Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Anime Industry Honor Roll: Awarded Works and Creators List

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Animation is hard work and sometimes you deserve recognition for bullying the desk slaves

What I am trying to make here

Welcome to latest fruit of pointless obsession on Xard's part. The idea for topic goes all the way back to release of Q in Japan and chee asking if anyone knew what the critical reception in Japan was. From what I remember my reply was snide and pessimistic - it was born as much out of frustration at how damn impossible it is actually to get one's hands on reviews by Japanese anime critics and film critics who watch "non-ghibli" anime (they do indeed exist, especially today) as from disdain for asking "silly" things. So leaving aside hard to come by reviews and critical discourse in Japanese print then what other resources do we have readily avalaible as objects to point at when we discuss title X getting lauded in Japan? Of course accolades of various kinds. Anime industry is no different from any other content industry in the way it self-regulates and judges its products and proceeds to award and honor those commonly perceived as raising above the norm and having real value.

This topic presents list of accolades various anime projects have received, ordered by their directors. The core aim is to provide simple, easy to undertand and refer to database when you eg. decide to watch all anime that have received Seiun Award or want to have pissing contest who has won the honors with more prestige, Mamoru Oshii or Satoshi Kon.. or you're simply and innociously looking for something highly reverred and thus likely enjoyable to watch next.

DIRECTOR LIST

Anno, Hideaki
Daichi, Akitaro
Dezaki, Osamu
Hosoda, Mamoru
Ikuhara, Kunihiko
Imaishi, Hiroyuki
Imagawa, Yasuhiro
Ishiguro, Noburo
Iso, Mitsuo
Kamiyama, Kenji
Kawamori, Shouji
Kon, Satoshi
Maeda, Mahiro
Miyazaki, Hayao
Nakamura, Kenji
Nakamura, Ryutaro
Okiura, Hiroyuki
Oshii, Mamoru
Otomo, Katsuhiro
Rintaro
Sato, Junichi
Shinbo, Akiyuki
Shinkai, Makoto
Takahashi, Ryousuke
Takahata, Isao
Tomino, Yoshiyuki
Tsurumaki, Kazuya
Watanabe, Shinichiro
Yamaga, Hiroyuki
Yuasa, Masaaki

On structure of topic/list

- The works have been ordered under their "primary authors" which in light of auteur theory mean their directors. At this point this feels simpler and easier to navigate than just list of works (it's already difficult to decide which directors to include in consideration, imagine how much difficult this would be if I tried to cram in every work that has ever received something) and secondly this makes quite bit sense. In contrast to Hollywood in Japanese film industry director is the principal creative force behind a feature almost uniformly. Anime industry is no different.

- The directors have been put in alphabetical order

- I've written something on each director as optional reading for those curious but the lenght does not really correspond to standing of these directors in general or in my eyes - of course if you're Miyazaki chances are there'll be ton of text but overall lenght has much more to do with the degree of more intimate knowledge on my end/number of sources easily discoverable. Of course this means my favourites and directors with whose work I'm more familiar with are prone to lenghtier texts but keep in mind I mean no evaluation bias with amount of text per se.

- Speaking of evaluation since I discuss director's style and the like of course I can't help but bring my assesment to bear in some respect: hence you won't find me calling Oshii boring and likes of Anno and Ikuhara get very appreciative text overall because quite frankly guys like these three are more often than not geniuses when it comes to formal/technical side of directing. On content I try to not take sides and while I lavish praise my general line is is to present each author on the list in positive light and avoid iconoclasm. When it comes to assesment of works (which is minimal focus overall) of said authors I rely on critical concensus to best of my ability and thus you don't see me elevating Angel's Egg as Oshii's real masterpiece or shredding Pom Poko to pieces like I'd do if I were simply giving my own evaluations. Overall I try to maintain fairly neutral tone, evaluate works as well from "critical consensus" pov as possible and when giving more individual remarks stay to positive ones and avoid negative disses (no LOLTOMINO jokes or "fuck farming" re:Only Yesterday here).

- As of this writing I'm only including credits going to work director has helmed or director himself so you don't see Sadamoto's Character Design awards from Hosoda films here or Kazunori Ito's screenwriter honours. The limit is in here because this was absolutely ridiculously big, time-consuming project (full week of effort at least) as is without me trying to include all distinct fields of anime production within. Secondly it doesn't make much sense to list credit for best voice acting under director credits. Of course since logic and consistency sucks I have included music related awards on the lists as is because well screw you, I have great interest in this side of production. So you'll just have to bear with that for now. Of course if I'll enlarge the "Honor Roll" to include composers and the like when I have time and energy the credits will be appropriately transferred.

On awards/honors inclusion principles

- Needless to say even in its current stage with hundreds of individual awards tracked down and identified the list is far from perfect. I intentionally omitted quite few awards I felt too inconsequential or on which I could not find proper information. This (and in case of Miyazaki's later films exhaustion at task) is reason why some awards don't have the year they were given next to them. I simply couldn't find that information with withstandable pains and effort.

- Then we have cases like the "This anime is great!" award from 2009 which seems legit based on googling but I'll be damned if I can actually connect it to any organization (there's long-standing, traditional "this manga is great!" award in that industry but I couldn't ascertain connection) or some ancient award that is obscure as hell and impossible to find ANY proper information on so I left it out because I had hard time evaluating award's merit. Last but not least are cases of blatant source contradiction: for example wiki page for Totoro claims it won Atom Award at Japan Anime Grand Prix but Japan Anime Grand Prix page claims Atom Award didn't go to Totoro that year (though it did win Anime Grand Prix, the main award). In cases like this I've left the award out entirely to be on the safe side.

- Also to keep the list at least somehow manageable I have as general rule only included 1st Positions in any yearly "Top Ten Films of the Year" and the like. This cut eg. a load of fat from already ridiculously bloated CV Miyazaki has... and sadly also Japan's Film Critics naming Honneamise 7th best film of its year but I think this was right choice to make in the end. There are only few major exceptions, mainly the "Best Anime Films Ever" lists by two major film magazines in Japan, CUT and Kinema Jumpo which are included fully due to prestige associated with such honorary lists.

- No nominations although these count as marks of prestige and honor more often than not, esp. with major prize nominations. Again, this list was hard to manage as is. I wasted full day's worth of time on Miyazaki's late films even without tracking down nominations.

- I've also generally favoured critics/establishment/expert panels over "mass vote" awards but this attitude can only be justified to certain degree and doing this with blind eyes would do great injustice to many great works as well as show unwarranted contempt for viewing public. So expect to see various well-deserved "audience awards" and the like from film festivals in the mix though I haven't included everything. Similarly I've also allowed for balance's sake appereances by award that pretty much just celebrates commercial success, artistic merit being irrelevant to proceedings one way or another.

- In the end I must admit there's a degree of inescapable arbitraryness to selection of which awards to preserve and which to disgard but I don't think that's something I can truly help as long as I'm being discriminating at all. Not that I want to overstress this point because of accolades I encountered on Japanese and English wikipedia, IMDB, festival sites etc. I've included at least 90% as is.

Phew.

There! With that out of the way the core section of OP can finally start: explaining what the more obscure awards are about. Everyone can understand Best Film award at festival or Japanese Academy Award for Animation of the Year and I leave recognizing famous western awards like Golden Lion to film buffness (or lack of it) of reader but what the hell is Seiun Award? Golden Gross? Who exactly decide on Animation Kobes? Was putting in Animage Grand Prix's huge mistake that just bloats the lists without meaning?

Some of the awards for anime and Japanese films

Nihon SF Taisho Award: So, you're science fiction author in Japan hoping to win the absolute top honor you can possibly earn. What you're looking for is this: Nihon SF Taisho Award, roughly speaking Japan's equivalent to Nebula Award. It was established in 1980 and it is awarded by Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of Japan or SFWJ for short and its prestige in the field is without parallel.

In a break from Nebula Award ALL works of science fiction in Japan compete for this singular prize (typically 1-2 are given any year though lately it's been bumbed to 3) for best spefi with unsurprisingly vast majority going to novels. The few exceptions to rule have involved eg. Katsuhiro Otomo's Domu manga in 1984 and Moto Hagio's Barbara Ikai manga in 2006.

Only three anime have ever won this most prestigious award, first one of them being Neon Genesis Evangelion in 1997, second Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence in 2004 and third Dennou Coil in 2008.

SF Taisho also awards occasional Special Awards. For example Osamu Tezuka received one in 80s.

Seiun Awards: If SF Taisho is Nebula then Seiun Award is Japanese Hugo - which is mighty confusing if you know seiun is Japanese word for nebula! Established in 1970 Seiun Award - like SF Taisho - is eagerly sought after honor. Its awarding method is similar to Hugo and winners get voted yearly by Japan's Science Fiction Convention.

Also while technically this goes for SF Taisho too Seiun Award is more openly and clearly award for best speculative fiction in general. It tends to get dominated by SF like Taisho but major winners that are clearly fantasy instead of science fiction seem more numerous with Seiun Awards.

Another difference to domestic SF Taisho Award which puts all mediums into brutal competition with each other Seiun Awards has number of categories:

- Best Japanese Novel of the Year
- Best Japanese Short Story of the Year
- Best Foreign Language Novel of the Year
- Best Foreign Language Short Story of the Year
- Best Media of the Year
- Best Comic of the Year
- Best Artist of the Year
- Non-Fiction of the Year
- Free Genre
- Special Prize

For anime and films Best Media of the Year is the award sought after and competed for. The competition is rather tough because this category doesn't recognize national boundaries, meaning ALL spefi media of the year is eligible.

I must admit it offers degree of humoured pleasure to me such different favourites of mine like Tarkovsky's Solaris and Macross Frontier have shared award (Seiun Award for Best Media of the Year 1972 and 2009 respectively).

Animage Anime Grand Prix: Animage is anime and entertainment magazine found in 1978. It is oldest of "Big 3" anime magazines and has had the honor of eg. serializing Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga in the past. Toshio Suzuki was editor at Animage before becoming producer of Nausicaa film and his later occupation as Ghibli president. Animage's Anime Grand Prix, established in 1979, is one of the first major accolades given for anime. Readers of magazine vote in variety of categories (that have evolved over years) their favourite episodes, characters etc. all culminating in choosing year's best anime. Winner gets the Anime Grand Prix for the year. Less well known is existence of Anime Grand Prix Editor's Choice which is award for best anime of the year as chosen by magazine's editorial staff. Some categories that were retired in late 90s include "All Time Best Anime" and "All time best character" that were chosen annually too.

I had probably the most mixed feelings about including Anime Grand Prix thanks to its "mass vote" nature by fandom readership with all the trivilialities it implies. Today's Grand Prix is pretty much worthless in comparison to other major awards and detached from wider critical circles thanks to readership getting more and more biased to certain demographics (Inazuma Eleven is best anime of 2010 and 2011, apparently). On the other hand back in the day it carried quite much prestige and in any case Editor's Choice Grand Prix has always remained valuable accolade with superior historical track record in critical longevity of choices. Essentially it's anime equivalent for CUT or KineJumpo year best film and as such certainly belongs here. But if I include Editor's Choice I might as well include the rest, especially given importance of Anime Grand Prix in the past.

Decisive factor was how underpresented old anime is as is for reasons that have nothing to do with quality. Had I excluded Animage's awards there'd be little left to turn to. Secondly Grand Prixes were historically great meters of perceived significance of title by anime fandom and large part of Gundam/Eva/Nausicaa's legacy on genre fiction in Japan would go unappreciated without seeing their dominance on minds of magazine's readers AND editorial staff.

Japan Anime Grand Prix: The only real 80s competitor of Animage Grand Prix and arguably the prize of merit for anime back in the day.. It would've probably become Japan's Annie Awards without untimely end in 1990. Japan Anime Grand Prix was established by no other than Osamu Tezuka himself in 1984 and proceedings were a joint effort by 5 major magazines that were not called Animage (Animedia, TIME OUT! etc.). In contrast to Animage's Anime Grand Prix these awards were far more jury and industry dominated. The major awards were Japan Anime Grand Prix for year's best anime and Atom Award (I've been unable to confirm the exact criterion for Atom Award but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Tezuka's own pick - or then it's Award for long-going tv series, going by selection) but directors, animation directors, sound design etc. were also awarded. The award by popular vote/public was present in typical Japanese fashion through Japan Anime Grand Prix Fan Award.

Unfortunately burst of Japan's economic bubble, death of Osamu Tezuka and general chaos of Showa Era's end led to end of Japan Anime Grand Prix with last awards rewarded in 1990 for 1989 titles. For early 90s only non-film anime awards going around were by Animage, boosting their value momentarily even further.

Animation Kobe

Arguably the inheritor of Japan Anime Grand Prix's mantle. Animation Kobe was established in 1996 and would go on to become one of the three most prestigious accolade establishments of today. Animation Kobe is strictly jury based with heavy critic/industry dominance with majority of lots taken by editor-in-chiefs of major anime industry magazines (Animage is included this time around too). A representative of Kobe city typically partakes in panels and industry members also partake, for example Chairman of examination for 2002-2003 was celebrated director Akitaro Daichi. Kobe awards include best tv feature (aka series), best film and best packaged product* (OVAs and the like) and Individual award for highly distinguished industry member. Typically individual awards turn into "best director" award as the category is dominated by directors. There are other awards too of course like the special award typically given for distinguished service through long career.

*While early 00s still saw some relatively major OVA productions like FLCL, Diebuster 2, Macross Zero and Yukikaze by 2006 there was nothing but bottom of barrel scrapping left as can be told from hilarious win by Wings of Rean (which afaik has always been considered stinker in Japan too). Other comparable establishments have also by 2013 retired "OVA" category entirely.

First leg in contemporary Trinity of anime industry awards.

Tokyo Anime Awards which I've called by the more longish name, "tokyo international anime fair bla bla" award because that format seemed more common in Japanese wikipedia. Tokyo Anime Awards were established in 2002 and are annually given during Tokyo International Anime Fair, one of the largest anime trade fair events in the world.

Tokyo Anime Awards have ten main judges though voter list extends to 100 members. Like Animation Kobe Tokyo Anime Awards are heavily critic/industry oriented with voters including critics, chief editors of anime magazines, anime industry professionals and university professors.

Second leg in contemporary Trinity of anime industry awards.

Japan Media Arts Festival Awards

Japan Media Arts Festival is run by prestigious Agency for Cultural Affairs, a special body of Japanese Ministry of Education. Japan Media Arts Festival was started in 1997 and awards works in 5 categories: Non-Interactive Digital Art Awards, Art awards, Entertainment/Interactive Art awards, Animation awards and Manga awards.

5 works are chosen in each category with 4 receiving Excellence Award for highly distinguished merit with 1 work taking the top Grand Prize. Since 2002 one Encouragement award has also been given. In addition to this jury may give out Jury Recommendations for works of merit that didn't make the cut. Some years have no Jury Recommendations or only a couple while other years Jury go crazy seemingly willing to give nod to absolutely anything that has carved out substantial popularity (these years are rare though).

Jury who select the awards are composed of highly distinguished industry members and academics. For example 2013's Animation Jury includes director and animator Koji Morimoto, animation director Sugii Kitaburo and Tokyo Zokei University professor Masashi koide.

Third leg in contemporary Trinity of anime industry awards.

Japan Media Arts Top 100: This has been done only once but I've included it for the unsurpassed merit it has. In 2006 Agency for Cultural Affairs ran massive polls to determine all time greatest achievements in field of media arts in Japan. Each category's "all time top 50" works were determined by this vote that was done in two forks. There was expert vote involving hundreds of academics and the like as well as public vote that eventually racked 80,000 votes or so.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was chosen as all time best anime in this vote even over Miyazaki's great 80s classics Nausicaa and Laputa. For now I only included Eva's 1st position, full list here

Newtype Anime Awards: Recent newcomer to the field, in fact first awards were given out in 2011. Newtype awards does within industry's biggest magazine's editorial staff what Animation Kobe does with coalition of such staffs. Essentially it's very similar to Animage Grand Prix with distinction that "Editor's Choice" goes for every category.

Mainichi Film Concours Ōfuji Noburō Award: Probably the most prestigious animation award in Japan (though most anime aren't running for it as its highly specialized price). Awarded as part of Mainichi Shinbun's yearly Film Concours it's named after Ōfuji Noburō, pioneering anime auteur of 20th Century's first half who worked largerly in cutout and silhouette animation. Ōfuji Noburō Award was designed to award and support efforts of independent animators of great artistic merit, however by mid-80s thanks to Hayao Miyazaki and Ghibli the original intent of award couldn't help but become muddled as critics felt obligated to honour their achievements. This led to establishment of Mainichi Film Concours Best Animation Film Award, the "big studio" correspondent of Ōfuji Noburō award which again returned to awarding generally more obscure, smaller scale productions (though Miyazaki is hard to get entirely rid off in any category...

