3.0 - Fushigi no Umi no Nadia: Connections & Implication

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Electreel
Embryo

3.0 - Fushigi no Umi no Nadia: Connections & Implication

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:27 am

WARNING: HEAVY SPOILERS AHEAD, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

After having piqued my curiosity for quite some time, I finally decided to watch Fushigi no Umi no Nadiaa couple of months ago. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it (except for the horrendous “Island ark”). However, little did I know that this series would allow me to have a much finer understanding of Evangelion 3.0

For those not familiar with it, Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (or Nadia and the Secret of the Blue-Water) is an anime series that was directed by Hideaki Anno prior to Neon Genesis Evangelion, heavily inspired by Jules Verne's 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and other animated series such as Uchū Senkan Yamato. The story is set in the year 1889, and it revolves around two main characters (Nadia la Arwall and Jean Raltique) and other minor characters as they join the crew of the Nautilus submarine, under the command of the Captain Nemo. They are devoted to fight the Neo-Atlanteans, an ever growing secret nation lead by Nemo's antagonist, Gargoyle, who plans on taking over the world using the technology left by the Atlanteans, an ancient, highly advanced race of human-looking extraterrestrials that visited the Earth millions of years ago.

Fushigi no Umi no Nadia can be seen as a "forerunner" of Neon Genesis Evangelion, as it cultivates most of the thematic lines, character design and development, and concepts (such as the primordial alien race, giant humanoid beings, giant mechas, soul complementation etc.) that would later be used in it. Check this: http://www.thesecretofbluewater.com/nadieva-i.htm and this: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Gainax:_Evange ... References for more information about this.

However, apart from those references, which consequently apply to the Rebuild series as well, I was surprised to discover that there are a myriad of remarkable connections that are unique to 3.0.

1. Soundtrack:

The most blatant connection is the re-use of at least three pieces from Nadia's soundtrack composed by Shiro Sagisu in 3.0:

Babel No Hikari -----------> God's Message
Bannou Senkan N Nautilus Go -----------> The Anthem
Kishikaysei -----------> Dark Defender

2. Characters:

Misato fills the same role as Nemo: They share the same authoritarian and apparently insensitive demeanor. They both seek complete their mission no matter what or who is lost in the way. Their appearance is also quite similar.
SPOILER: Show

-Ritsuko fills the same role as Electra. Their appearance is very similar.
-Some members of Wunder's crew slightly recall those from the Nautilus.
-Wunder's helmsman Sumire Nagara and Nadia share a similar character design:

3. AAA Wunder and Nautilus analogy:

The Nautilus and the Neo Nautilus are actually starships built by the Atlanteans, later used by the crew under the command of captain Nemo to fight against the Neo-Atlanteans. They possess a very powerful “particle annihilation engine”
The AAA Wunder is an airborne ship. It is stated that the Wunder was not entirely manufactured by humans, indicating that it was most likely created by the First Ancestral Race or their Rebuild's analogue. The Wunder is used by Wille to fight against New-Nerv and Seele, and it is powered by Eva 01.

Wunder's appearance resembles that of the Neo Nautilus:

The launch scenes are similar as well: both of them remain still as their enemies surround them, waiting for their main engine to start. They finally launch upwards with an enormous blast and destroy the enemy using their turrets.

Wunder's lower bridge also looks like the original Nautilus' one:

4. Noahs and Moons analogy:

The Noahs are immense, saucer-shaped “satellite cities” constructed by the Atlanteans. They were used as arks during the Great Flood, and during a war between the Atlanteans, they fell to Earth. One of them became the city of Atlantis, the Red Noah became a sort of wandering island, and above the Blue Noah, which crashed in central Africa, the city of Tartessos was built. Tartessos suffered a fate similar to that of Tokyo-3 - most of its inhabitants died, victim of the Babel Tower's outburst and the subsequent flood, and those who survived gathered into two rival groups: Neo-Atlantis and the Nautilus crew. The Red Noah contains the gigantic “first human”, Adam, as well as various large-sized mechas and dozens of spaceships. The Noahs represent, therefore, a loose analogue of the Moons of the SoL.

