3.0 to hit North American theaters in January 2014

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:59 pm

I just got back from the showing in South Florida. That was the worst dub I've ever seen and that comes from a guy who has seen the Devilman and Violence Jack OVAs dubbed. Not to mention that the mixing was so messed up that you could barely hear the music. What a trainwreck

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 am

Do any of you guys know if it was a theatrical print or just a BD being projected on the screen?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 am

IMO, the dub was better than ADV or Manga's translations. Wonky in a few places (like 1.0 and 2.0 were), but overall I enjoyed it.

The screening was split up into 2 rooms, ours (the one Zap and I went to) seemed pretty packed.

I didn't see any freebies like stickers or postcards, but I kept our ticket stubs at least. Alamo Drafthouse is serious about their no talk/text policy, but there weren't any rule-breakers.

30 minutes before the showing, there were various things on screen: shorts of Gundam (Seed?) figures beating each other up ("Thank you for watch!"), tons of sentai robot toy commercials, the NGE OP (I'm assuming from Platinum?), the Rahxephon OP, Funi's crazy 2.0 trailer, a Japanese trailer for Roujin Z (Very funny if you haven't seen it), etc.

No God Warrior short, the film just went straight into 3.0. IIRC, the theatrical showing was the same as 1.0 and 2.0 where the credits, tel-ops, etc were left in Japanese. Too bad they didn't have a subtitle for Toji's shirt; that probably threw a lot of people off.

Some dub stuff if people want to stay surprised  SPOILER: Show
A particularly hilarious line:

"He's not an idiot, he's an aaaaashole!" - Asuka, after Mark.09 takes Shinji to Nerv.

Kaworu pronounced his own name as "Cow-wo-ru" (:huh:) but Shinji pronounced it properly (Kao-ru).

Wille (Vil-a) and Wunder (vunda) were pronounced in their proper German names, as far as I could tell.

Maya didn't say anything about hating men, just ordering people around and complaining how they were all time-pressed ("Don't give me that crap!" (snip) "I know that already!").

Asuka and Mari in particular seemed feisty (there was swearing from various characters in tense situations), but IMO it worked, considering all the crap they went through.

The dub retained characters (Shinji, Rei, Kaworu) calling each other by their first names like they have so far in the New Movies, so during the scene where Shinji and Kaworu go on a first name basis (Kaworu convincing Shinji to pilot Evangelion 13), Shinji says Kaworu is his best friend. In the same scene, Kaworu mentions he's always thinking about Shinji, which resulted in lots of giggles.

Asuka and Mari referred to each other as "Princess" and "Four Eyes". Mari called Shinji by his name instead of "Nerv's puppy" when she ejects his entry plug.

During the Next Time Preview, the final title was rendered something along the lines of "New Evangelion Theatrical Edition".
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:02 am

Just got back from the South Florida (Fort Lauderdale) screening, and I really enjoyed Jerry Jewell's performance as Kaworu (except for the fact that he can't pronounce his own name). One interesting thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that FUNimation decided to refer to the spears as the Lances of Longinus and Cassius.
Do a barrel roll!

oldthinker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby oldthinker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:47 am

I was at the Clearwater, FL showing tonight: the theater there (Clearwater Cinema Cafe) showed the subbed version, and man, was it fantastic. Had a great time, got to meet some surprisingly good cosplayers, and had beer and pizza while I watched.

There was what might have been considered a translation error when Sakura (or was it Midori?) shouts at Shinji right before he gets taken by Eva-00 (and later repeated in a mental breakdown when Shinji is laying in his room after learning the truth from Kaworu.) The subtitles read: "Promise you won't pilot Evas no more!" I wasn't sure if this was reflective of a more relaxed, colloquial dialect of Japanese or just a grammatical error made by the translators. Perhaps someone can offer insight into this.
Oldthink is crimethink.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:43 am

The theater here in GA's dates and times are STILL TBA and its getting fucking annoying.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:31 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:^2003? See, 3.0 is a prequel like that other thread is discussing. ;)