Mainichi Film Concours Best Animation Film Award: The big studio film equivalent of Ōfuji Noburō Award. It tends to get dominated in global "best animation feature" fashion by Ghibli or Ghibliesque all ages family movies though there are exceptions. Award with definitive merit of course, but probably not as coveted after as the "artsy small scale weirdness goes here" Ōfuji Noburō Award.

Hochi Awards: Annual Film Awards for films by Hochi Shimbun newspaper.

Blue Ribbon Awards: Film awards awarded by film critics and writers in Tokyo. Blue Ribbons are some of the most sought after honors in Japa's film industry.

Japanese Academy Awards for Animation of the Year and Excellence: Well, this being Academy Award for best animated feature equivalent of Japanese Academy Awards there isn't much explanation needed here. Unsurprisingly certain "Oscar bait" biases in winner lineups exist in Japan's Academy too. Case in point since Animation of the Year's establishment in 2007 the winner has almost uniformly been Ghibli or Hosoda flick.

This isn't that interesting point to make but I'm bringing JAA's animation awards up for further explication because of one feature distinct from Oscars. In JAA's what first happens is not simply nominating handful of films for the prize, they first award 5 films (in this category animation films) awards for Excellence. Then later they pick up one out of these Excellence awards recipient as Animation of the Year. So the "nominated ones" are already JAA winners now going out for the big prize. Of course technically JAA's are the most meritous awards in Japanese film industry but when it comes to animation I put more weight on the "Trinity" mention earlier as well as Ofuji Noburo Award. JAA's choices while high quality in a sense tend to be very conservative and "Oscar baity".

Major exception are Rebuild films which have received Excellence Award every year they've been running. This tells a lot about Evangelion's unique position as the one otaku anime/blatant genre fiction franchise with major support and appreciation in society at large. If we exclude Tekkonkinkreet's anomalous AotY win in 2008 Rebuild films stand wholly apart from its co-winners that are either shonen fare for kids or family entertainment fare for, well, families by mainstream directors.

Japan Academy Award for Topic of the Year Award: Now this is JAA without Oscar equivalent! This is award for best film as voted by listeners of All Night Nippon thus fulfilling JAA's need for "the award by popular vote/public" most Japanese awards seemingly need to have at least in some form.

話題賞 was bit of a pain in the ass to translate but I opted for the literal in the end. I don't remember where I saw it but someone had rendered this as flamboyantly as "Biggest Public Sensation of the Year" - which certainly sounds nice and probably in many cases descriptive eg. End of Evangelion's win. Still, I opted for restraint.

Award by same name and method is also given to actor but that is not relevant for anime.

Japan Academy Association Special Award: Another JAA without Oscar equivalent! It's also very telling Japanese exception and speaks volumes of the way business industries in Japan are generally intertwined. This only appears once in the whole list, in 1997 for Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion when it was awarded for Tsuguhiko Kadokawa (honcho of Kadokawa in case name doesn't make it obvious) for said anime. Like with music not precisely director award or even given to anime itself per se but I included it for its importance going by JAA's description of it: Given to honor those variety of professionals who support field of Japanese filmmaking.

It's quite notable tribute to impact Eva had on the business around it, revitalizing anime industry (and almost destroying it in the process by late 90s lol).

IIRC Akira Kurosawa has also won this award.

Golden Gross Awards: Golden Gross Awards were found in 1983 by (name monster I hope I translated correctly) "National Kogyo Environenmetal Health Brotherhood Federation". Which is just fucking weird name when you know Golden Gross Awards are Awards given by film (theatre) managers for top grossing films of the year, movie star with greatest pull and "money making best director" award.

The only explicitly commercial and nothing but award on the list I've included as I decided to keep out eg. BD sale awards.

Broadcasting Culture Foundation Award (Television Entertainment Category): Another award that appears on the list only once which just makes it all the more notable. This was established in 1974 and is given by Public Hoso-Bunka Foundation, organization that is closely linked to NHK and awards yearly the best tv productions like documentaries and aforementioned "television entertainment" as well as numerous individuals involved in Japan's broadcasting culture in general.

This particular award is of course given for work that is perceived as excellent and well received by viewers that was broadcast on TV that year.

As far as I know only anime to ever win Public Hoso-Bunka Foundation award is Kawamori's Spring and Chaos in 1997.

Digital Content Grand Prix Awards: Digital Content Grand Prix is organized every year by Digital Content Association of Japan (DCAj) and co-hosted by Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

Within Digital Content Industry - and anime industry is part of it - works, people etc. that have managed great achievements get annually recognized with these awards. The range of potential winners are great, from Wii to highly appraised anime feature films.

Companies as a whole can also win some award avalaible at Digital Content Grand Prix: for example anime studio Satelight has done just that.

I've only picked cases when anime has been awarded for excellence as film/product eg. Summer Wars when award is straight for title or when it's given for staff (whole or director) for creating this specific title.

Person of Cultural Merit: To quote wiki "Person of Cultural Merit is an official Japanese recognition and honor which is awarded annually to select people who have made outstanding cultural contributions. This distinction is intended to play a role as a part of a system of support measures for the promotion of creative activities in Japan."

Hayao Miyazaki is only anime director to ever receive this honor.

Some notes on the distribution of "goods"

- While awards are one major form of recognition it isn't only one, of course. For example some of Kenji Nakamura's works such as Mononoke, Kuchuu Buranko etc. have been great gritical successes but he doesn't have much to show it. Similar things can be said about work of Ryutaro Nakamura or Yasuhiro Imagawa whose sole Atom Award comes from (today) fairly obscure manga adaptation. Looking only at accolades you'd never know his de facto magnum opus is Giant Robo.

- Age bring a great bias in distribution. There simply didn't exist as many institutions throwing throphies around before, especially for non-feature anime. After disappearance of Japan Anime Grand Prix and prior to emergence of Animation Kobe and Media Arts Festival Animation Awards in late 90s only anime-specific game in the town seems to have been Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo & Best Animation Film awards and Animage Grand Prix. Had Tokyo Anime Award been around back then you could place pretty damn certain bets on Nadia taking year 90 or at the very least TV series department but as is Grand Prix and Animage's Editor's Choice are only things you can show for respect the most popular pre-Eva GAINAX anime got.

- Similarly today works that hit international festival circle vs those that don't bias things even more in favour of those going out - and works that go and meet success in the great big world tend to be that Ghibliesque fair (unless you're established name like Mamoru Oshii who can thank GitS's 90s breakthrough for most things that have gone well in his career afterwards). Delivering quality mainstream features into international festival circuit is the reason why Hosoda has racked awards in stupendifyingly fast fashion since 2006. This has tranformed him from Junich Satoesque top notch director lingering in relative obscurity to most likely heir of Hayao Miyazaki himself.

- I already touched on this when I discussed Japanese Academy Awards for animation but there's a vast gulf between the majority of anime/otaku feature films and those that end up getting actual attention. Basically if your film is Gekijouban ("theatrical edition") instead of simply anime Eiga ("movie") and relatively mainstream, clean family fun sort of Eiga you're almost always screwed. While anime is anything but dirty word these days this doesn't mean general culture or film establishment is interested in fair and far reaching assesment and exploration of Japan's big animation industry. Unless you're goddamn Evangelion or year's hottest commodity and subject of much mainstream media attention (read: K-ON) don't expect many if any Japan Academy members to see your feature.

This is one of the reasons why I put much higher value to likes of Animation Kobe that treat all features equally without any subcultural fences keeping parasitic geeks apart from animation decent people watch. Plus the expertise is simply higher.

If one looks at Miyazaki's stunning oeuvre and the way major outlets slowly but surely give up on giving special awards (because anime just CAN'T be good enough to get main prices) at times created specifically to award his work it is easy to see this primal "prejudice" has been there from the start, only significantly shook by irresistible rise of Miyazaki into nation's number one filmmaker. When Cagliostro and Galaxy Express 999 came out in 1979 anime weren't yet appreciated as films in general and it is very notable feat GE999 managed to wringe "Special Award" out from JAA's that year. I'm fairly sure this is first time film establishment in Japan had given major nod to animation as part of cinema world's parcel overall.

- I'm not making value judgements here against "mainstream" features (studio Ghibli's output tends to be the best of whole industry and Hosoda's three latest films all rank among the best anime features of this millenium) or deny genuine expertise and knowledge of eg. JAA members involved but I just want people to keep in mind sociocultural factors like distribution, genre and the like greatly affect the exposure. So next time you're entertaining idea Wolf Children's critical reputation over that of Beautiful Dreamer is many times greater - just look at all those accolades man - keep in mind this isn't whole story.

Last update: 19.10.2013
Last edited by Xard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:32 am, edited 42 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Hideaki Anno (1960-)

Hideaki Anno is Japanese anime and live action director. He's also animator famed for his influential work in effects and mechanical animation. Anno, member of the so-called otaku generation, got interested in anime in wake of Space Battleship Yamato (1974), the first serious science fiction story animated in Japan. Juggling his interests in tokusatsu and anime Anno would spend his youth in science fiction fan circles creating amateur films. He joined production crew of Superdimensional Fortress Macross (1982-1983) on which he worked in animation director Ichiro Itano's "mecha squad". Later Anno would work as key animator on Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa (1984), animating on his own the famous God Warrior climax. Bolstered by these experiences Anno together with his friends produced celebrated doujin anime for opening of Osaka's big scifi con, Daicon IV. This event led to creation of celebrated anime studio GAINAX, the first one to be found by anime fans.

Anno would get his director debut on GAINAX's OVA series Gunbuster (1988-1989), highly reverred mecha anime classic about humanity's fight against space monsters bent on eradicating mankind from universe. In many ways it was ideal crystallization of otaku anime. After Gunbuster Anno helmed GAINAX's next project Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water (1990-1991) based very loosely on Jules Verne's books. This project too rose to great popularity but lack of creative control and other issues would lead into serious four year long depression on his part.

In 1995 Anno emerged with his magnum opus Neon Genesis Evangelion (NGE 1995-1996, Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion 1997), a masterpiece that would first shake Japan like no anime before had and emerge as dust settled as one of the most popular, most acclaimed, most controversial and discussed anime ever created. By delivering the defining anime of 90s that pushed the boundaries of medium ahead in nearly all areas Anno immeaditly rose to celebrity status as "black Miyazaki". He reached the upper echelons of decades leading progressive artists in Japan, in process cementing his status as the de facto anime director of his generation. With Kunihiko Ikuhara he'd wield a status as anime's Shuji Terayama for a while but instead of capitalizing on his fame, sky high recognition and industry following his every move he'd instead focus on small scale, experimental live action projects. Trouble securing funding for his next Yamato and Galaxy Express 999 influenced SF series and backstage drama during production of His and Her Circumstances also played part in pushing him out from anime.

In 1998 Anno would complete Love & Pop, highly experimental live action film looking into teenage prostitution and in 2000 Shiki Jitsu (Ritual), partly autobiographical film about anime director meeting and getting involved with mentally unstable woman, would follow. Both films met critical appreciation and earned Anno awards in major Japanese film festivals but the limited distribution (outside few film festivals Shiki Jitsu was only screened at Tokyo Photography Museum) and niche subject matters helped Anno to step away from the limelight he had never been all that comfortable in. In 2002 he would get married with mangaka Moyoco Anno (Hataraki Man) and in 2004 Anno oversaw GAINAX's OVA remake of Go Nagai's Cutey Honey while he wrote and directed the intentionally campy live action film adaptation.

In 2006 Anno would return to Evangelion with series of new films remaking the original series, meeting great commercial and critical success in process. Apart from that he has worked on Tokusatsu Exhibition, provided voice for main character for Miyazaki's The Wind Rises and debuted as producer for Katsuyuki Hirano's Kantoku Shikkaku for which Anno and Hirano would win Japanese Professional Movie Awards Grand Prize.

Anno's directing style is instantly recognizable from his idiosyncratic and astonishingly creative camerawork and meticulous, masterful editing. As a technical maestro of formal side of directing and composer of aesthetically striking images he has few peers as even his critics tend to admit. Anno in his mature period is also keen of metaphorizing and loading with body parts and inanimate objects, turning Shinji's hand into morphable symbol of his self as agent initiating actions in Eva, railroad tracks into embodiment of ennui and existential stasis main characters in Shiki Jitsu find themselves in and replacing over the shoulder head shots with cups, mugs and bottles and other objects as stand-ins for characters addressed. Manmade objects such as electric wires, poles, railroad tracks and the like are also constant presence in Anno's mise-en-scene. Similar aesthetic and thematic richness tends to suffuse his offhand visual cues in general from mood setting desolate cuts to empty sandboxes and swings to literally squeezing aspect ratios to force character anxiety on viewer. Offscreen actions and sounds are also favoured in rather Bressonian fashion both in his anime and live action work. In music Anno favours nostalgic, intentionally retro scores mainly provided by Shiro Sagisu full of cues to past works (James Bond, Yamato), classical music and pop standards of bygone Showa Era. With songs he often goes for contrast and ironic effect, whether setting apocalypse to Hey Judesque pop or having girls march through 90s sewer network while folk love song extraordinaire of more innocent 70s plays in the background. When you combine all this with fondness for repetition, patterned editing and sheer experimental weirdness you get incredibly rich, intellectually sophisticated style that is instantly recognizable.

In terms of series Anno's greatest influences are Space Battleship Yamato and Yoshiyuki Tomino's anime, most notably Mobile Suit Gundam and Space Runaway Ideon. As premier otaku director and self-admitted copycat his works are full of homages and tributes to earlier series. According to Anno himself he learned how to direct anime from Ichiro Itano and Hayao Miyazaki and their influence bear heavy on his mentality as director. His striking visual style and editing are also greatly influenced by big names of Japanese New Wave cinema: Kihachi Okamoto and Akio Jissoji.

In turn Anno's influence on anime industry and beyond has been massive, mainly in Japan. If Anno's otaku generation were children of Yamato and Gundam the third generationers are first and foremost children of Nadia and Evangelion and the boom latter enabled. Younger anime directors who have cited him as influence include Makoto Shinkai (5cm per Second), Seiji Mizushima (Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam 00), Yutaka Yamamoto (Kannagi), Tomoki Kyodai (Eureka 7) and Kazuhiro Takamura (Strike Witches). His protege is Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL). Outside anime industry Anno's work has also been major influence on eg. superflat artist Takashi Murakami and video games such as Xenogears.

