Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm confused, Kuma. -o-; I thought you watched some of the 90's anime after reading the manga? Both have their major differences, but I enjoy both equally (probably because I got into both around the same time). I still wish Crystal could have taken the strengths of both to create some ultimate definitive version, but eh, clearly something went down at Toei in the past 2 years since the announcement.

Yes, the Sailor Guardians start out 14/8th grade (13/7th grade with Minako in Codename Sailor V manga) and the series ends with them at 16/10th grade in high school.

I can't find the old "14 years old = Usagi, 18 years old = Konata" image macro (it's a great example!), but SM's looks is partly because the character designs are shoujo. The "panty shots" are just the bottom half of their leotards, and the body lines (which DIC/Cloverway censored--Usagi never had any to censor) honestly isn't any worse than a Barbie doll.

Keep in mind, back in '92, THIS was the target audience (the manga was pre-teens to teens) for Sailor Moon, although the fanbase gradually became THIS within the year, Christmas '93. Nobody expected it to become a hit with adult male fans (all the doujinshi, garage kits, etc, etc,) since Naoko's idea was a combination of a Sentai team mashed with Mahou Shoujo.

Fun fact: A lot of the Sailor Moon seiyuu starred in this gritty show about a year before SM happened! Surprised the cast info isn't filled out...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I guess you're going to have to avoid most anime, as the over-18 age cohort is regarded as positively geriatric by default. Especially avoid mahou shoujo, even ones actually aimed at little girls like Princess Tutu.

To be entirely honest, Tines, I tend to avoid watching most anime series unless there's a good chance that I'll actually like it. Feel free to count me among the "geriatrics"! :lol:

I'm confused, Kuma. I thought you watched some of the 90's anime after reading the manga?

Only the first couple of episodes, and those were clunky (the one where Umino gets corrupted and peeks under his teacher's skirt was revolting), and I'd resorted to watching scenes from out of order - like Uranus, Neptune and Pluto turning up, for instance. It wasn't until I simply jumped past the episodes that were annoying me to Mars' intro that I found it a whole lot better. I did read the Sailor Moon manga, and I can see where Crystal is coming from the personality front. I've got to say that the anime personalities are a lot funnier.

The anorexic designs from Crystal put me off at first but I got used to them pretty quickly, and it's actually nice to see the girls looking their age rather than drawn in the spindly Shoujo style that Naoko uses - although I'm not against the Shoujo style in general, there are Shoujo series that have quite a lot going for them style-wise (The classic Rose of Versailles. being one of them).

The background info looks to be very interesting. The Sailor Moon manga always seemed far too dark to really fit with its target audience, and Chibi-Usa didn't actually help. Well, I guess these things don't always turn out like they're supposed to...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Feel free to count me among the "geriatrics"! :lol:
I was referring to the characters, not the viewers.

There are some anime where the main cast are old enough to have left school, but not very many; and even in some of those, ageist jokes are made at the characters' expense (Dirty Pair OVAs, passim).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:There are some anime where the main cast are old enough to have left school, but not very many; and even in some of those, ageist jokes are made at the characters' expense (Dirty Pair OVAs, passim).

Which is a rather foolish form of discrimination to include given the number of adult viewers of anime, unless it's meant as a deliberate dig at their tastes.

Looking back at my viewing list, my tastes tend to hover around anime that don't feature ordinary high school students or characters of that age.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:34 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Well, I guess these things don't always turn out like they're supposed to...

Indeed! The Codename: Sailor V manga was created first, but then talks for a Sailor V anime series led Naoko to create Sailor Moon...Too bad the V anime OVA never went through! :sweatdrop: Codename Sailor V is mostly lighthearted, but gets somewhat serious in its final chapter.

There are certainly personalty differences between the Sailor Moon 90's anime and Naoko's manga cast (they might be more likeable more one way than another, depending on your preference, though their core personality is the same*) That reminds me, hope you did read the Side Stories along with the Sailor V manga? They're either good fun or give background on certain characters, depending on what you're reading.

*Personally, I prefer the manga versions of Chibiusa and Rei to their anime counterparts.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:59 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:*Personally, I prefer the manga versions of Chibiusa and Rei to their anime counterparts.

Haven't watched any of the Chibiusa episodes (not too fond of the character, personally), but the hotheaded anime Rei is hilarious in a way that her more serious manga counterpart isn't, and I love the way Rei and Usagi bicker with one another!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:and I love the way Rei and Usagi bicker with one another!

I probably mentioned way back in my reaction posts to Crystal episodes how much I loved those moments. The sparks flying as they stick their tongues out at each other is an enduring image from the original series. There were definitely times that it felt almost sad, though, and I remember it sometimes feeling like the animosity between them was actually getting serious and it made me uneasy. But I could just as easily have been merely projecting my own teenaged insecurities of the time.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:There were definitely times that it felt almost sad, though, and I remember it sometimes feeling like the animosity between them was actually getting serious and it made me uneasy.

Real friends break up and then make up even stronger than before. The very fact that they remain friends in spite of the animosity between them is a good thing. It's not like now where the present stereotype appears to be something like "You have to like A,B,C,D and E like me and never have any serious disagreement about any of these with me because like ZOMG they are so awesome squeee!!!111 and Team Edward wins over Team Jacob otherwise you suckxx xoxo" We've become far too obsessed with being like one another and not being able to handle disagreements and that's something that I personally regret. Heck, if Evangelion is any sign of things, you can't have any friendship without conflict of some kind.

