Spanish Q BD - WTF

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Spanish Q BD - WTF

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:11 pm

So I came across some sample screenshots from the Spanish BD. Supposedly this release:

It's a BD25 with 14921 kbps video bitrate
The original Japanese release is a BD50 with 39440 kbps video bitrate

Still, 14,000 kbps shouldn't be too bad, right? The most popular encode is around 11,000 kbps and looks for the most part quite good.

The spanish BD though did something horribly, horribly wrong. Lots of blocking and artifacts and sometimes anything red goes completely to shit. For a movie with so much red...that's not good.

There were only a few sample screen. I took the same frames from the Japanese BD. Ignore the color differences because my computer has the wrong color space set up, enjoy the horrible blocking.

Japan: http://i.minus.com/ibjdMyF34iJPp2.png
Spain: http://i.minus.com/imf7GfYHa5pfi.PNG

Japan: http://i.minus.com/ibbqtiq3KIC9ET.png
Spain: http://i.minus.com/ibrFMqxbOlihL1.PNG

This one especially, just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Japan: http://i.minus.com/ibb8Go9F80GglC.png
Spain: http://i.minus.com/ibgoQcKHSeNxTE.PNG

Keep in mind this isn't some jpeging of the screenshots. The site where the spanish screens come from has strict rules for "lossless" sample screens that reflect what the source video looks like. If that's really what the spanish BD looks like...someone fucked up :cringe:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:30 pm

lol, da blockz

And I forgot to write that in the other thread, but the german blu-ray looks pretty crisp. Couldn't make out any real difference to the Japanese blu-ray on my tv. No blocks, fragmentation or anything.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:50 pm

To be a Spanish Evangelion 3.0 fan with this release must a be a suffering.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Cleaner looking reds in video is perhaps the best thing Blu-ray technology was ever able to give humanity. I'm surprised the Spanish edition was able to completely fuck it up so much.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Great, now I'm worried about the French blu-ray. Where can I see the video bitrate for it?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Pop the disc into a computer and run BDinfo or wait for someone else in the world to do it.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

mp3dom
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mp3dom » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Spanish BD is a recompression (at lower data rate) of the Japanese bd. Infact it contains the short movie (Giant god warrior) at the beginning (you can see it, only in Japanese, if you watch the m2ts on a pc). It is 'excluded' from the playlist if you start the movie from the bd menu (*Giant god warrior is only for Japanese market, exactly like the OST*). This also means that the disc contains 10min of 'useless video' that eats bitrate from the main movie.
As for the bad reds, it's due to wrong chroma upsampling.

German BD is still on BD25. Main feature is about 17.8 GB (half the size of the Japanese BD). It lacks some extras, and some others have some errors (badly cuts)

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:00 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:To be a Spanish Evangelion 3.0 fan with this release must a be a suffering.

That's nothing. The Spanish-speaking fandom is still rife with obsolete theories...
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:17 am

View Original PostHeaven Piercing Man wrote:That's nothing. The Spanish-speaking fandom is still rife with obsolete theories...

Spanish Evafan here.

well there are very little good spanish-evafan forums, and most of them are literal translations from english forums (like evageeks). :facepalm:

Concerning the main topic, i never have bought any of the spanish version of RoE films. Spanish dubbing is awful, translations sometimes are not accurated, and quality is bad.

Here in Spain this kind of products are bought by "otaku-teens" 14-16 years old who only have watched RoE 1 or 2 times but they think is a cool anime because is popularly considered as one of the most important anime series. :um:

I prefer to wait for a future pack with all the movies, and import them from Japan.

Meanwhile i have an external hard disk with 100 gb of Evangelion :shifty:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:12 am

^
Oh yes, I remember how there only seems to be like three or four different voice for dubbing absolutely everything, be it movies, videogames, anime or TV series.

It's at the same time hilarious, sad(because they're not very good) and frightening, because I just can't see how it's possible for these few voice actors to be everywhere like that... maybe we were lied and Spain is from where the vocaloid technology comes from! :lol:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:07 pm

yep, for example it´s kind of weird that Shinji´s spanish voice is the same as a dinosaur announcing yoghurts :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

5:21 min (Spanish conversation Shinji/Asuka in RoE 2.0)
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCd2TkxCz4[/url]

Same voice dubbing a "dinosaur" for danone yoghurts
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxsKd-CM-HE[/url]

it was funny when I was watching TV and suddenly a dino-shinji appeared :bigeyes:

visionfactory
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby visionfactory » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 pm

I watched the dvd and noticed nothing, you're living in Spain not USA or Japan :bigeyes: you guys are asking too much, I wish they released the movie in my country... (they will in 2014 but with no spanish dub, I'll buy it anyway because it's cheap and I want to have more Eva dvds)

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:45 am

Wow they manage to do a worse job then brazilian version of 1.11 that was already done from a US master, we didnt even bother to remove the english background from the menus, and the video encoded was still bad with a little jaggies. After the disapointement from no trued hd audio from akira or ghost in the shell and the awfull master for gits.....i'll never buy anything from paris films, then they complain the market doesn't suport a release...dumbassses
ANATA BAKA !?

Ideograph
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ideograph » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Well, thank goodness for me importing the BD (*GASP!* dubbed. Really, Spike Spencer is awesome) It really, really looks awful.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:36 pm

:facepalm:
I own this version. Well, I don't care too much about this stuff. And iit was a present! Didn't have to pay! ^_^
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:50 am

Should someone email anyone about this? Is it a money saving measure?

Corpex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Corpex » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:24 am

^
I don´t think so, apparently Selecta-Vision (exclusive distributor of Evangelion in Spain) has been doing this kind of things in other Evangelion films like 2.22 blu-ray and dvd. One user from a Spanish Eva forum reported that 2.22 Selecta-Vision edition had "jumps", some scenes were pixelated or even there was a scene of 2 seconds from another movie recorded over the film :cringe:

It seems they don´t care. Unless spanish people import original blu-ray from Japan/other countries (without spanish subtitles), Selecta-Vision edition is the only way spanish people can have Evangelion.

If Spanish Evageeks are reading this, don´t give up. There will always be Original BDRemux Torrents :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:25 pm

^
íVaya putada! :irked:

Seriously, I'm glad to know more than one language, and that there's a service of good quality in anime distribution in France!

EDIT : I take back everything I said, the French BD has the exact same crappy visuals than the Spanish version.

Putain de merde! :irked:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mp3dom
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mp3dom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:11 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:the French BR has the exact same crappy visuals than the Spanish version.

About the bad reds, it's due to wrong chroma upsampling.
Check the spanish disc and the french disc. There's a high chance that the video is exactly the same (same file) Both discs have the same menu, graphically speaking. They only have different text strings to match each version so I guess the authoring studio is the same.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Well I don't have the Spanish BD, but the French menu is the poster image of Shinji and Kaworu sitting under the stars(see first post) with the four options at the bottom of the screen.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”