What anime are you watching right now? Nov 2013

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Fri May 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Wait, are you saying there are people who DON'T like Love Live?!? Are you trying to ruse me?
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 09, 2014 2:02 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:One does not simply drop a show when one has already watched over two thirds of it.
It does take special circumstances, but I've done it a couple of times (Bokurano and Madoka).

On a more positive note, I just finished JoJo/Battle Tendency and Joseph is clearly best JoJo even without his pokemon. And all vampire movies need superior German engineering.

A fine adaptation of the manga, which anyone who doesn't mind the continual fisticuffs should watch.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Fri May 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Stroheim is just the best.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri May 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Motto To LOVE-Ru Eps. 1-5
^Momo :heart: is the only reason why I keep watching this crappy anime.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 pm

I stopped after the first season. I should pick it up again (because fanservice), but I'm watching too much atm to even consider it (and have shit like Clannad and Dennou Coil on the list before I get around to crappy fanservice anime).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 am

I thought you already watched Clannad, or is it that you haven't finished it?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 10, 2014 12:45 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I thought you already watched Clannad, or is it that you haven't finished it?

I finished the first arc, then got sidetracked by other things.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mike Mars
Adam

Postby Mike Mars » Sun May 11, 2014 10:46 am

Okay, I just finished watching Gurren Lagann last night, and I have never seen an anime that has pissed me off as much as that one has. I thought the entire show was great, up until the last three minutes of the final episode.

SPOILER: Show
I don't have a problem with bittersweet endings, or even downright depressing ones for that matter. What I have a problem with though, is that Gurren Lagann presented it as a 'happy' ending, only to just kill off Nia out of nowhere at the very tail end for no reason other than to just damper the mood. Her death was just so transparently obvious that the only purpose it served was to make the viewer feel sad.

That's what really pissed me off about this. It's story writing 101. If you're going to manipulate the audience into feeling a certain emotion, you have to at least be subtle about it. If you don't, then it's not really going to invoke any emotion from the viewer other than frustration and anger. Not only that, but it feels almost disrespectful to the viewer. That entire ending was basically the writer saying "Hey, here's your happy ending. Nah, just kidding. Fuck you.".

It's not clever, it's not deep, and it's not thought provoking. It's just contrived.
My earliest childhood memory was getting mugged by Death.

Years later, I started writing this.

As far as I can tell, there is no correlation between the two.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun May 11, 2014 11:44 am

Your first Imaishi anime, I suppose?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mike Mars
Adam

Postby Mike Mars » Sun May 11, 2014 12:21 pm

I've watched a little bit of Kill La Kill. Other than that, yeah it's the only anime I've seen directed by him.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun May 11, 2014 12:43 pm

Yeah you got Imaishi'd. He has a thing for these kind of endings.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 11, 2014 12:44 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Yeah you got Imaishi'd. He has a thing for these kind of endings.

KLK excepted, of course.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun May 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Of course, sort of.

Rest in RIP Senketsu

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun May 11, 2014 12:57 pm

I assume you're either being sarcastic or didn't like Senketsu as a character very much.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Fireball

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 11, 2014 1:09 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Of course, sort of.

Well, Senketsu's fate was sealed from that start. That notwithstanding the MC got a happy ending with her sister and friends and such, which is considerably different from Simon's screw job at the end of TTGL. The two couldn't be more different if they tried.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun May 11, 2014 1:24 pm

You know my position about the conclusion of both shows, I'm just saying, one always gets rused when Imaishi is involved.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 11, 2014 1:29 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:You know my position about the conclusion of both shows, I'm just saying, one always gets rused when Imaishi is involved.

And I agree with you in every particular, good sir. :thumbsup:

Mike Mars
Adam

Postby Mike Mars » Sun May 11, 2014 2:05 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Well, Senketsu's fate was sealed from that start. That notwithstanding the MC got a happy ending with her sister and friends and such, which is considerably different from Simon's screw job at the end of TTGL.

That's another thing that really bothered me about the ending for Gurren Lagann. If there had been some sort of implication that something like that would happen to Nia, then I'd at least be able to accept it. But from what I recall, there is absolutely no mention or implication of her entire existence being bound to the Anti-Spirals until after the fact.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 11, 2014 4:16 pm

The Kaworu act a few episodes earlier wasn't enough of a hint? Never mind -- just tell yourself that this is how the series ended.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mike Mars
Adam

Postby Mike Mars » Sun May 11, 2014 5:25 pm

I mean, yeah she becomes a vessel for the Anti-Sprials and all, but she was still a child born of Earth, and it just never really clicked with me. Maybe on a second viewing I'll pick up more on that stuff.

Like I said though, I really wouldn't have minded them killing her off if it wasn't that they did it in such a stupid and mean spirited way by misleading the audience into thinking there was going to be a happy ending.

To me the ending was like being presented with a fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookie. Then just as its about to be handed to you, the person holding it spits on it, drops it onto the ground, steps on it, and makes you eat it anyways.

Return to “Old Stickies”