Presentative work: Evangelion franchise

Accolades

Gunbuster (1988-1989)

Seiun Awards 1990 Best Media of the Year – Gunbuster

Nadia Secret of the Blue Water (1990-1991)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1990 – Nadia
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1990 Editor’s Choice – Nadia
Animage Grand Prix 1990 Best Episode – Electra’s Betrayal (Nadia ep 22)
Animage Grand Prix 1991 Best Episode – Successor to the Stars (Nadia ep 36)
Animage Grand Prix 1995 Best All-Time Anime Award – Nadia
Animage Grand Prix 1996 Best All-Time Anime Award – Nadia
Animage Grand Prix 1990 Best Female Character – Nadia (Nadia)
Animage Grand Prix 1991 Best Female Character – Nadia (Nadia)

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion (1995-1996, 1997)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1995 – 1st Position Neon Genesis Evangelion
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1996 – 1st Position Neon Genesis Evangelion
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1997 – 1st Position End of Evangelion
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1995 Editor’s Choice – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1996 Editor’s Choice – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1997 Editor’s Choice – End of Evangelion
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1995 Best Song Award – Cruel Angel Thesis (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1996 Best Song Award – Cruel Angel Thesis (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1996 Male Character – Ikari Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1997 Male Character – Ikari Shinji (End of Evangelion)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1995 Female Character – Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1996 Female Character – Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Animage Grand Prix 1996 Best Episode – Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (Evangelion ep 24)
Animage Grand Prix 1997 Best All-Time Anime Award – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Nihon SF Taisho Award 1997 – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Animation Kobe 1996 Individual Award (Best Director) – Hideaki Anno
Animation Kobe TV Feature Award 1996 – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Animation Kobe 1997 Best Music Award – Shiro Sagisu
Animation Kobe 1997 Audience Award – Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion
Japan Media Arts Festival 1997 Excellence Award – Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion
Japan’s Media Arts 2006 The Best Anime of All Time – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Japan Academy Award 1997 Topic of the Year Award – End of Evangelion
Japan Academy Award 1997 Association Special Award – Tsuguhiko Kadokawa (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Golden Gross 1997 Silver Excellence Award – Death & Rebirth, End of Evangelion
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 3rd Position – End of Evangelion
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2006 “My Best Anime”: Neon Genesis Evangelion
The 39th Japan Record Award Project/Planning Award – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Japan Gold Disc Award 1997 Anime Soundtrack Award – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Japan Gold Disc Award 1997 Special Commendation – Neon Genesis Evangelion
Japan Gold Disc Award 1998 Animation Album of the Year – EVANGELION: DEATH
JASRAC Silver Award 2008 – Neon Genesis Evangelion BGM
JASRAC Gold Award 2011 – Cruel Angel Thesis (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Love & Pop (1998)

Yokohama Film Festival Best New Director Award – Hideaki Anno

Shiki Jitsu (2000)

13th Tokyo International Film Festival Best Artistic Contribution Award – Hideaki Anno

Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone (2007)

International Tokyo Anime Fair 2008 Animation of the Year Award – Eva 1.0
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2008 Best Director Award – Hideaki Anno
Animation Kobe 2008 Best Film Award – Eva 1.0
Japan Academy Award for Animation of the Year 2008 Excellence Award – Eva 1.0
Annual Japanese Otaku Awards 2008 Harayasa Tokaimura Award – Eva 1.0
Lyon Asian Film Festival 2008 Animation Award – 1st Position Eva 1.0
Digital Content Grand Prix Chairman Award 2007 – Eva 1.0
Golden Gross 2007 Topic Award – Eva 1.0

Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance (2009)

Lyon Asian Film Festival 2009 Animation Award – 1st Position Eva 2.0
Japan Academy Award for Animation of the Year 2010 Excellence Award – Eva 2.0
Golden Gross 2009 Silver Excellence Award – Eva 2.0
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2010 Best Music – Shiro Sagisu (Eva 2.0)

Kantoku Shikkaku (2011)

Japanese Professional Movie Awards Grand Prize – Kantoku Shikkaku (producer Anno, director
Katsuyuki Hirano)

Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (2012)

Japan Academy Award for Animation of the Year 2012 Excellence Award – Eva 3.0
Warner Michael Cinema Award Japanese Film Category 2012 2nd Position – Eva 3.0

Total: 58
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Akitaro Daichi (1956-)

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/jib9.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Akitaro Daichi entered anime industry originally as photographer but eventually moved over to directing, debuting on Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. In line with that most of his best known work are hyperactive comedies that excell in creative gags, clever use of sound and "mangaesque" effects. His way of edit also sticks its head out from the mix to a degree, giving another way to identify his presence in production fairly easily.

Not all of of Daichi's works are comedy however and one of his most celebrated projects is Now and Then, Here and There, a dark science fiction story heavy on human cruelty. Featured characters and events range from rape to child soldiers while background is provided by slowly but surely dying hellish far future Earth. Out of all Daichi anime it probably most strongly showcases influence of his mentor Ryutaro Takahashi.

Nevertheless his trademarks and bread and butter are comedy anime such as Kodomo no Omocha. His close acquintances include number of GAINAX members like Takemi Akai and Hideani Anno. Anno in particular is a fan of Daichi's comedic work and drew influence from his Kodomo no Omocha series when directing His and Her Circumstances.

Presentative work: Kodomo no Omocha

Accolades

Princess Mackaroo (1998-)

Japan Media Arts Festival 1999 Excellence Award – Princess Mackaroo
Animation Kobe 1999 Best Director – Akitaroh Daichi (Princess Mackaroo, Jubei-chan)

Makasete Iruka! (2004)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2004 Excellence Award – Makasete Iruka!

Total: 3
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Osamu Dezaki (1943-2011)

Osamu Dezaki was one of the all time greats. He directed more classic television series through his long career than any other director, hopping with terrifying ease from sports to historical drama to thrilling action. While doing this Dezaki largerly wrote the visual handbook of anime: the things that tend to crop up when we try to imagine stereotypical anime series. His influence has been so all-pervasive there probably isn't a director in television anime who came after him who wasn't influenced by his approach. There are countless series directed by others that use stylistic handbook defined by him almost one to one: the 90s television tv adaptation of Berserk is one, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin from 80s another.

As so often the greatness of artistic achievement bloomed out of necessity: facing the strict limitations of television Dezaki as a director wanted to find ways to make television anime as engaging as possible and interesting to look at when constantly fluid animation wasn't possibility and cornercutting all over the place was face of reality. These standards for tv anime were largerly set by Osamu Tezuka's always struggling Mushi productions in 60s but it was Dezaki who first made great art out of it.

Familiar Dezaki tricks are dime a dozen for any seasoned anime viewer: those pastel freeze frames punctuating dramatic moments? Dezaki. Obtuse, strange angles to shoot scenes from that litter anime with unusual frequency? Dezaki. Stark, dramatic lightning typically fixed by emotional need rather than realities of setting? Dezaki. Heavy use of split screens especially in reactions? Dezaki. Repetitive cuts of same event for emphasis and impact? Dezaki.

The man did his job so well all of his ideas were soon endlessly copied, thus turning his quirks into trademarks of Japanese animation in general.

While Dezaki worked a lot and seemingly could do anything (how many men have dabbled with Key moeblob adaptations and Golgo 13?) his biggest classics tend to hail from sports or 70s "golden age" shoujo manga. Ashita no Joe is sports manga for all the ages while Rose of Versailles is the shoujo epic. In Aim for the Ace, shoujo tennis franchise, he managed to combine both.

Dezaki died in 2011, leaving behind legacy few rival and even fewer surpass. In fact I can only think of Hayao Miyazaki for latter, which is in a sense only fitting as Miyazaki was probably the greatest enemy of "Dezaki style" anime.

While Dezaki has indirectly or directly influenced almost everyone in the industry Kunihiko Ikuhara deserves a special mention: His directing style can largerly be traced back to Dezaki and when it can't it can be traced back to combination of Dezaki with his more postmodern, theatrical and abstract influences like Shuji Terayama.

Representative work: Ashita no Joe, Ace wo Nerae, Rose of Versailles

Accolades

Ashita no Joe 2 TV + Film (1980, 1981)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1980 Editor’s Choice – Ashita no Joe 2
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 27th Position – Ashita no Joe 2

General

Animation Kobe 2011 Special Award – Osamu Dezaki

Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Mamoru Hosoda (1967-)

Mamoru Hosoda is the rising talent of day. His films have been among the most celebrated non-Miayazaki features of millenium and he seems constantly on verge of international breakthrough like the one Miyazaki had in years between Porco Rosso winning at Annecy and Spirited Away taking Oscar back home. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, his breakthrough film that pretty much changed his career in one go, is the most decorated anime film of 21st Century not named Spirited Away while Summer Wars and Wolf Children have followed its lead into massive successes in Japan and abroad.

Mamoru Hosoda's interest in animation goes back to late 70s when Galaxy Express 999 and Castle of Cagliostro proceeded to blow his mind. He became avid collector of Animages and anime enthusiast for a while, but by the time he moved to University his interest in anime had died and replaced by fascination with live action. He did dozens of student films while in college studying oil art. Majority of these were video art made with installations in mind.

After graduating he worked on CMs in anime studio - he soon took part in Studio Ghibli's animator test but failed. After several twists of fate and human meetings involving producer of Kenya Boy Hosoda found himself as animator in Toei Animation. This proved to be mentally distressing experience for him as he quickly came to realize how bad he was in comparison to most other animators. This dealt a major blow to Hosoda's self-confidence. He had entered with interest in directing but had been told to first do animation. Hosoda ended up spending 6 miserable years as animator, even declining chance to join director program, as his pride had been shattered to pieces.

Eventually Hosoda got a chance to do storyboards and he took it. This led to his debut as episode director in 1997 on Ge Ge Ge Kitaro. From hereon the ball started rolling and he got more episode director roles, eventually doing quite bit of work under Ikuhara on Utena. Around this time he also got to do two Digimon films.

These films attracted attention for their high quality and Hosoda got approached about doing animation film in Ghibli as the studio was as anxious as ever to find follower to Miyazaki from younger generation. Hosoda took the chance and found himself attached to Howl's Moving Castle as a director. However, for reasons partially mysterious and partially not worth dwelling on here, the project sort of fell apart/went nowhere in preproduction stage which led to Miyazaki taking over film and Hosoda leaving Ghibli, certain his career in animation was done for.

Luckily he hit some more episode director jobs, Louis Vutton commercial with Takashi Murakami and eventually Hosoda got to direct One Piece film. In 2005 he went freelance as director on hire and got attached to project of creating new anime based on popular and famous book "Girl Who Leapt Through Time".

This was Hosoda's big break as film went on to meet thunderous response home and abroad. Since then he has been one of the most prominent names in the industry with every new release meeting the high expectations set for it. Summer Wars (2009) was based on his experience of getting assimilated into his wife's family with strangers becoming family members while Wolf Children (2012) was largerly inspired by birth of his daughter.

Like any film buff (Hosoda is fan of Edward Yang, Win Wenders, Shinji Somai etc.) Hosoda has a long list of influences from live action as well as anime. From anime directors he particularly likes the work of Sugii Gisaburo (Night on the Galactic Railroad). Still, as far as Hosoda's influences go there are few obvious ones, none moreso than Kunihiko Ikuhara who Hosoda considers his teacher. The way Hosoda handles horizontal compositions, uses metaphors and his storyboarding technique in general are particularly Ikuharaesque. His other major influence is Kazuhiko Furuhashi.

Hosoda's directing style is defined by various identifiable characteristics. He favours medium to distant shots and likes to keep the camera tranquil and in one place in order to not disturb fixed-point observation. Long shots with wide eye lens are a trademark too to further impart objectivity on proceedings. As mentioned earlier his use of metaphors - for really blatant example see baseball match in Summer Wars - has distinctly Ikuharaesque feel to it and it stands out as another defining trait. Last but definetly not least from design point a striking and somewhat divisive feature of Hosoda's visuals are lack of shadows in character models. This makes them easier to animate but force the character designer and animation directors to come up with little touches to make up for the information loss.

It's doubtful Hosoda has any intention to become next Miyazaki in Ghibli, despite his admiration for the man's work, but as long as the road he walks on right now continues to be this succesful he has no need to worry.

Representative work: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars

Accolades

Bokura no War Game

Golden Gross 2000 Silver Excellence Award – Bokura no War Game

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)

Seiun Awards 2007 Best Media of the Year – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Sitges Film Festival 2006 Best Animated Film – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Japan Academy Award 2007 Animation of the Year – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2007 Animation of the Year Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2007 Best Director – Mamoru Hosoda
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2007 Best Original Story – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Yasutaka Tsusui)
Japan Media Arts Festival 2006 Animation Category Grand Prize – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Annecy International Animated Film Festival 2007 Special Distinction for Feature Film – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Animation Kobe 2006 Best Film Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Mainichi Film Concours 2007 Best Animation Film Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Hochi Film Awards 2006 Special Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
invitation AWARDS Animation Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Digital Content Grand Prix Excellence Award 2006 – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
19th Heisei Year northern Japan Newspaper Culture Prize Art Recommendation – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Japan Broadcasting Film Art Award 2007 Best Animation Film – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
International Animated Film Festival Anima2008 BeTV Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
OACC 2008 Golden Dragon Award – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Tomaya Award 2008 – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 20th Position – The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Summer Wars (2009)

Kinema Jumpo 2010 All Time Ten Best Anime Films 10th Position – Summer Wars
Seiun Awards 2010 Best Media of the Year – Summer Wars
Japan Academy Award 2010 Animation of the Year – Summer Wars
Sitges Film Festival 2009 Gertie Award for Best Animated Film – Summer Wars
Digital Content Grand Prix 2009 Minister of Trade, Economy and Industry Award – Summer Wars
Japan Media Arts Festival 2009 Animation Category Grand Prize – Summer Wars
Minister of Culture, Sports, Science and Technology’s Newcomer’s Encouragement 2009 in Media Arts Department – Summer Wars
Mainichi Film Concours 2010 Best Animation Film Award – Summer Wars
Japan Internet Movie Awards 2010 Best Film – Summer Wars
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2010 Best Domestic Film – Summer Wars
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2010 Best Director – Mamoru Hosoda
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2010 Best Original Story – Mamoru Hosoda
Digital Content Grand Prix Excellence Award 2010 – Summer Wars
Japan Theater Staff Film Festival 2010 Grand Chariot Prize – Summer Wars
Lisbon’s International Independent Movie Festival 2010 Audience Award – Summer Wars
Montreal Fantasia Film Festival 2010 Audience Award for Best Animation – Summer Wars
Japan Broadcasting Film Art Award 2010 Best Animation Film – Summer Wars
Anaheim International Film Festival 2010 Best Animation Award – Summer Wars
Animation Kobe 2010 Best Director – Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars)
Japan Expo 2011 Best Animated Feature – Summer Wars

Wolf Children (2012)

ASIAGRAPH 2012 Creation Award – Wolf Children
Sitges Film Festival 2009 Gertie Award for Best Animated Film – Wolf Children
Toyama Distinguished Service Award 2012 – Wolf Children
Japan Media Arts Festival 2012 Excellence Award – Wolf Children
Golden Gross 2012 Silver Excellence Award – Wolf Children
Japan Grand Prix 2013 3rd Position – Wolf Children
Mainichi Film Concours 2013 Best Animation Film Award – Wolf Children
Japan Academy Award 2013 Animation of the Year – Wolf Children
Warner Michael Cinema Award Japanese Film Category 2012 1st Position – Wolf Children
Japan Internet Movie Awards 2013 Best Film – Wolf Children
Japan Internet Movie Awards 2013 Best Director – Mamoru Hosoda
Digital Content of the Year 2012/Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications AMD Award – Summer Wars
Japan Broadcasting Film Art Award 2013 Best Animation Film – Wolf Children
Japan Theater Staff Film Festival 2013 Grand Chariot Prize – Wolf Children
Japan Theater Staff Film Festival 2010 Grand Chariot Prize – Mamoru Hosoda
New York International Children’s Film Festival 2013 Audience Award Feature – Wolf Children
Japan Film Critic’s Award 2013 Animation Award – Wolf Children
Imagine Film Festival 2013 Grand Prix (Black Tulip 2013) – Wolf Children

Total: 62
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Kunihiko Ikuhara (1964-)

Kunihiko Ikuhara is director, mangaka, novelist and music producer most famous for creating and directing Revolutionary Girl Utena (1997, film 1999), one of the most critically acclaimed and analyzed anime of all time. After Utena, often seen as shoujo equivalent of Neon Genesis Evangelion, rocketed Ikuhara into public consciousness he and Evangelion director Hideaki Anno were perceived as a pair of anime Shuji Terayamas for a while. After Utena film bombed in box office Ikuhara disappeared from major roles in anime industry for long time, focusing instead on manga and novel projects, before returning in 2011 with Mawaru Penguindrum tv series.

Ikuhara's career of course started before Utena. Ikuhara grew up in single parent household with strong interest in arts (and little in relationships as many girls would find out in his high school years) eventually making it to art school. After graduating from Kyoto College of Art in 1985 he joined Toei Animation. In Toei he'd get mentored by Shigeyasu Yamauchi (Casshern Sins) and especially by Junichi Sato (Princess Tutu, Aria) under whom he worked for years. He acted as assistant director on several Sato series such as Maple Town Monogatari, Akuma-kun, Toushou!! Ramen-man and Mooretsu Atarou. He also acted as episode director on Sato's Goldfish Warning! and Sailor Moon.

After Sato stepped down from directing Sailor Moon Ikuhara took over and majority of Sailor Moon R and all of Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon Super S were directed by him. Ikuhara also directed Sailor Moon R film. It was on Sailor Moon Ikuhara started to make serious name for himself and gather attention but, frustrated by limited creative control given him at Toei, he left the production in order to form his own creative group Be-Papas (other members include eg. screenwriter Yoji Enokido and mangaka Chiho Saito). Be-Papas's first project was Revolutionary Girl Utena which was eventually animated at JC Staff.

