Rebuild trilogy in mexican theaters

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Rebuild trilogy in mexican theaters

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:21 am

Today and tomorrow, and on a later date from what I know, the mexican theater chain Cinemex is showing all the Rebuild films released thus far.

I went today and decided to catch 2.22 and 3.33 since I'd already seen the frist one in a special screening a few years ago.

Overall, it was a great experience. I really do love both movies and watching them on the big screen just allows for a fuller impact of the animation and it's even easier to appreciate how detailed and beautiful the animation is, as well as the amazing sound design and editing in full-blown surround sound.

The theater was about half-full in both screenings and they seemed to be especially receptive to You can (not) advance, laughing throughout and staying dead quiet during the most intense scenes. For Q, some (if not everyone) laughed during the Kaworu/Shinji bits.

As for anything funny or odd, I have the habit of sitting way on the back and I ended up stting next to this kid who couldn't be older than 15 years old and he was pretty loud throughout. He kept yelling out stuff like "Oh no!" or "I know what will happen now!" Halfway through the movie, this big, burly dude stood up in front of me and said in the most gravely, loud voice possible "What, can't you see me or what?!" and I was thinking "Who is this guy?!" but then he sat down next to the loud guy and it seemed like he was his dad or older brother. He left a short while after.

For 3.33 I decided to sit in the middle to not be next that guy, but this crowd of tweens ended up sitting behind me and ended up walking in and out of the whole movie and talking on the phone for the frist half of the movie. Not to mention some people would answer their phones.

Also, 2.22 started out misframed so you couldn't see the subtitles. This was fixed promptly. But with 3.33, the projctionist put 2.22 again by accident. And then he fixed it but instead of 3.33, we were basically greeted by a giant green screen and green pixels. Luckily, it was fixed too. I noticed that the dialogue was sort of low in the beginning of both movies and I'd always noticd that the image was kind of soft in both movies, but it was especially noticeable on the big screen.

Also, Q was projected in the wrong aspect ratio; 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1, leading to both sides of the screen to be cropped, so when the 2nd title screen came up it says: VANGELION 3:33 You can (not) red.

Overall, despite those shortcomings. I can't really complain. I'm really happy to have seen both movies on the big screen with a crowd of fans and newbies. Damn is 3.33 a downer of a movie, though haha. The contrast of the audience reactions to each ending couldn't be bigger.

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:55 pm

I hope it's ok to suddenly bump this old thread, but I felt it kinda... Lonely... And well, I went there too so, I would like to put my little grain of sand into it and share my experience also.

Now, frankly I think that Cinemex sucks in so many ways and not only when it comes to displaying anime, but in everything. Which really disappoints me.

1.11 and 2.22 also started with a wrong aspect ratio and the audience went crazy about that, not to mention the part where the subs vanished out of the nowhere in 3.33.

Even so, despite all of the classic fails of Cinemex, it was great to enjoy the three films with a crowd of people from all ages, that were fangirling through the whole movies as you mentioned it. They were very emphatic, even singing Beautiful World.

Apparently You are (not) alone was the most seen or less important because the people were discussing it openly but remained quiet during action scenes. I agree with you on 3.33, the audience seemed shocked and excited at the same time the entire film.

I went by my own 'cause all of my friends think Eva is like Precious of anime, however, I met two cool guys that were sharing their candies with me and even take me to dinner after we left the movie theater. :highfive:

To conclude this, I enjoyed a lot (maybe not my back) though, specially the sound and animation looked gorgeous, but I truly truly hope that they improve AniFest soon. And who knows maybe we'll get FINAL or 3.0 + 1.0 (whatever the name I'll be) the same year of its premier *fingers crossed*.

And yes bad anime festivals are third world problems. :asuka_sad:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Rebuild trilogy in mexican theaters

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:07 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:Also, Q was projected in the wrong aspect ratio; 1.85:1 instead of 2.35:1, leading to both sides of the screen to be cropped, so when the 2nd title screen came up it says: VANGELION 3:33 You can (not) red.

NO.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Rebuild trilogy in mexican theaters

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:39 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:NO.

Unfortunately, yes. I wish I had taken a picture.

ChamucaRobota-Way too late for this, but I'm glad to meet another mexican here!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”