The truth is I'm actually a time traveler.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:[URL=http://imgur.com/yVIaWa3][/URL]

Hahah oh wow they changed it on their posters too. Wonder if someone pointed out the problem or if they just wanted a different tagline.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Alchemicalnight2012
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Alchemicalnight2012 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey, just popping in here to let everyone know Eleven Arts has added a later screening in Gulf Breeze, (5 minutes from Pensacola) Florida :

https://www.facebook.com/events/465953030176809/ (RSVP)

Info ! :

TWO NIGHTS ONLY

FRIDAY 1/31/13 - 9:30 P.M. - SUBBED VERSION
SATURDAY 2/1/13 - 9:30 P.M. - DUBBED VERSION

Movies 4 Gulf Breeze is located at 1175 Gulf Breeze Parkway.

Tickets are $10, and we'll have some goodies to giveaway too. I work as a projectionist over here and it took a bit of struggle but I managed to convince who I needed to convince. Hope to see some of you there!
Hey!

Unit09
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Unit09 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Went to the first of two screenings in San Diego. Had a full room, a decent Rei cosplayer, and a theater employee that introduced the film as "Evan-Geh-Lion". Good crowd. They laughed the second they heard Kaworu's voice though. And at most of Shinji and Kaworu's time together. Even laughed at some of Rei's dialogue.

Dub was alright. Ikari sounded a bit off, but not bad. Asuka isn't that great. Kaworu was initially off-putting but I warmed up to him.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:33 pm

View Original PostJB2448 wrote:FUNimation decided to refer to the spears as the Lances of Longinus and Cassius.

The Japanese version mentions the Spears too, though dub Kaworu's pronunciation of the Spears is another quirk I forgot to mention. Here's where we first found out about Cassius (Kaworu's Mark.06 spear).

View Original PostUnit09 wrote:They laughed the second they heard Kaworu's voice though. And at most of Shinji and Kaworu's time together.

A lot of people giggled at Kaworu's lines, and his voice when we first heard him speak.

Out of curiosity, anybody here going to tonight's subbed showings in Houston or Katy?

Stealth Yoshi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stealth Yoshi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:51 am

Another attendee from San Diego's first screening here. It was fun. The dub was fine to me. I kept being reminded of Kagami Hiiragi (dub) in some of Asuka's lines (reminded me of Kari Wahlgren at some points). The crowd's biggest laughter moment was on Kaworu's line that went like, "all I do is think about you". Couldn't help but laugh with them on that one.

I definitely noticed Kaworu's pronunciation of "Longinus". At first, I thought they were calling it something new, but then I realized it was being pronounced 'lonj-EYE-nus' :um:

Funi also missed a chance to subtitle the name on the shirt that was "too big" for Shinji. I know it says Suzuhara (or Suzuhara Touji) from a sub I watched a while back, but I think Shinji's reaction was lost on some of those who may know who Touji is, but have not seen Q before. Hopefully that will be included in the retail discs, even if you choose to watch dub.

Very fun overall. My first anime film that I've seen in theaters, and hope to attend more in the future (Missed Madoka Rebellion, at the same theater, only a month ago :facepalm: )

TIWIH777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TIWIH777 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:30 am

Well, just got back from a 3 hour drive from greensboro, NC where I saw the dub. My first time seeing an anime in a theater. Was disappointed about how small the room and screen were, literally just the blu ray in a PS3 lol. Mind was blown. Still is blown. Considering I only just first watched and marathoned the original series two weeks ago, it was certainly an experience. Ill probably be on here trying to understand what I just watched haha
Let's do this.

StormSky92
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby StormSky92 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:55 am

Watched it at midnight at the Louisville showing. It was pretty awesome. Everyone laughed at every awkward Shinji/Kaworu moment. But later on, when Kaworu went pop, the theater went dead silent and some people gasped. The best part was the end when someone yelled out "Now I understand everything." It was a sold out showing, so I really hope the 4th movie gets shown there too, so I don't have to drive to Indianapolis like I do for the Madoka movie.