Utena turned out to be Ikuhara's masterpiece, a superb take on shoujo genre and fairy tales tinged with postmodern and weird psychosexual bottom vibe. It had more subtext than you could wave oddly phallic tower at, rich characters and and audiovisual flamboyance to supply hundred lesser stylists. Series, despite its reputation for being incomprehensible at worst and weird at best, went on to become great critical success and hit on its own right which led to film adaptation of storyline. Unfortunately the film going public did not embrace the feature the same way they had embraced End of Evangelion few years earlier and that put end to Utena's commercial fortunes (if not critical).

During following years Ikuhara was mostly uninvolved with anime, some tongues blaming his supposedly difficult and perfectionist personality, though in reality main reason was sponsor hesitation to invest in story inspired by Sarin Gas attacks of 1995 he wanted to do no matter what. He did some storyboard work and directed some OPs during this time though and was involved in number of non-anime projects. In 2011 he finally made a return with Mawaru Penguindrum, fascinating series heavy on symbolism, serious themes and wacko humour in true Ikuni fashion. It's been said since then he's working on new anime series but nothing beyond its name "Yuri Kuma Arashi" (freeform translation: Lesbo Bear Storm) is known at this point.

Ikuhara's chief influences are varied but mainly they range from from abstract, daring art theatre of 70s like that of Shuji Terayama to arthouse animated erotica of Kanashimi no Belladonna to, perhaps most blatantly, Osamu Dezaki's oeuvre (who influenced pretty much everyone - but few as strongly as Ikuhara). Rose of Versailles in particular exerted heavy influence on Revolutionary Girl Utena. Outside Dezaki his most notable influences are his mentors Yamauchi and Sato, especially Sato to whom Ikuhara owes a lot of his comedic sensibility.

Ikuhara's ornate, tricky directing style is defined by his influences. From Dezaki comes his love of oblique angles and ornate imagery and the ways he goes for emotional impact have something very Dezaki about them. Ikuhara adds plenty of his own traits onto Dezaki template though, namely his love of theatre, metafiction and metaphorical. Ikuhara is decidedly not a naturalist, instead opting in general to show in frame only what is meaningful. This leads to highly artificial, highly intriguing and fascinating mise-en-scene both aesthetically and intellectually. Like his friend Anno Ikuhara is astonishing master in making and using elements within frame as symbols and communicating a lot through such visual cues, but unlike Anno who prefers more subtle appropriation of quite natural objects, Ikuhara aims for Symbolic with big S and in very theatrical terms. Chisel becomes penis violating artist's daughter, girl turns into a car for other girl to ride as she's become engine making escape from hellish situation for latter possible. From his long work in shoujo anime and debuting as director on Sailor Moon also comes apparent love for repetition and downright ritualistic narrative patterns that define great deal of Revolutionary Girl Utena and are also present in Mawaru Penguindrum. Oblique, striking choices in terms of music are also core part of his style, whether it's star role given to work of avant garde composer J.A Seazer in Utena or idiosyncratic covers of songs from rock group ARB in Mawaru Penguindrum. His allocation of animation frames on seemingly trivial pieces has also been source of bemusement within industry.

There's a lot interesting, a lot genius, in Ikuhara's directing style and unsurprisingly it has been highly influential on others, especially with the fledling directors-to-be who Ikuhara took under his wing to work on Utena with relative creative freedom. This list includes major names like Takuya Igarashi (Ouran High School Host club), Mamoru Hosoda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) and Nobuyuki Takeuchi ("Visual Director" on number of SHAFT anime including Bakemonogatari).

Representative work: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Accolades

Sailor Moon S (1994-1995)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1994 Best Episode – Destiny's Arrival" / "Death of Uranus and Neptune!? Talismans Appear (Sailor Moon S ep 110)

Revolutionary Girl Utena & Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse (1997, 1999)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1997 Best Song – Rondo Revolution (Utena)
Animation Kobe 1997 Kobe Award – Kunihiko Ikuhara
Animation Kobe 1997 TV Feature Award – Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation 2000 Best Film, Japanese Release – Revolutionary Girl Utena – Adolescence Apocalypse

Mawaru Penguindrum (2011)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2011 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – Mawaru Penguindrum

Total: 6
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Hiroyuki Imaishi (1971-)

Hiroyuki Imaishi is master animator and anime director who worked mainly for GAINAX before starting his own company Trigger. Imaishi started out in 90s as key animator on Neon Genesis Evangelion, GAINAX's premier series. From hereon his role as animator (and episode director) would continue to grow exponentially larger as his major talents were getting noticed. Some milestones include hyperkinetic work on manga scenes in His and Her Circumstances and FLCL, FLCL's hyperkinetic episode 5 and first episode of Re:Cutey Honey OVA. Through these and other efforts Imaishi quickly established himself as perhaps the foremost successor and master of Kanada-style animation.

Imaishi got his first shot at directing anime of his own with Dead Leaves OVA from 2004, a film imagined as if it was single continuous hyperactive chase scene. While it's not commonly perceived as Hiroyuki Imaishi's best work it perhaps best summarizes the man: his obsession with balls out there animation and movement, balls hanging out in plain view and adolescent crudeness in content, insane angles, character model deformations etc. all come out in one glorious stream of hyperactive madness and action.

In 2007 Hiroyuki Imaishi helmed GAINAX's last (as of this writing) major project and established him as the first great "third generation" GAINAX director: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, over the top tribute to Getter Robo and mecha anime in general. Doing the impossible and breaking the unbreakable were name of the game and this is precisely what team under Imaishi achieved as anime went from something no one had any expectations for into massibe blockbuster success both critically and commercially. Out of all Imaishi's projects this enjoys highest reputation and is most commonly perceived as unqualified thriumph. Imaishi's laissez-faire attitude and willingness to give free hands to his underlings led to work bustling with imaginative animation and his own directing and penchance for over the top elevated the fine script to even higher levels.

In 2010 Imaishi and GAINAX fired the next volley in form of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, incredibly unruly and crude series about two angels banished from heaven. Made largerly as homage to western animation and as excuse for staff to run crazy without any self-censorship Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt was generally well received work but not without sizeable dissident base - the content split viewers pretty roughly in half into those who found it highly original and lovably off the cuff series and those who felt jokes and writing fell flat and animation was not all that impressive parroting of contemporary western styles to boot.

After Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt Imaishi left GAINAX with some fellow animators to find Studio Trigger. At Trigger he contributed to Inferno Cop and of course helps to run company. Right now his first series since PSG, Kill La Kill, is airing on television.

Representative work: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Accolades

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (2007)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2007 Excellence Award – Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (2010)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2011 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Total: 2
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Yasuhiro Imagawa (1961-)

Yasuhiro Imagawa is director and one of the mecha anime masters. Imagawa's name has become pretty much synonymous with passionate remakes of old school super robot anime. It's not without good reason because such series make up majority of his credit list as director and his love for works of eg. Mitsuteru Yokoyama is apparent.

Like most anime industry members of first otaku generation Imagawa was influenced by Yoshiyuki Tomino, especially by his work on Mobile Suit Gundam. However in his case influence ran deeper than with most as Imagawa worked closely with Tomino on Xabungle, L-Gaim and Zeta Gundam as storyboard artist and episode director. During making of Zeta Gundam Imagawa left the production and pretty soon afterwards found himself sitting on director's chair for first time as he was chosen to direct anime adaptation of long-running cooking manga Mr. Ajikko. Series won Atom Award in Japan Anime Grand Prix and, perhaps more notably, inspired Iron Chef.

After Ajikko Imagawa turned to a real passion project of his, Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. This was OVA project written and directed by Imagawa that was set to utilize characters created by Mitsuteru Yokoyama through his career instead of simply adapting pre-existing Giant Robo story. The result was arguably Imagawa's magnum opus: emotionally riveting and captivating tale of operatic proportions that handed viewer martial arts, mecha and emotional stories about fathers and sons in equal intensities. Giant Robo never was too popular in Japan however and the creators spent years labouring on project and trying to gather money, making many sacrifices in the process. The end results are, however, commonly hailed today as exemplary OVA at least in the west.

During making of Giant Robo in early 90s Imagawa got offer to direct a Gundam series of his own. Eager to deliver his own serious, military themed science fiction like original and Zeta Gundam Imagawa was mortified and depressed when Bandai told him what to do: silly show about Gundam brawl tournament. Imagawa fought back and, knowing "proper Gundam" was out of his reach, managed to at least include Devil Gundam storyline and martial arts elements in line with his work on Giant Robo into settei. The production of G Gundam was almost open war between Imagawa and Bandai sponsors with former desperately trying to put focus on his Devil-Gundam storyline and minimize amount of time spent on Gundam brawling. The reception by Gundam fans was generally very negative due to great break it took from other Gundam series. On the other hand it was popular with kids and toy sales were good. Even today G Gundam is highly controversial with viewers split into those who think series was good super robot series on its own terms and Imagawa's victory over Bandai's merchandize machine by inch and those who still find it just dreadful series and insult to whole franchise.

After finally managing to finish Giant Robo Imagawa got attached to writing and directing Getter Robo Armageddon. Something however went terribly wrong during production and he only ended up directing first three episodes (and today his name has been taken off even from those). Getter Robo Armageddon was followed by similar old school robot anime revivals:

- Tetsujin 28-go
- Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z Hen

Uncharacteristically he also did the romantic comedy anime Seven of Seven in early 00s based on his own manga.

Imagawa's style is characterized by strong emotional focus, retro feel (natural given titles he tends to adapt) and combination of mecha action with martial art film tropes. This has won him many fans over the years and reputation as super robot anime master.

Representative work: Giant Robo: The Day Earth Stood Still

Accolades

Mr. Ajikko (1987-1989)

Japan Anime Grand Prix 1988 – Mr. Ajikko

Total: 1
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Noburo Ishiguro (1938-2012)

Noburo Ishiguro was one of the giants. As a director, animation director and teacher at Yoyogi Animation School he affected countless young individuals entering the industry through decades. He also established the studio Artland way back in 1978 and served in major position at the company ever since. He was a man of substance and gentle bearing who often acted as a father figure for young rascals under his supervision, perhaps most notably on Macross.

Noburo Ishiguro was not a great stylist determined to leave his own mark on look of series he worked on: rather he was a man who nurtured talents of people working under him and helped them bloom the best he could. Which is not to say his own talents at the job were anything less than considerable. He was a truly talented director with track record of legends.

First one of Ishiguro's legendary credits comes from Space Battleship Yamato. While producer Yoshinobu Nishizaki and director-writer-settei man Leiji Matsumoto (credits for Yamato have become muddled over years, it's safe to say that while Yamato was Nishizaki's original idea and he pretty much directed the series 99% of designs, characters and story ideas came from Leiji Matsumoto) were the guys namely directing the legendary series and determining where its course would run as a story neither had experience in directing anime.

Noburo Ishiguro was there to translate their ideas into anime, doing majority of storyboards and acting as principal animation director for the title. As such Ishiguro's handmarks are all over the series and indeed, in process of creating Yamato not only did he let Yoshinori Kanada loose in moment of great historical importance for development of Japanese animation he also developed some groundbreaking effect animations of his own.

8 years after Yamato came his second legendary moment in animation history. The young, eager and hungry creators of otaku generation were for first time getting chance to do their own series: these otaku were principally Shoji Kawamori, Ichiro Itano and Haruhiko Mikimoto, the series was Superdimensional Fortress Macross. Studio Nue wanted experienced industry veteran to look over the inexperienced primary creative forces and make sure they don't screw up in process of growing and experimenting. Thus Ishiguro became director SDF Macross, another all time classic. Under his fatherly guidance the young creators' first major work by new generation blossomed.

(note: interviews shortly before his death reveal Ishiguro had little to do with Macross: Do You Remember Love? beyond setting the production running while Shoji Kawamori was the one who actually made all the key creative decisions, despite Ishiguro's co-director credit. This why DYRL is included in Kawamori's director credit list but not Ishiguro's.)

Few years after Macross Ishiguro would turn to third legendary series. He started working on greatest and longest project of his long career: Legend of Galactic Heroes which he directed from its 1988 start to finish in 1998. One of Ishiguro's chief strenghts as director was his ability to read scores, ability almost unique among anime directors and he put his ability into great use when he storyboarded LoGH, series that regularly used classical music.

Men he influenced heavily were many but obvious major case would be Shoji Kawamori who, despite not ever going through formal director training, learned a lot while working under Ishiguro.

Representative work: SDF Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Accolades

SDF Macross (1982)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1982 Editor’s Choice – SDF Macross
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1982 Best Song – Macross (SDF Macross)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1983 Female Character – Misa Hayase (SDF Macross)
Animage Grand Prix 1983 Best Episode – Love Drifts Away (SDF Macross)
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1983 Best Director – Noburo Ishiguro (SDF Macross)
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1983 Best Music – Kentaro Haneda (SDF Macross)
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1983 Fan Award – SDF Macross

Legend of Galactic Heroes (1988-1998)

Animage Anime Grand Prix 1991 Editor’s Choice – Legend of Galactic Heroes

General

Tokyo Anime Awards 2013 Annual Award of Merit – Noburo Ishiguro

Total: 9
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Mitsuo Iso (1966-)

Mitsuo Iso is first and foremost legendary animator whose status as one of the giants of 90s-00s is much more than warranted. All Eva fans know and bow in face of his incredible work on Berserk Eva-01 in episode 19 while MPE vs. Eva-02 fight in End of Evangelion calls for throwing oneself on floor. Gundam fans do the same after witnessing the incredible opening action scene of Gundam 0080 that starts the OVA.

Iso never showed any particular interest in directing, however, though he debuted as episode director on RahXephon. Then in 2007 he went and delivered one of the most highly appraised anime series there is, the science fiction series Dennou Coil which to date is the only anime series to win both Nihon SF Taisho AND Seiun Award.

Iso really is animator first and director distant second but as far as building reputation on single work goes few have matched him.

Representative work: Dennou Coil

Accolades

Nihon SF Taisho Award 2008 – Dennou Coil
Seiun Awards 2008 Best Media of the Year – Dennou Coil
Animation Kobe 2008 Best Director – Mitsuo Iso (Dennou Coil)
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2008 TV Anime Excellence Award – Dennou Coil

Total: 4

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Kenji Kamiyama (1966-)

Way back in 1985 Kenji Kamiyama became background artist for animation company, job at which he'd stay untill Hiroyuki Okiura asked him to act as unit director for Jin-Roh. Afterwards he joined Oshii's schooling for directing in which he stood out "like class rep" according to Oshii. This led to his debut as director on Minipato.

Soon afterwards his first tv anime and major series came out: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. SAC turned out to be great critical and commercial success and it was soon followed by 2nd season and straight-to-tv movie Solid State Society. After SAC Kamiyama adapted Seirei no Moribito fantasy novels into tv anime before launching his first original anime franchise with 2009's Eden of the East. Recently he has done 3D CGI film adaptation of Cyborg 009.

As a director Kamiyama distinguishes himself as notable filmmaking talent and one of the most important anime directors to debut in 00s: from the start guy knew perfectly how to frame, edit and develop a scene or episode and with I.G's astonishing production machine backing them the results are more or less always technically stunning in Kamiyama's series. There're very few "animeisms" in Kamiyama's style as his approach is essentially that of live action film director who happens to deal with animated footage. Kamiyama has gone on record stating he wouldn't have minded becoming Oshii's "body double", pointing out his obvious influence that shadows over the rest in process. In many ways Kamiyama comes off as more conventional (or palatable) Oshii, a man who has absorbed his techniques and style but who does not want to or is not capable of developing his aesthetic to similar degree of individualism and strikingness. Perhaps most clearly this shows on his films which attempt to emulate Oshiiesque detachment and slumbering rhytm but which to many simply come off as tensionless poorly paced exercises in film form and talking heads thanks to failure to evoce the hypnotism Oshii achieves at his best. He's also fond off letting his film buffness show in his works as both SAC and Eden have plenty of film references from Godard to Bourne trilogy. Many of his works have heavy sociological vibe in their thematic focus, especially SAC 2nd Gig and Eden of the East.

It's very hard to say no to Kamiyama's very impressive track record that quickly put him on the map of acknowledged directors.

