What did you particularly like/love about Evangelion 3.0?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

What did you particularly like/love about Evangelion 3.0?

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I felt the curiousity to make a topic about this, due to how we've already had discussions about either sharing dislikes or reactions to Q.

However, if this topic isn't necessary then pardon me. I'm still rather new here. :)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:34 pm

The atmosphere. Anno is a master of framing and cinematography and I couldn't help being captivated by it. It had that bleak tone and direction like I was watching Eva for the first time again, including all the anime post-traumatic stress DISORDAH that followed with it. The whole world after the Impact was so dreadful, hopeless and soul crushing grim that I felt genuinely touched which surprised me because I'd like to kid myself that I've gotten over the series by now but it appears I still value it very much.

Frankly, there are elements I feel very conflicted about in Q but if I had to give it one compliment than that it prompted some old memories and revived my interest in Eva again.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:The atmosphere. Anno is a master of framing and cinematography and I couldn't help being captivated by it. It had that bleak tone and direction like I was watching Eva for the first time again, including all the anime post-traumatic stress DISORDAH that followed with it. The whole world after the Impact was so dreadful, hopeless and soul crushing grim that I felt genuinely touched which surprised me because I'd like to kid myself that I've gotten over the series by now but it appears I still value it very much.

Frankly, there are elements I feel very conflicted about in Q but if I had to give it one compliment than that it prompted some old memories and revived my interest in Eva again.

Pretty much this for me as well.

Everyone who's read my posts on Q knows I have major issues with parts of the script, but goddamn 3.0 felt so fresh after the NGE 2.0 fests that Jo and Ha felt like. It was so delightful to finally get a film so largely NEW and unexpected from the previous entries. The mood was right, the tone was right, the animation was awesome, the music was pretty good....

But the actual story could have been so much meatier.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:16 am

I agree with Fireball and Guy Nacks, pretty much the same.

Seen the original series long ago, left it alone, fell back right in love when 1.11 came out.
It's a love/hate relationship. I love it for the things I hate about it, I suppose. Felt pretty miserable after EOE, but still loved it!

Q sets that hopeless apocalyptic atmosphere. It felt a lot like EOE in a lot of ways, even though the story is going in a way different direction (or it's not, we'll see).

Just how frustrating it is to not know all the important things like what happened during the timeskip and Sinji's treatment. But then again I realise it, Anno has done it again. Not a single day goes by that I don't think about Evangelion. Theorizing and fanwanking. Agh! I want answers!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:09 am

The first half of 3.33 felt strange to me, but the second half was very much in-line with the Descent/Bitter End Arcs of NGE. While I loved both 1.0 and 2.0, for me 3.0 really did feel like experiencing Eva for the first time again. The voice acting, cinematography, a lot of things in NME, has been Eva done right.

I'm very curious to see where the different character arcs are going in Final and how all the mysteries/plot points will be resolved.

I really like how NME has the slow build up to the Eva-01/Yui/Rei revealation throughout the 4 movies (with things coming to a head in Final), it really feels more cinematic and grand in scale that way. Especially when compared to NGE's Eva-01 gradual reveal in Episodes 16/20.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 am

Somber mood, worse than ever end of the world feeling. I started sympathizing with Shinji after a bit because no one did really give him straight answers at first. I also enjoyed the Mari x Asuka interaction, what is missing is face to face since all of it was while piloting. I realized that it's the opposite of how Asuka and Shinji interacted in the same situations, with Mari instead being unafraid to give Asuka some backtalk. One of my favorite moments is when she's waiting to shoot Mark 9 and telling it to come on.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:02 pm

I loved how the film felt to watch. I know that description is pretty vague, but it's the best way that I can describe my feelings about the film. I didn't really understand the film in its entirety the first time that I watched it; I was trying to absorb it like some perverted form of osmosis. Watching the film with the music, the way it looked, and watching some of my favorite characters behave in ways that boggled the mind, I found it to be an overall amazing film to watch.

