[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:55 am

I don't really have a top 5 for 2013 (or even a ranking), but here's ten of the better ones that were in my playlist (alphabetical order, of course):

Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
Black Sabbath - 13
David Bowie - The Next Day
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us is the Killer
How to Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
Johnny Marr - The Messenger
Megadeth - Super Collider
My Bloody Valentine - m b v
nine inch nails - Hesitation Marks
Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:and I'm starting to get into The Smiths as well.

This. Oh dear God, this. Absolutely love me some Smiths. Strangely, I find myself torn between Hatful of Hollow and Strangeways, Here We Come as my favorite album of theirs (as opposed to the majority of opinions I've seen, which is The Queen is Dead).
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:01 am

^Hatful of Hollows and The World Won't Listen are probably my favourites at the moment. I actually did a cover of Asleep not too long ago, which was pretty well received. The weird thing was that the techie saw Morrissey's name on my sheet music and said "Oh God, this is going to be depressing, isn't it?"
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:07 am

The Queen Is Dead is the best Smiths album. Hatful of Hollows and Strangeways are great too.

Meat is blergh. All good songs from that are salvaged on various collections.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:27 am

^ Have y'all heard the Troy Tate sessions? It's raw and not produced very well but it sounds, for lack of a better term, freakin' sweet.

Agree with the point on Meat is Murder; several incredibly amazing tracks (Well I Wonder, Headmaster Ritual, Barbarism...), but as an album not as cohesive or as likely to stand the test of time as TQID or Hatful of Hollow; still not a bad record by any means.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Hhhmm. I don't listen to a lot of new music. Mostly because they play the same shit down here so I have to search for what I'm interested in. And I like a lot of older stuff too. But I do have a few that I bought this year.

NIN - Hesitation Mark
I couldn't WAIT for this to come out. They're one of my favorite bands so this was a must have.

Atoms for Peace - Amok
Another one I was excited about. Sucks that I missed their concert.

Janelle Monae - Electric Lady
The flow of this album was amazing.

Palms - Palms
Someone in here actually mentioned this album and I absolutely love it. I play Future Warrior at least once a week.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
I love these guys.....no explanation needed
:wink:

Kelly Rowland - Talk a Good Game
I almost forgot about this one but I really enjoyed this album. I was surprised how good it was. She's got such a beautiful voice and is extremely underrated.

It's really sad. After doing this I just realized 90% of the stuff I acquired this year is at least a year or two older. :lol:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:33 am

Hmm, Top 5, let's see:

1. Kreator - Dying Alive
2. Alligatoah - Triebwerke (Not his best, but I really grant him the success since he produce unbelievable good music since 2004)
3. Samy Deluxe - Perlen vor die Säue
4. Annihilator - Feast
5. Heaven Shall Burn - Veto

I didn't listen to too much new stuff this year, but I can really recommend these 5 albums.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:17 am

I think this seems to be the best place to put this...

Greatest live drum intro ever? Probably. It certainly pumps me up.

Seriously, look up the full In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up video after that. I can't for the life of me, though, understand why Jourgensen never re-released this on DVD.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:
Uh, why are The Cure so good? This album, along with forerunning Disintegration, are damn near flawless records - Equal in brilliance and perfection.

Y'know, truth be told, I used to not be that keen on Wish. I think it was mostly its hit singles, they're just too poppy and...bright, I suppose I'd say. Repeat listens definitely changed that thought. "Open", "Apart", "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea", "A Letter to Elise", "Cut", "To Wish Impossible Things", "End"...they're all tremendously good songs. By far the high point of The Cure during the '90s.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I actually did a cover of Asleep not too long ago, which was pretty well received.

We've done that one a few times, but our preferred choice of 'downer' Smiths cover song is "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me". I've almost not gotten through it some nights.

The weird thing was that the techie saw Morrissey's name on my sheet music and said "Oh God, this is going to be depressing, isn't it?"

:lol:

View Original PostXard wrote:Meat is blergh. All good songs from that are salvaged on various collections.

I respect your opinion, but personally disagree. The only real glaring weak spot (to me) is the title track, and that's only in its heavy-handed lyrical message. Musically, I like the mellow mood it puts me in.

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:^ Have y'all heard the Troy Tate sessions? It's raw and not produced very well but it sounds, for lack of a better term, freakin' sweet.