And that brings me back to the old SM anime - they really seemed to know how to hit it off with one another. Maybe it's the effect of Crystal corrupting my memory of the Manga with "dark energy" but the fact that the senshi in the more "serious" adaptations seem to get along a little too well detracts from them as characters.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:30 am

Crystal's definitely making you misremembering things--be sure to give the manga a re-read when you can. At Barnes and Noble or some local libraries. Scans are online but the official deal is best.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 pm

So anyone here besides me seen SuperS? I got a lot to say about that series myself.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:31 pm

I've seen all the crucial episodes + SuperS Special; I just haven't seen all the episodes fansubbed or via Pioneer DVD because I didn't have a lot of time at that point (the way I watched the Japanese series back in the day was kind of out of order due to what fansubs/legit stuff I could find).

I do enjoy SuperS for the comedy, though somehow the Cloverway dub managed to make the uncomfortable rape allegories even more uncomfortable. (I didn't get to see much of S and SS dub when it was on Toonami, we didn't have cable at home then.)

Still, SuperS did irk me how some characters (like Usagi) seem to take a step backwards; it just reverts to the bickering between her and Chibiusa from R or parts of S. :um:

Thankfully VIZ uploading all the subbed episodes onto Hulu/Neon Alley means I can actually watch any of the episodes I missed!

Kuma: Oh yeah, when you do reread the manga, the order I'd recommend is Codename Sailor V (2 volumes), Sailor Moon (12 volumes), then Sailor Moon Short Stories (2 volumes).

By the way, you know the fun fact of Anno having animated Haruka and Michiru's transformation scenes, right?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 pm

These early episodes before the rest of the team appears sporadically are a bit of a chore to get through quickly since I find it hard to believe that Usagi is a force to be reckoned with at this period on her own. All that happens is the demons keep forcing her to retreat and Jadeite can't be affected by her Moon Tiara. The side characters like Naru, Umino, and Miss Haruna are the ones that keep me coming back for more with them being taken advantage of in funny ways by the gatherers of human energy.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:09 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm confused, Kuma. -o-; I thought you watched some of the 90's anime after reading the manga? Both have their major differences, but I enjoy both equally (probably because I got into both around the same time). I still wish Crystal could have taken the strengths of both to create some ultimate definitive version, but eh, clearly something went down at Toei in the past 2 years since the announcement.

Yes, the Sailor Guardians start out 14/8th grade (13/7th grade with Minako in Codename Sailor V manga) and the series ends with them at 16/10th grade in high school.

I can't find the old "14 years old = Usagi, 18 years old = Konata" image macro (it's a great example!), but SM's looks is partly because the character designs are shoujo. The "panty shots" are just the bottom half of their leotards, and the body lines (which DIC/Cloverway censored--Usagi never had any to censor) honestly isn't any worse than a Barbie doll.

Keep in mind, back in '92, THIS was the target audience (the manga was pre-teens to teens) for Sailor Moon, although the fanbase gradually became THIS within the year, Christmas '93. Nobody expected it to become a hit with adult male fans (all the doujinshi, garage kits, etc, etc,) since Naoko's idea was a combination of a Sentai team mashed with Mahou Shoujo.

Fun fact: A lot of the Sailor Moon seiyuu starred in this gritty show about a year before SM happened! Surprised the cast info isn't filled out...

Oh god, I just remembered how painful Usagi's singing voice is.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:07 pm

rewatched some of sailor moon again cause im bored, felt like reposting this old gif again:
SPOILER: Show
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I planning on watching this show at some point. Especially now since the original Japanese version is up on Hulu for free.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:48 pm

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:09 am post:

SPOILER: Show
Silliness from my brand new SM Twitter aside (Please Follow & RT if you want fun news :D ), I can't wait until the news about SM HD this coming Monday! Here's the official site:

____

New post!! HD Sailor Moon was on Japanese TV last night ^_^ Based on what others have said, there's some loss of detail, but it's a lot better than VIZ's release:

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:47 pm

That looks pretty good! Now if only the series was getting released in this country at all...Ah well, I guess I'll have to hang onto my poor-quality, hard-drive-space-eating torrent a while longer...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 01, 2015 12:08 am

April 6th post:

I'm hoping VIZ'll eventually do a re-release of Toei's HD release, but assuming Toei'll do a Season 1 (etc?) BD box + reverse importation fears, I'd figure VIZ wouldn't be able to release Toei's stuff until late 2016/early 2017 the earliest?

Hope to be proven wrong, of course :wink:

New post:

New SeraMyu (Sailor Moon Musical) dates, etc out! If subtitle glasses for musicals really will be a thing in Japan, that should be amazing for anybody attending.

Time for Infinity arc, space lesbians, and the apocalypse, wooo! Though, the "5 Sailor Senshi graduating" poster line makes me wonder if it's poetic for the story or if they'll be cast changes afterwards... :(

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed May 06, 2015 4:47 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I guess you're going to have to avoid most anime, as the over-18 age cohort is regarded as positively geriatric by default. Especially avoid mahou shoujo, even ones actually aimed at little girls like Princess Tutu.

The over-18 age cohort? Don't you mean the whole seinen demographic?
EDIT: Oh, I see. You're talking about the characters.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 14, 2015 11:34 pm

♪ This warm feeling is cest la vie

Sailor V SH Figuarts is getting an October release in Japan! I guess the U.S. release will be 2 months after, as usual for the figure line. Hopefully, the release order will be [Tuxedo Mask and Chibi Moon, THEN] Super Sailor Moon, Sailor V, Pluto, then Zoisite/fake Sailor Moon and whoever else. Everybody's gotta have Plu to complete the team!

Also, the new SeraMyu is confirmed for Infinity arc....

Space Lesbians, ahoy!  SPOILER: Show

As long as the Myus continue (and in takarazuka revue style!) and do their own take of Dream and Stars, I'll be happy.

Return to “Anime and Manga”