The Idiot Ball in Q - Lazy Writing or Thematically Poignant?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

The Idiot Ball in Q - Lazy Writing or Thematically Poignant?

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:35 pm

[Split from "Why don't the Japanese like Rei Q?" - Monk]

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I find the relationship of 2.0 & 3.0 as diametric opposite reperesentations of Evangelion as a whole very fascinating! One practically panders to fans while the other, aside from a few superficial elements here & there, rejects what fans feel "they've earned" in order to tell a more powerful story.

Perhaps that explains Anno's overuse of the idiot ball in Q -- fans want Shinji to be a badass, so Anno responds with "not only will he not be a badass, he'll be actively stupid. Because that's what you fuckers deserve." Meanwhile everyone else Wille-side (along with ReiQ) gets these little bursts of brilliant development that will make everything worth a damn in Final!

. . . or maybe he's just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, I dunno.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 pm

He was badass. Everything turned to shit mostly due to authorial fiat, but mostly due to the fact that he was put in that position by adults who purposely kept him underinformed, egged him on and then blamed him for doing exactly what they were afraid was going to happen (but never informed him about).

That's what happens when you strap a teenaged boy into a potential god and the only instruction you give him on how to operate it is "center the target and pull the switch".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:59 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:He was badass. Everything turned to shit mostly due to authorial fiat, but mostly due to the fact that he was put in that position by adults who purposely kept him underinformed, egged him on and then blamed him for doing exactly what they were afraid was going to happen (but never informed him about).

That's what happens when you strap a teenaged boy into a potential god and the only instruction you give him on how to operate it is "center the target and pull the switch".

The problem with that line of thinking is that it presumes the command staff (apart from Gendo and Fuyu and maybe Ritsuko) knew a lot more than they probably did. None of them knew that was possible, so how could they possibly warn him about it?

You've got 20/20 hindsight and rewriting history walking hand in hand here, no wonder it's so easy to judge folks!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I can buy Misato not knowing what the Evas are but Ritsuko knows damn well exactly what they do, she says straight up that he's initiating the apocalypse.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I can buy Misato not knowing what the Evas are but Ritsuko knows damn well exactly what they do, she says straight up that he's initiating the apocalypse.

Well yes, Ritsuko did indeed knew that Shinji initiated the apocalypse, but she didn't HOW he did it, so in hind sight she had no idea Shinji would activate Third Impact at the time.

As for ReiQ, you know what I noticed? I would be somewhat lost without this fan base. I probably would have thought that ReiQ is a boring, uninteresting version of the previous Rei, but seeing everyone's theory's, I'm looking at it the other way. ReiQ represents that person trying to find identity with him/her self. Trying to find out what makes you unique. It's sort of juxtaposing Shinji's case in the first two movies, where he was trying to find a purpose in life.

Man, I have to say, I love this forum. This is an awesome community with so many good opinions. :D
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I can buy Misato not knowing what the Evas are but Ritsuko knows damn well exactly what they do, she says straight up that he's initiating the apocalypse.

The fact that Misato and the rest of the bridge staff didn't is a hell of a big "oh yeah, whoops" for your little theory.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 am

Gendo and Fuyutsuki knew fairly well that an Evangelion(or at least some of them, Unit 01 included) could trigger an Impact under the right circumstances. They are part of SEELE or working with them, and the monoliths were talking about using Mark.06 as the catalyst for HIP by making it become a "true god", which includes an Impact. Hell it's even implied in 2.0 that initially this role was intended for Unit 01 until Gendo started his little cold war against SEELE.

And Gendo planned to awaken Unit 01 before SEELE make their next move and trap him against a corner(which they were damn close to do at the end of 2.0 with EVA-04 destroyed, 03 infected, Asuka K.O., EVA-02 trepanned and Shinji and Rei absorbed inside Unit 01), and as revealed in 3.0 getting Rei and Shinji closer and trapping her inside EVA-01 was part of his plan.
And in the end of 2.0, when seemingly all hell was breaking loose, he Kozo(and Kaji) were strangely calm and talking about NERV and SEELE's next moves although supposedly the END OF THE WORLD was happening right in front of them, while Misato, Ritsuko and the Bridge Bunnies were completely freaking out!
That's the proof that there was actually nothing to fear about N3I(thanks to Mark.06), and that whatever happened that obliterated the world, it didn't happened at that moment, but later.