Basically, it's the self-titled album's original mixes. And yes, it is indeed just as good as the official release. Not as polished, but more lively.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:53 pm

^^I'm working my way through Moz's autobiography and apparently he hated the way their first record sounded.

I've tried to pick my favorite Smiths album for like, 8 years, but I can't because each has a song on it that I really, really dig:

Self-titled Debut -- "Still Ill"
Louder Than Bombs -- "Stretch Out and Wait"
Meat is Murder -- "Well I Wonder"
Queen is Dead -- "Cemetry Gates"
Strangeways -- "I Won't Share You" (Is there any song that better wraps up the existence of a band?)

And then each album has a song that I don't really care for, so they're all dead even to me.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:40 am

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:I didn't listen to too much new stuff this year, but I can really recommend these 5 albums.

Gorguts? Carcass? Nice picks though

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:^^I'm working my way through Moz's autobiography and apparently he hated the way their first record sounded.

I've tried to pick my favorite Smiths album for like, 8 years, but I can't because each has a song on it that I really, really dig:

Self-titled Debut -- "Still Ill"
Strangeways -- "I Won't Share You" (Is there any song that better wraps up the existence of a band?)

And then each album has a song that I don't really care for, so they're all dead even to me.

What about Hatful of Hollow ^_^ ? Or Rank? Draize Train is so amazing i can't even

Interesting pick for Strangeways; i would've picked Death at One's Elbow, or Unhappy Birthday

but then i'd have to pick
:bigeyes:

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:45 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Self-titled Debut -- "Still Ill"
Strangeways -- "I Won't Share You" (Is there any song that better wraps up the existence of a band?

Ah, good choices. I think I'll add to this myself:

The Smiths: a toss-up between "Pretty Girls Make Graves", "What Difference Does It Make?" and "Suffer Little Children"
Hatful of Hollow: either "Handsome Devil" or "Back to the Old House"
Meat is Murder: "Barbarism Begins at Home", no question for me
The Queen is Dead: either "I Know It's Over" or "There is a Light That Never Goes Out"
Strangeways, Here We Come: a toss-up between "A Rush and a Push and the Land is Ours", "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" and "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me"
Louder Than Bombs: either "Is It Really So Strange?" or "Asleep"

...but that's just my two cents.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:23 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Y'know, truth be told, I used to not be that keen on Wish. I think it was mostly its hit singles, they're just too poppy and...bright, I suppose I'd say. Repeat listens definitely changed that thought. "Open", "Apart", "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea", "A Letter to Elise", "Cut", "To Wish Impossible Things", "End"...they're all tremendously good songs. By far the high point of The Cure during the '90s.

IMO Wish's only flaw is that it was the follow-up to Disintegration.
No wonder it's going to be overshadowed some.

Been smashing the below items for the past couple of weeks:

SPOILER: Show

Really hanging on some release info for the new Nothing album. I need it so badly in my life it hurts, yo - I've practically burnt out on the 'Dig' single.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:00 pm

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Antediluvian- λόγος

fuck yeah, this was so great. definitely in my top 5 or 10 or whatever.

other 2013 albums I liked:

Subrosa - More Constant than the Gods
Jute Gyte - Noctis Labyrinthus
Wölvefröst - Barbarian Hellstorm
Mammifer & Circle - Enharmonic Intervals (for Paschen Organ)
Black Sun Roof - 4 Black Suns & a Sinister Rainbow (too weird for anyone to Youtube it I guess? regardless, Matthew Bower continues to be the best creepy old noise man out there)
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 am

A list of my favourite albums of 2013 can be found on my Last.fm page. Compiling a massive year-end list is an annual ritual of mine. People rarely believe me when I say that it's great fun :lol:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:36 am

Nice list dude. Like the Hope Drone mention. They're actually from here in Queensland - A pretty solid release that kind of fell off of my radar though unfortunately. I dug the new Oathbreaker as well but at times I do prefer Mælstrøm in comparison, which has some far harder and infectious riffs, albeit a little more formulaic/conventional.

And the sophomore Iceage is just crazy, crazy good. Each song stands out in its own way. Recently been thinking that if I were to start a punk band, I'd want it to sound like Iceage but with more of an "oomph" and heaviness, but still possessing that same dynamic and catchy song writing - Almost a pop sensibility there, I reckon. I mean, heh, come on! How awesome songs are 'Everything Drifts', 'In Haze' and 'Wounded Hearts'? And that bass riff in 'Awake'!