Representative work: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-2nd Gig-Solid State Society

Ghost in the Shell: STAND ALONE COMPLEX (2002-2003)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2002 Excellence Award – GitS:SAC
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2003 Best Music – Yoko Kanno (GitS:SAC)

Ghost in the Shell: STAND ALONE COMPLEX 2nd Gig (2004-2005)

Animation Kobe 2004 Best Director – Kenji Kamiyama (GitS:SAC 2nd Gig)
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2004 Best Music – Yoko Kanno (GitS:SAC 2nd Gig)

Ghost in the Shell: STAND ALONE COMPLEX: Solid State Society (2006)

Animation Kobe 2007 Best Packaged Work – GitS:SAC:SSS
Japan Media Arts Festival 2006 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – GitS:SAC:SSS

Eden of the East (2009)

Animation Kobe 2009 Best TV Feature Award – Eden of the East
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2010 TV Anime Excellence Award – Eden of the East
Japan Media Arts Festival 2009 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – Eden of the East

Total: 9
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Shoji Kawamori (1960-)

Shoji Kawamori is Japanese mechanical designer, anime creator and director in this order. While the original otaku generation wunderkind is man of many talents Kawamori's primary focus and interest has always been mechanical design and his achievements in the field have few peers. Applying his background in engineering and strive for realism to his creations Kawamori has created many famous and immortal designs, none moreso than the numerous Variable Fighters filling Macross franchise. His other design work range from Gundam to Ghost in the Shell to Eureka Seven to Sony's AIBO. Kawamori's strive for telling stories is however almost as strong as his love for high tech killing machines and from days of Macross onwards he has been involved with numerous different projects as principal creator, all original: his downright fetishistic focus on doing something new and original every time has made sure he has never acted as pen or director for hire the way he could've. Man only does his own projects, most notably the much beloved and influential Macross franchise. Out of his non-Macross works the most acclaimed and famous would be Escaflowne which he created and acted as chief writer for but did not direct. Usually Kawamori directs his creations in order to make sure his vision doesn't get tampered with and unlike Tomino with Gundam he has kept reins of Macross in his hands in rather tight grip, only ever willfully relinquishing control for Macross 7.

Shoji Kawamori like many other fans of his generation was ensnared by double trap of Yamato and Gundam. When he left the theatre in 1977 after screening of Yamato compilation film he knew he wanted to work with anime in his life and soon enough he was working part-time for Studio Nue, providing his first accepted designs for anime series as soon as 1978. During late 70s and early 80s he would go to develop initial first designs for number of toys that would later get turned into Transformers: among these were Optimus Prime, Prowl, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, Ironhide and Ratchet.

If Yamato was the initial punch then Mobile Suit Gundam provided the knockout: soon Kawamori was running Gundam fanzine "Gunsight 01" in his university.

Urge to create his own major science fiction story to rival Yamato and Gundam grew stronger and stronger untill he came up with Macross: transforming mechas, pop idols, war and a "small love story set against the backdrop of great battles" was name of the game and certainly something astonishingly original. Partly powered by his innovative design for the first Variable fighter, VF-1 Valkyrie, the production soon got wind under its wings and under tutelage of director Noburo Ishiguro Kawamori and other young creators got to flap their wings for first time. Macross turned almost immeaditly into giant hit thanks to its original mix of elements, strong characterization and coolness of Valkyrie designs and itano circus that finally fulfilled promise of "real robot" genre that Gundam had started. On SDF Macross Kawamori worked on storyboards, scripts, mechanical designs and as episode director in addition to being series's chief editor which explains why his strongest suite as director has always been notably keen head and sharp eye for editing.

However, Kawamori was not entirely happy with how his story had been changed in places and in order to stop that from happening again he became director on top of story writer and mechanical designer for the film version of story Macross: Do You Remember Love?

In what is surely the most stunning directing debut in anime history barely 24 year old Kawamori delivered a film that went on to become instant classic and milestone still fondly remembered as one of the all time greats today. Not only did Kawamori set high standards for what succesful adaptation from small to big screen ment, the production effort spent on DYRL in itself was absolutely mindboggling. In framerate, detail and complexity of art it set one of the all time high marks of cel anime and crushed absolutely everything in competition. Not even Miyazaki's Nausicaa could compete with the staggering detail present in DYRL. The film would go on to provide gold standard for 80s increasingly ambitious and expensive productions like Honneamise, Akira etc. and to quite large degree the archetypal "80s style" was born in these two hours of dark shadows and ridiculous detail.

After DYRL Kawamori would continue doing design jobs as a steady stream while his attempts at creating new original anime met some incredibly bad luck. He did get Macross Flash Back 2012 done as sort of final nod to Macross but soon found himself face to face with the franchise again. For Macross's 10th Anniversary major rebirth of Macross was planned with Macross 7 television series, Macross Plus OVA/film and Macross: Sentinel as live action Hollywood film. Hollywood plans fell through but Kawamori went on to supervise Macross 7 and write Escaflowne while at the same time acting as chief director (and director alongside with Shinichiro Watanabe) of Macross Plus. Plus was major critical success that together with Akira and Ghost in the Shell formed the initial Trinity that introduced western fans to possibilities and depth of science fiction anime.

After Macross Plus Kawamori went on mainly doing design work and writing Macross Dynamite 7 OVA for rest of 90s but he did direct one other title: a short straight-for-tv animated feature about life of famed poet and children's book author Kenji Miyazawa. Named Spring and Chaos this short film would go on to meet great critical praise and even pocket Broadcasting Culture Foundation Award but overall it has remained the obscure, odd arthouse flick in Kawamori's oeuvre that is rarely seen.

In turn of millenium Kawamori returned to directing anime with incredibly ambitious television series Earth Girl Arjuna with top notch of top notch visuals and production values for 2001, serious topics to address and all around feel of making major artistic statement. Arjuna ended up becoming one of those love-it-or-hate-it titles which - while no one denied beauty of production job - split folks into those feeling it was deep, penetrating look into problems of our era and cautionary in just the right places and those who thought it was environmentalist propaganda hogwash with odd mystical mumbojumbo overtones. Consensus has never been reached.

After Arjuna Kawamori returned to Macross franchise and directed Macross Zero OVA that acted as a prequel to the whole franchise. After Zero was done in 2004 it was time for something different again and Kawamori next created and directed Sousei no Aquarion, bizarre mecha series revolving around concept of gattai, cheap sexual jokes spun of it and odd bits of Zen lecturing. Despite once again efforts in animation, music etc. universally acknowledged as excellent writing left a lot to be desired in eyes of most viewers and most deem Aquarion the worst of Kawamori series he himself directed. It did however have stunning soundtrack and absolute killer of a OP tune that went onto become smash hit following Aquarion pachinko. The popularity of song gave Kawamori chance to retell story of Aquarion in OVA/film format and in 2007 film version of Aquarion was released. General assesment of it is more positive than that of tv series.

In 2007/2008 the most major project in Macross franchise since early 90s came around as Macross Frontier, first tv series since Macross 7 and first one to be helmed by Kawamori, started. Frontier turned out to be a smash, a phenomenal hit both critically and commercially and undeniably the high point of the franchise's popularity since original Macross. The ludicruous music sales of series pop songs went on busting anisong records of past and hailing birth of age of anime singles as top sellers. Frontier started unparalleled boom for Macross franchise that continues to this day. Two films came out in 2009 and 2011, both critical and commercial successes like the mother series.

After conclusion of Frontier in 2011 Kawamori returned to Aquarion franchise with 2012's Aquarion Evol. In contrast to original series Evol was definetly succesful and fairly popular title though its popularity in fandom and sales seemed to suffer clear knock towards end of its run. At the same time Kawamori launched AKB0048, a science fiction series done in collaboration with the massive marketing machine for idol group AKB48. Sequel to AKB0048 followed in winter of 2013.

As of this writing Kawamori is busy working on his upcoming Fool Project which takes on multiple mediums.

Kawamori's obstinate, intentional individualism has led to his attitude toward trying to not consciously imitate work of other directors. It also helps that Kawamori is one of the few major anime directors to never undergo any formal training at all in directing - typically anime directors start out as animators and learn enshutsu/directing under guidance of some production veteran at the studio (for example Takuya Igarashi learning under Kunihiko Ikuhara, Kenji Kamiyama learning under Mamoru Oshii) and their teachers naturally tend to leave strong imprint on their conduct as directors. Nevertheless Kawamori has had his influences, of course. In 80s Yoshiyuki Tomino in particular had great authority in young Kawamori's eyes to point he stopped watching anime for three years after Tomino told him to do that as part of becoming able to create great works. Kawamori has also credited Noburo Ishiguro for teaching him to edit according to sound instead of image which he finds superior approach to take. In terms of mentality he likes Stanley Kubrick's films, especially the odd use of locations and stylistic changes appeals to him, though this only clearly shows in Macross Plus with its rampant 2001 homages.

As a director Kawamori's greatest gifts have always been keen eye for visuals and especially his editing. Original Macross and DYRL feature many strikingly edited sequences that have few to non-existent predecessors in earlier anime while his work on Flash Back 2012 is object lesson in experimental editing and how to construct new meanings from pre-existing footage. Earth Girl Arjuna in turn has some of the greatest blatantly Eisensteinian montages in all anime. His gift in editing dovetails beautifully with his expertise in using music to contrast, expand, underline or subvert action and his concert scenes and sequences have been industry top level consistently at least since DYRL. Kawamori also has long going interest in pushing limits of animation, especially 3DCG - though this can be double edged sword as last use day of CG tends to come around much quicker than that of traditional animation.

Through franchises like Macross and Aquarion Kawamori has proved to be one of the most dedicated followers of tricky "serious but not-serious, comedic but not-comedic" aesthetic with usually strong results.

(note: interviews shortly before his death reveal Ishiguro had little to do with Macross: Do You Remember Love? beyond setting the production running while Shoji Kawamori was the one who actually made all the key creative decisions, despite Ishiguro's co-director credit. This why DYRL is included in Kawamori's director credit list but not Ishiguro's.)

Representative work: Macross franchise

Macross: Do You Remember Love? (1984)

CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 26th Position – Macross DYRL
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1984 Best Song – Ai Oboeteimasuka? (DYRL)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1984 Best Singer – Mari Iijima (DYRL)
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1984 Best Song – Ai Oboeteimasuka? (DYRL)

Spring and Chaos (1997)

Broadcasting Culture Foundation Award (Television Entertainment Category) 1997 – Spring and Chaos

Macross Zero (2002-2004)

Tokyo International Anime Fair 2004 Best OVA Award – Macross Zero

Sousei no Aquarion + Gekijouban Aquarion (2005, 2007)

Tokyo International Anime Fair 2008 Best Music – Yoko Kanno (Gekijouban Aquarion)
JASRAC Silver Award 2009 – Sousei no Aquarion (Victor Entertainment/Yoko Kanno)

Macross Frontier (2008)

Seiun Awards 2009 Best Media of the Year – Macross Frontier
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2009 TV Anime Excellence Award – Macross Frontier
Digital Content Grand Prix 2009 Content Creation Staff Award – Macross Frontier
Animation Kobe 2008 Best Song Award – Triangular (Maaya Sakamoto)
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2009 Best Music – Yoko Kanno (Macross Frontier)
Seiyu Awards 2009 Best Musical Performance – Seikan Hikou (Megumi Nakajima)
This Anime Is Great! Award 2009 1st Position – Macross Frontier

Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime (2009)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2010 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – MF: Utahime

Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa (2011)

Animation Kobe 2011 Best Film – MF: Sayonara no Tsubasa
Newtype Anime Award 2011 Best Film – MF: Sayonara no Tsubasa

Aquarion Evol (2012)

Tokyo International Anime Fair 2013 Best Music – Yoko Kanno (Aquarion Evol, Sakamichi no Apollon)

total: 19
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Satoshi Kon (1963-2010)

There's been no greater single loss to anime industry in this millenium than Satoshi Kon's all too early death due to pancreatic cancer in 2010. Satoshi Kon was a brilliant director who spearheaded anime as valuable subfield of world cinema even outside Ghibli/Hosoda line in 00s the same way Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell (1995) and Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira (1988) had opened eyes for possibilities of the medium before. He created small oeuvre of critically acclaimed feature films and one television series as a director and had a hand in writing few other notable works. He was also mangaka and worked as Katsuhiro Otomo's assistant in the 80s.

Satoshi Kon spent most of his childhood and teenage years in Sapporo, Hokkaido. When he was in high school he decided to aspire for career in animation business, his greatest inspirators being lineup of all time 70s classics Heidi Girl of the Alps, Space Battleship Yamato, Future Boy Conan and Mobile Suit Gundam. Kon was also fan of Otomo's Dome manga and avid viewer of foreign movies in his college days - he was fan of Kurosawa who'd end up having cameo appereance in Paprika (2006) but overall Kon considered himself poorly versed in Japanese cinema. From literature his biggest influences included scifi authors Philip K. Dick and Yasutaka Tsutsui.

Kon debuted as mangaka with 1984 short piece Toriko and afterwards became assistant to Katsuhiro Otomo. Kon would end up working for years under Otomo and getting greatly influenced by him in process: at the time his non-manga works included script for Otomo's live action feature film, doing animation and layout for Roujin Z and layout on Oshii's Patlabor 2. He wrote, did layout and acted as art director for Magnetic Rose short that became the most celebrated part of Otomo's Memories (1995) anthology film. He worked as episode director on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA around this time.

In 1997 Kon would have his directing debut with Perfect Blue, a psychothriller about idol-cum-actress plagued by stalker and increasingly fragile mentality. Perfect Blue would be followed by 2001's Millenium Actress, a love story and beautifully crafted and imaginative tribute to history of Japanese cinema that would've been the big event of 2001 anime were it not for Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away. It continued his fascination with blurred border between real and fantasy and kicked his metafictional engine up to even higher level.

In 2003 Kon followed Actress with lighter and more conventional fair with his very own Christmas movie: Tokyo Godfathers was somewhat idiosyncratic feature film about bunch of homeless people finding abandoned baby and starting a search for its mother filled with Christmas spirit in its own weird, Japanese way. Fittingly enough miracles played a big role in story, occupying space left by lessened metafiction and mind games.

Next year saw release of Paranoia Agent, Kon's first and only anime series. Based on bunch of story ideas he was fond off but which fit poorly his feature projects Paranoia Agent ended up going through number of social issues as well as his general interest in dreams and unreal.

In 2006 Kon's final finished feature project came out: adaptation of SF novel Paprika was something he had wanted to do for a long time and Kon went all out on the film, rich in narrative detail, dancing through metafiction, dreams and science fiction and even some action with ease. Just like his other work Paprika too was critical success and was screened across world to largerly appreciative reaction.

Kon was working on his next film Dreaming Machine when he died. The film remains unreleased due to lack of directing talent comparable to Kon to do it justice - its producer has vowed to bring it to cinema screens when such talent one day finds the project.

As a director Kon's work betrays the influence of his literal and live action inspirators more readily than anime as his films favour relatively "unanimelike" animation and character design style - in this respect he's most clearly inspired by work of his mentor Katsuhiro Otomo. This is not to say he wasn't comfortable with or masterful user of animated medium - he was both and in his obsessive blurring of real and unreal he used medium's advantages to their limits. Another trademark of Kon's style was presence of striking, unique music by Susumu Hirasawa since Millenium Actress.

While his dreamscapes were largerly his own world Kon ended up influencing variety of people from Darren Aronofsky to Christopher Nolan.

Representative work: Millenium Actress, Paranoia Agent

Accolades

Perfect Blue (1998)

Fant-Asia Film Festival 1997 Grand Prize – Perfect Blue
Fantasporto Film Festival 1997 Animation Division Award – Perfect Blue

Millenium Actress (2001)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2001 Animation Division Grand Prize – Millenium Actress
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2003 Best Film award – Millenium Actress
Animation Kobe 2003 Best Film – Millenium Actress
Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 2002 – Millenium Actress
Fant-Asia Film Festival 2001 Best Animation Film – Millenium Actress
Fant-Asia Film Festival 2001 Fantasia Ground-Breaker Award – Millenium Actress
Sitges Film Festival 2001 Orient Express Award – Millenium Actress

Tokyo Godfathers (2003)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2003 Excellence Award – Tokyo Godfathers
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2004 Best Director Award – Satoshi Kon (Tokyo Godfathers)
Mainichi Film Concours 2004 Best Animation Film Award – Tokyo Godfathers
Future Film Festival Best Film Award – Toko Godfathers
Sitges Film Festival 2004 Best Animated Film – Tokyo Godfathers
Digital Content Grand Prix 2003 Minister of Trade, Economy and Industry Award – Tokyo Godfathers

Paranoia Agent (2004)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2004 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – Paranoia Agent

Paprika (2006)

Animation Kobe 2007 Best Film Award – Paprika
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2007 Anime Film Excellence Award – Paprika
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2007 Best Music – Susumu Hirasawa
Fantasporto Film Festival 2007 Critic’s Choice Award – Paprika
Newport Beach Film Festival 2007 Best Animated Film Award – Paprika
Montreal Festival of New Cinema Public’s Choice Award – Paprika
Chlotrudis Awards 2008 Best Visual Design – Paprika

Total: 23
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Mahiro Maeda (1963-)

Mahiro Maeda is anime director and mangaka who has done extensively work as animation director and designer. His impressive list of credits involve everything from visually sumptuous world of his Gankutsou to Neon Genesis Evangelion's Angels. His ties to to studio GAINAX have been strong since days he took part in animating Daicon IV. As a director he has never been all that profilic but he has a healthily sized oeuvre as head of production too.