Also it had Evas beating the crap out of each other, so we're all good. ;)

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I loved pretty much everything in this film, expect the scene where the DSS choker momentarily disappears from Shinji's neck for some reason. :hahaha:

Every time i watch this, every time i read more speculations, i love the film even more.

This is the film (1.0 and 2.0 too) that i would proudly show to my family, friends and to my (grand) children. -o-;

McSquishin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby McSquishin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 am

Considering my initial reaction was "what the (actual) f***," the fact that I have anything good to say about Q is kinda surprising to me. What can I say, it's growing on me.

I think most of my feelings have already been expressed by others. Like Fireball said at the beginning of the thread, I like the atmosphere. Hell, that's a large part of the reason why I like NGE to begin with. Now that I've had time to come down from my inital shock I like the time skip too, as it's provided a great deal of material for me to, as Zoop put it, "theorize and fanwank" to. My frustration on the plot break (read: complete and utter lack of explanation for apparently HUGELY SIGNIFICANT events) between the 2.0 and 3.0 weighs heavily on me though.

There's a lot I don't like about this movie, but I'll reserve final judgment for after Final comes out.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 am

Quatre Mains :crush:

The music in the Rebuild films has been pretty decent up until Q, but this number was something else.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:29 am

Quatre Mains is not a song, its French for "Four Hands" (meaning, two people playing on one piano). So it's a type of song. And I there are more than 1 Quatre Mains song on the ost.

[ontopic]
Another thing I really like about 3.33, Is the music, it's a lot more epic and bombastic than 1.11 and 2.22. While the previous movies had music much like it's original NGE counterparts (albeit with some upgrades and a few new songs). 3.33 introduces some new sounds and has much more vocals. The OST really is a recommendation !

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:12 pm

View Original PostZoop wrote:Quatre Mains is not a song, its French for "Four Hands" (meaning, two people playing on one piano). So it's a type of song.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what?

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 pm

^ He's saying that "a quatre mains" is a direction that follows the name of a song, rather than the name of any given song per se. Unfortunately the name of the song in Q is "Quatre Mains (a quatre mains)" because Shiro Sagisu is an asshat.

On topic, I like the opening battles between Wunder and the Nemesis Series, which really nails a feeling like that felt around the middle of NGE's run, but with an actual budget for a change. In fact, it feels like the vibe Anno was aiming for with Ha and missed, and when the film derails into the story of ReShinji's last breakdown, it feels like a boring digression rather than the main plot.

I also like Beast 02's attack on 09, which would sound absolutely hilarious if I tried to describe it but is a pretty visceral fuck-yeah moment when actually watched and doesn't come off as nearly so stupid as Beast 02 did previously.

e: also Shinji's meltdown after he breaks up with Rei Q - while this kind of heavily depends on the scene in EoE to which it is a reference, it's still p. cool
Last edited by Azathoth on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 pm

The movie is far from perfect, it actually has quite more than few bad calls altogether, but it does execute the isolation theme in a very convincing way. I mean, anyone could predict that shit was gonna hit the fan concerning Shinji and his decision to blurt out a big fuck you to the world in favor of Rei, but it takes that to a whole new level; you can't help but truly feel for him even though the heat he's taking is (technically) justifiable.
The way the movie progresses and how we get from Shinji solitude lv.99 to trying small steps again, to take an initiative to do something that gets him past existing to living, only for his efforts to be punched into the garbage bin again, is depicted in a heartfelt way and I can't help but appreciate and admire that.

I mean, we all know that Shinji's journey is like Blink's 'Adam's Song', and we're still to reach the final chorus, but that movie set the tone for that, and I can't wait for the conclusion.

tl;dr, I knew what to expect and still was pleasantly surprised.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

The music and the setting, especially during the second half of the movie. Glorious. I feel that's when people really started noticing shit.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 pm

The fact that they portray science marching on.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:51 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:The music and the setting, especially during the second half of the movie. Glorious. I feel that's when people really started noticing shit.

The N4I event was my favorite of the second half in 3.0. loved the music and the apocalyptic feel of how Anno conveyed it, especially the expressions of horror once Shinji actually witnessed it. :devil:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”