3.0's First Anniversary!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

3.0's First Anniversary!

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:49 pm

(Yes, I'm aware this was technically yesterday.)

HAPPY EVANGELIVERSARY, EVERYONE!!!

So, what were you doing about this time last year? Were you unable to function from the hype? The thing I remember most is that on the 16th I actually locked my office/printer room in order to watch the first 6 minutes at work, then watched it again when my office-mate got there. I think I then spent the rest of the weekend (and the following six months) trying not to get spoilerified.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Exactly one year ago I was fucked, by Q spoilers. :'(

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Damn, it's been a full year and we're still answering questions about 3.33.

CJD
Banned

Re: 3.0's One Year Anniversary!

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Hardly an accomplishment considering it's been almost twenty years and we're still answering questions about NGE.

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:HAPPY EVANGELIVERSARY, EVERYONE!!!

So is this like one of those holidays where the point isn't to celebrate and get people gifts but instead to mourn and remember the lost? I hate those.

Anyway, let's see. One year ago... I don't think I woke up until the afternoon so that means around this time I was still reading through the spoiler thread. Likely I was somewhere between "Mari is Shinji and Asuka's daughter from the future." and "Asuka and Shinji hold hands in the ending." In a few hours it'll be a year since I was in shock, and by the end of tomorrow it should be the anniversary of when I entered one of the worst depressive episodes I'd had in years.

So yea, to celebrate the anniversary of when I died a little inside I'm going to go get a drink. Cheers. :chug:
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:24 pm

I was having to keep the place from melting down, keeping the new Q sub-forum afloat, and also recording the number of people visiting.

Also, thread title fixed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I was having to keep the place from melting down, keeping the new Q sub-forum afloat, and also recording the number of people visiting.

Don't forget the massive anal devastation among certain members upon finding out the plot, the time skip, Shin-can's war criminal status and the general unease about accidentally spoiling the movie for others that would lead to a (temporally) insta-ban for some. It was also to the point that NO images and fanart pertaining to the film (including avatars) could be posted unless in the Q sub-forum.

:lol:

For me, this was the movie that made me the Evangelion fan I am to day (to a degree) and loyal to the franchise.....And that was only a year ago. I remember the awesome trailer with Utada Hikaru's Sakura Nagashi, the speculations, the theories, the fanwank, the fear of Asuka's alleged death. I remember that awful, crappy camrip and the excitement of the importing the JPN blu-ray. Good times, good times.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:08 pm

More than anything I remember hearing Sakura Nagashi for the first time and thinking "f-yea eva, you've done it again'

That and the character designs getting released, and that prompted this thought, "Pffft forget Team Blue, Red, and Mari, Sakura trumps those losers!

SPOILER: Show
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:04 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:That and the character designs getting released, and that prompted this thought, "Pffft forget Team Blue, Red, and Mari, Sakura trumps those losers!

And to this day I'm still wondering why Sakura's got the sniffles. Seriously, why was that even put in? She was a perfectly lovable character up until that point for me.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:06 pm

It's a common gesture that shows up pretty often in anime and manga.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:16 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's a common gesture that shows up pretty often in anime and manga.

Oh? I don't watch enough anime/ read enough manga to know... So it is supposed to be cute? Because I was all like "Hey dis Sakura chick is kind of... "*sniffleshot* "ok nvm"
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 pm

From what I understand it's kind of a modesty/shyness thing. Sort-of an "aww shucks" equivalent.

It comes up when Shinji asks to make sure she's the younger sister and not the older one like she appears to be. Sakura apperently takes this as a compliment of maturity?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 pm

View Original Postmonitoradiation wrote:Oh? I don't watch enough anime/ read enough manga to know... So it is supposed to be cute? Because I was all like "Hey dis Sakura chick is kind of... "*sniffleshot* "ok nvm"

You know you love it. :devil:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 pm

A year ago I finally realized that Anno was not making Eva into all panty shots & cuties cooking for their crushes. That Eva was still Eva.

That so many people got their panties in a bunch over the film - which months later I finally saw & see as a work of art - makes it all the sweeter!

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:A year ago I finally realized that Anno was not making Eva into all panty shots & cuties cooking for their crushes. That Eva was still Eva.

That so many people got their panties in a bunch over the film - which months later I finally saw & see as a work of art - makes it all the sweeter!

It still blows my mind that 2.22 was given flack hard around here, especially after i read a few comments compared to what the internet has given it outside of this forum. O.o

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 pm

I enjoyed 2.22 A LOT. But it was mostly frothy & light-hearted. Still, I was always positive that Anno had an overall plan in mind & that the kitsch of 2.22 was all to serve a point. 3.0 confirmed my suspicions & reaffirmed my believe in Anno as one of the top 5 filmmakers in the world.

Basically November 17, 2012 was a good day!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:30 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Basically November 17, 2012 was a good day!

It was the day this forum's collective brain broke (I had a use-it-or-lose-it vacation day, so I was able to watch all the goings on). It was the most fun I have ever spent here.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:and also recording the number of people visiting.

What was the offical tally for that day? I really got the feeling that a lot of people were relying on us to find out what happened.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:42 pm

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:It still blows my mind that 2.22 was given flack hard around here, especially after i read a few comments compared to what the internet has given it outside of this forum. O.o

I never got it either, the idea of eva having any funny/happy/badass moments apparently was just too far out for some. Cuz, you know, the show never had any happy/funny/fan service at all.... nope, none.

(Now if there was, its not like it went away at the half-point to make way for a total serious tone...... like 3.0......... So, yea haters are right, rebuild isn't progressing at all like the show, and just a complete mess) :bs:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:21 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:What was the offical tally for that day? I really got the feeling that a lot of people were relying on us to find out what happened.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:As it happened, the high-water mark counter broke under the load -- I kept a series of screen-captures at the real peak, and the record was actually at least 325 --

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Don't forget...
Those are details that came under the big headings.

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:It still blows my mind that 2.22 was given flack hard around here, especially after i read a few comments compared to what the internet has given it outside of this forum. O.o
Mainly to do with one major character being replaced by two other girls.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:35 am

And today is the anniversary of my joining evageeks :wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:34 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And today is the anniversary of my joining evageeks :wink:

Hooray!!!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”