Eva's Strongest Point?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 pm

I always liked the characters and Anno's strengths as a visual storyteller. (His dialogue writing... not so much.)

light444
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby light444 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:23 am

I knew it has to be the characters. The problem with me is I watched it expecting it to be some mecha lol, so at first I was rly pissed with Shinji being a pussy. But later in the story (esp when Asuka had coma : Penpen? was sent away) I realized this is no way a mecha and that Shinji had to be a pussy for the story. I noticed the characters were different from your usual anime cast and that they were real, rather than the usual almost perfect and ideal MC. Anyways, I liked Asuka more than anyone else.

Also, I dunno if I overlooked or forgot it but I cant remember the talking lines. Im sure Ive overlooked and missed a lot of the visual narrations bec. the images were kinda shifting too fast and so were the subs, my eyes were almost focused to the subs the whole time xD. I definitely need to rewatch it.. and not as a mecha anymore.

Anyways, the thing is I didnt understand some things. Guess Ill have to rewatch.

Oh and Ill hafta say this but if were talking about movies, EoE is a god. OP was great and catchy as well but ED I didnt like that much.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:21 pm

I think the story is interesting. The drama of the characters is great. I like the mysterious nature of the the whole thing. I love the music too. As well as the symbolism used. It's hard to pick just one feature of Evangelion and decide that its; the single greatest component of the show.

The slower pacing of the story is great. The lack of magical or super cool/strong characters, that are more realistic is a VERY strong point.

I think the underlying psychology is what make the characters so interesting to watch. Therefore, I think the psychology and the abstract psychological devices used in the show are it's strongest point.

It elevates the show from just being an anime to a kind of avant garde work of art.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:31 pm

The strongest point of the series would have to be the moments when we get to see what's going on in the characters' heads. And not just talking to themselves; watching the subway scenes as well as the scenes in EoTV26 where Shinji's just talking with white, wiggly lines is amazing.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 pm

That's exactly the type of stuff I'm referring to with the use of psychological devices. I think it's great and have yet to see a show (anime or otherwise) that does stuff like that! :D
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:03 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:The strongest point of the series would have to be the moments when we get to see what's going on in the characters' heads.

The psychology of these characters is why I love Evangelion so much.
Just the raw emotions one gets from those senses is some pretty powerful shit.
To finally see the 'inner workings' of Shinji, Misato & Asuka after getting to know them for 20+ episodes
To get to see them get broken down like that and show their true feelings & insecurities
thrown out on the table is kinda crazy since not many tv shows do this.

I will say, however I did tear up a little during Asuka's mental breakdown because I think I can relate to her struggles...if only a little
Last edited by Dataprime on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:I will say, however I did tear up a little during Asuka's mental breakdown because I think I can relate to her struggles...if only a little

I was tearing up too, but it was with laughter. I may have enjoyed that scene a teensy bit more than I was supposed to. :sweatdrop:

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 am

eva doesn't have any strongest points

it's overrated dribble
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:eva doesn't have any strongest points

it's overrated dribble

:cheers:
Worst anime ever!

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 am

For TV show:
1) Subtext-
There is just so much and its all done so god damn well. As a kid I was pretty good at critical analysis and had a decent grasp of show for a first/casual viewing but I completely underestimated the show. After going online to see what other people had to say I was just...very very pleasantly surprised. The show is just so rich and not just an anime but for most of every other kind of story telling. Mr. Anno gives people like Frank Kafka and Quentin Tarantino a run for their money when it comes to use of subtext. The show is like the Watchmen/Dark knight Returns of anime but even that almost feels like an understatement. If there was a top 100 list of "Best Story Masterpieces ever from all medians" I would say Evangelion definitely deserves a nomination for a spot on the list. And personally for me it be in my top five, possible number one.

2) Main characters are teenagers-
I was about14-15ish when I first saw it and I was having a rough time with life so it was really easy for me to relate with the characters. It made the show really enjoyable for me in hindsight. The experience was super cathartic at the time.

3) Eva robot concept-
First time I ever saw the show I was about to just ignore it ( 99% of Mecha shows are very lame) but I decided to mindlessly watch it just because I had nothing else to do. The first episode started out pretty boring but when the scene where the Eva 1 gets stabbed in the eye and blood came out happened I was hooked. The idea of a robot bleeding blood instead of oil or something else was intriguing to me. Luckily that scene interested me enough to commit to watching the show.

For Movie:

1)Cinematics -

You can kinda feel that the story was intended for a episode like format, so while the movie is good, the story just isn't as great as it is in the shorter format.That being said, they really went to town and took advantage of the extra money and man power that making a movie requires. I saw the 3rd movie at NY-comicon so the version I saw had pretty good quality and I could honestly say that it had the most epic scene of something falling from the sky/space ever lol. And possibly the best animation I've seen in a single anime action scene ever. The level of quality actually reminded me of the quality Disney used to put into their work when they still made cartoon movies.

2) Similarity to show/hype:
The core story seems to be exactly the same so far to me, so its getting me very excited for the end since I'm curious to see how it will be different, if it actually ends up being different in a non superficial way.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

light444
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby light444 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:idea of a robot bleeding blood instead of oil or something else

Yea it was certainly great, one of my fave scenes is when Touji's Eva goes rampage and Gendou resorted to using Rei's AI to beat the bloody crap out of the black Eva. That was too violent and brutal for a robot scene.. traumatizing xD.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”