Kids watching Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ringworm128
Lilith

Kids watching Eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Are there any members here who first watched Eva as a young kid? If so what was your reaction? Also I remember reading a story of some guys parents who bought him End of Evangelion when he was 6 thinking it was just another cartoon. Are there any other stories like this?

Sometimes when my 7 year old nephew plays my game consoles I watch the rebuild movies, sometimes he pauses and watches a bit of them.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:03 am

My reaction exactly was that at first i was all excited about the robots and the fights against the angels but as i continued watching the episodes i became incredibly interested in understanding the plot
and pretty much understanding WHAT THE F*** I WAS WATCHING(sorry caps,needed for dramatic bit),
i had never seen anything like it, and around that time i used to watch a lot of anime,
i believe i was 8-10 years old when i first finished EVA,
i remember the first time i watched EoE i was so confused with the Hospital scene, i thought to myself "Is Shinji crying?, why does it sound like he's sobbing?, uh oh, is that yogurt? i don't get it, how did he get yogurt in his hand.", i remember now and laugh at my innocence, oh god....
if only i'd known what i was getting myself into, not to mention watching EVA at that age certainly impacted my life and the way i viewed it, even if i couldn't understand it that much at the time it still made me look at things differently, i can't blame EVA for the depression that eventually grew inside of me at the time, but it might have pushed it to the surface, i remember i used to spend most of my days after that, inside just reading and reading and reading a lot of information, and watching anime.
I guess you could say EVA did change me, although i don't think of it that way, i think of it more as that it woke up the real "me".
It's too late to pry away.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:41 pm

View Original PostJadley wrote:i remember the first time i watched EoE i was so confused with the Hospital scene, i thought to myself "Is Shinji crying?, why does it sound like he's sobbing?, uh oh, is that yogurt? i don't get it, how did he get yogurt in his hand."

Asuka, do you have a spoon? Asuka? Please wake up! Asuka! Nobody has a spoon for me! I want to eat my yogurt so desperately! I don't want to use my dirty fingers to eat it... but I have too!
*omnomnom*
I'm so disgusting

:shinchair:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:32 pm

You're not a true evageek unless your semenarche was followed by a sudden understanding of that scene.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:06 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You're not a true evageek unless your semenarche was followed by a sudden understanding of that scene.

Implying you need to have a semenarche to be a true evageek? Silly man creature.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:15 pm

I'm actually doing an experiment with my two children, ages 2 and 3.

I watch a few episodes of it at night, after work, with my wife. One night, my two-year-old came out and sat with us while we watched episodes 21'-23', and he stayed surprisingly focused on what was happening on-screen. So I'm starting to have them watch the episodes with us more and more, and I'm going to continue to do so for as long as I can. I want to see how starting kids out at those ages, and then continually watching them with them for years, affects them as people in the long run.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:45 pm

^depending on what that turns up, I might feel sudden guilt regardding my little sister.

The kinds of adult things we've watched and discussed thinking that she wouldn't understand anyway. I feel we may have assumed her to be stupider than she is just because she took a long time to learn to speak - them babies always understand a lot more than they can say; she could be asked to fetch specific things since she was two and a half.

It's only now that she's five and repeats things that we're paying attention... we weren't showing her splatter movies or anything worse than the occassional star trek episode/dirty joke, though....

Before anyone raids our house to rescue little Jana or something. XD

I was already teenaged when I discovered EVA (though probably still offficially too young to watch that, let alone Elfen Lied... but I think I found those two things exactly when I needed them in my life- the animerxx entry on EVA explicitly says something like "this is +16 for a reason/not the kind of thing you should watch earlier"), but I have vivid memories of being exposed to Nadia at 8 or so.

It's still significantly "softer" than EVA, but Gargoyle is a pretty serious villain very willing to just shoot people.
The scene where they bury Marie's parents particularly stuck in my head. I felt it was an impressive break from Genre conventions when she was outright told that she would never see her dead parents again instead of a typical "you'll meet them again" platitude. It was an answer I didn't predict.
My impression was mostly that it was an unusual plot twist/ took its audience seriously, probably one of the reasons that drew me to Anime in the first place. Compare your average cartoon with something relatively kid-friendly like Digimon, and it's still obvious which has more of an emotional depht/ capacity to impress you and remain in your memory.

