What's the worst Eva fanfic you've ever read?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

What's the worst Eva fanfic you've ever read?

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:12 am

As the title implies, what is the absolute worst Evangelion fanfic you have ever had the misfortune of defiling your eyes with?

For me, it's probably Father (I can't remember if this was by Adam Kadmon or someone else), introduced to me via Fanfic Firing Squad, my favourite source of pain. Let's list a few of the ways this fic is utter pants:
1: Asuka is pregnant.
2: Nobody knows whose it is.
3: Asuka is now a simpering moeblob.
4: Shinji is now some muscle-bound badass.
5: The pilots are now 16.
6: Shinji has a leather jacket and a MOTHERFUCKING MOTORCYCLE.
7: It's an LAS fic.
8: Shinji can toss adults around like he's Ira Gamagoori.
9: Misato, Ritsuko and Maya are now all apparantly baby-murdering psychopaths.
10: This fic takes itself completely seriously.

So yeah. This fic is utterly horrible.

Also on the list as a dishonourable mention is a fic I started writing (but fortunately never got beyond starting) which would have been a LKS. It was one of the worst ideas I have ever had and its half-started corpse is now sealed within a folder on my PC entitled "Toxic Waste Disposal Unit". I am NOT going to post it. It is that bad.

Anyway, your trauma trigger fics?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 am

I know that story and remember FFF's hilarious take on it.

I have two stories to offer. First is an Adam Kadmon work; can't remember the title but it's about Ritsuko sexually abusing and depraving Shinji for her own amusement. Worse, Shinji doesn't seem to care and actually tells people who find out that it's none of their business. Even worse, Ritsuko gets away scot-free because Gendo judges her to be too important to be executed or imprisoned over something as trivial as rape and deliberate mental torture of a minor.

Another is possibly the most cruel story I've ever read. I mean, I've seen Asuka bashing before but this takes the cake and blows it clean out of the fucking atmosphere.
  • It takes place in the ep26 AU... with the little caveat of Yui figuring that the best way to make Asuka incapable of hurting others is to have her drugged (with a drug Yui supplied from her pharmaceutical company), raped and subjected to daily depravities in order to emotionally desensitize her into a sociopathic slut incapable of meaningfully loving anyone and not caring who she sleeps with as long as it has two legs.
  • It seems to be working.
  • Asuka knows Yui is behind everything but can't do a thing, as she's living with the Ikaris and Yui threatened to throw her out if she refuses to go along with it.
  • Worse, Rei (yes, the ep26 genki-Rei) got caught up in it and is subjected to the same things as Asuka even though Yui knows and admits that Rei was just an innocent in the wrong place at the wrong time. By the time of the story, she has no genkiness left and resembles her canon incarnation in emotional range. Let me repeat that: Rei has absolutely nothing to do with this insanity, yet she's forced to suffer anyway, just because.
  • If that wasn't bad enough already, we also have two instances of netorare here. First, one of Asuka's torturers is Mana who steals Shinji away from Asuka and participates in the torture because Asuka is a rival. Second, another torturer loves Mana and tortures Asuka because he loves Mana but Mana loves Shinji and Asuka also loves Shinji, so he gets back at Shinji for stealing his girl by torturing Shinji's other girl. Makes sense? Of course it fucking doesn't.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:53 am

Mine is one I read very recently : Evangelion: The Break Out, a post-3.0 one-shot where everyone's characterization is butchered beyond recognition, with sense and logic going through the window ans the events of the movie apparently ignored when the author feels like it :

• Misato is an evil bitch going into Shinji's cell to taunt him and gloat.
  • Kaworu came to rescue him(yes apparently he's alive again) but was captured by WILLE.(that's what Misato taunted Shinji about)
  • Kaworu and Misato exchange some banter where the latter scream that she'll never let him free Shinji and the former answer that she'll see what he's able to do.
  • Kaworu reunites with Shinji before blowing out an hole in the Wunder hull and both jump and Kaworu made them float toward NERV HQ just bellow(dafuq?), never mind the fact the Wunder was supposed to have hauled ass out of the zone at the end of Q(that what the whole reason for the trio to have to walk through the red desert)
  • we learn in an offhand way that Rei Q escaped too... somehow, to go live her live free... somewhere(seriously I suspect the author to have remembered about her as an afterthought)
  • Somehow no one is in the base except Asuka that followed them... somehow
  • She screams that she'll kill Shinji with a devilish smirk before strapping a Choker on Shinji that'll kill him by squeezing his neck to death(guns are mainstream ya see)
  • Kaworu takes off the choker and put it on Asuka, who dies from her neck snapping at the same moment Shinji and Kaworu confesses their love(how romantic)
  • Several years pass and Shinji and Kaworu live happily with nature reclaiming the place(nevermind they are in a ruined metal facility floating in the middle of a core material wasteland) with both living from piano session and sex before somehow Shinji gained a copy of Kaworu's powers by going third base with him(nevermind that he should had died of thirst and hunger long before)
  • Never mind the fact NERV HQ is supposed to have flied to another dimension in Q, that Gendo and Fuyu and all their NS and MP-Evas are nowhere to be seen and decided to not try anything to start the final phase of their plan, or that following the logic the Wunder was supposed to be stationed above the HQ during Kaworu and Asuka's "fight" and could had just carpet bombed the place to oblivion, or sent EVA-08 to crush them to paste, apparently they just called it a day and abandoned the two Impact Triggers back to NERV.
God it was so awful it hurt. :facepalm:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Ritsuko sexually abusing and depraving Shinji for her own amusement. Worse, Shinji doesn't seem to care and actually tells people who find out that it's none of their business. Even worse, Ritsuko gets away scot-free because Gendo judges her to be too important to be executed or imprisoned over something as trivial as rape and deliberate mental torture of a minor.