5. Blue-Water and Key of Nebuchadnezzar analogy:

The Blue-Water stones are devices of immense power that contain the souls of dead Atlanteans. They are needed by Gargoyle to fulfill his plan of world domination and resurgence of the Atlantean empire.
Little is known about the Nebuchadnezzar's key, aside that it is a fundamental element for the consummation of Gendo's scenario.

6. Atlanteans and Seele:

In Fushigi no Umi no Nadia the Atlanteans crash-land on Earth 2 million years BC and are forced to indefinitely stay in it. They eventually create a worldwide empire and uplift native hominids into their own image, creating the human race. Sometime later, they engage in wars which cause the fall of the Atlantean empire and the death of thousands of Atlanteans, whose complemented souls are contained in the Blue-Water stones.

Gendo's statement in the “farewell scene” leads me to believe that the members of Seele could be in fact part of an ancient progenitor race similar to the Atlanteans, whose souls are contained in the monoliths

The holographic AI in control of the Red Noah tells Nadia that her mission as the possessor of the Blue Water is the restoration of the complemented souls of the Atlanteans, that is, bringing them back to life. Keel on the contrary states that Seele's aim is to put an end to individual life and complement all souls into a perfect being.

7. Other similarities:

· Gargoyle's true name is Nemesis La Algol. The AAA Wunder confronts a series of Unit mk04 named “Nemesis Series”
· The Babel Towers from Atlantis and Tartessos look very similar the New-Nerv Headquarters structure. The function of the Babel Towers is to communicate with the native world of the Atlanteans, but they can also be used as immensely destructive weapons.

· The terraces inside the “inverted pyramid” structure closely resemble the terraces surrounding the Neo-Atlantean mining post in which their Babel Tower is located. Also, the characters involved in both scenes appear to be riding a funicular:

· We find flowers both in the barren ruins of Atlantis and in the seemingly sterile wreck of the old Nerv installations.

·The eyes on Eva Mk 09's regenerated head closely resemble the glowing portholes of the Garfish (Neo-Atlantean submarines)

The connections are not just visual or character-wise; the story follows similar lines as well. For example, as the Nautilus is left severely damaged by an Neo Atlantean attack, the main characters are forced to depart from the rest of the crew and take shelter on an island, where they spend most of the remaining episodes living on their own. In 3.0 the Wunder is forced to retreat after Eva Mk 09's attack, and at the end of the movie the main characters are also left on their own.

Speculation on Final:

At the end of Fushigi no Umi no Nadia, Gargoyle obtains the Blue-Water stones and reactivates the Red Noah, calling for mankind's surrender under a threat of complete annihilation. However, they are fought back and successfully defeated by the Neo Nautilus.
If we take into account the multiple analogies I proposed, I think it's reasonable to speculate that a similar ending could take place in 4.0
Could Gendo and Fuyutsuki use the Key of Nebuchadnezzar to take control over the Black Moon in order to carry out the Human Complementation Project? Would Wille use the AAA Wunder in order to stop them?
Who knows? Perhaps I'm reading too much into this... -o-;

What's your opinion on this? Please comment!
Last edited by Electreel on Thu May 24, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:06 am

I actually noticed most of these as soon as I saw the movie. :hahaha: But some of these similarities are new to me - the bridges on the Wunder and the old Nautilus, the Garfish and Mark.09's eyes, and the images of the islands and Tartessos and that chalice thing at the end of 3.0. The Seele==Atlanteans idea actually seems to have been pursued to some extent, which is very interesting. That's a wonderful assortment of images, and you drive home the similarities nicely.

One of the few that is somewhat dubious from an external perspective is the Wunder - New Nautilus comparison. While both are thematically identical beyond any doubt, down to the point of sharing the same music, Wunder only borrows shades of New Nautilus in its design. In fact, Wunder primarily looks like a fusion between the Caduceus staff of Mercury and a Spermatozoon (I'm not joking here - just look at the 'skeletal' section!)

I wouldn't place Bethany Base as a third Moon so quickly. We can't even say for sure if there was a first Moon, or what happened in Antarctica. (Kaworu being the First Angel in this continuity and there being no single "Adam" raises a whole lot of questions about what happened in Antarctica and whether another Moon was involved.)

