Love Japanese Culture? Want To Live There?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

MisatoCrush
Lilith

Love Japanese Culture? Want To Live There?

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:50 am

Do you love Japanese culture beyond anime/manga?
Have you or do you want to live there at some point?
Have you learned the language? If so what was your method?

I've thought of teaching English in Japan. Basically a paid vacation (though I hear you might make crap money the 1st year until you build relationships/a network).

I'm of Korean descent and I currently live in Seoul teaching English.
But honestly I'm way more fascinated by Japanese culture.

I made my 1st Japanese friend last summer, a woman from Nagoya.
Her father has a katana that's over 1000 years old.
It's stored in a special type of bank vault because it's so dangerous and valuable.
So he only views it there at the facility where it is housed.

I just really like how Japanese people do things. Clean neat and tidy. Very respectful.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: Love Japanese Culture? Want To Live There?

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:01 am

There's a Japanese culture outside of anime? Woah.
View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:I've thought of teaching English in Japan.

Yeah, I've thought about it, in fact that's what I was going to school for, but then I thought, "Fuck it", I'll just go to school for something stupid, and go into JET which is basically the same as ESL, but you don't need a fucking bachelors degree for it. So hopefully I'll be able to do that, but I'll settle for some shitty desk job.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: Love Japanese Culture? Want To Live There?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 am

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Do you love Japanese culture beyond anime/manga?

Oh, yes. Japanese culture and aesthetics are in a class all of their own. Quite frankly, they're amazing.

Her father has a katana that's over 1000 years old.
It's stored in a special type of bank vault because it's so dangerous and valuable.

If it's a thousand years old, it's not a katana. It's an older type of sword - probably a ken or a tachi if those existed back then. Katanas were really created in response to the trouble from the Mongols about seven hundred years ago, when the existing Japanese sword types proved to shatter or lose their edge or tip too easily when struck against hard armor.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:13 am

Ah well I don't know the exact age of her father's sword.
I just remember it was really old. Not 3,000 years old, but not 500 years old either.
I watched the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV show and films for the 1st time in January 2014. Heartbreakingly sad but so beautiful too. I'm here to discuss theories about what happened in the show.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:56 am

Thought about doing JET after I graduated a decade ago and regret not at least applying for the program. Been wanting to visit Japan since I got into anime when I was around 13. Finally visiting this year in October after wanting to do so for 20 years.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 am

Sadly never been there but Japan's culture and history has always fascinated me. Not sure about living, I have this dream of wandering through the country one day though.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:59 pm

My pipe dream is teaching English there. I've only studied the language for a semester though.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:24 pm

If I ever refine my practical and conversational Japanese to the point where I could do anything with it, I might want to visit. But living there sounds like a nightmare. I'm not just a gaijin, I'm a female gaijin.

And those yearning to be English teachers, beware, your students may attempt to grab your junk and stick fingers up your anus. (Chronicled somewhere here, for those unfamiliar.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 pm

I really like to dally with the idea of living in Japan, but I'm pretty satisfied with Europe. What attracts me most is the enormous availability of mangas, animes, etc., the (apperently) huge tolarance on sexual topics and the food ... god I love the food.

So if I had to decide between living in Japan (with instantly proficienting the language) or making a trip every few years (with instantly proficienting the language) I'd choose the trips.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

MisatoCrush
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MisatoCrush » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:27 pm

Re to a few different posts:

Speaking the language is not a requirement for the entry level English jobs. Sure some high end grammar jobs ask for Japanese proficiency, but most 1st year teachers can't speak or read super well.

The junk grabbing and anus poking is also a phenomenon in Korea, but almost never happens.
Korean kids can be total brats but I chatted with a teacher who has lived in Japan for 30 years and he says students respect and honor teachers bigtime. It's their way.

Once you get up there in age, 30s+ (at least for me) one year's nothing. Time flies by fast. Might as well live abroad and have an adventure at least 1 year before the kids/mortgage...

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original PostMisatoCrush wrote:Re to a few different posts:

Speaking the language is not a requirement for the entry level English jobs. Sure some high end grammar jobs ask for Japanese proficiency, but most 1st year teachers can't speak or read super well.

Still knowing more than ten words would be pretty helpful for living rather comfortable and unsophisticated in a country. ;)
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Live in Japan? Ehhhhhhhhh I don't think so. If I understood Jap fluently maybe. It would be nice to have easy access to all the anime stuff we can't get over here, but I'd also rather not deal with the whole work culture, not to mention the racism and probable shitty living conditions if I wanted to live in the Tokyo metropolitan area.

Honestly, I'd rather reach a point in my life where, financially, I can afford to visit Moonland, and other countries, as often as I'd like.

View Original PostReichu wrote:And those yearning to be English teachers, beware, your students may attempt to grab your junk and stick fingers up your anus. (Chronicled somewhere here, for those unfamiliar.)

As long as they're hot no objections from me.
Last edited by CJD on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I'd love to visit Japan but not live there, the working environment seems to be way too oppressive.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:As long as they're hot no objections from me.

I hope you're joking. I really do. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not just a gaijin, I'm a female gaijin.

Elaborate, pls

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:22 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I hope you're joking. I really do. :p

Honestly I'd be more concerned with another teacher seeing and thinking I instigated it, and then ruining my career/life with a sexual assault charge case. Or if someone snapped a picture and did the same or blackmailed me or something.

But if some good looking gal came up and grabbed my crotch? Awkwardness aside I don't exactly see it as a negative thing.
Last edited by CJD on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:23 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:And those yearning to be English teachers, beware, your students may attempt to grab your junk and stick fingers up your anus. (Chronicled somewhere here, for those unfamiliar.)
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood. Therefore, my body is ready.

If everything goes well I'll be spending a year abroad my junior year so we'll see what happens.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:34 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:So if I had to decide between living in Japan (with instantly proficienting the language) or making a trip every few years (with instantly proficienting the language) I'd choose the trips.

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I'd love to visit Japan but not live there, the working environment seems to be way too oppressive.

Pretty much this.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love the place - Next trip is the seventh time I've been now or something stupid like that. But actually living there would probably damage my infatuation with it. You work really, really long hours, and it is hard work, and you get paid meagre wage or whatever. So unless you're really lucky and get a good job or a great employer; that's a thing. My speaking/reading skill have gotten terrible since I've stopped attending classes as well so that wouldn't help.

I do have my own little daydreams though - Like working in a record store in Tokyo.
Might even still wind-up doing one of those working vacations at a ski/beach resort one day too.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:41 pm

I have a strong fascination with Japan as well as the Japanese culture and language. I also have a fascination with Imperial Japan and the IJNAS, but it's probably for the better not to talk about that.

However, to my embarassment, i must admit i don't know much about Japanese culture and history and can't speak even a bit of the language. I would like to live there for a bunch of years (maybe 5 or so) partly because of the long hours and low pay, as well as the possibility of either taking in or more closely appreciating the Japanese culture and mindset.

I also have a deep appreciation for the tidyness and respectfulness with which Japanese act. Truly admirable.
Last edited by Dream on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:11 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:You work really, really long hours, and it is hard work,

Maybe it was different in 1981 when I went there on business (I was training my agents to install my software they were selling). They worked hard, but for them the end of the working day was absolute - no thought of overtime when it was time to go to the bar (not home...). When we had taken a trip of over an hour to the other side of Tokyo, they got really antsy when I insisted on staying twenty minutes longer to finish the job in one trip rather than going on time but having to do the whole journey again the next day just to finish up. That twenty minutes was out of their drinking time!

I'd love to visit again with the greater knowledge of their culture that I've gained in mind.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”