Top 10 Films of 2013

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

Top 10 Films of 2013

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Overall, I think 2013 was a good year for film. It had some duds, of course (*cough* Man of Steel *cough*), but overall, it think it was worth it.

Before I say my top 10, here are a few honorable mentions:
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion
-Despicable Me 2
-Oz The Great And Powerful
-Captain Phillips
-Prisoners
-The Conjuring
-This Is The End

Also keep in mind that I have not seen every film that has come out this year (I missed World War Z and The Great Gatsby, and I have yet to see The Hobbit).

10. Thor: The Dark World

9. 12 Years A Slave

8. All Is Lost

7. Iron Man 3

6. Monsters University

5.Star Trek Into Darkness

4.The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

3. Frozen

2. Pacific Rim

1. Gravity

What were your favourite films of 2013?
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:14 am

I haven't seen enough for a top 10, but my two favorite films this year are Gravity and The Place Beyond The Pines.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am

Frozen
Saving Mr. Banks
Despicable Me 2
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion
Warm Bodies

Those are my top 5 in order.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:50 am

Looking back I realize that I didn't actually see all that many movies in theaters this year, and of the ones I did see not that many stood out to me (though Captain Phillips, The Bling Ring, Computer Chess, All is Lost, and Elysium were all relative highlights; the first two hours of Prisoners would've been in the running for the year's best, but the too-awful-to-be-believed final fifth knocks it down several huge pegs and makes the apparent brilliance that came before it look a whole lot flimsier in retrospect).

I guess if I had to pick one film of the ones I've seen so far for MotY, it'd probably be Edgar Wright's The World's End (which is saying something, because I fucking hated Scott Pilgrim).

Honestly though, all the best films I've seen (It's Such a Beautiful Day, Not Fade Away, Mud, The Gatekeepers, Frances Ha) or wanted to see (The Act of Killing) this year I'm realizing technically came out in 2012.

Gravity and 12 Years a Slave were both very strong films but such shameless award bait that I can't in good conscience name them among the year's best.

Also I haven't yet seen American Hustle or Inside Llewyn Davis, both of which could very well unseat The World's End for my top pick.

Legion, you really need to start seeing films beyond what's being shown at your local multiplex.
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 am

Not sure what the order would be, but I liked:

*Pacific Rim
*12 Years a Slave
*Nebraska
*The Wolf of Wall Street
*Only God Forgives
*Captain Phillips
*The Great Gatsby
*Saving Mr. Banks
*Before Midnight
*We Steal Secrets

Unfortunately I didn't get to see a lot of stuff. Still haven't checked out American Hustle or The Act of Killing yet.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:07 am

Oh yeah I wanted to see Before Midnight too, but held off since I hadn't seen the previous two films in the trilogy.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:10 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Oh yeah I wanted to see Before Midnight too, but held off since I hadn't seen the previous two films in the trilogy.

You can knock both of them off in a day. The second movie isn't even 90 minutes long.

EDIT: Double checking, Before Sunrise clocks in at 105 minutes, and Before Sunset is a mere 80 minutes. Before Midnight is 109 minutes.

I don't think you really need to see the first two to understand Before Midnight, but it helps and they're both good anyways.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 am

Only God Forgives is my MOTY2013.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Top 10 Films of 2013

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:42 am

View Original PostLegionWrex wrote:What were your favourite films of 2013?

In the future, do not link images from other sites. It's bandwidth theft. If you need to host an image, please use a service like imgur. Also, try and resize the images to something reasonable, or wrap them in the spoiler tag. If you need to resize an image Gimp is a decent free image editor.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Top 10 In Order:

1. Frances Ha
2. The Wolf of Wall Street
3. Her
4. The Wind Rises
5. 12 Years A Slave
6. Gravity
7. Pacific Rim
8. The World's End
9. Inside Llewyn Davis
10. Blue Is the Warmest Color

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Also meant to see Blue is the Warmest Color. Still mean to see Her.

Frances Ha is technically from 2012, otherwise it would've made my list for its hellish portrait of existentially vacuous bohemian twentysomethings. If I'd made the film though, I would've scrapped the ending's redemptive note and made it into a true chiller flick.

Fuse you best be trollin'. OGF wasn't even entertainingly bad. It was just bad. N.W. Refn = hack of the forever.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Honestly, I don't think I've even seen 10 new films this year.
Just nothing that really interesting to me.
but my top movie this year was Pacific Rim

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm not sure if I've even seen any 2013 film (Meguka excluded, kek). Act of Killing would be overwhelmingly the best film I've seen in a long while (at least director's cut is so) but even that came out in 2012, apparently. :(

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:09 pm

The Act of Killing looks amazing despite being directed by commie scum. Hope it comes to Netflix soon.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:20 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm not sure if I've even seen any 2013 film (Meguka excluded, kek). Act of Killing would be overwhelmingly the best film I've seen in a long while (at least director's cut is so) but even that came out in 2012, apparently. :(

Well, we did go to see Pacific Rim and The Hobbit, but neither of them are "film of the year" level.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Pacific Rim

This would be closest FOTY title for me. :tongue: (I haven't seen many 2013 films, lol)
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Oh right Oz. Yeah, those I've seen but not exactly AOTY stuff. I want to see Gravity, Her and Betoniyö before I make this call.

Too bad my chances of seeing last one are pretty slim now before DVD release.... stupid uni shit taking all my time

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:The Act of Killing looks amazing despite being directed by commie scum. Hope it comes to Netflix soon.

I met the man (and the editor of the film) this fall, actually. They were both really, really cool folks to talk with. I think I took 15 minutes of the guy's time (sorry) :lol:

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:The Act of Killing looks amazing despite being directed by commie scum. Hope it comes to Netflix soon.

2h versions or DC? DC is more arthousy and less talking heads (though normal version should be good too based on what I heard).
Last edited by Xard on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Can you even see the 2 hour cut anymore? I thought the DC was the only version released on DVD.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Xard how do you get to meet all these cool important filmbros, let alone talk to them?

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:22 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Oh right Oz. Yeah, those I've seen but not exactly AOTY stuff. I want to see Gravity, Her and Betonimylly before I make this call.

We also went to see The Grandmaster, too. But what the fuck is Betonimylly? :lol:

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Xard how do you get to meet all these cool important filmbros, let alone talk to them?

By going to film festivals.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Film and Video”