This is also something that depends on the person - my mom always tells me how she was scared by her first +12 movie (something about a wax museum) and still doesn't watch scary movies of any kind, and there you have my sister Isabel who isn't impressed by the ketchupiest things at 12. She's just able to distance herself from what she sees.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Implying you need to have a semenarch to be a true evageek? Silly man creature.

I'm not going to lie here. I saw an opportunity to use the word semenarche in a sentence and I took it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nightwing
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightwing » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 pm

I cant let my younger brother watch it hes too young (11) and stupid to understand he`d end up just snitching on me and get Mom to ban the show
Give me back Ayanami!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:49 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:I'm actually doing an experiment with my two children, ages 2 and 3.

As inappropriate as that may seem to most, I don't think it'll screw up your kids heads too much. The The impressions left on a child through entertainment aren't nearly as strong as it is through personal contact in reality.

It's like if you watched a movie about people being happy when they eat food, that impression isn't nearly as strong as actually eating food. The same goes for other subject matters, good or bad, natural or unnatural.

That all being said, I do think one should still be careful what subjects your kid is being exposed to at what time. I've been told about sex by my parents since I was 5, and had no clue what they were talking about until 5 or 6 years later.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:I'm actually doing an experiment with my two children, ages 2 and 3.

I watch a few episodes of it at night, after work, with my wife. One night, my two-year-old came out and sat with us while we watched episodes 21'-23', and he stayed surprisingly focused on what was happening on-screen. So I'm starting to have them watch the episodes with us more and more, and I'm going to continue to do so for as long as I can. I want to see how starting kids out at those ages, and then continually watching them with them for years, affects them as people in the long run.

oh god why

I don't care how focused they are, it's downright irresponsible to show mecha cannibalism of EoE etc. to freaking 3 year olds. They probably deal with it better than some older ones since they don't really "get it" all that wel, but kids get irrationally horrified by much tamer stuff.
Last edited by Xard on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm

That is the most fucked up thing I have read on EGF.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That all being said, I do think one should still be careful what subjects your kid is being exposed to at what time. I've been told about sex by my parents since I was 5, and had no clue what they were talking about until 5 or 6 years later.

Watch this then! :lol:

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-wheel-of-the-worst-3/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:34 pm

View Original Postqu4d wrote:Watch this then! :lol:

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-wheel-of-the-worst-3/

LOL! I never said that it would be helpful. Confusion amongst media is fairly safe and wouldn't traumatize most children, especially at age 3. 7 year olds are a different story all together.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:LOL! I never said that it would be helpful. Confusion amongst media is fairly safe and wouldn't traumatize most children, especially at age 3. 7 year olds are a different story all together.

They showed us that film in school when I was ~9 years old. By then I already knew how this works... and watching that video felt so awkward :lol:

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:53 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:I'm actually doing an experiment with my two children, ages 2 and 3

NO HOTLINKING -Reichu
EDIT: oops, sorry
Last edited by Dataprime on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Nightwing
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightwing » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:01 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:NO HOTLINKING -Reichu
Well said my friend
Give me back Ayanami!

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:28 pm

When I become a mother I'll show my kids Eva along with Sailor Moon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I'll start with Sailor Moon and move on to Eva and Madoka when they're around 13 or 14. :D We'll watch it together and I'll explain it to them.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:08 pm

13 or 14 seems like a good time to begin considering showing them Eva, if at least for the honesty in its writing about certain subjects like sexuality and growing up. It's one thing to ask your kid to live up to a certain standard of morality when it comes to sexuality, it's a completely other thing to claim that the said standard is "natural" and to stray away from that would be "unnatural." ("It's completely natural for a boy your age to want to masturbate to boobies, but just DON'T DO IT OVER THE COMATOSE BODY OF A 14-YEAR-OLD GIRL!")

Maya Ibuki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Maya Ibuki » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:50 am

I began watching Evangelion at the age of 5 - thinking it was just another anime. By the time I finished the whole series, I had a lot of sleepless nights. I actually remember crying about death. Nonetheless, I grew older to see that it isn't such a negative anime as it looks; it's more philosophical.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”