Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

The Wind Rises

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:11 pm

So I went and saw this movie on Sunday. It was probably one of the best animated films that I have ever seen.
Giant spoilers for the movie  SPOILER: Show
The film opens with a great dream sequence that I realized was a dream sequence almost immediately. It's a great introduction to the animation that the movie uses, and it also demonstrates the analogue vocal effects for the planes (awesome). The first few minutes about the film are really about Jiro's childhood. It's good stuff. After that, it jumps to Jiro as a young adult, on a train getting ready to design planes. There's an earthquake that hits during that scene; the way it was done was so interesting that I wished I could have watched it another few times just to grasp it fully. From there on out, the film is about Jiro designing planes, watching them fail, and eventually meeting the girl that he loves. Some people have complained that the film is too slow-paced, but I honestly felt that it was perfect.

Dream sequences are a big part of the film. Jiro is constantly dreaming along with Italian aircraft designer Caproni, who helps him find inspiration for the Zero. When he isn't dreaming with Caproni, he's always visualizing the planes that he's built or the ones he wants to build. It's quite good.

The animation is amazing. There isn't as much footage of the planes in action as I would have liked to have seen, but the movie more than makes up for that in the way the rest of the film is done. Visually, it's a complete masterpiece.

Along the way, there's a 15-minute sequence or so about the hell that cones after an earthquake. The scenes are very down to earth, and there isn't much of Miyazaki's trademark fantasylands. However, it's interesting to see how he tackles more realistic situations.

It's got laughs and it has feels. Really, it's just everything you need for an excellent Miyazaki movie.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm so hype to see this. How long was it?
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:52 pm

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I'm so hype to see this. How long was it?
Running time is 126 mins so about 2 hours of film minus the credits.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Cool. Anime films are usually so short.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 pm

The film was 2 hours 15 minutes, without having absurdly long credits. Also, I forgot to mention that I'm willing to answer any questions about the movie. -o-;

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:33 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Also, I forgot to mention that I'm willing to answer any questions about the movie. -o-;

Hereeee comeees :3:
-Was Anno a good voice actor?
-The best Ghibli film or not?
-Did it feel like any other Miyazaki film?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:49 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'm willing to answer any questions about the movie. -o-;
When's it going to be playing locally to me? (Well, that is a question about the movie...)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:-Was Anno a good voice actor?

He was amazing. I was really surprised that he had never acted before. Anno's got a really youthful voice, for a guy that's 53 years old.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:-The best Ghibli film or not?

No, that would have to go to Nausicaa. However, I will say that it is among their best, as well as one of the best animated films that I have ever seen.

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:-Did it feel like any other Miyazaki film?

It was more based in the real world than any of his other films have been. There are a lot of dream sequences throughout the film, which may be how Miyazaki was able to get in his supernatural kicks. However, it did have a Miyazaki vibe to it. I'm not sure how I would explain it, but it does feel like a Miyazaki.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:When's it going to be playing locally to me? (Well, that is a question about the movie...)

Probably some time in February, when it will be dubbed. If there is an European film festival that I have not heard of, it might be shown there (but you'll have to keep your own eyes open for that one.)

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:He was amazing. I was really surprised that he had never acted before. Anno's got a really youthful voice, for a guy that's 53 years old.

He has, but mostly cameos and such.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:No, that would have to go to Nausicaa. However, I will say that it is among their best, as well as one of the best animated films that I have ever seen.

Nausicaa-brofist.
I can't wait to see this movie, though. It's unlikely to ever air where I live (unless it pulls off a Spirited Away and wins an Oscar), but I'll watch it the second it gets released on BD.
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 pm

So, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was cast as Jiro in the english dub

then came this

Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:47 am

So Jiro will be incalculably better acted in English dub. That's kinda cool and very rare.

No idea what he's getting at with "Yes his perf exclnt!"

pikadourei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pikadourei » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 am

Can't wait to see this, it looks promising.

About Anno never having acted.. wasn't he Miyu Miyu in FLCL?
My love explodes all over the world~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 am

View Original Postpikadourei wrote:About Anno never having acted.. wasn't he Miyu Miyu in FLCL?

That doesn't really count.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:35 am

View Original PostXard wrote:So Jiro will be incalculably better acted in English dub. That's kinda cool and very rare.

No idea what he's getting at with "Yes his perf exclnt!"
Are you confused by the abbreviations or are you confused about why he thought Anno's performance was excellent?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't get the abbreviations myself. "His performance was excellent"?

Looking forward to this too. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:43 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:"His performance was excellent"?

Ooooooooooh now it makes sense. Yea I was WTFing at what he was saying too (also whether he was referring to Anno or Evangelion with it), but yea "his performance was excellent" is almost certainly it. Fkn Twtr.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:23 pm

People have to be creative to get by the 140 character limit. Twitter is home to plenty of terse, spirited discourse. If you can call it that. You can't.
Last edited by caragnafog dog on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I thought all young people today were hip to txt spk.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Announced yesterday on Madman's Facebook page: it'll be coming to Australian cinemas probably in February, and probably showings with the subtitles and showings with the dub.
Voluntary Illusion.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I thought all young people today were hip to txt spk.

Apparently not, judging by all the major WTF reactions to the comments. Great choice for the English dub, though.

Return to “Anime and Manga”