[News] 2014 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:30 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Memorising them would be safest.

Remembering long strings of words, numbers and other symbols can be a real ball ache, especially if you have to change them every month.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Nosey family members who are bored with life can find pieces of paper

Yeah if you're leaving them right next to your comp.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:41 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:Remembering long strings of words, numbers and other symbols can be a real ball ache, especially if you have to change them every month.
Why do they need to be changed every month?

View Original PostTankred wrote:Yeah if you're leaving them right next to your comp.
You underestimate the lengths some people will go to be nosey.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:40 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Why do they need to be changed every month?

Well not every month, but eventually a large amount have to be changed. Considering all these password scares as well, I wouldn't be surprised if some sites would start forcing a mandatory change every now and then.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:You underestimate the lengths some people will go to be nosey.

You underestimate the lengths some people will go to be secretive.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:33 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Well not every month, but eventually a large amount have to be changed. Considering all these password scares as well, I wouldn't be surprised if some sites would start forcing a mandatory change every now and then.
I don't see the point. If you set a decent password, not related to your favourite actor or your cat's name, then no one will be able to guess it. It is practically impossible to guess a random assortment of symbols. So then I assume the only way someone will get my passwords is through some kind of program. If there is a program I'm unaware of that is reading my passwords then no amount of changing them will help. They'll just get read again or used between the time the password is stolen and when you next wish to change them.

View Original PostTankred wrote:You underestimate the lengths some people will go to be secretive.
Well said, but consider: if you leave something around that could be found, you're not exempt from someone finding it. You can't control who may decide to go hunting or stumble upon it whilst doing something else - if it's in your mind then you're free from such unfortunate events.

Writing it down is an unnecessary risk - especially since changing them infrequently is an unnecessary precaution.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:07 pm

A strong password should be at least twenty symbols and a random combination of numbers, letters, and special characters.

No one is "guessing" these passwords, they're using cracking programs that run on GPUs, similar to crypto currency mining algos, that can do massive amounts of parallel calculations very quickly. They don't need to guess your cat's name.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:19 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:A strong password should be at least twenty symbols and a random combination of numbers, letters, and special characters.

No one is "guessing" these passwords, they're using cracking programs that run on GPUs, similar to crypto currency mining algos, that can do massive amounts of parallel calculations very quickly. They don't need to guess your cat's name.
If you re-read my post you'll see that I was saying just that.

If you set a stupid password, like one with your cat's name, then people who know you may be able to guess it. The point was "if you set a decent password it would be impossible for anyone to guess it". So you needn't change your password, ever, for fear of a person figuring it out.

So I then said that the only way someone is getting your password is if they use a program - in which case, occasionally changing your password will not help you out.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:35 pm

A strong password makes it mathematically impossible to guess. Password leaks are almost always due to bad policies (like Sony storing PSN passwords on a server in plain text) or user error.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Some passwords can be broken; but honestly, few of us have the kind of information that makes it worth the effort. IRL, passwords get stolen or keylogged, and the strength of the password is then completely irrelevant. Multi-factor authentication has to be the only effective way forward, I'm afraid.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:51 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/world/asia/north-korea-sentences-american-to-6-years-of-hard-labor.html?contentCollection=world&action=click&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article

Let's just say he walked into the wrong neighborhood.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:36 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/world/asia/north-korea-sentences-american-to-6-years-of-hard-labor.html?contentCollection=world&action=click&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article

Mission Accomplished, I guess?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:38 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/world/asia/north-korea-sentences-american-to-6-years-of-hard-labor.html?contentCollection=world&action=click&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article

Nothing wrong with some good old hard work, except for when it can kill you.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Ah, international relations with the good ol' DPRK. Good times.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Ah, international relations with the good ol' DPRK. Good times.
Why anybody would actually go to that country for vacation is beyond me. I mean, come on, why would you visit a country that absolutely hated your guts, for the simple fact that you were American.

As much as I love reading about the USSR, I sure as shit wouldn't have gone there as a tourist.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 pm

It's kind of like how you don't see me going to any of the countries neighboring Israel.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:44 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:A strong password should be at least twenty symbols and a random combination of numbers, letters, and special characters.