The "Nemesis" series. Heh, I forgot about Gargoyle's name being thrown in there!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 pm

Thank you very much Ursus! I spent a lot of time searching for the connections and looking for the most fitting images - I was expecting some more, eh... reception :sniffle:
I wasn't really pointing out a visual connection between Wunder and the Neo-Nautilus, and the Bethany Base/Moon thing... it' s just that, pure speculation ;)

Anyway, back to work:

Aren't the three lights in the chest of Red Noah's holographic robot reminiscent of something? Yep, Shinji's room ceiling light (if that's what it is)

Also the three eyes in the Eva from IPEA's logo:

There's more to come! If anyone is interested, that is.

PD: I know this is out of topic/forum discussion, but is there any possibility that anything of this could make it into the Wiki? It's probably just me, but I believe these connections , if not actually relevant to understand the nature of Rebuild and Anno's work in general, are at least worth mentioning.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: 3.0 - Fushigi no Umi no Nadia: Connections & Implica

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 pm

View Original PostElectreel wrote:-Wunder's helmsman Sumire Nagara and Nadia share a similar character design:

You only say that because they’re both black. (And designed by Sadamoto, which carries its own similarities from character to character.)

Seriously, I don’t see that much in common between the two characters. One has more tired looking eyes and definitely lacks the strange blue eyes than Nadia has. The hair, wardrobe, and even jewelry don’t match either. (Though, I guess it does beg the question as to why there’s a black person in a movie created in a country with one predominant Asian race. Japanese entertainment usually doesn’t branch out to different ethnicities mainly because there’s no need for marketing their work in such as way; mostly other asian peoples will watch it anyway. So maybe the very fact that Sumire is of African decent is supposed to be a nod to Nadia in some way.)

But I like everything see you posted. I noted the music immediately when I first saw it, and the Misato/Nemo thing as well. (I posted once or twice about it.) The rest is certainly an interesting revelation.

Though, as far as I can tell, I guess a lot of the similarities between Gargoyle’s plot and NTE!Seele’s plot is as similar as Gargoyle’s plot and NGE!Seele’s plot. Anno just likes epic, humanity-altering stakes in animated adventures. Granted, the imagery borrows from Nadia a bit more this time around. Though, to be transparent about it, both Eva and Nadia borrow from other religions constantly to make up their universe. Whereas Anno’s a smart dude who knew enough about these different religions to use them in an interestingly enough way in both of his works, it probably just follows within the same vein for him. So mashing them up in NTE probably does alter things too much. (Haha! As if we know how and in what way things are being altered to begin with.)

I hope mashing these imagery doesn’t mean that we won’t see Anno remake Nadia anytime soon. Nothing has ever been announced or even hinted at by any of the staff, but I always secretly wanted Nadia to be remade into 4 movies by Anno himself, with the ending he originally penned for the series back before NHK requested more episodes. That would be awesome.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 am

I immediately noticed that the Wunder and its crew was one giant love letter to Nadia and the neo-Nautilus, but there are many I never noticed, such as the avian silhouette or the lower bridge.

And the connection between neo-NERV HQ and the Babel Towers are a great catch! That's a great find, Electreel! :thumbsup:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Masterblast
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Masterblast » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:08 pm

I actually really liked blue water. I like it in some ways more than eva. I think Nemo and Gargoyle are just awesome, Nemo's coldness and Gargoyles arrogance. I also really liked the Atlantian story much more than how humans just randomly became the 18'th angel. Screw the island episodes, it was excellent anime.
I saw how neo-nervs upside down base was like the tower of babel when I saw the film, it was like "Oh yeah…"

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: 3.0 - Fushigi no Umi no Nadia: Connections & Implication

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:28 pm

Here are a couple more to follow up on Electreel's excellent posts:

Ruins of Nerv & Tartessos:

As Nadia and company explore the ruins of Nadia's hometown, the Blue Water opens up several long vertical shafts which they use to enter deeper into the city. Further down, they find that the walls are lined with the remains of dinosaurs and other ancient creatures who perished on the Blue Noah. Shinji, Kaworu and Rei descend down the remains of the main shaft and find that the lower half is lined with the dead remains of the Failures of Infinity.