His work as director has been among the best on roster of studio GONZO where his passion for art, animation and especially new forms of CGI got to bloom in form of Blue Submarine No. 6 OVA (1998). It featured many rather groundbreaking digital techniques for its time and is generally noted for its excellent production values - its story, based on Maeda's own manga, got more mixed reception. Maeda's next work as a director was more of a slump as he headed Gonzo's Final Fantasy: Unlimited which was generally panned by critics and was unpopular with FF fans and general viewership alike.

After FF:U Maeda's next effort as director was directing parts for The Animatrix compilation which was then followed by his most celebrated works as a director: Gankutsou, a brazingly daring and visually inventive science fiction adaptation of classic book The Count of Monte Cristo animated by Gonzo. The series was great critical success and showcased Maeda's striking use of colours and interest in unusual animation techniques and mix of them very well.

After Gankutsou Maeda directed a segment of Genius Party: Beyond OVA. Recently he has joined director team under Hideaki Anno on Rebuild of Evangelion film tetralogy.

As a director Maeda's defining traits are his rich audacious use of colours best showcased by Gankutsuou and his Genius Party short Gala.

Representative work: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Accolades

Blue Submarine No.6 (1997-1998)

Animation Kobe 1999 Best Packaged Work – Blue Submarine No. 6

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (2005)

Animation Kobe 2005 TV Feature Award – Gankutsuou
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2005 TV Anime Excellence Award – Gankutsou

Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Hayao Miyazaki (1941-)

Hayao Miyazaki's figure towers over the entire Japanese anime industry as its de facto leading creator. Like emperor of stable dynasty his suzerainty has no challenger worth mentioning and for countless people anime they've seen and appreciate begins and ends with Miyazaki films. Both in sheer popularity and critical prestige Miyazaki is untouchable - when Akira Kurosawa lamented in 1980s how all the greatest talent in Japan had gone into animation instead of traditional film industry it was Miyazaki and others of his ilk he was thinking. It was Miyazaki who in 1980s opened Japanese eyes for potential of anime as cinematic art with Nausicaa and again it was Miyazaki who led global breakthrough of Japanese animation in 90s and 00s, in process rising into rank of the greatest living directors of films, animated or not, worldwide. In Japan he has won almost every critical honor imaginable during his long career, established Studio Ghibli as unparalleled brand name and become the most beloved filmmaker of his era if not all time - it's unclear if any other Japanese filmmaker can claim honor of 96% Japanese people having seen film of his. He's also only anime director to be made Person of Cultural Merit. Beyond Japan Miyazaki's films have been first anime to win Grand Prix at Annecy and Academy Award, first animated film whatsoever to win Golden Bear etc. and his output at Studio Ghibli have been globally most visible upholders of hand drawn animation tradition at a time when every major american animated studio either focuses on or is exclusively doing 3D animation. His influence and impact in- and outside of Japan is incalculable from countless Japanese animators citing his works as inspirator for becoming animator to Disney and Pixar animators lavishing him with praise. While his most celebrated work has been as director of animated films his achievements as animator, screenwriter (for other Ghibli films) and mangaka have also been notable: in particular his manga version of Nausicaa is commonly celebrated as one of the greatest if not the greatest manga ever made - it is also arguably his magnum opus.

Young Hayao Miyazaki was first and foremost interested in becoming mangaka. His greatest hero was Osamu Tezuka whose works his early attempts at becoming mangaka greatly emulated. His focus changed drastically when he saw Hakujaden (1958, first coloured anime feature film) in theatre. According to Miyazaki he "fell in love with" the heroine and overcome by the animation medium decided to become animator. He wouldn't abandon his mangaka aspirations immeaditly but overall his career focus was determined during this period.

In 1963 Miyazaki joined Toei Animation as in-betweener. He became secretary of Toei's labour union quickly after his arrival and like many of his fellows - for example Isao Takahata - he was involved with left student politics of the 60s, participating in demonstrations against Ampo and other similar activities. As animator he quickly started making a name for himself and his strong will and creative urge found him influencing things greatly beyond his lowly position, especially with 65's Gulliver's Travels Beyond Moon. Miyazaki was unsatisfied with original ending and ended up proposing his own which got accepted and ended up changing the meaning of whole film great deal.

In 68's Hols: Prince of the Sun, a major anime feature film of the decade directed by Isao Takahata, Miyazaki's contributes were big. Not only was he one of the main key animators of the project, he contributed so many story ideas and concepts they had to come up with special credit of "scene design" just for him. The well of creativity and stunning animation Miyazaki had in reserve would bloom on Toei's later Puss in Boots and Animal Treasure Island features in very similar fashion.

Miyazaki would continued to work closely with Isao Takahata for 70s and according to Yasuo Otsuka Miyazaki got his social consciousness and moral focus - in addition to his natural born love of fantasy - from his collaborator. In 1971 he left Toei and ended up working in variety of studios including Mushi Pro and Nippon Animation. Together with Isao Takahata he'd direct 14 episodes of initial Lupin III, changing the nihilistic rich playboy heavy on violence and sex into his more famous goofy (if still luscious) gentleman thief persona. Perhaps the best symbol of gap between original and Lupin/Takahata Lupin III would be change of cars from muscular sportscar to sympathetic small Fiat.

After Lupin III Miyazaki was involved with Takahata's work on World Masterpiece Theatre, most notably doing layout on Heidi Girl of Alps which together with Anna of Green Gables is the most famous and celebrated entry in the series. Around this time Miyazaki would do first of his own creations with Panda, Go Panda!, a children's short films featuring goofy pandas that come off as Totoro prototypes. Panda Go Panda! was still directed by Isao Takahata but soon Miyazaki would debut entirely on his own.

That debut was 1978's television series Future Boy Conan depicting adventure of boy named Conan and girl named Lana in post-apocalyptic world. In typical Miyazaki fashion it was very loosely based on a book, this time The Incredible Tide by Alexander Key, and many of Miyazaki's common motifs first emerge on it. Conan and Lana set the template for Laputa's Pazu and Sheeta, Monsley is archetypical "older woman" Miyazaki character whose shades we see in everyone from Nausicaa to Lady Eboshi. The story even has ecologic bottom vibe and more morally complex villains than was the norm in animated series, more typical Miyazaki trademarks. But first of all Future Boy Conan was a great adventure, full of memorable characters and story rich in twists and turns.

Conan was instant hit and classic from get-go. Countless animators of first otaku generation cite it as a favourite and major influence in deciding to join animation industry and beyond Japan it reached great popularity in Arab world in particular. Having done great work as animator and do-everything kind of guy in industry since early 60s Miyazaki had finally debuted as series director with just as great results.

This would only be beginning and ultimately Conan would remain the only tv series directed by Miyazaki. In 1979 Miyazaki left production of Anne of Green Gables to write and direct Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro as his debut feature. Commonly hailed as one of the all time great anime films it was the definitive feature film in massive Lupin III franchise though not all that commercially succesful on its initial release. The heroine Clarisse would become one of the first and most influential lolicon and 2D complex icons, a fact Miyazaki was not happy with, while its riveting clocktower climax influencing likes of Great Mouse Detective and Atlantis.

After Cagliostro Miyazaki directed two episodes for second Lupin III television series, one of which features prototypes of Laputa's robot as well as Nausicaa, as well astwo early episodes of Sherlock Hound but his main effort at the time was manga Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind serialized in Animage. In 1984 Miyazaki directed film adaptation of his manga at Studio Topcraft to thunderous reception: it made Miyazaki famous and became first major, widely celebrated anime feature. Miyazaki himself however remained uncomfortable with its ending, seeing it as too messianic and religious, and would go on continuing manga on- and off all the way until 1994. Nausicaa also hooked Miyazaki up with composer Joe Hisaishi who'd go on to score his film oeuvre from this point onwards.

Miyazaki's next feature film was Laputa: Castle in the Sky that premiered in 1986. Staff largerly consisted of studio Top Craft members who had done Nausicaa two years earlier - the new studio they set up was named "Ghibli" and originally it was created just for production of this film. Laputa was another major success for Miyazaki and his new studio though it failed to meet Nausicaa's sales. Over decades Laputa has emerged as perhaps his most popular film in Japan apart from Totoro.

After Laputa Miyazaki did My Neighbour Totoro as double feature with Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies. Released in 1988 Totoro would end up becoming major success like his previous films and only reason it didn't outdo Nausicaa and Laputa was due to being only released as double feature. Nothing could stop Totoro from growing into cultural institution and figure most closely comparable to Japanese Mickey Mouse - an instantly recognizable cultura icon. Coming generations of Japanese kids would grow up with the feature and it's safe to say Totoro is probably the most beloved children's film ever made in Japan if not whole world. Named one of his favourite films by no other than Akira Kurosawa himself its status as one of the all time great animation films with children and adults has not been lost to decades of influence - same goes for its stunning originality in narrative and construction which as definitive slice of life flavour to it that is overall as non-existent in feature films as it is ubiquitous in films of Miyazaki's mature period.

After Totoro took over Japan (and eventually world on home video) Miyazaki's next work was Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), a charming coming of age story about early teenage witch Kiki setting out into great big world on his own. Like its predecessors Kiki was critical success and would go on to become beloved classic and it featured the same kind of "slice of lifesque" storytelling Totoro had. It was also massive blockbuster success and without limits double billing went on to become Miyazaki's greatest commercial success up to this point.

In early 90s Miyazaki worked as producer on Isao Takahata's Ghibli feature Only Yesterday but his main creation at this period was Porco Rosso, by far the most personal of his feature films. In great distinction from most of Ghibli's output its target audience wasn't children but "a movie which tired businessmen on international flights can enjoy even with their minds dulled due to lack of oxygen". It was a somewhat melancholic - if still overall happy and thriumphant - film heavy on nostalgia and a loving tribute to early era of aviation and out of all Miyazaki films most clearly in love with classical cinema. Apart from The Wind Rises it's out of his films least steeped in fantasy. Porco Rosso would go on to become Miyazaki's international breakthrough as it pocketed the prestigious Grand Prix at France's Annecy. After Porco Rosso Miyazaki would direct ambitious and ambiguous music video for Chage & Aska's On Your Mark that played before Whisper of the Heart in theatres (Ghibli film directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, script and storyboards by Miyazaki as well as directing of fantasy sequences)

After finishing magnum opus manga in 1994 Miyazaki would go on to create his first major film to be event on global scale: Mononoke Hime came out in 1997 and would go on to bust box office records in Japan as well as critical prestige incomparable to any anime film before it, sweeping over world introducing brand of animatated filmmaking astonishingly different from fare of Disney or old Warner Bros to great critical reverrence. Miyazaki was now a major name world over as visionary creator and director of animation films.

It was hard to imagine Miyazaki topping popularity of Mononoke Hime but that's exactly happened with 2001's Spirited Away. Capitalizing on groundwork done by Porco Rosso and Mononoke Hime Spirited Away went to bust Japan's box office records - again for Miyazaki - and sweep over the world as unparalleled masterpiece of modern animation. Outdoing even Mononoke Hime in commercial success and critical prestige quantitavely speaking Spirited Away would stand out as summit of Miyazaki's illustrious career without comparison: It is the most acclaimed Japanese animated film ever made, the most succesful Japanese film of quite few decades and one of the most acclaimed animated movies of all time, even scoring place in TSPDT's most acclaimed film's of 21st century top five.

Miyazaki would follow Spirited Away with 2004's Howl's Moving Castle, another critical and commercial success story as expected from the master. It didn't quite measure up to success of Mononoke Hime and Spirited Away however and for the first time Miyazaki encountered some non-marginal criticism for supposedly confusing story and warped narrative structure, presumably affected by Howl's difficult production. Nevertheless overall Howl was another thriumphant success and Miyazaki would go on to name it his favourite out of his own oeuvre.

After Howl's Moving Castle Miyazaki got rid off Ghibli's CG section that had worked from Mononoke Hime to Howl and studio returned to 100% hand drawn cel animation for Ponyo (2009) in move of stunning courage and sheer stubborness against flow of the time. Ponyo is nothing if not masterpiece of cel animation, a flabbergasting festival of hand drawn animation - granted same can be said of Ghibli's output in general. Ponyo was Miyazaki's first film aimed at small children since Totoro and to accomodate he let the rules of normal storytelling and filmmaking fall by even more than usual: Ponyo is film depicted with 5 year old's understanding of story logic and narrative connections, making it perhaps the most radical and dreamlike of all Miyazaki films in terms of storytelling style. While some viewers were less than happy with perceived gaps in storytelling overall Ponyo was major critical and commercial success, receiving 5 minute standing ovation at Venice Film Festival and earning lavish praise among the world. Reportedly it was also the most beloved Miyazaki film after Totoro among film's primary target audience.

In summer 2013 Miyazaki announced his retirement from feature films soon after release of his latest film, The Wind Rises. The Wind Rises is film about life of Jiro Horikoshi - designer of Zero fighter - and is his first film not to have any fantasy elements outside dream sequences and the like. The film has gone on to meet the commercial and critical success typical of any Miyazaki production but has also stirred no small amount of controversy both from left and right due to its subject matter. Only time will tell whether or not The Wind Rises shall be viewed among Miyazaki's greatest achievements or not but already its success has guaranteed Miyazaki has exited the stage with grace fitting his status as major filmmaker, the greatest Japanese director of his generation and de facto leading animation film director in the world.

Miyazaki's directing style has been endlessly discussed and academically dissected through the decades and there's little original that can be said about tools shaping the alluring magic of his films. Let it be said that he's peerless master of his chosen medium, any cursory viewing revealing indepth and penetrating understanding of film form and animation, while his narratives are often as as characteristic and unique in construction and pacing as his design work and stories themselves are wildly imaginative. Some notable traits of his filmmaking style include lack of scripts - Miyazaki goes straight for storyboards - and degree of control over animation itself no other auteur in the industry maintains. Up to old age Miyazaki personally checked and typically revised every key frame of his films, in process giving that characteristic Miyazaki frame to even simplest movement on the screen. From Spirited Away onwards he has had to rely bit more on animation directors as is industry norm but even on The Wind Rises he was doing checks personally. It's impossible to imagine Miyazaki film without this overbearing total control on production and results have justified the approach decade after decade. One fascinating characteristic of Miyazaki's art is subtle abandonment of strict perspective which he sees as illusion of western art theories that does not match how our brains actually process the visual data provided by our eyes. Another trademark is pacing films in a way that allows for sustained, atmospheric sequence low on absolute relevance for storyline at keypoint: girls waiting for bus in rain in Totoro and the phenomenal train sequence in Spirited Away are excellent examples.

Anno Domini 2013: Miyazaki's standing as the "Disney" of Japan and grandmaster of anime goes unchallenged despite countless decades and other brilliant minds that have worked in the industry. Now that he is retiring and there's no worthy successor in sight questions about fate of Ghibli, future of industry, who becomes "next Miyazaki" or meta-question are these questions at all relevant are coming forth with greater strenght than ever before.