Brilliant stuff.

In addition, just caught onto Night Sins last night:
http://avantrecords.bandcamp.com/album/night-sins-to-london-or-the-lake-lp

Cool atmospheric synths and darkwave pop-type music. Going to order the two 12"s from Deathwish as soon as the Death of Lovers pre-order goes up. Also have the Prurient Hydra Head records inbound.
Warren Peace, #643919

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:36 am

A long awaited shipment of vintage LP's finally showed up in the mail:

This original release in 1973 includes a couple of Freddie Hubbard songs from the late 60's. The sleeve's even got some sheet music in it, real awesome.

Willie Nelson's original Stardust album. It's got Booker T Jones on piano/organ. And this great photo of Willie on the back:

And another really awesome double LP, the Chicago Transit Authority:
It's from 1969 and it's so mint it looks like it's brand new. Though the sleeve looks like it's seen better days.

Then there's the 1978 double LP of Eric Dolphy's Fire Waltz. And wow. Though the recordings were actually from the 60's.

Mal Waldron,and Booker Irvin on tenor, is a really good recording

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:36 am

YES, FINALLY - Release information and pre-orders for Nothing's debut full-length, Guilty of Everything, are up:
http://www.relapse.com/nothing/

Relapse Records wrote:Philadelphia’s Nothing have been destroying the eardrums of audiences throughout North America for the past 2 years with a magnetic blend of captivatingly dark and beautiful vocals and explosive, blown out, in the red guitar fuzz. On their debut full length Guilty Of Everything, recorded and produced by Jeff Zeigler (Kurt Vile, War On Drugs, et cetera), Nothing seamlessly merge the huge distorted guitar sound of 90s/00s alternative rock giants My Bloody Valentine and Smashing Pumpkins with Jesu’s introspective post-metal/hardcore. This is a triumph of a debut that successfully manages to be massively loud, darkly introspective and totally beautiful all at once.

Check it out via the link; stream the trailer, listen to the 'Dig' single.
Probably going to be my #1 release of 2014.

:nyao:

Snagged myself the limited pressing of 500.
Warren Peace, #643919

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:22 am

For the last few days, I've had this album on repeat:

It's so gloriously strange and...awesome. Recommended to anyone who ever contemplated looking into the weirder side of rock.

(Also look into GodWeenSatan: The Oneness, too. It's just as bizarrely great.)

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Real Estate are coming out with a new record in March and they've released this track, Talking Backwards, which I've been listening to a lot today. I think it's just a good three minute pop song, albeit probably a little boring for some.

They're no way close to being one of my favorite bands(they're not loud and fast and/or electronic enough for my tastes), but they've had some pretty decent jams, i.e. "Beach Comber" and "Fake Blues" off their self titled record and "Out of Tune" and "Easy" off their second record, Days.

I much more prefer the solo work of their lead guitarist who goes by "Ducktails" because his music is a little more upbeat and surfy or something.

Nonetheless, the fact that they've got a new song is cool and I'm sure it'll get me back into their old stuff. I pretty much have nothing but good memories of sitting back and listening to their songs.[/i]
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:57 am

After much hype, Death of Lovers (Joint project of members of Whirl and Nothing, two of my favourite current bands) début EP, Buried Under a World of Roses, is finally out:

Instant download of the files for pre-orders and this is an awesome little record - Early era Killing Joke cross with late 80s Cure; minimalist, synthy post-punk. Refreshing listen (at only four songs) whilst maintaining an almost suffocating and dense atmosphere, the EP manages to be both haunting and moving at times.

The last track sounds like it could be ripped straight out of Disintegration with that rumbling bass and swirling, echoing guitars.

Listen to the title track here:
http://deathoflovers.bandcamp.com/
Warren Peace, #643919

Sleigh Lain Fish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sleigh Lain Fish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Ya'll need some experimental sound in your lives..

Cosmic Kidnappers by Duck Duck Goose
http://youtu.be/umqrgbET4jw

Or some surfer noise..

Hippies Is Punks by Wavves
http://youtu.be/2FpmmOov1EA

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”