Has Anyone Ever Used Evangelion In School?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Shinseki
Embryo

Has Anyone Ever Used Evangelion In School?

•      
  •      

Postby Shinseki » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:35 pm

Hey I'm pretty new here, but I figured I would introduce a hopefully new topic: Has Anyone Ever Used Evangelion In School?

I did for 2 of my english projects. One theme was about relationships and the other was about existentialism, so I pulled Eva into it, hoping that it would be fun for me (which it was) and interesting for my class.

My class was a majority of white christians, so I hoped I would stir up interest, but instead I got a some negative feedback. Most of them looked at me like I was crazy or nerdy, and I didn't get my point across the first time. The second time no one said anything at all, which made me more confused. I wished that people were more open minded.

So, have any of you tried to use Eva in your school projects and if you did, how did it go?
Image Image Image

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:37 pm

I've never used it directly.
Eva really did effect my thinking and my views on certain religious subjects.
So I threw in some Eva inspired theory here and there. Especially in religion/philosophy class.

Edit: Come to think of it, my instructors were quite aggrevated with me when I'd 'contradict their teachings'. I wasnt well liked by the theology department.
Last edited by Asuka Langley on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:38 pm

I used a random Eva picture in a power point presentation. I skipped by it quickly and got a bunch of strange looks. Then people asked me about it afterwards and I acted like I had no idea what they were talking about.

I do that sort of thing a lot. I do believe it was the picture of Asuka's Eva when it's all gutted and devoured.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Shinseki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinseki » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:40 pm

Well, that's probably the most common way to use Eva. I agree that Eva changed most of my thoughts and values. I used actual DVD clips and even though the religious stuff had no point to the subject, I let the clip run over the touchy parts just to rattle a few cages.
Image Image Image

houtaru
Lilith

Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Evangelion In School?

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:23 pm

I admire you Shinseki for putting yourself on the line and introducing eva to an english class. I think its an excellent idea for a psychology class as well. I had to do a report in my college psych class, but I thought eva would have been to heavy for the class to understand. (I used Memento instead). Its also an anime, which doesn't get a whole lot of respect at my University, except maybe the anime club members.

I agree that people should be more open minded! Espeically in school.

Grip_Tight_Thin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grip_Tight_Thin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:42 pm

I have used the symbolism in World Religions class.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:11 am

i used evangelion in a project of religion education class(symbolism)and my teacher and all the students looked at me like i was a u.f.o.i thought that here in greece where we are almost all christians,they would find it interesting but no.

Shinseki
Embryo

Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Evangelion In School?

•      
  •      

Postby Shinseki » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:02 am

houtaru wrote:I admire you Shinseki for putting yourself on the line and introducing eva to an english class. I think its an excellent idea for a psychology class as well. I had to do a report in my college psych class, but I thought eva would have been to heavy for the class to understand. (I used Memento instead). Its also an anime, which doesn't get a whole lot of respect at my University, except maybe the anime club members.

I agree that people should be more open minded! Espeically in school.

Thanks. I knew and I bet you knew too that talking about Eva was going to step on some people's toes. But, I hoped that college would be a much more open minded place than high school. Do you think it still is? Or has little changed when it comes to people accepting new and strange ideas?
Image Image Image

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:33 am

One of my friends who is more into anime than me, made a canvas oil painitng of Eva-02 with the NERV Signia behind it. Then some other kids in my art class asked him what the hell it was. He turned to me and told me to explain it to them becasue he was "busy". XD
I had to explain Evangelion to a jock, a red neck, a stuck up slut, a anal punk/goth girl and girl who was obsessed with horseback riding! XD I think I summarized it like this.
"That painting is giant human-like killing machine and it's in a series that's about 16 hours long including two movies and explores the existance and survival of humans anc crap."
And I left it at that, I wouldn't explain anymore even though they were still puzzled (but I like to say dumbfounded). I told them to rent them or buy them on the internet if they wanted to know more. (Like they would, they'd rather go play Lacrosse or buy more John Deere hats) XD