Anyway, back on topic : there was a continent sized Idiot Ball in Q, it was collaboratively wielded by Shinji, Asuka, Kaworu, and briefly by WILLE :

- Shinji, for not listening to Kaworu and Asuka don't don't touch those damned spears, even thought Kaworu is the one knowledgeable and who brought him on this quest

- Asuka, for charging Shinji like a berserker without even trying to tell him why he shouldn't touch those spears, even thought he was willing to talk because he didn't wanted to fight against her and he made it clear that he didn't wanted to bring another Impact, but was manipulated.

- Kaworu for not better explaining what those two spears were supposed to do, and with it why the fact that these two spears are the same thwarted their plan. Oh and also for not ejecting when it was clear that Shinji won't listen, so he couldn't wield the two spears and start this madness.

- WILLE's (well Misato and Ritsuko) for telling to Shinji the DSS Choker purpose too soon : first they should have told him why they think he deserves such a collar(you're an Impact Trigger, you briefly awakened EVA-01 when in space, we don't know what you could have become after spending 14 years inside a god, you obliterated the world), which they probably intended to do at the end of the debriefing had Mark.09 not interrupted, THEN told him what the DSS Choker is, as a consequences of what he did and/or became. That way they wouldn't have antagonized him immediately.

But in the end, I think that what happened in the Wunder was unavoidable since Mark.09 intervened before Shinji knew more about the sensitive informations like Gendo's objectives, SEELE, Rei... and that the idiot ball(especially in Lilith Chamber) was here to fit to Q(and Evangelion as a whole)'s theme : miscommunication and the ravages it could provoke. By telling him right away that they put him a bomb and don't trust him, WILLE unawarely put the stepping stones that would make Shinji willingly follow Mark.09 instead of trying to seek explanations from Misato about what she means with "this is not Rei"; by losing his calm, closing himself and refusing to listen to others Shinji only made his situation even worse and provoked Kaworu's death; by refusing to talk to Shinji, Asuka put him past the breaking point, which made him pull out the spear, start 4I and a chain of events that led to the destruction of her Eva.

It's like a twisted version of the Hedgehog Dilemma where everyone grew metal spines and is trying to harm the other with them to impose its will, not bothering one second about the consequences it could brought.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

thegoodson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thegoodson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 am

I tend to excuse the Idiot Ball as long as the characters making the dumb/unreasonable decisions are still acting within character.

Shinji: blinded by guilt, incomplete information, 3 days without sleep (great find btw), thrown into an intense situation, plus his character has always struggled with being taken away by emotion.

Asuka: let's her anger with Shinji get in the way. Not the worlds best communicator. Saw that he ran off on the Wunder, probably assumed talking wouldn't work. Shinji also appears to be a weak spot considering the one other time we see her lose her cool before the fight is when she punches the window. Outside of snarky remarks, shes reasonably professional when piloting. She didnt really have a chance to walk away and take a breath like she did at the end.

Kaworu: stunned by his failure, and also seems impeded with despair at the inevibility of fate. I think the 4th impact scene is when he realizes that Shinji is fated to suffer before finding happiness, and he will always cause it. Kaworu's always had a sort of conceited "I know the whole story" air to him, and he's struck by how he didn't see it coming, and probably feels like he failed Shinji since he approaches it as "let me handle it Shinji, you're just a sad little boy who needs me to guide you to what you really want".

Wille: this is the hardest to excuse because it seems the most like plot convenience. For it to work you really have to think Misato and Ritsuko aren't being cold out of spite but out of caution. Telling Shinji everything at once about Rei, the clones, his dad, his mom, and the destruction he caused would cause him to pretty much breakdown. At best he's going to be an emotional wreck, at worst his emotions somehow make momma Eva wake up again. I doubt they want that, or to blow him up. This interpretation doesn't hold though if you think Wille's a bunch of douche nozzles. It's also possible Misato told Ritsuko she should be the one to tell him the big things but at that moment in the room was silent because she was hearing all his questions, and she knew the answers were going to crush him. She might have been stalling/working up the courage/figuring out how much or how little to say and how to articulate it, before fate intervened.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 am

View Original Postthegoodson wrote:Wille: this is the hardest to excuse because it seems the most like plot convenience. For it to work you really have to think Misato and Ritsuko aren't being cold out of spite but out of caution. Telling Shinji everything at once about Rei, the clones, his dad, his mom, and the destruction he caused would cause him to pretty much breakdown. At best he's going to be an emotional wreck, at worst his emotions somehow make momma Eva wake up again. I doubt they want that, or to blow him up.

