Mixing the Original Show with the Rebuild

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

Mixing the Original Show with the Rebuild

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 am

Morning Folks,

I was recently thinking about some real crazy stuff: ;)
I don't really like the rebuilds of Evangelion (I think they miss the point of the original, bla, bla,bla ...) but what i really appreciate about them is the animation. Many (if not all) action scene that are adapted from the original show, are way better animated, paced and staged (of course, they are 12 years and tons of money apart). Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate, if not love the 90s animation style, but I also like to really beautiful new scenes.

So I was thinking: "Hey why don't I try to cut the adapted action-scenes from the rebuild into the original show, since I own them both as DVD and consider myself as a decent hobby cutter." (With hobby cutter I mean that I was involved in the production of many AMVs and other fan made stuff and that I’m able to use after effects, premiere, Vegas, Photoshop, etc. Pretty basic stuff)
It would take a lot of work to not let the rebuild-scenes look ridiculously out of place, (4:3 / 16:9 converting, transition effects, color correction, dub / sub matching (maybe the hardest part), cutting and rendering itself) but if the result is good, why not (let's ignore the legal stuff, because, hell that would be a f*cking mess, but i will deal with that, when it's required)

So I’m asking you: What do you think about this idea? Was someone faster than me and is there already that kind of project?
If I don't get total resistance by you guys ^^ I'm going to "write a script" (which scenes I would replace, basic ideas how to decently cut the transitions and so on) and cut a little "demo".

Thank you in anticipation for possible feedback (doesn't matter if it's positive or negative)

To be honest i already made a little "mind list" of scenes i want to replace / cut in (suggestions are desirable):

SPOILER: Show
    *Sachiel
    *Shamshel
    *Ramiel
    *Sahaquiel
    *Bardiel
    *The consignment of the lance of logines
    *Maybe some scenes from the 2I
    *The "Rei breast scene"
    *Many "headquarter scenes"
    *Some landscape and cross screnes
    *The first and second hostpital scene (maybe)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:28 am

Apart from the bits where there were equivalent Angels and outcomes (so up to Matariel, then Sahaquiel at most), you're getting into deeper mire than even the Concurrency project.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:40 am

There are so many inconsistencies between the two versions, I have no idea what purpose such a project would have.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:42 am

The constant changes in image quality and aspect ratio would get old very quickly as well; that's already an issue with the concurrency projects.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:53 am

The purpose, mh...?

First of all, as I said, I really like the animations and the style of the rebuild. Yeah, the several inconsistencies are a pain in the bum. (I already thought about that and came to the conclusion, that (if this project will ever exist), wouldn't do anything about the minor or visual changes (for example Shamshel: Minigun, legs). The huge differences for example with Sahaquiel or Matariel are a slightly bigger problem. I would try to "cut them out" as good as possible, fill resulting holes with original, slightly edited footage and so on. Maybe the result is incredibly sh*t, maybe it's pretty descent, I don't know (I’d just try it))

The purpose of this (hypothetical) project is fairly simply: a visual update for the show. Since I was really disappointed when I found out, that Rebuild is a reboot, not a remake I always wanted some kind of update for this really incredible show. Furthermore I often hear, that people are irritated by "the lack of explosions" :rolleyes: So I thought, why not give them a EVA with more action and the same genius story and some (probably not existing) EVA-Fans a EVA with better looking fights (if anyone is interested (I’m pretty skeptical about that :D) )

As I said it's just an idea I had in mind for several months, I don't expect it to be something "awesome" or even "good", but I at least want to try it ^^

Thanks for your feedback

Edit: @pwhodges I already thought about that. For the change of the aspect ratio i alread found a solution which i would consider as appropriate. The image quality is truly a bigger problem (but there's probably a solution too)
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:24 am

Don't forget that the designs of the Evas themselves differ between the two productions...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:15 am

I'm starting to see, that my idea has more problems than I thought :lol:

So, I tried building a little "Alpha version" over the weekend and end up with this: (The 16:9 footage is just stretched, there's no sound, I used nearly no visual effects on the video | So it's basically a test if the look itself works together)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmvAs1mhZ5k

To tell you my opinion: At the beginning, the angel looks really inorganic, in the close combat scenes the scenes from the rebuild are looking better than thought. All in all I think I could make it look decent (as I said before matching the styles with color correction, etc.), but it'll cost much time and work ^_^
Now I'm asking you what you think about it. (I'm doing this for a rather small audience, mainly for a friend of mine and if you don't like it there's really no point in putter that much effort into it)
So what do you think ? (I'm rough, you can hit me as hard as you want to ;) )
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 am

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:(The 16:9 footage is just stretched

For the love of all things holy, never, ever do that. Stretching to the wrong aspect ratio is always extremely obvious and bad looking and also disgusting on a subconcious level. Human brains are built for picking out things that look wrong.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Stretching to the wrong aspect ratio is always extremely obvious and bad looking and also disgusting on a subconcious level.

This is presumably why every display of television screens of different aspect ratios in a shop is always showing content (even 4:3) stretched to fill each screen regardless. I mean, why is this even a possible option?

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:So what do you think ? (I'm tough, you can hit me as hard as you want to ;) )

Not a lot, seeing as the video is private.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:the wrong aspect ratio is always extremely obvious and bad looking and also disgusting on a subconcious level

Video that is in the wrong aspect ratio, whether distorted or cropped to another aspect ratio is probably one of the most obvious and annoying things to me.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Not a lot, seeing as the video is private.

For something like this, you should probably have it as Unlisted.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, shit, the video was blocked some hours ago, sorry for that. Youtube was probaly not the best way to go. :facepalm:

http://www.mediafire.com/?e7g5yu5hwideq9h

I streched the aspect ratio just because of a lack of time, if there ever will be a final version (what is pretty unlikly because at the moment you talked me into reasonable doubt), i'll crop the footage with adobe after effects scene by scene to get the best result (I did this with some other projects (not EVA related) before and it looked pretty passable.

Well then, I hope i don't annoy you too much
__

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”