And your point being? That sounds completly believeable in Evaverse.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 am

Only for you, Stillborn. Only for you.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Another is possibly the most cruel story I've ever read. I mean, I've seen Asuka bashing before but this takes the cake and blows it clean out of the fucking atmosphere.
  • It takes place in the ep26 AU... with the little caveat of Yui figuring that the best way to make Asuka incapable of hurting others is to have her drugged (with a drug Yui supplied from her pharmaceutical company), raped and subjected to daily depravities in order to emotionally desensitize her into a sociopathic slut incapable of meaningfully loving anyone and not caring who she sleeps with as long as it has two legs.
  • It seems to be working.
  • Asuka knows Yui is behind everything but can't do a thing, as she's living with the Ikaris and Yui threatened to throw her out if she refuses to go along with it.
  • Worse, Rei (yes, the ep26 genki-Rei) got caught up in it and is subjected to the same things as Asuka even though Yui knows and admits that Rei was just an innocent in the wrong place at the wrong time. By the time of the story, she has no genkiness left and resembles her canon incarnation in emotional range. Let me repeat that: Rei has absolutely nothing to do with this insanity, yet she's forced to suffer anyway, just because.
  • If that wasn't bad enough already, we also have two instances of netorare here. First, one of Asuka's torturers is Mana who steals Shinji away from Asuka and participates in the torture because Asuka is a rival. Second, another torturer loves Mana and tortures Asuka because he loves Mana but Mana loves Shinji and Asuka also loves Shinji, so he gets back at Shinji for stealing his girl by torturing Shinji's other girl. Makes sense? Of course it fucking doesn't.

That's a good contender. The other one that comes to mind is shorter but arguably worse, and I've resolved never to mention the title again since it doesn't need the attention (last time this came up people wound up hunting it down and talking about it, and screw that. It needs to be forgotten post haste).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 pm

I forget the name but it was really disgusting and fucked up and was some kind of really bizzare crossover and I have no idea how I came across it. And ^ that one. Also Power Plays but in a different way.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I forget the name but it was really disgusting and fucked up and was some kind of really bizzare crossover and I have no idea how I came across it. And ^ that one. Also Power Plays but in a different way.

That's more to do with you than the work, though. I still don't understand why you forced that on yourself when it was so obviously not your bag.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Hellstorm Evangelion was pretty dreadful.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:50 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's more to do with you than the work, though. I still don't understand why you forced that on yourself when it was so obviously not your bag.
Except it wasn't.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:36 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Hellstorm Evangelion was pretty dreadful.

I gave Hellstorm Evangelion a pass because it was so bad it looped back round into good. A terrible fic, but a funny one.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:38 am

I try not to read the really shitty ones. Sorry, I'm just super-careful like that.

That being said, I've certainly read my fair share of poorly-written, hastily-constructed-and/or-paced, "why-did-this-need-to-be-typed-down?" stories. I can't tell you specifics, though: I don't remember one of them a bit in detail. Most of them were probably of my particular persuasion, though that's hardly a surprise.

Long story short: I remember and catalog the good/great stories, then leave out all the rest.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The other one that comes to mind is shorter but arguably worse, and I've resolved never to mention the title again since it doesn't need the attention (last time this came up people wound up hunting it down and talking about it, and screw that. It needs to be forgotten post haste).

If that's the one I think you're alluding to, then yes, let's move along swiftly. The less said, the better off we'll all be.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:56 am

Without the names it's not really funny you know, if you don't want to talk about certain fics, okay, bt at least gives us other names, if not this topic will become boring very fast.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:00 pm

The worst EVA fic I've ever witnessed?

It's called ReTake, I think.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The worst EVA fic I've ever witnessed?

It's called ReTake, I think.

Okay, that doesn't even come CLOSE to the piles of trash that the other member's examples here. RE-TAKE is FAR ABOVE the steaming piles of crap of Kadmon fics. :lol:

Sure, it's flawed, but it's a hell of a lot more developed, paced, and actually quite heart-warming. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm

For the record, we're only talking about fanfics here, not doujin manga. There's a lot of crappy doujinshi, but I dunno, maybe for another thread.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:26 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:we're only talking about fanfics here, not doujin manga.
There's only a smidgin of nuance distinguishing the two categories.

The "I can't hit the back button fast enough" award went to a gurotastic number with a title like The Object of my Passion; the "I cannot write but do it anyway" spot goes to a Misato/Hikari fic on one of the shoujo-ai sites.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:45 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Ritsuko sexually abusing and depraving Shinji for her own amusement. Worse, Shinji doesn't seem to care and actually tells people who find out that it's none of their business. Even worse, Ritsuko gets away scot-free because Gendo judges her to be too important to be executed or imprisoned over something as trivial as rape and deliberate mental torture of a minor.

WTF? :cringe:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:WTF? :cringe:

It's not as bad as he's making it out to be. Not because of what he described, mind (which did happen), but rather because Asuka finds out about it and does her best to help the guy. Kadmon also carries it through to completion, taking it all the way through EoE, with the end result being a slightly more positive ending than EoEoE (albeit still bittersweet).

So yeah, horrible character assassination of Ritsuko, but in other respects it was actually pretty interesting.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:So yeah, horrible character assassination of Ritsuko, but in other respects it was actually pretty interesting.

Worse than character assassination - remember, this is the same Ritsuko who blew off Misato's ear in Episode 02 for joking about "putting the moves" on poor Shinji. It's like he created a monster and put her in Ritsuko's skin. I just can't imagine Shinji saying "that's none of your business" either.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Fanfiction”