Even then there is evidence that they were trying to tell him slowly what they knew of the situation. (We're still not sure if they know as much as Nerv or Kaworu about this situation.) Heck, in the first 15 minutes of the movie they drop the first bomb of 14 years, and tried to do so tactfully by having Sakura give him her name and relation to Toji. Clearly they were trying to ease Shinji into the new world, but then suddenly Rei showed up and changed everything.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:17 pm

If they really are careful with him, because they are afraid he'll have a breakdown / cause trouble with eva01 whatever, they shouldn't stick machine guns in his face as soon as he wakes. Avoid answering any question he asks. When he suggests to help, he's told to fuck off. And last but not least, they strap a bomb on his neck, because they don't trust him, but they don't bother to explain anything that will make sense for Sinji.

Sinji can be forgiven for owning the idiot-ball due to his personality and ignorance.

Wille however, handled Sinji the wrong way in every way imaginable. This was for me the most frustrating part of the movie. Apparantly everyone is pissed at him for some reason, but no one bothers to explain why. The one hope he had (saving the girl) is apparantly not true, ofcourse he's gonna run of with her if she shows up (wether it's the real girl or not).

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 pm

View Original Postthegoodson wrote:Shinji: 3 days without sleep (great find btw)

I haven't been visiting this part of the forum very often for the past months, so this is news to me. Where exactly did you get that information?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:54 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I haven't been visiting this part of the forum very often for the past months, so this is news to me. Where exactly did you get that information?

I noticed that Shinji's room in neo-NERV don't have any switch from the light(meaning that they are automated and goes off during night), I discovered that the scene where Shinji is brought Toji's shirt is the last time in the movie were Shinji get sleep, between that moment and the end of the movie, two or three days have passed.
More about that here.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

thegoodson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thegoodson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostZoop wrote:If they really are careful with him, because they are afraid he'll have a breakdown / cause trouble with eva01 whatever, they shouldn't stick machine guns in his face as soon as he wakes. Avoid answering any question he asks. When he suggests to help, he's told to fuck off. And last but not least, they strap a bomb on his neck, because they don't trust him, but they don't bother to explain anything that will make sense for Sinji.

Sinji can be forgiven for owning the idiot-ball due to his personality and ignorance.

Wille however, handled Sinji the wrong way in every way imaginable. This was for me the most frustrating part of the movie. Apparantly everyone is pissed at him for some reason, but no one bothers to explain why. The one hope he had (saving the girl) is apparantly not true, ofcourse he's gonna run of with her if she shows up (wether it's the real girl or not).

Can't really say I agree with you there. To me, its them hedging their bets. Shinji comes out of the coma, and they're not 100% sure that its him. The machine guns are in the middle of the interrogation, and the choker hasn't yet been activated. They need to be ready in case he tries anything. We know its Shinji, they don't. We know he's not capable of splattering them up the walls with Angel mind powers ala Tetsuo, they don't. Doing this also establishes dominance early on. Outcome 1: Shinji ends up being a threat, and they can overpower him easily. Outcome 2: Shinji's not a threat, but he immediately assumes a submissive position, and establishes them as in control. Its a safe bet on Wille's part. Feelings aren't top priority, but that doesn't mean that they do not factor in. Damage is guaranteed, its about limiting how much of it there is. The fact is Shinji is in a shitty position that started when he got in the robot the first time.

They avoid answering questions at that moment. As the audience we're in league with Shinji because we want the answers too. But they have bigger fish to fry, and once its established that Shinji is probably just himself, he becomes an oblivious kid asking a bunch of questions in the middle of a battle. Stick that on any warship, regardless if the captain has a relationship with the kid, the kid's bound to get ignored and addressed curtly. Just because they don't answer stuff then doesn't mean they weren't going to before shit got real. A time and a place for everything. When you're in charge of making big life or death decisions, you're priorities really come into focus.

In retrospect was it the wrong thing to do? Well yeah, and I'm sure the characters would have done it differently too in hindisight. But its knowledge they don't have in the moment. They can't afford to coddle him, and they're stretched to thin to even make an effort. But making the wrong decision doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't well reasoned. Assume Mark 09 didn't show up. The next scene would have probably been Misato doing the Fuyutsuki info dump, and Shinji having the same reaction, except Sakura would have been there to tell him "Shhh, no more tears".