Representative work: Nausicaa Of The Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro, Mononoke Hime, Spirited Away

Accolades

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro (1979)

CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 7th Position – Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Kinema Jumpo 2010 All Time Ten Best Anime Films 1st Position – Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 1980 – Lupin III: Caste of Cagliostro
Animage Grand Prix 1982 Best All-Time Anime Award – Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Animage Grand Prix 1983 Best All-Time Anime Award – Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Animage Grand Prix 1984 Best All-Time Anime Award – Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Animage Grand Prix 1983 All Time Best Female Character – Clarisse D’Cagliostro
Animage Grand Prix 1984 All Time Best Female Character – Clarisse D’Cagliostro

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Seiun Awards 1985 Best Media of the Year – Nausicaa
Kinema Jumpo 2010 All Time Ten Best Anime Films 2nd Position – Nausicaa
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 1st Position – Nausicaa
Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 1984 – Nausicaa
Agency of Cultural Affairs 1985 Excellent Movie – Nausicaa
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1985 Reader’s Choice Best Film – Nausicaa
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1985 Reader’s Choice Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaa)
National Eiren Award Japanese Division 1st Position – Nausicaa
Fantafestival 1985 Best short film Award – Nausicaa
WWF Recommendation – Nausicaa
1st Japanese Video Soft Awards Best Anime – Nausicaa
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1984 Best Anime – Nausicaa
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1984 Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Nausicaa)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1984 – Nausicaa
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1984 Editor’s Choice – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1985 All Time Best Female Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1986 All Time Best Female Character - Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1987 All Time Best Female Character - Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1988 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1989 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1990 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1991 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1992 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1993 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1995 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1996 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa
Animage Grand Prix 1997 All Time Best Character – Nausicaa

Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986)

Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 1986 – Laputa
Pia Ten Pictures’s Group 1st Position – Laputa
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 5th Position – Laputa
Kinema Jumpo 2010 All Time Ten Best Anime Films 10th Position – Laputa
Agency of Cultural Affairs 1987 Excellent Movie – Laputa
City Road Readers Ten Best Japanese Films 1st Position – Laputa
Motion Picture Arts Best Japanese Film – Laputa
Osaka Japanese Film Festival Best Movie – Laputa
Japanese Movie’s Reconstruction Special Award – Hayao Miazaki, Isao Takahata (Laputa)
Abikku Video Awards 1987 Best Animation – Laputa
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1986 – Laputa
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1986 Editor’s Choice – Laputa
Animage Grand Prix 1988 All Time Best Song – Kimi wo Nosete (Laputa)
Central Child Welfare Council Special Recommendation – Laputa

My Neighbour Totoro (1988)

Seiun Awards 1988 Best Media of the Year – Totoro
Mainichi Film Concours Best Film Award 1989 – Totoro
Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 1989 – Totoro
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 10th Position – Totoro
Kinema Jumpo 2010 All Time Ten Best Anime Films 3rd Position – Totoro
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1989 Best Film – Totoro
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1989 Reader’s Choice Best Japanese Film – Totoro
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1989 Reader’s Choice Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Totoro)
Blue Ribbon Awards 1989 Special Award - Totoro
Yamaki Fujimo Film Award 1988 – Hayao Miyazaki (Totoro)
Hochi Film Award 1988 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki
Movie Art 1988 Best Japanese Film – Totoro
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1988 Best Anime – Totoro
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1988 Best Screenplay – Hayao Miyazaki (Totoro)
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1988 Best Song – Sanpo (Totoro)
Minister of Education’s 1999 Art Encouragement Award – Totoro
Art Encouragement 1988 Art Award – Totoro
Agency of Cultural Affairs Excellent Film production incentive grant work – Totoro
Ministry of Health and Welfare, Central Children Welfare Council 1988 special recommendation – Totoro
City Road Readers Ten Best Japanese Films 1st Position – Totoro
Cine Front 1988 Ten Best Japanese Films 1st Position – Totoro
National Eiren Award Best Film – Totoro
National Eiren Award Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Totoro)
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1988 – Totoro
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1988 Editor’s Choice – Totoro
Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
Mainichi Film Concours 1989 Best Animation Film Award – Kiki
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1989 Reader’s Choice Best Japanese Film – Kiki
Japan Academy Award 1990 Topic of the Year Award – Kiki
Elan d’Or Awards Special Award – Kiki
Golden Gross 1989 Gold Excellence Award – Kiki
Golden Gross 1989 Money Making Best Director Award – Hayao Miyazaki (Kiki)
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1990 Reader’s Choice Best Japanese Film – Kiki
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1990 Reader’s Choice Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Kiki)
National Eiren Award Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Totoro)
National Eiren Award Best Film – Kiki
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 17th Position – Kiki
Agency of Cultural Affairs Excellent Film production incentive grant work – Kiki

Porco Rosso (1992)

Annecy International Animation Film Festival 1993 Grand Prix – Porco Rosso
Mainichi Film Concours 1992 Best Animation Film Award – Porco Rosso
Mainichi Film Concours 1992 Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Porco Rosso)
Agency of Cultural Affairs 1992 Excellent Movie – Porco Rosso
Nikkan Sports Movie Awards 1992 Ishihara Jujiro Award – Porco Rosso
Golden Gross 1992 Gold Excellence Award – Porco Rosso
Golden Gross 1989 Money Making Best Director Award – Hayao Miyazaki (Porco Rosso)
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 16th Position – Porco Rosso

Mononoke Hime (1997)

Japan Academy Awards 1997 Picture of the Year – Mononoke Hime
The Association of Movie Viewing Groups 1997 Best Japanese Movie – Monoke Hime
Hochi Film Award 1997 Special Award – Mononoke Hime
Nikkan Sports Film Awards 1997 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Mononoke Hime)
Takasaki Film Festival 1997 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Mononoke Hime)
Agency of Cultural Affairs 1997 Excellent Movie – Mononoke Hime
Japan Media Arts Festival 1997 Grand Prize – Mononoke Hime
Asahi Best Ten Film Festival Best Japanese Movie – Mononoke Hime
Asahi Best Ten Film Festival Reader’s Choice Award – Mononoke Hime
Nihon Keizai Shimbun Award for Excellency – Mononoke Hime
Nihon Keizai Shimbun Nikkei Awards for Excellent Products and Service – Mononoke Hime
Theater Division Award 1997 Asahi Digital Entertainment Award – Mononoke Hime
MMCA Special Award 1997 Multimedia Grand Prix – Mononoke Hime
Osaka Film Festival 1997 Special Achievement Award – Mononoke Hime
The Movie’s Day 1997 Special Achievement Award – Mononoke Hime
Fumiko Yamaji Award 1997 Cultural Award – Mononoke Hime
Blue Ribbon Awards 1997 Special Award – Mononoke Hime
Kinema Jumpo Awards 1997 Reader’s Choice Best Japanese Film – Mononoke Hime
Mainichi Film Concours 1997 Best Animation Film Award – Mononoke Hime
Mainichi Film Concours 1997 Best Film Award – Mononoke Hime
Mainichi Film Concours 1997 Reader’s Choice Best Film Award – Mononoke Hime
Nikkan Sports Movie Awards 1997 Ishihara Jujiro Award – Mononoke Hime
Mainichi Art Award Film and Video Department – Mononoke Hime
Elan d’Or Awards Special Award – Mononoke Hime
Japan Pen Club Awards 1997 5 Best Japanese Films 1st Position – Mononoke Hime
Takasaki Film Festival 1997 Best Director – Mononoke Hime
Agency of Cultural Affairs 1997 Excellent Movie – Mononoke Hime
Yomiuri Film and Theatre Excellent Movie Award – Mononoke Hime
Film Watching National Liaison Committee Best Japanese Movie Award – Mononoke Hime
Golden Gross 1997 Gold Excellence Award – Mononoke Hime
Golden Gross 1997 Distinguished Service Award – Mononoke Hime
39th Japan Record Awards Composition Award – Joe Hisaishi (Mononoke Hime)
The 39th Japan Record Award Project/Planning Award – Mononoke Hime
Animation Kobe 1997 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Mononoke Hime)
Animation Kobe 1997 Best Film – Princess Mononoke
Animage Anime Grand Prix 1997 Editor’s Choice – Princess Mononoke
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 9th Position – Princess Mononoke

Whale Hunt (2001)

Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 2001

Spirited Away (2001)

Berlin International Film Festival 2001 Golden Berlin Bear – Spirited Away
Blue Ribbon Award 2001 Best Film – Spirited Away
Nikkan Sports Film Award 2001 Best Film – Spirited Away
New York Film Critics Circle Award Best Animated Film – Spirited Away
Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award LAFCA Award – Spirited Away
Boston Society of Film Critics Awards Special Commendation – For artistic contribution to the field of animation – Spirited Away
Cambridge Film Festival 2001 Audience Award Best Film – Spirited Away
National Board of Review of Motion Pictures Best Animated Film – Spirited Away
Cinekid Festival Cinekid Film Award – Spirited Away
Durban International Film Festival Best Film – Spirited Away
Kinema Jumpo Awards Reader’s Choice Best Film – Spirited Away
Mainichi Film Concours 2001 Best Animated Film – Spirited Away
Mainichi Film Concours 2001 Best Film – Spirited Away
Mainichi Film Concours 2001 Best Japanese Film – Spirited Away
Mainichi Film Concours 2001 Reader’s Choice Award Best Film – Spirited Away
Mainichi Film Concours 2001 Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away)
Mainichi Film Concours 2001 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away)
San Fransisco International Film Festival Best Narrative Feature – Spirited Away
Sitges Film Festival 2001 Special Mention – Spirited Away
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2001 Animation of the Year Award – Spirited Away
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2001 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away)
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2001 Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away)
Japan Academy Awards 2001 Picture of the Year – Spirited Away
Japan Academy Awards 2001 Chairman’s Achievement Award – Spirited Away
Japan Academy Awards 2001 association special award (theme song) – Itsumo Nandemo (Spirited Away)
Hong Kong Film Awards 2001 Best Asian Film – Spirited Away
Academy Award 2002 Best Animated Feature – Spirited Away
Online Film Critics Society Award Best Animated Feature – Spirited Away
Film Critics Circle of Australia Best Forein Film – Spirited Away
Satellite Award Best Feature, animated or mixed media – Spirited Away
Phoenix Film Critics Society Award Best Animated Film – Spirited Away
Florida Film Critics Circle Best Animation – Spirited Away
Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Award Best Animated Film – Spirited Away
Asterdam Fantastic Film Festival Silver Scream Award – Spirited Away
Annie Award for Outstanding Directing in an Animated Feature – Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away)
Annie Award for Outstanding Writing in an Animated Feature – Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away)
Cambridge Film Festival Audience Award Best Film – Spirited Away
Cinema Writers Circle Awards, Spain Best Foreign Film – Spirited Away
Broadcast Film Critics Association Best Animated Feature – Spirited Away
Japan Media Arts Festival 2001 Grand Prize – Spirited Away
Japan Media Arts Festival 2001 Special Prize – Spirited Away
Film Watching National Liaison Committee Best Japanese Movie Award – Spirited Away
Japan Internet Movie Awards 2002 Best Film – Spirited Away
Japan Otaku Awards Brown Bear Award – Spirited Away
Golden Arrow Awards Special Award – Spirited Away
National Kogyo Environenmetal Health Brotherhood Federation's Special Grand Award – Spirited Away
Golden Gross 2001 Gold Excellence Award – Spirited Away
Golden Gross 2001 Special Award – Spirited Away
Golden Gross 2001 Money Making Best Director Award – Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away)
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 11th Position – Spirited Away

Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)

Sitges Film Festival 2004 Audience Award Best Film – Howl
Hollywood Film Festival Hollywood Film Award Animation of the Year – Howl
Mainichi Film Concours 2004 Reader’s Choice Award Best Film – Howl
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2005 Animation of the Year Award – Howl
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2005 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Howl)
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2005 Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Howl)
San Diego Film Critics Society Award Best Animated Feature – Howl
New York Film Critics Circle Awards Best Animated Feature – Howl
Nebula Award 2007 Best Script – Howl
Venice Film Festival 2004 Golden Osella for Outstanding technical contribution – Howl
Japan Media Arts Festival 2004 Excellence Award – Howl
Maui Film Festival 2005 Best Film – Howl
Los Angeles Film Critics Association Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Howl)
Golden Gross 2005 Gold Excellence Award Japanese Films Division – Howl
Golden Gross 2005 Money Making Best Director Award – Hayao Miyazaki (Howl)

Ponyo (2008)

Venice Film Festival 2008 Future Film Festival Digital Award Special Mention – Ponyo
Venice Film Festival 2008 Mimmo Rotella Foundation Award – Ponyo
Japanese Academy Awards 2009 Best Animation Film – Ponyo
Japanese Academy Awards 2009 Best Music – Joe Hisaishi (Ponyo)
Japanese Academy Awards 2009 Shigeru Okada Award – Studio Ghibli (Ponyo)
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2009 Animation of the Year Award – Ponyo
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2009 Best Director – Hayao Miyazaki (Ponyo)
International Tokyo Anime Fair 2009 Best Original Story – Hayao Miyazaki (Ponyo)
CIAK Magazine Audience Award – Ponyo
Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 2008 – Ponyo
Asian Film Awards Best Score – Joe Hisaishi (Ponyo)
Japan Film Critics Awards Film Music Award – Joe Hisaishi (Ponyo)

General

The Berkeley Japan Prize (2009-2010)
Person of Cultural Merit (2012)

Total: 211

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Kenji Nakamura (1970-)

Kenji Nakamura originally worked as salaryman for few years after graduating before joining Toei Animation as animator. He had to quit due to tendinitis however, and started to work up through the production process towards directing duties.

In 2006 he became director of original Bakeneko story arc in Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales and since then he has been the staple noitamina director, directing many of the most critically reverred series to have aired on the prestigious time slot.

His most commercially succesful and celebrated series is Mononoke, spinoff of Ayakashi's Bakeneko focusing on its main character Medicine Seller. Widly unconventional in its visuals Mononoke became great critical hit with also some surprisingly strong sales. Nakamura followed the act with 2009's Kuchuu Buranko/Trapeze which featured gawdy experimental visual style quite distinct from Mononoke's. It too was critical success.

In 2011 it was turn for [C]: Control - The Money of Soul and Possibility, ambitious series revolving around finance and economy seen through lenses of fantasy. C wasn't a comparable success and its often poor animation quality and production issues early on kept the series under the obscurity treshold. Nakamura followed C with yet another noitamina series with 2012's Tsuritama, oddball combination of fishing slice of life and comedic alien storyline. In 2013 Nakamura's newest series Gatchaman Crowds, radical reimagining of Gatchaman franchise, followed.

Nakamura's works are notable for their visual flair and experimentation that is especially pronounced in Mononoke and Kuuchuu Buranko. This visual flair is combined with in general "artsy" style and unconventional topics, whether it's mental illnesses in Buranko or financial crisis in C. Even his most conventional series Tsuritama has notably oddball storyline and striking watercolour flavoured art direction. Another distinctive feature is highly patterned editing especially in Mononoke and Kuuchuu Buranko.

Representative work: Mononoke, Trapeze

Accolades

Kuuchuu Buranko (2009)

Cartoons on the Bay Pulcinella Award for Best Television Series (Young Adults) – Kuuchuu Buranko

Last edited by Xard on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Ryutaro Nakamura (1955-2013)

Like Satoshi Kon three years earlier anime industry lost Ryutaro Nakamura to pancreatic cancer in summer 2013. Unlike with Kon this didn't come out from nowhere as Nakamura had been off from the industry for long time due to health issues but it doesn't make the loss any less sad.

Nakamura worked for Madhouse till 1986 when he became freelance director. At the time like so many others he had been influenced a lot by pioneering genius of Osamu Dezaki and this showed in his willingless to modify anime that had original story from other medium underpinning it and above all in cultivation of unique visual style.

He debuted as director with 1994 film adaptation of Kenji Miyazawa's Gusko Budori no Denki which was followed by his work as director of Legend of Crystania OVA and film.

Next came his most famous and celebrated work: Serial Experiments Lain in 1998. Lain presented the arthouse side of Japanese television anime that sprung up after Neon Genesis Evangelion in its full glory perhaps better than any other series and it would go to earn great deal of critical and academic glory, even if understandably mass popularity always evaded Lain. The massively talented team featuring mercurial producer Yasujuki Ueda, horror writer Chiaki Konaka, character designer and general idea guy Yoshitoshi ABe found a perfect fit leader for series in Nakamura. Nakamura's paranoid and somewhat discomforting visual style full of distorted lenses, odd angles and abstract imagery suited the challenging material perfectly but it was with his trademark mastery of sound Nakamura left the biggest impact on Lain's strange universe.

After Lain Nakamura directed Colorful, tv anime short series about guys perving after women in contrastingly MTVesque, experimental fashion with wacked out editing. It was curiosity more than anything but stands out as one of the most unique takes on lechery forms of Japanese humour. Colorful was followed by work as director of Sakura Wars, easily the most commercially success series headed by him would enjoy.

In 2003 Nakamura would head adaptation of Kino's Journey light novel series into animation, his idiosyncratic and experimental style again a perfect fit stories told like with Lain. After Kino's Journey Nakamura would direct adaptation of seiyuu romantic comedy manga Rec at Shaft to some modest popularity before getting reunited with Lain writer Konaka to work with Masamune Shirow on Ghost Hound, Production I.G's ambitious anniversary series.

