Date formats (and other standards that differ by country)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

Date formats (and other standards that differ by country)

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:05 pm

[Split from Recent Hauls. - Monk]

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
Prosit Neujahr

There's no thirty first month, stupid yuropoor. Can't even into death note's right.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:05 am

In some places such as Europe, they write the day first, then the month when they write out dates.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:25 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:There's no thirty first month, stupid yuropoor. Can't even into death note's right.

View Original Postcyharding wrote:In some places such as Europe, they write the day first, then the month when they write out dates.

You mean like almost the whole world

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:

Such a wonderful visual presentation of what I always found almost as retarded as non-commitment to metric syst-

Wait, USA is the ONLY country that does it? hahaha, what the shit.

I think DMY and YMD are both sensible and equally valid systems but MDY makes no sense at all as the image well showcases. I thought this was another bad habit USA picked up from British but either this is some homecooked rule or then euro-anglos saw the light more recently.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:18 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Wait, USA is the ONLY country that does it? hahaha, what the shit.

I think DMY and YMD are both sensible and equally valid systems but MDY makes no sense at all as the image well showcases. I thought this was another bad habit USA picked up from British but either this is some homecooked rule or then euro-anglos saw the light more recently.

It does make some sense if you consider that in spoken english the month usually comes first (only exception I can think of is 4th of july), but yeah, other than that I don't see a reason to organize dates in such an illogical way.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:29 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:In some places such as Europe, they write the day first, then the month when they write out dates.

SPOILER: Show
That's the joke.

Only a country as perfect as Murrica could achieve the balance that that structure wouldn't collapse. You're lucky we didn't make that part of the post WW2 negotiations.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:08 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:There's no thirty first month, stupid yuropoor. Can't even into death note's right.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11 am

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 am

Maybe if a country that used that system won a superbowl we'd consider it. Until then? I don't think so tim.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:49 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Is it that time again?

I'm an American and I support this.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 pm

I-It hurts, please stop :sniffle:

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 pm

And it's not going to change anytime soon. The main reason is that many land measurements are in English units and switching to metric would gum up the works. Hell, I remember when I was a kid, my dad had measure the length of a field in rods.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:18 pm

You're all wrong. Everyone should just use ISO 8601.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Spud » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote: ISO 8601.

The only thing the Marine Corps got right in my opinion. On any legal/admin form in the Corps it has to be written YYYYMMDD. So much easier to understand.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 am

Working in an English office of an American company much of my working life, I've picked up the habit of formatting dates like VAXen used to by default -- so today is 28-NOV-13. Putting the month as short form name disambiguates that bit, and nobody uses short form year as the first entry, so no ambiguity there.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 am

Official British thinking on going completely metric is really messed up. Consider for instance this extract from the official instructions for placing road signs approaching an obstacle:

SPOILER: Show
Yes - signs giving distances in yards to be placed at the numerically similar distances in metres.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:31 am

Yes, it's completely stupid... but that's just how it is here, and trying to change it just confuses the hell out of people. We buy cola by the 2-litre and milk by the gallon, so who the hell knows?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:14 am

And your pints and gallons are different from ours (more logical, actually, though both have roots in different English standards).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:26 am

Meh. 12 months, 30-31 days, thousands of years. Makes perfect sense to me. Not like it matters worth a damn anyway.

As for metric, I've never understood the fuss. Oooh, everything's base 10! Fantastic! But in practical terms it doesn't amount to jack unless you're dealing with the sciences or engineering or such. And honestly, I've always found the jump from small to large to be off-putting -- you go from centimeter to meter and gram to kilogram, with nothing in-between. I much prefer having a foot in-between inches and yards, and the relationship between ounces and pounds is similarly handy.

One thing that always amuses me: even though they're so keen on metric you don't see its champions trying to convert us to 10 or 100 hour days. There's no reason we couldn't do that, but it just doesn't seem as handy as the system we currently use (so easy to break up 12 hours, or 60 minutes . . . very convenient compared to 10). Ease of use has its virtues.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote: ..unless you're dealing with the sciences or engineering or such.

(The basis of modern society)
Leave Shinji alone

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”