Role Playing Games, am I right guys?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MassiveInvader
Adam

Role Playing Games, am I right guys?

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 pm

You know what to do. What is you most and least favorite RPGs and why? Do you prefer action based(Dissdidia, Mass Effect, etc) or turn based(Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc)? Why or why not? Do you prefer turn based RPG where you can move around (Fire emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc) or where you cannot move around (Persona, etc)? Why or why not? My favorite is Fable 2 and Phantasy Star because they arre the most fun to me. I prefer action based RPGs because you can do a lot more stuff and its more fun then just standing and taking turns hitting each other. I prefer RPGs like Fire Emblem because there more free roaming. I just beat persona 1 on the psp, but I got the bad ending :irked:. I'm going to go through it again at least two more times ,but for now I'm working on Jeanne D'arc.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 pm

Final Fantasy XII was my favorite, probably cause it was like playing an offline MMO.

I absolutely hate Ass Effect (no "M" on purpose), it's just another shooter with stats only this time it fried my first Xbox.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Define RPG. Seriously, the term gets applied to so wide a field of games that I'm not sure it even means anything any more.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Related threads
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9797/OTHER-Roleplaying
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/1724/RPGs/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14046/Favorite-JRPGs/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

whiemeat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby whiemeat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Define RPG. Seriously, the term gets applied to so wide a field of games that I'm not sure it even means anything any more.

im thinking your on your own with that one I cant find a magazine or online review site that doesn't call games like call of duty and DOTA role playing games
gods in his heaven, all is right with the world

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I guess the .hack//G.U. trilogy was my favorite RPG that I played to date. I don't really have a least favorite---but what I do hate is American RPGs. I just can't call Mass Effect/Skyrim an RPG. It just doesn't work with me. So yeah, no least favorite title (I simply hate every American game that calls itself an rpg lol)

Kreis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kreis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Favorites and least favorites? Do you mean by genres, right?
If it is, then...
My favorite one is Action-RPG. Really, after some years playing RPGs, I'm starting to be tired of Turn-based RPGs. It's not like I hate them, though. But I prefer A-RPGs more, as it's pace fits me more. However, that only applies to RPGs on consoles. On portables (which are the same, except one is portable and other not...oh, master of obvious!) I really like Turn-Based RPGs, for some weird reason. I think it fits more.
My least favorite, so, is MMO. Yes, kill me. I'm not a fan of MMO. Because my internet is lag that it brokes the experience!

But if you mean favorites RPG games (franchises or "titles", perhaps?), then, I'll go with Kingdom Hearts and Pokemon. You can see the reason above, although, it's not that clear.
Pokemon was my very first RPG and I always loved all that idea behind pokemon. I cannot put on words why I like pokemon, but I guess you guys can figure it out why...
Kingdom Hearts is simply beautiful. The storyline is enchanting enough for me and all the characters backgrounds. The gameplay, too, enchant me. It's OST too...mostly everything on it.

Oh my God! Look at this post... Seems huge. Well, that is!

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 am

Going with my own personal definition of RPG's...
Fallout 3 is my absolute favorite.
It has everything I like - Great leveling system, great mechanics, a varying arsenal of weapons and armor, and it's got a bit of FPS wrapped up in it as well. I pretty much bought an xbox for this reason after seeing it being played by one of my buddies... it's just a solid game.

Also, if nothing else, after you're about 150 hours in, and your game saves are huge, you get some pretty AMAZING glitches... ranging from killing an enemy and having it's corpse float 5 feet above the ground inside-out, to killing an enemy and having it's body turn into polygons and dance around in the sky like a maniac.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 am

View Original PostMelchior wrote:Great leveling system

:lol:

You are a funny guy.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote::lol:

You are a funny guy.

I probably should have elaborated -
I meant with the perk enhancements at time of level.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 am

View Original PostMelchior wrote:I meant with the perk enhancements at time of level.

There were still a bunch of useless perks... But there were useless perks in every Fallout game so it´s no big deal.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 am

For me, these days it's Eclipse Phase, Blue Planet, D&D 4e, and Mutants and Masterminds 3e.

Computer games aren't RPGs as far as I'm concerned, unless they involve both building characters and interacting with other human beings. That leaves MMORPGs, of which World of Warcraft remains a fave.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:D&D 4e

I also play 4e!
Dabbled in 3.5, but, I like the visual representation of 4e. What kind of roll do you play?

Currently, I'm a level 8 Half-Elf Ranger, Archer subclass. I play with a small group, which really hinges on our tank showing up or not. Luckily we haven't died yet, but, we won't always be that lucky... probably going to multicharacter a tank :3

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 am

Souls-series is my favorite.....

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:41 am

I'm into pen-and-paper RPGs myself. I even used to be a GM back in the day.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:29 pm

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:I even used to be a GM back in the day.
I was pretty much mostly a GM back in the day -- the day being from when the first nth generation photocopies of the original D&D rules and supplements started circulating back in '76, until catastrophic burn-out 20 years later while I still had a stack of systems that I wanted to give a whirl. It would be nice to think that maybe one of these years I might run some HeroQuest or Feng Shui, just to see how they work out in practice.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:34 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I was pretty much mostly a GM back in the day -- the day being from when the first nth generation photocopies of the original D&D rules and supplements started circulating back in '76, until catastrophic burn-out 20 years later while I still had a stack of systems that I wanted to give a whirl. It would be nice to think that maybe one of these years I might run some HeroQuest or Feng Shui, just to see how they work out in practice.

I'm told Feng Shui is quite marvelous, provided you're willing to buy into its basic system conceits.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”