They return to the surface atop the Tower of Babel, and we see that this particular tower emerges from a pit of some kind in the center of the city, and that the city itself is at the bottom of a crater lake. The New Nerv Tower is much the same, erupting from a hole at the base of a strange crater. The perimeter of Tartessos is even lined with pyramids similar to those on the top of the Nerv tower!

Kaworu, Mark.06 and the Atlantean Robot:

In episode 31, Nadia encounters her holographic robot guide inside Red Noah, and there's a brief shot where the camera swings behind her to show the robot looming in the background. A very similar shot appears at the end of 1.0 when we're first introduced to Kaworu and the in-progress Eva Mark.06. It's not visible in this particular image, but the Eva is actually sitting with its palms turned up, just like the Atlantean bot.

The similarities grow as Mark.06 nears completion. Part of the mask is cut away and it's fitted with a large provisional visor that takes up much of its face, just like the robot's visor-eye. The final helmet sports a smaller glowing visor and the twin horns and crests alter the Eva's outline so that its head has a three-pronged trident-like silhouette.

The scene in 1.0 is framed so that Kaworu is in Nadia's position, but the role he plays, especially in 3.0, is that of the Atlantean robot guide for Shinji. They even share similar dialogue, though Kaworu's is split up into different scenes across the movies.

-The robot says it has been waiting for Nadia to appear and that her return signals the beginning of the revival of Atlantis. Kaworu and Seele 01 have a similar discussion at the end of 1.0 in regard to Shinji.

-Kaworu explains that Instrumentality will sacrifice older life in order to create superior beings. The robot likewise tells Nadia that the revival of Red Noah and the Atlantean people will require the sacrifice of all life on the island's surface.

-The robot believes Atlantis' revival is a goal that Nadia shares, and when it realizes Nadia's happiness lies elsewhere, it lets her go, it frees her from the ship and tells her the Blue Water will guide her to the answers she seeks. Kaworu thinks Instrumentality will bring Shinji the happiness he desires, and when he sees that he's wrong, he tries to stop the process and tells Shinji that fate will guide him to peace. Both promise that they will meet Shinji/Nadia again before disappearing and allowing them to reunite with their comrades.

Nerv/Noah Chambers:

After being damaged in the battle with Sahaquiel, Unit 01 is briefly seen in a rotating axial tomography device consisting of a long cylindrical chamber with multiple rings. The preserved Adam prototype on board Red Noah is stored in a very similar type of device. In hindsight, this is a pretty big clue to Unit 01's true nature! :lol:

Two Evas, Two Blue Waters:

This expands on one of the items in Electreel's original post. The Evas, specifically the special Units 01 and 13, serve as the analogues to Nadia and Nemo's Blue Water stones. Two Units, both very similar in appearance, one associated with a parent (Gendo/Eva 13) and child (Shinji/Eva 01). They are the keys to Gendo/Seele's plans for Instrumentality and Gendo's plan requires both, just like Gargoyle's. The Blue Water houses the souls of dead Atlanteans, including Nadia's mother. Unit 01 is the vessel for Yui and Rei, showing that they are capable of something similar. And whoever pilots these two Evas can be God or Devil, savior of the world and destroyer, just like the holder of the Blue Water.

Nadia's Blue Water/Eva 13 are the only things able to open special sealed passages and barriers within the ruins of Tartessos/Nerv HQ. The Blue Water is able to power up Red Noah just by being near it, and the completed stone is able to lift not only Red Noah but a host of Garfish subs into the air. Eva 13's awakening stirs the New Nerv HQ into some kind of flight-enabled powered state just by its proximity, and it seemingly gives a power boost to the Garfish-like Vessel of Adams. Unit 01 demonstrates similar power when it lifts the Wunder and her entire support fleet and sails away with them.

Here's where things get really curious. The guide robot says the Blue Water is also known as the philosopher's stone. It's a loose take on the concept, but there are some similarities. The "real" philosopher's stone is not blue, however. It is described as being red, purple, a transparent color somewhere between red and purple, and occasionally white. That sounds familiar, doesn't it?

