Kaji's pep-talk / guilt trip

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Kaji's pep-talk / guilt trip

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:42 am

Split from Which Shinji do you prefer - NemZ

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:Asuka is actually a lot more nicer.

Misato can be cruel at times though.

Kaji wasn't too far behind, especially with his "you don't deserves to be happy either Shinji" line.
Sure that was to motivate him to pilot again and fight Zeruel, but damn man, the kid's fourteen years old and just lost his best friend!

Serves to show how 2I has hardened certain people though, it was also hinted in NGE through some radio emissions in the background that the people who lived through 2I got a lot more blunt and hardened.
I just hope that if Kaji is alive in FINAL he didn't become someone like that, Shinji really doesn't need someone else to put him down.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:55 am

But that stuff is true though. Kaji isn't lying. Touji did die and death is kinda a big thing. I actually liked that part in the manga because the anime never brings it up ever again and its very vague if Shinji even HAD to kill him anyways. Plus that plug was sticking out like a sore thumb. Plus Touji surviving was weak in the anime anyways and he still got screwed over by Shinji somehow with his leg amputated.

I think Final might have Asuka call him out and she apparently had something happen to her body if I recall correctly with her stomach.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:45 am

Yes, it's true that Shinji should have tried something to save Toji and Kaji was making him realize that he sorta owns to Toji to continue the fight against the Angels, but to say right in his face that he doesn't deserves happiness in his life anymore?!
There were more diplomatic ways to teach him that lesson, he's fourteen and was dragged into this war against his will for fuck's sake!

As for Asuka in FINAL, well what's strange is that Shinji did asked her what happened to her eye, but she rebutted that it was non of his business, even though the glowing strongly suggest that it's an aftermath of Bardiel. Maybe the infection in the eye happened immediately when Bardiel took over and even if had Shinji managed to save her back then it wouldn't had changed the outcome. Besides she already has a lot to call him out with what happened in Q.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:05 am

Kaji did that cause Shinji kept playing the victim and refused to fight. Kaji also has some guilt too and he wasn't lying. You can't let something like the dummy plug slide like that because someones life was taken away. I didn't like how they handled that in the anime where Shinji got off scott free, sure Touji survived but his leg(and possibly back) was destroyed. There was also a way to prevent that causality without resorting to death like it should be.

Also there is lots of worse environments than fighting the angels and Shinji was able to manage just fine in terms of piloting . The fact that he and the children have a social life is better than all the other hell holes in other countries.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:37 am

Kaji talked to him after Bardiel in NGE too, and made him understand that not doing anything isn't a solution and that he can't play the victim afterward if he doesn't try anything, but while in NGE it was by explaining to Shinji what was really at stake in the war against the Angels and trusting him to take the right decision, in the manga he used guilt-trip(exactly like Gendo at the beginning of the story)
And Shinji didn't exactly got off scott free : he did came back to fight, got massacred by Zeruel, then absorbed inside EVA-01 for one month and well, I don't have to explain what happened to him during the rest of the story. Besides it completely shattered his friendship with his schoolmates because the guilt Shinji felt made him unable to face them again.

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:Also there is lots of worse environments than fighting the angels and Shinji was able to manage just fine in terms of piloting . The fact that he and the children have a social life is better than all the other hell holes in other countries.

That's a false argument : people starving in a refugee camp are better off than those living under bombs, so the people in refugee camps shouldn't have the right to complain?
You can't justify everything just because "there is worst thing in other places", and anyway giant alien things happily mind-raping you to insanity scores pretty hight in the scale of "worst things in the world" for me.

As for his piloting, Bardiel is in the top tier of Angels : he managed to literally curb-stomp Asuka and Rei, who have years of training and experience, so you can blame Shinji for staying paralyzed and not trying anything by fear of harming Toji, but not for being unable to defeat Bardiel.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 am

He still blames his father and never acknowledges that he was in someway responsible for Touji's injuries. Kaji also didn't say or imply anything about Touji. So in a sense, Shinji did get off scott free cause he didn't get scold for not doing anything putting 100% blame with his father.

I'm talking about war wise. Yes, there are angels that can mindrape you however Shinji was capable of piloting it and all of that stuff is really nothing compared to being exposed to wars in Africa where children are killing other children left and right. EoE on the other hand is a different story with different circumstances.

Really the whole Bardiel scene was everywhere so its hard to know if he intended a lot of what people defend or imply. I think they fixed it in Rebuild where they said the plug was the core but it was hard to spot.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:35 am

To be fair his Gendo's strategy was criminally retarded : you have three Evangelions against another one infected by an Angel. What do you do : launch a simultaneous attack with your three Evas to use the numerical advantage?
Nope : spread them far apart to form three "defensive lines" so Bardiel could maw them one by one without the other two being able to assist, and expect your rookie son to defeat it all by himself!