ProjectFreelancer64
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ProjectFreelancer64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:35 am

I saw 3.0 at the Scotiabank theatre here in Montreal, It was pretty captivating watching Eva on the big screen (Even though it was just playing through a Blu-Ray) and the crowd was good. Whether it was intentional or not, we all laughed at Asuka calling Shinji an asshole, and Kaworu actions coupled with his regal voice was pretty funny, yet he remained a comforting presence all the same.

I saw the movie with one of my friends who isn't nearly into Eva as much as I am,(He isn't a big fan of the tv show and thinks EoE is stupid, but he really likes the Rebuild films) but it was fun giving him little pieces of info and theories at certain parts in the movie. Even though 3.0 isn't as straightforward as the other films, he still rather enjoyed it, so that was cool.

As for myself, although my first choice would be to watch the film in Japanese with subtitles, I think seeing it in my native language got a couple bits of information across to me quicker, and because of that I now appreciate the film more than the last time I saw it, naysayers be damned. :D
Whaddup, G?

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:49 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Wille (Vil-a) and Wunder (vunda) were pronounced in their proper German names, as far as I could tell.

Not quite but surprisingly good. (I watched it ... let's say via magic)
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:54 am

Watched it Friday night at a little place called The Screening Room in Amherst, NY (near Buffalo). Nice little place, might consider going to more events there. Anyway, I enjoyed the dub. Funimation seems to be handling it really well. Makes me kind of wish it was possible for them to re-dub the original series. I feel like they probably wouldn't screw it up. Mari had the best lines, and I liked how they chose to translate some lines. ("At least acknowledge that I blew your head off!") Also, I giggled at Kitakami's voice, since my wife and I have been watching the Fairy Tail dub, and Tia Ballard also voices Happy from that series, which was all I could hear when she talked.

So yeah. Positive experience. Can't wait for the DVD.

Yokai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yokai » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:09 pm

I went to the theater in Portland Oregon last Friday and it was enjoyable minus a few set backs. The image from the Evangelion subreddit sums it up nicely:
[url]http://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/comments/1uzf5s/evangelion_333_the_theatrical_experience_in_one/[/url]

It's unfortunate, but it seems like sometimes people can hold themselves back and be a bit mature.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:33 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Too bad they didn't have a subtitle for Toji's shirt; that probably threw a lot of people off.

Did Funi's subbed version include a subtitle for Toji's shirt?

The film was 3.0 proper (all the Japanese tel-ops, credits, etc were kept intact) but I don't see how that would make a difference in adding subs to the dub track. :huh:

______

For those who didn't catch Alamo Drafthouse's Houston/Katy subbed screening of 3.0 on Saturday night, there are encore screenings this week: http://drafthouse.com/movies/evangelion-3.0-you-can-not-redo/houston

From an email wrote:I apologize that we were not able to give better advance notice about the subbed version of the film being shown on Saturday. The studio offered us the opportunity to play the subbed version on Tuesday after we asked them for permission to add encore screenings of the film on Saturday. I wish we could have had that option earlier - so we could have given our guests more advance notice. That said, we are adding an encore screening this week at each theater for the subbed version. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and promise we will do everything in our power to give more advance notice in the future.

I don't think I'll go check it out since seeing the dub on the big screen was enough for me (and 2 tickets + food = ~$40 total) until I get nab Funi's Bluray.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:49 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:A particularly hilarious line:

"He's not an idiot, he's an aaaaashole!" - Asuka, after Mark.09 takes Shinji to Nerv.

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Mari had the best lines, and I liked how they chose to translate some lines. ("At least acknowledge that I blew your head off!")

:rofl:
Oh man, that dub seems hysterical! Makes me thinking into seeing it in French to see if they added as much swearing as in the subtitles, which has pearls as Mari calling Mark.09 "bitch" and Shinji telling to everyone to go fuck themselves just before calling for Rei! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Were there any F-bombs in the english dub?

or was Assuka's asshole comment the worst of it?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”