That's way to hard for me to memorize. There has to be a middle ground between secure and total-pain-in-the-ass. I have about a fifteen different sites that require passwords right now and even accounting for the fact that some of them have the same password, coming up with a different random stream of symbols for each one would be impossible for anyone without a photographic memory to remember. And honestly, if someone wants to break into my EvaGeeks account that badly, they're welcome to do so. My bank account and email passwords are over 8 characters, have a capital and a symbol along with numbers for my bank account specifically.

Writing passwords down defeats the whole purpose in my mind, so they have to have enough personal meaning for me that I remember them, so random keystrokes isn't the way to go for me.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:05 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Why anybody would actually go to that country for vacation is beyond me. I mean, come on, why would you visit a country that absolutely hated your guts, for the simple fact that you were American.

As much as I love reading about the USSR, I sure as shit wouldn't have gone there as a tourist.

Our own Drinian has visited the place at least once (DPRK, that is, not USSR). Even after he explained it to me I still have no idea why.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:A strong password makes it mathematically impossible to guess. Password leaks are almost always due to bad policies (like Sony storing PSN passwords on a server in plain text) or user error.

Aside from data breaches, most individual passwords are stolen through phishing, spear-phishing, malware and/or key-logging. That's why password stores like PWSafe has a copy to clipboard option, so you don't even type the password. Data breaches where hashes are taken simply need to take time, and is not mathematically impossible to guess. Not even close. Most everyone still uses MD5 which isn't safe anymore, EC2 has issues, and recently in an application I worked on, we used PBKDF2. Various strengths between different hashes but you can divide up the work. I regularly run John the Ripper on my servers to make sure users are not picking stupid passwords and I can crack 20-30 character long passwords in a few days on my laptop. Complexity of passwords matter less and less when there's almost no brute force guessing on the front end anymore.

Though email passwords are different, since those passwords are almost always sent plaintext and require re-auth everytime you send an email or fetch from your inbox (no sessions), simply because of the way the protocol works. Those are high visibility and high use, and you should definitely pick something strong in that case. Gmail and the like are an exception, since they require authorized app keys if you want to use your own mail reader and not use your browser.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Most everyone still uses MD5 which isn't safe anymore
Good god, really? I've only ever had to write password systems a couple of times, but I almost always used whirlpool. This was before PHP had built in Bcrypt support.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I regularly run John the Ripper on my servers to make sure users are not picking stupid passwords and I can crack 20-30 character long passwords in a few days on my laptop. Complexity of passwords matter less and less when there's almost no brute force guessing on the front end anymore.
I wish my boss would listen to my about password security. But no, she wants all the passwords to be the same, simple, 6-character password. It's insane. What's worse is that you can get into anyone's email (including her's, and the accountants', but excluding mine and the other IT peoples', because we are administrators) by just knowing the username, since everyone has to have the same bloody password.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Though email passwords are different, since those passwords are almost always sent plaintext and require re-auth everytime you send an email or fetch from your inbox (no sessions), simply because of the way the protocol works. Those are high visibility and high use, and you should definitely pick something strong in that case. Gmail and the like are an exception, since they require authorized app keys if you want to use your own mail reader and not use your browser.
I've picked dozens, nay hundreds, of email passwords out of the air using airodump, over the years. I have no reason to use them, but it's funny just how little protection is used. Since more people are switching to Gmail, it's getting harder, but there are the still the odd elderly people using AOL.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:58 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Good god, really? I've only ever had to write password systems a couple of times, but I almost always used whirlpool. This was before PHP had built in Bcrypt support.

Once you start using MD5, be it 5 or 15 years ago, it's not like you can flip a switch and start using a new hashing algorithm. You can support multiple hashes and favor one over the other but you can't just rehash all the passwords in your database, since, you don't have the actual passwords. So they'll stick around until, along with the contingency, every one of your users have changed their passwords thus causing it to get hashed with the newer algorithm. And that's simply not something that's feasible with a large enough user base.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Well, fuck. Guess I'll have to start rotating them again.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Our own Drinian has visited the place at least once (DPRK, that is, not USSR). Even after he explained it to me I still have no idea why.

I hear Mordor is nice this time of year.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”