Shinji had a fault for not trying anything, but Gendo too is at fault for letting such a situation happen, I know that he's a political and scientific mind and that Misato is the military mind of the group, but damn that was just plain common sense, it makes you wonder if he didn't planned this situation to happen so he could have an excuse to test the Dummy System(his infamous smirk while th DS was massacring EVA-03 not helping)

As yo said the situation in Rebuild was changed by having Shinji the only available pilot to stop Bardiel and Gendo's smirk removed, so that the narrative makes looks like Shinji as more at fault and in need to learn a lessons(which will become pivotal later when it will push him to go fight Zeruel to save Rei) while Gendo look as extremely pragmatic and ruthless instead of a cruel bastard(although his immediate order to Shinji to don't bother about Asuka and go for the kill was borderline, and become far worse in Q than in all of NGE!)

Nightwing
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightwing » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:30 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:To be fair his Gendo's strategy was criminally retarded : you have three Evangelions against another one infected by an Angel. What do you do : launch a simultaneous attack with your three Evas to use the numerical advantage?
Nope : spread them far apart to form three "defensive lines" so Bardiel could maw them one by one without the other two being able to assist, and expect your rookie son to defeat it all by himself!

Shinji had a fault for not trying anything, but Gendo too is at fault for letting such a situation happen, I know that he's a political and scientific mind and that Misato is the military mind of the group, but damn that was just plain common sense, it makes you wonder if he didn't planned this situation to happen so he could have an excuse to test the Dummy System(his infamous smirk while th DS was massacring EVA-03 not helping)

As yo said the situation in Rebuild was changed by having Shinji the only available pilot to stop Bardiel and Gendo's smirk removed, so that the narrative makes looks like Shinji as more at fault and in need to learn a lessons(which will become pivotal later when it will push him to go fight Zeruel to save Rei) while Gendo look as extremely pragmatic and ruthless instead of a cruel bastard(although his immediate order to Shinji to don't bother about Asuka and go for the kill was borderline, and become far worse in Q than in all of NGE!)
Gendo`s strategy reminds me of nine certain Eva`s having a similar strategy
Give me back Ayanami!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:As for Asuka in FINAL, well what's strange is that Shinji did asked her what happened to her eye,

That's probably more indicative of how Asuka now thinks of him, than of whatever actually happened. If anything, his behavior there should shut up anyone claiming that he plain didn't give a fuck about her.

@Topic:

That there could have theoretically been a better/ideal way to do something that a calmer, more mature person may have realized doesn't mean that we can expect anyone, especially not some 14 year old, to instantly come up with that ideal solution.
That "ideal reaction" isn't always identical with "average human reaction" should not really need saying.
It's not like there was really a concious choice involved, he just froze up completely and went into complete refusal mode because he couldn't make one.

That he's refusing some authority figure in favor of someone's life is already an indication of him having quite a noble streak somewhere (google "milgram experiment"), but it's still quite untempered and mixed with naivity, this typical thing teenagers don't realize that when you point out a problenm, you need to come up with an alternate solution that's actually better, and a common belief of naive people that any solution that doesn't guarantee ideal outcomes (irony*cough*) is inacceptable.
For Shinji to actually blame Gendo for once instead of assuming any problem Gendo has with him is immediately his own fault (including the fact that Gendo abandoned him as a mere toddler) is actually a huge step forward here.
Don't expect him to arrive at a differentiated, multilayared analysis of an event right afterwards.
Someone who just mastered simple multiplication isn't gonna be doing complex multidimensional analysis the next day.
"Fight EVA 03 and just try getting Touji out alive" isn't an ideal solution, either, or even a guarantee to get him out alive, and that's the whole point - the result may have been exactly the same, but (and that's pretty much the point of either version of Kaji's speech) at least he would know that he did all he could and might arrive at a place where he didn't need to have that much regrets about it.
That's what it was all about - being comfronted with a situation where there's no ideal solution.

That's what it was about, no anything quite as hamhanded as certain people seem to be proposing.
It seems downright cruel to discribe someone who's just been involved in a very personally violating experience that involved the death or maiming of his best friend as "playing the victim and refusing to fight"
That's just as huge, glaring distortion of what actually happened, seriously, go rewatch it right now, and stop expecting random teenagers to act like professional soldiers.
Most people would be incapable to actually shoot some guy with a hostage next to him, even if he were threatening to kill the hostage anyway. Most people wouldn't be capable to just go and kill a person, or do something that might kill one, anyway. It's a natural inhibition humans have that actually has to be lowered through specefic training, and having it is not necessarily a bad thing.

As for Manga!Kaji, you have to take the whole situation into account, he just took that kid with him and went to seek shelter for the both of them, and he's measuring himself, and even the person he loves with the very same bar - It's really more of an indication of Manga!Kaji's own huge survivor guilt complex and skewered worldview than it's anything about Shinji personally, the one he's really pissed at is his younger self; He's just showing this kid the world, as every bit as unforgiving as he personally percieves it.
Sure it's harsh, but it kinda worked, if anything, I'd see this as a "flawed human being trying to do what they thought was best/right/true" moment.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”