Blue Balls is the Sexiest Movie

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Blue Balls is the Sexiest Movie

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:50 pm

So, Blue is the Warmest Color just picked up the Palm d'Or at Cannes and will be screening in the states late October.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT.

3 hour romantic eroto-drama that might actually give some much needed credence to the NC-17 rating after Showgirls, masterpiece that it is, dashed it into the ground.

[url]http://variety.com/2013/film/news/domestic-trailer-for-blue-is-the-warmest-color-1200648811/[/url]

Though I'll probably be nursing a semi throughout most of the movies more, uh, erotic scenes.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:56 pm

So uh, what does this movie have going for itself exactly?

Literally the only things I've seen talked about in regards to it are the fact it has a 12 minute sex scene, a debate about if said sex scene was simulated or not, complaints about real lesbians not being on set to "technically advise" for the sex scene, and if it is moral for the film to have a character be 15 years old or something and engage in the damn sex scene.

Like wow, surely there's something else to talk about here?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 am

^ Trailer looked like some decent bildungsroman story wrapped in (lesbian) romantic narrative. Certainly not Kubrick/Godard/etc tier but it seems pretty ok and deals with subject not frequently portrayed.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 am

Romances aren't frequently portrayed? Coming of age stories aren't frequently portrayed?

Even if you restrict it to "homosexual romances" and "homosexual coming of age stories", there have still been entire movements of cinema based around that, so...I'm not seeing what isn't frequently portrayed here.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:42 am

And that is my lesson to not talk about things i don't know about.

I just assumed things homosexual romances and such weren't frequently portrayed, apologies.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:03 am

Well I'll give you that they're not as frequently portrayed in big budget Hollywood movies, but there are still movements like New Queer Cinema, that were mostly made of indie stuff.

Some of it was pretty crazy too, from what I understand. The Living End for example was basically Thelma & Louise with two gay dudes, and ended with
SPOILER: Show
one protagonist raping the other, and attempting to shoot himself in the head at the same time as he orgasms (There are a variety of reasons that drove him to this).

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:55 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:So uh, what does this movie have going for itself exactly?

It's three hours long, shot entirely handheld in overly tight close ups, has gorgeous women on screen all the time & is in French. What doesn't it have going for it?

I'll see it. I may love it. But I may also find it overrated like I did "Rust & Bone" last year. The other "original romance story of a lifetime" shot almost entirely in overly tight close ups with some hot people speaking in French.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's three hours long, shot entirely handheld in overly tight close ups, has gorgeous women on screen all the time & is in French. What doesn't it have going for it?

None of those sound like inherently positive qualities to me. Nor inherently negative I guess.

The actresses being so pretty (As well as the sex scene between them being practically the only point of discussion about this film) does make me question how legitimate the portrayal of a lesbian romance is going to be, and if this film is just meant to be masturbation fodder for heterosexual men or not.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:54 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:The actresses being so pretty (As well as the sex scene between them being practically the only point of discussion about this film) does make me question how legitimate the portrayal of a lesbian romance is going to be, and if this film is just meant to be masturbation fodder for heterosexual men or not.

Yeah because if they're pretty, that automatically means it can't be artistic.

Spielberg apparently loved it....and he's the least sexually charged filmmaker I can think of. We'll just have to wait and see I guess....
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:35 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Yeah because if they're pretty, that automatically means it can't be artistic.

Got any other imaginary claims that I didn't make?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:54 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:The actresses being so pretty (As well as the sex scene between them being practically the only point of discussion about this film) does make me question how legitimate the portrayal of a lesbian romance is going to be, and if this film is just meant to be masturbation fodder for heterosexual men or not.

It was at the very least implied.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 pm

No, it wasn't. Stop making things up.

EDIT: These last two posts are more dickish than I meant them to be, so for that I'll apologize.

Honestly though, I don't see how you get "This film isn't artistic because it has an attractive cast" from what I wrote. What you bolded certainly doesn't support that- it supports the suggestion that this film MAY be exploiting a lesbian love story with attractive characters to appeal to straight men.

Return to “Film and Video”