Inverted Pyramid

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Singularity84
Embryo

Inverted Pyramid

•      
  •      

Postby Singularity84 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 pm

I was re-watching the original series of NGE, when something caught my eye in episode 22.
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s973.photobucket.com/user/CRLproductions/media/Screenshot2013-09-29at104539PM.png.html]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s973.photobucket.com/user/CRLproductions/media/pole.png.html]Image[/URL]

I didn't pay these any mind the first time I watched the show, but after seeing the massive inverted pyramid, in Eva 3.33 it peaked my curiosity.
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://s973.photobucket.com/user/CRLproductions/media/invertpyrm.png.html]Image[/URL]

I started to wonder what the meaning of a religious pyramid was and came across a few things that interested me. The first thing I found was the pyramid used as a method for story structure, but I didn't feel that was relevant. However I then found a few theories that interested me, one was an idea that, "All religion is represented by an inverted pyramid." The other was found on Yahoo Answers! (which although I don't consider this a reliable source, I do find the answer given interesting;
"Essentially, the pyramid represents the axis mountain of the world. This mountain is said to have risen from the waters of creation and represents existence itself.... The Ancient Egyptians further demonstrated this idea by another symbol, an inverted pyramid balanced on top of an upright one, also known as the 'creation sign'; the upper symbol represents inspiration pouring down from the heavens (the chalice-shape as a sign for water is an obvious clue), whereas the base pyramid shows aspiration, a striving for the perfection for heaven. This symbol itself represents the same concept as the Star of David: 'as above, so below.'"

"In esoterica, pyramids are symbols of the comprehensive, secret, but lost, knowledge of the ancient Egyptians, a knowledge that cannot be confirmed."—following this definition, the inverted pyramid could mean both the abandonment of the arcane for convention, or the rebelling against convention in favour of the arcane. More generally, it could simply mean that one has devoted their life to esoteric knowledge.

The pyramid may be a subtle touch outside NERV in the original series, but I'm starting to wonder if it has any relevance in the Rebuilds. Considering this is the ideal place to discuss theories on the symbolism in Eva, I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on the inverted pyramid. Or perhaps if this information was helpful in the creation of your own theory.
Last edited by Singularity84 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm sure the inverted pyramid has some sort of religious significance, the spikes are set up in a pattern, and some of the users on here referred to it as "The Altar" in the NERV/Geofront thread. However, I'm completely lost on the idea myself.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:39 pm

It's a direct callback to Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. That inverted pyramid is a copy of the Tower of Babel, both in Tartessos and on Red Noah. It's worth watching Nadia for where he's going here, because you'll find plenty similar and not just the music.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:53 am

It looks like it's part of a certain imagery regarding heavens/a place where a divinity dwells...

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 am

Somebody has surely pointed this out already, but nevertheless...
I think Anno got inspired by Indian Stepwells:

[url]http://subterraneandesign.blogspot.it/2009/11/step-well.html[/url]
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:47 am

Yep, I think that it had been noted the similarity in the "Geofront/Moon Stuff" topic or the "Things you noticed" one, still good to show this discovery here though.

Now I suppose we'll have to wait for the 3.0 CRC to have some info about the inspiration for that inverted pyramid... and pretty much everything else!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:57 am

Somehow that hadn't come off to me as a stepwell, because the ones I've seen are not always inverted pyramids. There's quite a bit of variation in shape. (Impressive find, though.)

The Nadia reference came to mind when I was watching the Nautilus Story part of Nadia, the part when she's telling Jean where she really comes from. Compare the structure they're standing on and the Tower of Babel on Red Noah with the structure as seen from the side (or those lampposts).
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:47 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Somehow that hadn't come off to me as a stepwell, because the ones I've seen are not always inverted pyramids. There's quite a bit of variation in shape. (Impressive find, though.)

Well NERV's "well" looks more like a construction site or a mine than those stepwells. (Could not find a good picture, but this may be close: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon_Mine.)

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 am

Wasn't there a prison in Azerbaijan or something that was like this?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”