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:35 pm

I think that Wille's treatment of Shinji was a mix of wanting to manage him, and fear about him.

Fear because what he could have become : they told him to never pilot an Eva again because somehow he have the ability to Awake them, and to drive their point him... they put him a DSS Choker, a device initially designed for Kaworu, an Angel. They also said that they don't trust him, trust him to do what? Stay put and don't get into an Eva, why would they even get concerned about that : he's a scrawny 14 years old boy in a completely alien situation and inside a giant battleship which he doesn't have any idea of the layout and full of trained soldiers, and they didn't even thought that neo-NERV could have any interest on him, so why the hell did they put him a DSS Choker? Just put in a cell and the job is down, he's no Solid Snake!

Did they feared that he could pull a NGE!Kaworu and gently float while mentally commanding an Eva to wreck havoc while generating an AT Field to protect himself until he reach the armored pod where EVA-01 is contained and finish what he started 14 years ago?
And what if it's exactly what they fear? Last time we saw Shinji, his eyes turned red(like Kaworu's) and he awoke his Eva and started an Impact(like Kaworu, an Angel could do). And his eyes started turning red a few seconds before his entry plug got all Technicolor, there is the possibility that after N3I Nerv recuperated the Eva's black box, examined the contents and witnessed this moment, wondering just what the fuck Shinji Ikari really is.

Now about the debriefing, Misato, Ritsuko and Sakura clearly wanted to give him the informations slowly, where they screwed was in the order of the revelations :
First they told him where he is(AAA Wunder), where is EVA-01(serving as the Wunder's main engine) why he can't pilot(previous point plus his synch-rate now at 0.00%) then immediately continued by telling that since somehow he unconsciously briefly awoke EVA-01 in space, they put him a DSS Choker as a symbol of a "punishment" and the fact they don't trust him... why? Why wouldn't they trust him? From his point of view, last time they met he was saving their ass from being vaporized by Zeruel! And why punishing him by putting him a fucking collar bomb?!
And notice how Ritsuko diverts his questioning(why are you doing that?) by asking to Sakura to present herself, revealing the 14 years time skip.

Thankfully the diversion succeeded(well, that was a fairly big diversion) but still the 14 time skip has nothing to do about why they put a bomb around his neck and want to punish him. Asuka coming, triggering a reaction of joy and relief in Shinji continued to divert his attention, who diverted the topic on Rei, at which point Mark.09 attacks and ruin WILLE's chance to explain everything to Shinji and finally immunize him against Gendo's manipulations(something Gendo couldn't let pass of course!)

But for me that doesn't change the fact that they told him about the DSS Choker detonation function and it symbolizing his punishment and their mistrust in him, because that immediately antagonized him, Asuka throwing her tantrum and Misato telling him that "Rei is no more" only serving to enrage him even more, and finally ignoring him when Mark.09 attacked(albeit for good reasons, priorities in a warship and all like thegoodson said) being the last straw that broke the camel's back, and prompted him to call for Rei and get out with her(his line "Enough!" just before he called for Rei wasn't chosen at random, he really is fed up with them making him feel unwanted)

The fact they diverted the topic when he asked why they are punishing him and don't trust him and showing it with a anti-Angel bomb is an hint that they wanted to give the revelations easily, little by little, but they wouldn't had to divert the topic if they didn't told him since the beginning that they are punishing and mistrusting him, when Shinji asked "what does it do", Ritsuko should have answered "it's a safety device that prevent Awakenings, a physical security for us, I will come back on that later", and told him about what he exactly do only after showing him what he did to deserve said punishment, be it because he destroyed the world, almost destroyed it but" thanks God that this fubking Angel was here to stop you but still you screwed up hard", or because they feared what he could have become after his experience inside EVA-01, or maybe some of these reasons at the same time.

And only after that, tell him that because of this(these) reason(s), they can't take any risks/he must be punished, and that this Choker is here for that, and that if he does something stupid they can kill him with it, or it will kill him automatically if somehow he gets into an Eva and awakes it, because there is too much at stake. Then there is a good chance that he would have understand why they are acting the way they do.

Alas, 14 years living in a red wasteland and commandeering troops, making her little more than a soldier at heart, probably destroyed most of Misato's former tact to deal with children(not that said tact was fabulous to begin with...), and Ritsuko never had any tact to begin with, so maybe we could assume that both did their best with a situation they probably didn't face since Asuka and Mari turned (mentally) 18.

