 N3I or 3.0 N4I?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Which Impact event did you like more: 2.0 N3I or 3.0 N4I?

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:55 pm

For me, it would be N4I in 3.0.

Beethoven's 9th symphoney (my favorite version by far), the atmosphere, intensity, and Shinji experiencing it in horror was what made it my favorite key event in Q.

I really liked N31 + Tsubasa wo Kudasai from 2.0 though. A lot!

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Enjoyed both

Wonder what song will be in Final (because we gonna get another one right ? )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:12 am

Absolutely N4I. There was so much more horror of "Oh god, this is an impact", and it looked quite pretty to boot. :lol:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:26 am

N3I.

A+, would impact again.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:28 am

N4I.

N3I was too centered on Shinji rescuing Rei to make us completely concentrate on what was really happening, or even totally care.

But N4I is totally concentrated on conveying us the horror of what was happening : "It's an Impact, and we're all gonna to die!"

Plus the whole thing was far more impressive, with the instant giant vortex, Black Moon emerging from the ground and obliterating what's left of the ruins of Tokyo-3, thousands of FoIs and buildings floating everywhere... and at the same time being mindscrewy with the neo-NERV pyramid mysteriously floating(and later disappearing) above the Black Moon, like a cosy spectator of this whole madness(which is exactly what Gendo and Fuyu were!), the mysterious structure in the Chamber of Guf and the otherworldly screams/moaning, as if it was coming from the FoIs...

It's the end of the world, and it show all its horror to us in a front seat and glorious HD! And with Beethoven!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:49 am

4th impact.

It was bigger, better and it had Beethoven.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:11 am

N4I for all the reasons Mariachi described.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:47 am

N4I. Most beautiful apocalyptic event since EoE.

Four stars, would definitely order it again...but next time, hold off on the side of "fey boy's head exploding". :tongue:

I'm starting to see a pattern developing here...
Last edited by AngelNo13Bardiel on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:58 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:N4I. Most beautiful apocalyptic event since EoE.

OMFG YES. THIS.

:devil:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:38 am

The thing with NTI was, we were not supposed to get it was a worldwide catastrophe/think it was just a high budget beef up of EVA 01 doing scary shouting in ep 19.

It's quite possible (see the CR talk about "wanting to end on a positive note") that Anno & co hadn't even decided to make it a planet-wrecking event before that earthquake; So it just generally looks like fancy property damage; The BGM seems to think Rei getting hugged is more important, and since Kaworu stops it right away/ you know the world didn't end in eps 23 or 19...

And regardless of what Anno did or didn't plan, at least Gendo & Mari look fairly unconcerned, Gendo didn't expect to have to wait much longer, Fuyu didn't call him out on basically making human sacrifies of Shinji and Rei, Mari even compliments Shinji, at some point, someting must've gone waaaaaay of the rails(See ongoing speculation about everything NTI related// the various sights in NERV HQ)

If it was any more impressive, it wouldn't serve the purpose of the scene. That is, it WAS impressive, but more "awesome display of power" impressive, not "epic destruction" imressive.

For 4I, we all knew it was supposed to be an apocalypse, and they had even shinier graphix so...

Yeah, it's really well done. You see the bits and pieces of the already ruined Tokyo3 break appart some more in glorious detail, the sheer horror of this huge sphere coming out of the ground like Slan's face in berserk, and you realize how freakin huge it is, Beethoven...

There's also how overwehelmingly swift it happens. One moment Shinji pulls the spears, and the next, EVA 13 lights up, breaks upwards through the main shaft, the impact vortex spawns in a manner of seconds...

All of this happened a lot more gradually in 2.0. You recognize the phenomena, but you just stare as one happens after the other, and the next moment, Asuka is already fighting the Mk 9 and there's lots of mid-air crazyness...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:40 pm

N4I: Bigger, better, Beethoven. You've tried the rest. Now try the best. :lol:

Lumiere
Embryo

Re: Which Impact event did you like more: 2.0 N3I or 3.0 N4I

•      
  •      

Postby Lumiere » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:53 pm

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:For me, it would be N4I in 3.0.

Beethoven's 9th symphoney (my favorite version by far), the atmosphere, intensity, and Shinji experiencing it in horror was what made it my favorite key event in Q.

I really liked N31 + Tsubasa wo Kudasai from 2.0 though. A lot!

this
Ramiel yells too much.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:56 pm

The one thing that's always struck me about N4I is the fact that, apart from the giant mushroom, nothing seems to have happened. N3I led to 3I, which wrecked the planet. N4I appears to have done pretty much bupkiss. So I'm left with one Impact that got the job done and another that's all flash and no substance. Gotta break with the pack here and vote N3I.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:So I'm left with one Impact that got the job done

Well, that does rather depend on what the job really is!

But I'm also voting for N3I, on the basis of the surprise element. By the end of Q, impacts are, as it were, two a penny - however fun they may be.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 pm

While I love everything about the ending of 2.0, if we're gonna go with an Impact as a sheer spectacle of sight and sound, I gotta say that 3.0 had the better Impact. And, while I agree that the Beethoven definitely made everything better, let's not forget the awesomeness that is "The Wrath of God in All It's Fury".

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 pm

N3I by far. It came as a surprise, and music... oh god that music... fantastic. Just fantastic. And it wasn't as overblown as N4I.

That being said, N4I is still awesome. I think it just went on a bit too long and was mostly there to give an awesome backdrop for the finale.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 pm

N3I.

Since I know where the music was originally used, it felt out of place in 3.0. It could very well have come earlier and worked fine.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:28 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:N3I.

Since I know where the music was originally used, it felt out of place in 3.0.

I disagree, i felt the music worked effectively as an icing on the cake in order to convey N4I's atmosphere so well.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:45 am

Which music you're talking about : "Beethoven 9th" or "The Wrath of God in all It's Fury"?
Because in Rebuild Beethoven 9th is more SEELE's leitmotiv than Kaworu's, there's even a line of the song engraved in their logo!

Under that light the Beethoven song when Fourth Impact is starting is very fitting.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:56 pm

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:I disagree, i felt the music worked effectively as an icing on the cake in order to convey N4I's atmosphere so well.

I always associate the music with a fight between Eva's, not an impact. That's why I think it could have worked a bit earlier, and run long enough to the point where Kaworu gets beheaded... both times.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”