The series failed to replicate success of Lain and enjoys somewhat mixed reputation today. However, after Ghost Hound Nakamura was set to collaborate again with the core Lain team with ABe and Konaka both partaking in creating anime adaptation of Dadaist poet Jun Tsuji's poem Despera. The series was put on indefinite hold as Nakamura's health problems got worse and it's unclear what the fate of project is now that Nakamura is dead.

Nakamura's striking features as director were visual daringness, whether the use of distorted lens and odd angles on Lain or using strange filters for all frames in Kino's Journey and above all mastery use of sound. Not unlike strikingness of Lynchian soundscapes in feature films it was very rare for tv anime's sound design to be subject of major effort or stylistic world of its own. Neon Genesis Evangelion was perhaps the first series to truly achieve remarkable results here with its desolate, empty soundscapes punctured by construction noises, train alarms and the like.

Nakamura worked in similar stylistic vein to Eva but with somewhat Lynchian focus on hypnotic and oppressive sounds to even greater extent: it's impossible to forget oppressive hum of electric wires and chattering offscreen voices in Lain, for example. With death Nakamura anime lost its perhaps most Lynchian acolyte of sound.

Representative work: Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey

Accolades

Serial Experiments Lain (1998)

Japan Media Arts Festival 1998 Excellence Award – Serial Experiments Lain

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Hiroyuki Okiura (1966-)

Hiroyuki Okiura is one of the most legendary realist school animators around, well known for his impressive and insanely detailed animation in films like Akira, Patlabor 2 and Ghost in the Shell (on which he acted as animation director). If this was entry on him as animator this would be long list of legendary feats indeed.

Okiura is also director, most heavily influenced by working under Mamoru Oshii, of considerable talent himself. As master class animator Okiura infuses his films with superb character animation along the lines he does as animator - looking at character animation in A Letter to Momo it isn't surprising to learn it took years and years of perfectionism to make.

In 1999 he debuted with the much celebrated feature Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Part of Mamoru Oshii's Kerberos Saga - he also wrote Jin-Roh - Jin-Roh tells story of Kazuki Fuse, a member of Kerberos police platoon who gets involved with elder sister of radical anti-government agent whose suicide bombing Kazuki failed to stop. It is dark story full of intrigue between agencies, allusions to little red riding hood and romance and it went onto become immediate critical darling after its release.

In 2001 Okiura directed opening credit sequence for Watanabe's Cowboy Bebop film but his true 2nd outing as director would take a while: until 2011 to be precise when A Letter to Momo finally got released following 7 year long production process. The film tells story of 11 year old girl who moves from Tokyo to countryside following death of her father and features fantasy elements in what is overall much more typical animated film fare about girl going through personal struggle in her growing up process. Momo too was a critical succes like Jin-Roh and one can only hope it doesn't take another 12 year break until we get Okiura's third film.

Representative work: Jin-Roh

Accolades

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (1999)

Mainichi Film Concours 1999 Best Animation Film Award – Jin-Roh
Fantasporto Film Festival 1999 Fantasia Section Award – Jin-Roh
Fantasporto Film Festival 1999 International Fantasia Film Special Jury Award – Jin-Roh
Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival 2000 Minami Toshiko Award – Jin-Roh
Japanese Professional Movie Awards 2001 Special Award –Hiroyuki Okiura (Jin-Roh)
Animation Kobe 2000 Best Director – Hiroyuki Okiura (Jin-Roh)

A Letter to Momo (2011)

Future Film Festival 2012 Best Film Award – A Letter to Momo
New York International Children’s Film Festival 2012 Best Feature Film – A Letter to Momo
Japan Media Arts Festival 2011 Excellence Award – A Letter to Momo
Fantasia Film Festival 2012 Audience Award for Best Animated Film – A Letter to Momo
Kinder Film Festival 2012 Special Jury Award – A Letter to Momo
Minister of Culture, Sports, Science and Technology’s Newcomer’s Encouragement 2012 in Media Arts Department – A Letter to Momo
Japan Academy Award for Animation of the Year 2012 Excellence Award – A Letter to Momo

Total: 13

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Mamoru Oshii (1951-)

Mamoru Oshii is one of the greatest legends. Hayao Miyazaki excluded he is probably the most recognized of anime auteurs with his instantly recognizable slow moving, cerebral storytelling style combined with trademark audiovisual presentation in many highly reverred classic films. He was the first one to really start stretching limits of commercial anime making by mugging Urusei Yatsura in arthouse alleys before pushing further into the outer limits of "commercial art". Oshii's greatest hour came with his film adaptation of Ghost in the Shell, its high concept philosophical storyline and superb stylistic presentation showcasing to world the creative heights animated science fiction could reach and together with Akira and Macross Plus helped to sell this serious brand of SF in the west. His hotly anticipated GitS sequel was the first animated feature to ever enter main competition in Cannes and his follow-up film Sky Crawlers would get similarly warm reception at film festivals. While his works have never been particularly succesful commercially and they're known to split audiences there's not slightest doubt Oshii belongs to uppermost echelons of anime directors as very few of his collegues can match the reverence and critical appreciation his work has inspired at its best. In addition to directing anime Oshii has written novels, manga, screenplays and also directed live action films with varying success.

Mamoru Oshii grew up in Tokyo watching movies to which his oft. unemployed private detective father often took him. As a student he was deeply immersed in European arthouse cinema: Fellini, Bergman, Antonioni, Godard and others were household and objects of reverence to him. In particular a strong early influence was Chris Marker's experimental science fiction short film La jetée. Andrei Tarkovsky was also particularly strong early influence to whose films Oshii's own oeuvre owns a lot - his repeating visual motifs share a lot common ground with Tarkovsky and it's clear where the moody atmosphere and languid, at best hypnotic (and at worst suffocating) pacing of his films comes from.

After graduating from Tokyo Gakugei University in 1976 unemployed Oshii saw notice of Tatsunoko Productions looking for workers. He answered the notice and got the job starting quickly as storyboard artist for the company. Oshii would continue drawing storyboards for multitude of series and doing some unit/episode director work untill in 1980 he left to join Studio Pierrot and continue studying directing under his mentor Hisayuki Toriumi. In 1981 he got his debut as director on Urusei Yatsura, the massive hit comedy series of the time. His work as director of Urusei Yatsura's first 101 episodes and first feature brought him into limelight. Urusei Yatsura set the general standards for television anime at the time with its tight (by then-standards of anime) lip sync, tight episode structures culminating in clear punchline etc. - however, it was his next film that truly marked him out.

Feeling he finally had established himself Oshii took his proposed script for second Urusei Yatsura film to Rumiko Takahashi. It was bizarre, moody and complex story drawing deeply from folk story of Urashima Tarou, revolving around dreams and illusions. This "Beautiful Dreamer" was so different from Urusei Yatsura in general Takahashi struggled accepting it, but finally Oshii got go ahead notice for first of his films to be done in his recognizable style. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer as it was called hit the cinema screens in 1984 to great reviews and today it is remembered as one of the greatest anime films of decade. Oshii had truly made his way into relative stardom on wings of Urusei Yatsura.

His next film however would end up derailing his career. In 1983 Oshii had began to stretch out from Pierrot as independent director and had created OVA Dallos that year, a fetid science fiction story only notable for being historically the first OVA release. In 1985 Oshii would go on to work on his next OVA with Studio DEEN: this OVA was to be called Angel's Egg. Eventually it went down in history as movie due to few special screenings of very limited scale. Angel's Egg, bizarre and dark story about little girl protecting massive egg and man wanting to break it, was catastrophic disaster as viewers found it incomprehensible and obtuse.

He did however get involved in talks with Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and Toshi Suzuki (producer of Nausicaa and future Ghibli president, also producer of Angel's Egg) about making a film together called Anchor. However these plans came to nothing due to artistic differences although Oshii would remain friends with Suzuki and Miyazaki from now on.

Following Angel's Egg and disintegration of Anchor plans Oshii's career hit rock bottom and he struggled to find any work for years. Sole spot of light came in 1987 when he did episode two of Visitor Q OVA, drawing heavily from his family background and La jetee to craft surreal, dark private detective story for OVA's second and final release.

1988 would finally turn the tide: he joined creative group HEADGEAR as director on insistence of his friend screenwriter Kazunori Ito (also member). The group's first creation became immensely popular from the getgo: Mobile Police Patlabor was one of the most popular OVAs of its day and would go on to sustain popular television series and feature film sequels. Oshii's career was in full swing after the OVA story about mecha using police officers found appreciating audience and he'd direct big budget Patlabor movies next. Films followed suite of series in terms of popularity and were greeted with strong reviews.

During this time period Oshii also got into live action filmmaking at long last. 1987 saw release of ultra low budget part 1 of Kerberos Saga "Red Spectacles" with second part Stray Dog: Kerberos Panzer Cops following in 1991. In 1992 he'd also direct highly metafictional and autobiographical Talking Head about his life in film and anime. He also directed OVA Gosenzosama Banbanzai! in 1989 which was notable for its striking combination of features derived from art theatre and Satoru Utsunomiya's puppetesque character animation. Oshii would eventually name Banbanzai favourite work of his for watching but overall it has lingered in obscurity outside Japan where its character animation style had immediate impact.

After several live action projects and finishing Patlabor 2 in Oshii would continue with science fiction anime as was his forte. The next project was adaptation of Masamune Shirow's manga Ghost in the Shell: the film would turn into his biggest success yet earning high critical praise east and west and helped great deal in anime's breakthrough in west. It would also go on inspiring praise from everyone from James Cameron to Wachowskis who'd draw on the film heavily for their 90s SF megasuccess The Matrix.

Ghost in the Shell was followed by screenwriting Hiroyuki Okiura's Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade that also acted as third part in Kerberos saga as well as directing live action films Avalon and Killers - .50 Woman in early 00s. Avalon met moderate success in international festival circuit.

2004 finally saw release of much anticipated sequel to Ghost in the Shell. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence would go on to meet more mixed reception than the original - its stunning, lavish production got nothing but praise but critics both home and abroad were less unanimous on story and narrative which were frequently accused of being cluttered, aimless and pretentious beyond tolerable limits. Despite detractors and common criticisms Innocence's overall reception was nevertheless on the positive side too and it went as far as pocketing SF Taisho Award for Oshii.

After Innocence Oshii has been involved in variety of theatrical, live action film and anime projects meeting rather different critical responses. His major film during this era is without doubt adaptation of popular book series for The Sky Crawlers, an odd, slow moving look at children forced to forever wake war. It received strong reviews in film festivals around the world.

Currently Oshii is working on new live action Patlabor project.

Oshii's directing style is rich in detail and complexity. He is nothing if not master of mood and atmosphere - aim towards which his slow moving deliberate pacing, acute sound designs, Kenji Kawai's music and masterful, highly artificial in construction framings contribute. While heavy on talk typical Oshii movies also feature at least one sublime sequence that let beautiful flow of images and Kawai's masterful music do all the storytelling and atmosphere building needed: perhaps no examples are more brilliant than the snowfall in Patlabor 2. While hypnotic mood building and cerebral conversations define large part of Oshii's filmography his mastery over action is hard to overstretch as when he wants to do them Oshii's action scenes are beyond terrific. This is crucial for typical pacing of his film with languid, atmospheric sections punctuated by sudden outbursts of action. Unsurprisingly then his films tend to be heavy on weapon and general mechanics fetishism as one of its trademarks. His most common visual motifs are water, flocks of birds and mirrors sometimes there for mood setting, sometimes for more explicit thematic purpose - and of course no list of Oshii trademarks is full without mention of his beloved basset hounds who never fail to make appereance. Oshii's narrative style is also ingenious subversion of typical anime fashion where character determines story which in turn determines theme. Oshii starts from theme that determines story which in turn determines characters.

Oshii's films, rich and complex in content and aesthetic, at their best rank among the best medium has ever offered and his failures will at the very least miss sins of crass commercialism. Few men in industry rank as high as major creative artists with unique point of view on the world.

Representative work: Patlabor franchise, Ghost in the Shell

Accolades

Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer (1984)

CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 14th Position – Beautiful Dreamer
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1984 Best Director – Mamoru Oshii

Mobile Police Patlabor the Movie (1989)

Japan Anime Grand Prix 1989 – Patlabor the Movie
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 18th Position – Patlabor the Movie

Mobile Police Patlabor 2 the Movie (1993)

Mainichi Film Concours 1993 Best Animation Film Award – Patlabor the Movie 2

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Animation Kobe 1996 Best Film – Ghost in the Shell
Nikkan Sports Movie Awards 1995 Best Film – Ghost in the Shell
World Animation Celebration 1997 Best Feature Film Award – Ghost in the Shell
World Animation Celebration 1997 Best Director – Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell)
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 4th Position – Ghost in the Shell

Avalon (2001)

London Sci-Fi Film Festival 2002 Best Film Award – Avalon

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004)

Nihon SF Taisho Award 2004 – Innocence
Animation Kobe 2004 Best Film – Innocence
Sitges Film Festival 2004 Orient Express Award – Innocence
Japan Media Arts Festival 2004 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – Innocence
Tokyo International Anime Fair 2005 Best Screenplay – Mamoru Oshii (Innocence)

The Sky Crawlers (2008)

Mainichi Film Concours 2008 Best Animation Film Award – The Sky Crawlers
2008 Future Film Festival Digital Award – The Sky Crawlers
Sitges Film Festival 2008 Jose Luis Guarner Critic Award – The Sky Crawlers
Sitges Film Festival 2008 Best Original Soundtrack – Kenji Kawai (The Sky Crawlers)
Sitges Film Festival 2008 Carnet Jove Jury Award for best motion picture for youth audience – The Sky Crawlers
Japan Media Arts Festival 2008 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works – The Sky Crawlers

Total: 22
Last edited by Xard on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 pm

Katsuhiro Otomo (1954-)

When you're mangaka as deified as Katsuhiro Otomo you could pretty much do anything with film and never measure up to your work in print medium. While this is true of Otomo his film works definetly deserve attention. It certainly makes sense for mangaka as inspired by cinema as Otomo to finally make a stab in medium, animated and live action both.

Otomo first worked in short film format by adapting his manga story for Construction Cancellation Order in Neo-Tokyo anthology film in 1987. After Neo-Tokyo Otomo directed opening and ending segments for Robot Carnival, a bloated monstrous anthology film extragavanza distilling well both strenghts and fault into one overambitious bomb feature.

In 1988 his greatest moment would come with stunning anime adaptation of his most beloved manga: Akira wasn't that big hit in Japan but it ended up as catalyst for second wave of anime fandom and bringing Japanese animation en masse to west. It featured absolutely stunning hand drawn animation and art that surpassed everything that came before, a natural culmination of 80s anime feature megalomania that sought to combine Miyazakiesque fluidity of animation with staggering detail and complexity of art and design found from Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Akira arguably did that job better than most and in combination with high octane action story and entertaining, dark SF story full of espers and secret government projects it's no wonder Akira became the phenomenom it was.

After Akira Otomo directed his first live action film World Apartment Horror which was released in 1991 and worked as screenwriter on number of projects like Roujin Z. In 1995 he directed the the Cannon Fodder segment for Memories anthology film he was main planner for. It was probably the most formally ambitious short in Memories, done entirely in "single take".

2004 saw release of Steamboy, Otomo's long anticipated second anime feature. While the beyond excellent animation quality and technical detail was worth accolades and notice the formulaic storyline and style disappointed many fans and film failed to reach the iconic level of recognition Akira enjoys.

Steamboy in turn was followed by 2006's live action adaptation of Mushishi manga. 2013 saw release of his next anthology film project Short PEACE - segment "Combustible" he directed went in particular to earn great praise.

Representative work: Akira

Accolades

Akira (1988)

Kinema Jumpo 2010 All Time Ten Best Anime Films 5th Position – Akira
CUT Magazine 30 Best Anime Films of All Time 6th Position – Akira
Japan Anime Grand Prix 1983 Best Music – Geinoh Yamashirogumi (Akira)

Memories (1995)

Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 1995 - Memories

Steamboy (2004)

Japan Media Arts Festival 2004 Animation Category Jury Recommended Works: Steamboy

Short Peace (2013)

Mainichi Film Concours Ofuji Noburo Award 2013 – Combustible (Short Peace)

Total: 6

Return to “Anime and Manga”