The awakened Evas are the culmination of the "great work" and demonstrate powers associated with the philosopher's stone. They can transmute normal matter, but not into gold, silver, or precious gems. They turn it into more "red stone" core instead. If Kaworu is to be believed, they can also transform Lilith-based life into Fruit of Life beings. The Children were certainly changed somehow, even the ones piloting the "lesser" Evas. Through the Curse of Eva and through absorption like Yui and Rei experienced, the Evas provide youth, longevity and possibly even biological immortality. The Evas can even create clones or homunculi like a philosopher's stone, as seen with the FoI and the various Reis made out of the 10th and 12th Angels' cores.

Who knows how many other references there could be?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:32 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:The Blue Water is able to power up Red Noah just by being near it, and the completed stone is able to lift not only Red Noah but a host of Garfish subs into the air.

Isn't anyone else reminded of Unit 01 and the Wunder?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Great stuff. Man, I gotta watch Nadia again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks! Nadia is a lot of fun and any excuse to watch it again is a good excuse!

Arcadia's legacy wrote:Isn't anyone else reminded of Unit 01 and the Wunder?

Yup! I brought up that comparison a little later in the paragraph! :asuka_thumbsup: They are absolutely similar. Gotta say, the Garfish aren't so intimidating when you see them out of water in their full colors. They look like giant tropical fish! :lol:

It's a bit of a stretch, but I think you could make the case that 3.0 Asuka and Mari form a two-girl version of the Grandis Gang with the characters' traits split between them.

Asuka/Grandis are 28 year old redheads who come from a position of prominence (Eva pilot+Air Force captain/noble family), have been jilted or hurt by men in their pasts, prefer red and wear spiffy high-collared red jackets. They're both full of themselves but have a softer side. Asuka is also shown to have unusual strength for a person of her build, just like Sanson.

Mari has a fair bit in common with Marie, the orphaned child Nadia and co adopt. Their first names are written with the same kanji (マリ), they have blue eyes, blue hairbands, pink outfits (though Marie's varies in color depending on the source), and cheerful, upbeat personalities. Grown-up Marie even looks somewhat like a red-haired Mari:

Mari also has Sanson's hot blooded battle freak attitude and excellent marksmanship skills. She and Asuka both love their mechas/Evas and talk to them like they're more than just machines, which is something Hanson does with the Gratan.

Unit 02 fills the role of the Gratan/Catherine as the reliable red mech that gets beaten to hell and back saving the day and being rebuilt or revised. Both of them finally go out like champs in heroic sacrifice plays to disable the enemy's super weapon (Vessel of Adams/Light of Babel) that's about to destroy or disable the Wunder/New Nautilus. They even have modifications for land, air, and sea travel!

The other member of the team is Nadia's little lion friend, King. Normally you'd expect Pen-pen to fill in the cute friendly animal mascot role, but look at some of the changes to Asuka in 3.0. Kitty-eared space helmet, cute kitty-eared cap, Unit 02's new beast mode is a giant lion or tiger-esque monster, and what does Mari call her most of the time? Princess! :lol: Pity Asuka doesn't wear a bandanna like the rest of Wille.

Shinji's the most obvious expy of Nadia thanks to their shared design, but it seems like he and Rei split the duty and flip in and out of that role as needed by the plot.

For added fun: The Grandis Gang are first introduced as thieves who try to kidnap Nadia (and Jean) so they can steal the Blue Water for themselves. Asuka and Mari are re-introduced during a heist where they steal Unit 01 from Nerv/Seele and end up kidnapping Shinji and Rei by extension. They even spend time on the Nautilus Wunder together.

Now Mari and Asuka need to get married to complete the circle.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:21 pm

How about the pilots at the end of Q are left alone to fend for themselves, much like the main characters in Nadia were stranded on the island?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:17 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:How about the pilots at the end of Q are left alone to fend for themselves, much like the main characters in Nadia were stranded on the island?