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:59 am

I used Eva only in my projects for Art, as about 75% of the kids at my high school are Christian, I really didn't feel like getting looks and such. I did a pen and ink drawing of Rei in EoE as she's spreading her wings and coming out of the Earth. It's pretty bad-ass, if I do say so myself. I also did another one, a chalk/charcoal of the cover of EoE, except I left out Shinji and Asuka, and just did Rei's head. Another awesome drawing. I think I got A's on both of them. Also, my Art teacher was an Eva fan... she was one of my favorite teachers. :P
Close your eyes and listen hard

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:15 am

I belive I said this one somewhere else: I sang Cruel Angels Thesis in a duet with a tenor for the talent show (I'm a bass). The student body laughed at me and him though, because apantly they don't like J-Pop and stuff. Another time at a school dance I "replaced" on of the DJ's (Who was my brother in law) CD with the EVA OST1 CD. That one got him a few strange looks. And finally In English Class we watched the League of Extrondinary Gentalmen and we had to take two litterary characters that we had read about that year (We chose Achilles and some other guy I can't remember) and two other people from books we had read. My teacher made the mistake to say manga was fair game so we had Unit-01 and The Cat in the Hat join forces to fight evil. It was a riot. We filmed the whole thing and just edited in shots of Unit-01 stomping things for it and we got an A! But I still failed the damn class...
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Shinseki
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shinseki » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:48 am

Wow that's taking it to a pretty abstract level. Would Dr. Seuss like Eva? I think so.

Eva Art in school probably isn't as serious as a problem as just explaining most of the elements to people. I mean, art is art. They can critique it, but they probably can't dispute its existence.
Image Image Image

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:00 pm

Actually, I beg to differ.

As far as art goes, there are certain instructors that will tolerate anime, and certain instructors that loathe it and call it 'an easy substitute for the human figure'. (As said by my art instructor -_-)
Anime is heavily looked down upon in the 'traditional arts' side of learning, or so I've noticed.
Also, most art courses promote originality. Existing anime art would be Fanart, and therefore, not your own work. (There are some exceptions to this, tho.)

So, personally, trying to work Eva into an art project was a little more difficult, and had to be taken to a different level.
You have to work in the mood and symbolism, rather than the stylistic aspects.

But that's just my two cents on the subject.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:43 pm

never tried...but how would you bring it up in an essay?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:48 pm

For 12th grade British Literature, I had to write an epic in the tradition of Beowulf. I didn't feel like being creative, so I took some creative license and used Eva as a reference.

http://www.evamonkey.com/omake_epic.php

I attended Randolph Macon College for my freshman year, and I was awarded a scholarship. To determine how much I got, they made us answer one of several questions. The first was "There's a box on a table, what would you fill it with?" or something like that. Another was "Who would you like to meet in your lifetime?". I said I wanted to meet Hideaki Anno, and explained why. I didn't get very much, but I answered the question truthfully.

I think its cool to see how much creative writing and essays are written about Eva. I've got quite a few in the written statements section already. If anybody would like to add their essays, please let me know.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:01 pm

Unfortunatly Shinseki your going to run into the same problems in college, while there are some open minded students/professors, most of them are just going to look at you strangely. Best way around this is if you are going to use EVA as a topic for a project find out what the prof thinks first, if they respect the idea go for it. You can easily ignore the other students in class as profs tend to care more about what you are doing as opposed to class reaction, and as an added bonus some profs will reward you for going outside the norm.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:39 pm

i might have, i dont remember
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:31 pm

In my highschool computer class, I was going to do a powerpoint presentation on the symbolism in Eva....but EM discouraged me from doing it in fear that I would screw everything up...actually, I remember him laughing at me when I told him my idea... :evil:

So...I did it on Dana Carvey instead....@_@

Probably better since there were like 5 ppl total in my school that liked anime...

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:06 pm

My opinion is you shouldn't use Eva as a topic in school for presentations, essays and reports if they person(s) are very unfamilar or have no idea what your talking about. Now if you know the group or person has had experience with Eva or is interested in anime and has heard of Eva, then it would be appropiate. I don't about you guys but I would NEVER use Eva in a academic/school presentation or paper, fearing of being failed and the estranged looks from my peers and others.

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:42 pm

This is very true... :P

In my case, the reason for that powerpoint presentation was just to see how much you knew about the program itself...I mean, someone got an A for a presentation on the word, "blah". O_O;;; I wanted to do the Eva research for my own knowledge, then make a purdy slideshow out of it. >P

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”