That and the fact Mark.09's fist going through the wall make this Idiot Ball moment of WILLE moot, so in the end that was an "aborted" Idiot Ball! :lol:
But an Idiot Ball nonetheless.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Somewhere in the /a/ archives will be the "ten minutes in the shower anon" who came up with a quite simple protocol for WILLE to keep Shinji on-side, involving a measure of half-truth and exaggeration for effect -- starting with "we're still working to get Rei back".

Perhaps the communications failure theme can be expanded to "and sometimes a little white lie is better than the wrong half of the truth"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:18 pm

This might be inherent to Evangelion in general, but I've always found it stupid that some mentally unstable kid is put into a billion-dollar machine god without ever warning or informing him of the possible dangers. Now of course, this is mostly Gendo's plan, to keep him misinformed. But the kid saved everyone's lives multiple times, even when he didn't want to pilot anymore.

Next, we don't know you, go sit in a corner with a bomb around your neck.

It just didn't feel right. Anno successfully transferred sinji's frustrations to the viewer. That's the whole point I suppose, but it just felt too forced. Like they were deliberately trying to mess with him. This isn't miscommunication, this is keeping someone in the dark.

If they really were going to inform him slowly, it would have been better to keep him locked up a little longer, do some more tests to know for sure it's him. Let a computer tell him what happened, and what the situation is. Instead they reunite him with the people he used to know (including his guardian!) and they expect him to shut up and do nothing. Christ, what's the point in the reunion then anyway?
If this is all professional military courtesy, then they should have kept him locked up.

Those missing 14 years better make Sinji a bigger douchebag than we have seen up till now, his treatment is simply unjustified.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 pm

The mere fact Misato and Ritsuko, the two commanders of WILLE's fleet and thus people who certainly had many other things to do, took the time to specially prepare a room for his debriefing(the room was called "provisional quarantine visiting room") and then go personally explain to Shinji about the events that happened during the time skip is a proof that they have a minimum of concern for him(at least Misato)
They could have ordered Sakura to do the debriefing alone, or ordered any random officer to do it, but whatever hard revelation they had in stock for him(like the fact the shiny collar he has around the neck is actually a bomb, or what he did to deserves said bomb) would pass more easily if it's someone that he knows that give him the reveal.

Imagine that Misato and Ritsuko didn't bothered to go to debrief him personally, and instead just sent someone else, or worst let him on his cell and let a record on a computer tell him everything, wouldn't that made them looks like even bigger assholes?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah, I really don't think this is a case of lazy writing. Sure, the characters may not being making the right choices 100% of the time (though I will concede that Misato is putting fourth her best effort), but telling someone that 14 years have passed and that he triggered a lot of nasty things is a very unique situation to be in. There really is no right way to handle something like that.

Conspicuous
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conspicuous » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Honestly, while I think that while a lot of characters made a lot of really dumb decisions, I have a hard time to think of any that would actually be out of character stupid.

Shinji's mental state and conditioning make his failures to be expected, Kaworu's failures were borne from an earnest desire but working on an incomplete understanding, Ritsuko was always pretty cold and direct, so her behaviour is nothing new and Asuka's decisions were pretty much all rational, if not particularly pleasant.

Misato seems to be the worst case, since she was previously established as actually a pretty decent parent in Rebuild, but given how Shinji is literally on apocalypse-levels of dangerous, the methods she took were understandable. And when we take into account that she's now the person who has to take all the big life-or-death decisions over the crew, combined with possible guilt over her encouragement of Shinji, it's not too hard to believe that she would have changed significantly over those fourteen years.

So no, I don't think that Idiot Ball is the right term to use. The plot runs on really dumb decisions, but those all flow from established traits and were pretty predictable.
Of course, this also means that all the characters are to be held responsible for their deeds, and they'll need to make up for them in 4.0.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:24 pm

^
I agreed with your post, except for Asuka, through the whole movie she seemed completely irrational with regard to Shinji, first there was her tantrum in the interrogation room, then in the final fight with her utter lack of willingness to talk to Shinji about why he shouldn't touch the spears, even thought Shinji was really willing to talk.
And you could eventually add the moment where she called for his help during operation US, something very "un-Asuka", requesting support from Mari yes, but asking someone to save her?(because clearly by "do something" she was meaning "get me out of this situation")

Clearly Shinji's case is a very sore spot for her, and make her react irrationally and with her emotions rather than her head, something that contributed in almost dooming mankind with N4I.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”