Electra's backstory might be a better match for this.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:39 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:How about the pilots at the end of Q are left alone to fend for themselves, much like the main characters in Nadia were stranded on the island?
4.44 confirmed to be the Rebuild's Island Arc! :devil:

Seriously though, this is a pretty cool thread and I wish I had found it sooner. I didn't notice a lot of the similarities until I read the initial post. Though I really don't see any similarity between Nadia and that Wunder crew woman besides skin color, or between the N-Nautilus and the Wunder itself beyond they both have wings. Also I think New NERV is supposes to be a stand-in for Neo Atlantis. Both are small but highly advanced groups with access to first-civilization tech who want to rebuild a lost empire by any means necessary (the empire in New NERV's case would be the old NERV). Also, Gendo is sort of wearing a mask now (that visor thing that obscures his eyes), so some Gargoyle comparisons can be drawn there.
[Redacted]

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:23 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote: Seriously though, this is a pretty cool thread and I wish I had found it sooner. I didn't notice a lot of the similarities until I read the initial post. Though I really don't see any similarity between Nadia and that Wunder crew woman besides skin color, or between the N-Nautilus and the Wunder itself beyond they both have wings. Also I think New NERV is supposes to be a stand-in for Neo Atlantis. Both are small but highly advanced groups with access to first-civilization tech who want to rebuild a lost empire by any means necessary (the empire in New NERV's case would be the old NERV). Also, Gendo is sort of wearing a mask now (that visor thing that obscures his eyes), so some Gargoyle comparisons can be drawn there.

The Wunder and the New Nautilus don't look much alike on the surface, no. The gun towers have a similar sort of aesthetic to the Nautilus, but that's about it. But the launch sequence is very similar to the N-Nautilus, it shares the same theme song, and Kohji's Japanese voice actor also voiced Captain Nemo! In one of the interviews, he says he (jokingly) asked Anno if the Wunder also ran on an Orpheus Furnace like the Nautilus and Anno said Wille wouldn't use such outdated technology. :lol:

And just look at those crew uniforms:

You're right, Gendo does have some similarities with Gargoyle. He's a trusted right-hand human who stages a coup to overthrow the "ancient civilization" of Seele and takes their resources for himself. He masks his face, both with the visor and with :gendoscheme: . And he believes that his ends justify the means too.

Gargoyle was 100% pure dick, a mustache twirling villain with no redeeming traits at all. Gendo is a little more nuanced and shares some traits with Captain Nemo. He's the "King" of the Lilin with a ruined kingdom that he himself destroyed by awakening Unit 01. His beloved wife's soul is preserved within his plot coupon (Unit 01 again). Shinji is estranged from him and seesaws between wanting his approval and hating his guts for his callous attitude. Gendo shows open disdain for Seele's plans for humanity and wages secret war against them to eliminate their Evangelions, just as Nemo did with Gargoyle's ships.

Misato's similarities to Captain Nemo have made me worry that she's going to sacrifice herself in the next movie to save the crew and stop Nerv, but after really mulling it over, I'm starting to think it will be Gendo who makes that sacrifice instead of Misato. He could do it to save Shinji and Rei and fulfill the promise he made to Yui to take care of Shinji. It would also harken back to something Kaji said in 2.0 about Misato being saved by the father she despised.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:07 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote: cute friendly animal mascot role

You did not just call Beast Mode Unit 02 cute and friendly.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:26 pm

You wouldn't cuddle with it? :tongue:

But no, I wasn't actually referring to Unit 02, but to all the cat motifs Asuka has picked up in 3.0 as opposed to a proper animal companion.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Unit 02's 777 Beast Mode is totally King.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Bumping this thread, but do you think we should add these connections to the wiki article about similarities between Eva and other works? As it is, it only contains a short mention of Nadia.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Fri May 13, 2016 8:28 am

Wow......I watched about Half of Nadia several years ago before burning out during the apparently infamous 'island episodes' and losing interest. Always ment to go back and finish it, never got around to it.

Thank you for giving me a reason to do so! I shall watch now with fresh eyes and see if I can find what you have, or anything else. :yippee:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

RunningMan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RunningMan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:11 pm

https://67.media.tumblr.com/88a1457d5b1 ... o1_500.png

http://40.media.tumblr.com/61b3d176ef4d ... 1_1280.png

Not sure if this is as big of a connection as some of the other stuff on this thread but the scythes that the Neo Atlanteans have immediately made me think of the one in 3.33

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”